Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 552217 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #8640 on: January 29, 2018, 09:00:40 pm »
Chief Wahoo done as of 2019

well thats good. Although  I read that they will still sell merchandise with it on at the ballpark and in Clevelend, which is somewhat daft.

I wonder what is next, will they somehow get Atlanta fans to drop that dreadful Mohawk chop chant!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8641 on: January 29, 2018, 09:12:55 pm »
Nice to see Jim Thome,Chi pper Jones and my fav player of all time in Vladimir Guerrero were named as HoF inductees last week,all 3 were classy players.

Interesting that Vlad's son on the same day was rated number 1 offensive prospect in baseball.

He’s only 18, yet he was recently promoted to high-A Dunedin, where the average player is five years older. He’s yet to reach a level he can’t dominate. He may never. “It’s incredible,” says Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins. “Everyone who sees him says the exact same thing: ‘He can hit in the major leagues right now.’ You don’t hear that too often about a guy in A-ball. And at his age? You don’t hear that at all.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/big-read-vlad-guerrero-jr-best-blue-jays-prospect-generation/

Looks like the Blue Jays have a star on their hands.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:15:49 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8642 on: January 29, 2018, 09:14:43 pm »
The Jays farm system is improving. Bichette is a shortstop that is rising on the rankings lists at a rate of knots and you already referenced Guerrero being one of the most highly rated prospects in all of baseball. We have Alford and a few pretty solid arms as well. If we did trade Donaldson we'd get a nice haul too.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8643 on: January 29, 2018, 09:18:50 pm »
Dante Bichette's son. Feel old hearing that

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8644 on: January 30, 2018, 05:52:25 pm »
If anyone plays fantasy baseball i have a few open teams in a $60 30 team dynasty i run.

Details: http://dynastysportshq.com/thread-26818.html

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8645 on: January 31, 2018, 04:25:21 pm »
If anyone plays fantasy baseball i have a few open teams in a $60 30 team dynasty i run.

Details: http://dynastysportshq.com/thread-26818.html

Would love to do a fantasy baseball league but this looks kind of complicated. 

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8646 on: February 4, 2018, 03:54:42 pm »
Fantastic article on why teams are not spending big this off season.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/02/02/brodie-van-wagenen-agent-free-agency-market

This paragraph nails it.

Here’s an example of the old way: the 2014 White Sox went 73–89. Only two teams in the American League gave up more runs. They were eighth in runs scored while striking out more than all but one team in the league. By any measure, they were not very good. But they had Jose Abreu and Chris Sale, and GM Rick Hahn didn’t want to let their primes pass without trying to win.

So this is what the White Sox did that winter: they dropped $132 million on free agents Dave Robertson, Melky Cabrera, Adam LaRoche, Zach Duke and Emilio Bonifacio. What happened? They went 76–86. They spent $132 million for three more meaningless wins. They spent money when they weren’t ready to win.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8647 on: February 4, 2018, 11:36:12 pm »
Would love to do a fantasy baseball league but this looks kind of complicated. 

It's challenging; basically fantasy baseball mixed with real-life team building. Those that take to it usually become hooked.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8648 on: February 10, 2018, 09:48:55 pm »
Cubs have agreed a 6 year contract with Yu Darvish according to MLB. He'll receive a guaranteed $126m and he will have opt out and no trade clauses. Cubs' rotation will be elite.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8649 on: February 14, 2018, 12:45:02 pm »
The evil empire is back. 8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QSRD5x3o9MM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QSRD5x3o9MM</a>

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8650 on: February 20, 2018, 04:41:50 pm »
The biggest  free agent bat this off season finally signed.

J.D Martinez signed for a bargain 5 year $110 million,his agent Scott Boras wanted him to get a $200 million  8 year contract and RedSox cleverly held off knowing no one would pay that and with Spring Training starting he took the earlier Red Sox offer.

Another Boras free agent client Eric Hosmer wanted a 8 year $200 million deal and ended up signing with the Padres for 8 years $144 million last week.

Looks like those analytic work those Yale/Harvard/MIT nerds who are in Baseball clubs (Moneyball book influence) now has wised up the owners and general managers,no one is going to be throwing big money  multi year contracts to  offensive players in the late 20's early 30' when the hitting decline starts,some horrible contracts right now with Cabrera Cano Pujols and Votto that will be paying them in the late 30's to early 40's at $25-$35 million a  year when they are so far past it.

And then you have terrible contracts like Jason Heyward,Carl crawford,Chris Davis and Jacoby Ellsbury,baseball teams have wasted so much money this last decade.

Clubs will be doing big contracts like Mike Trout's and Giancarlo Stanton before they hit arbitration and tie them long term in their prime years.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:46:31 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8651 on: February 21, 2018, 09:59:51 pm »
Think Arizona might've got themselves a nice replacement for Martinez in Souza Jr though. He strikes out a ton of course but he's a good defender, has a ton of power and steals some bases. On a cheap contract for the next 2 seasons too.

As for the Jays, how we do depends on injuries. We need our aces to pitch every 5 days and Donaldson to mash to have any chance.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8652 on: March 20, 2018, 04:45:46 pm »
Jose Altuve signs a 5 year 151 million extension till 2024.

Well deserved and good to see him get big money as he's one of the best players in the game.

I think this deal shows they was no collusion from the team owners,this years free agent class was pretty average.

This Altuve deal shows the owners will spend the money on the right players and next winter big money will be spent as they are some big stars hitting free agency.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8653 on: March 20, 2018, 05:08:13 pm »
Jose Altuve signs a 5 year 151 million extension till 2024.

Well deserved and good to see him get big money as he's one of the best players in the game.

I think this deal shows they was no collusion from the team owners,this years free agent class was pretty average.

This Altuve deal shows the owners will spend the money on the right players and next winter big money will be spent as they are some big stars hitting free agency.

This year players have been fucked over, collusion or not.

Personally I believe it's owners and front offices all being smarter, with a system that allows them to fuck players over.  The MLBPA needs a new Marvin Miller in their corner right now.  If Teams are no longer willing to pay for a players decline years (And I understand why they won't) Then players need to get paid for their prime years.  Altuve getting what's his doesn't let teams off the hook for refusing to pony up for all the perfectly good players they didn't pay.  Not when revenues are through the roof for every team.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8654 on: March 20, 2018, 05:11:16 pm »
Looking forward to the season starting. Tulowitzki trade really has not worked out for us. Not quite as bad as trading away Syndergaard though. 

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8655 on: March 20, 2018, 05:14:56 pm »
An article in the times that the Yankees and RedSox are going to play a 2 game series at the olympic stadium in June 2019.

BBC reporting it now.

The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox are "very close" to agreeing a deal to play two Major League Baseball regular season games in London in June 2019.

The venue would be London Stadium, which is home to Premier League football club West Ham United.

Details are still to be agreed, but if the fixtures take place, they would be the first MLB games hosted in Europe.

Proposals to host 2019 Cricket World Cup matches at London Stadium at the same time have not been affected.

The Cricket World Cup runs from 30 May to 14 July, but it is understood both sports could be accommodated in a short space of time.

A spokesperson for Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: "The mayor remains determined to bring Major League Baseball to London and talks are ongoing with the organisers."

MLB matches have already been staged outside the USA in Mexico, Japan, Puerto Rico, and most recently at Australia's Sydney Cricket Ground in March 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/43473214

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8656 on: March 21, 2018, 12:16:24 pm »
This year players have been fucked over, collusion or not.

Personally I believe it's owners and front offices all being smarter, with a system that allows them to fuck players over.  The MLBPA needs a new Marvin Miller in their corner right now.  If Teams are no longer willing to pay for a players decline years (And I understand why they won't) Then players need to get paid for their prime years.  Altuve getting what's his doesn't let teams off the hook for refusing to pony up for all the perfectly good players they didn't pay.  Not when revenues are through the roof for every team.

I think teams have come to the realization that there is no point in handing out tons of money for declining performance and be burdened by albatross contracts (Pujols, Cabrera, Votto). It's about being smarter

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8657 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:47 pm »
Trout's contract is going to be truly monstrous. Dodgers or Yankees will be where he lands in my opinion, can't see any other team having the financial capability.

Offline ErieRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #8658 on: March 21, 2018, 01:22:42 pm »
Depending on how they fare with next winter's Machado/Harper sweepstakes -- and they'll be all in at around $400 million -- the Phillies will be able to make a strong play for Trout, who's from the area and is a season ticket holder for the Eagles.  If they lose out next winter on one of the big two, they'll be back with a vengeance for Trout and they'll have the scratch to make it happen. 

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8659 on: March 21, 2018, 01:37:12 pm »
Trout's contract is going to be truly monstrous. Dodgers or Yankees will be where he lands in my opinion, can't see any other team having the financial capability.
Trout will end up at the Phillies,he has an affinity for all things Philly,they are the team he idolised,he'll be 28/29 when he hits free agency.

Phillies payroll right now is a ridiculous 39 million dollars and that's after getting Jake Arrieta and Carlos Santana this winter. ;D

They have rich ownership and are building now and blooded a lot of young players the last 2 seasons and have over 160 million to spend to get under the luxury tax,so they are going to be one of the big spenders the next 2-3 seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Boras doing a mega deal for Harper to go to the Phillies and have Trout and Harper eventually on the same team with so much salary space they could do that.

Another Harper thing i've seen discussed is for next off season is Stanton traded to the Dodgers that gives the Yankees a shot at getting Harper,Yankees need a left handed slugger,the power bats in that Yankees line much has to much right handed power.

Boone still cannot find a settled line up in spring training because of that righty bias and has said Judge could be hitting 2nd in the line up. ;D

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:39:10 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8660 on: March 21, 2018, 01:40:37 pm »
Trout will end up at the Phillies,he has an affinity for all things Philly,they are the team he idolised,he'll be 28/29 when he hits free agency.

Phillies payroll right now is a ridiculous 39 million dollars and that's after getting Jake Arrieta and Carlos Santana this winter. ;D

They have rich ownership and are building now and blooded a lot of young players the last 2 seasons and have over 160 million to spend to get under the luxury tax,so they are going to be one of the big spenders the next 2-3 seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Boras doing a mega deal for Harper to go to the Phillies and have Trout and Harper eventually on the same team with so much salary space they could do that.

Another Harper thing i've seen discussed is for next off season is Stanton traded to the Dodgers that gives the Yankees a shot at getting Harper,Yankees need a left handed slugger,the power bats in that Yankees line much as to much right handed power.

Boone still cannot find a settled line up in spring training because of that righty bias and has said Judge could be hitting 2nd in the line up. ;D

Fair enough, forgot about the Phillies to be honest. Why would the Dodgers trade for Stanton when they could just pursue Harper themselves? Suppose their lineup does have Seager and Bellinger as left-handed bats at the top of the order but Harper is simply better than Stanton.

The free agent list next year is absolutely insane. MVP and CY Young candidates galore. Kimbrel, Britton and Andrew Miller will be there too.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:45:28 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8661 on: March 21, 2018, 02:03:12 pm »
Fair enough, forgot about the Phillies to be honest. Why would the Dodgers trade for Stanton when they could just pursue Harper themselves? Suppose their lineup does have Seager and Bellinger as left-handed bats at the top of the order but Harper is simply better than Stanton.

The free agent list next year is absolutely insane. MVP and CY Young candidates galore. Kimbrel, Britton and Andrew Miller will be there too.
Stanton is from LA and the Dodgers were his first option.

Dodgers couldn't get the deal done because they wanted to reset their luxury tax if they get under it for this season.

Going to be crazy the sweepstakes for Harper,to many permutations at where he could end up and Scott Boras is going to rinse a team whoever signs him.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #8662 on: March 22, 2018, 10:14:21 am »
Going to see baseball in chicago when i go next month, heard a "match" usually goes on for 4 hours?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8663 on: March 22, 2018, 10:28:21 am »
Going to see baseball in chicago when i go next month, heard a "match" usually goes on for 4 hours?

Some games could last that long. Most are probably in the three hour range

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8664 on: March 22, 2018, 11:54:29 am »

I hope you are going to see the Cubbies not the Sox  ;D

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8665 on: March 27, 2018, 04:22:43 pm »
I think teams have come to the realization that there is no point in handing out tons of money for declining performance and be burdened by albatross contracts (Pujols, Cabrera, Votto). It's about being smarter

I completely agree.  Nobody in their sane mind should pay for a player who is past his best and only going to get worse.  My problem is that the system already allows teams to underpay players in their peak years.

In the past, a star could sign a mega-contract he shouldn't, thanks to owners or what not.  If he can't, then the players union should be fixing a system that fucks them over from the moment they begin playing.

As it is, no player has any bargaining power, unless they are an outlier like Harper.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8666 on: March 27, 2018, 05:00:33 pm »
I completely agree.  Nobody in their sane mind should pay for a player who is past his best and only going to get worse.  My problem is that the system already allows teams to underpay players in their peak years.

In the past, a star could sign a mega-contract he shouldn't, thanks to owners or what not.  If he can't, then the players union should be fixing a system that fucks them over from the moment they begin playing.

As it is, no player has any bargaining power, unless they are an outlier like Harper.
Trout's agent probably wished he never got him to sign that contract with the way baseball seems to be going.

He's a free agent in 2020 at 29 years old,they say the physical decline  in position players starts at 30-31

He plays a position where he gets banged up a lot in CF and now those nerds in front offices will factor in that with how will his body stand up going into his 30's,he missed a chunk of last season through injury.

In today's Baseball environment will Harper get the $400 million plus 10 year contract  that everyone expects just from his durability so far,he's been playing in the big leagues for 6 years and in 2013 played 111 games,2014 100 games and last season 117,he only played a year of minor league baseball and played his first full season at 18,will his body break down quicker than someone who broke through in the early 20's?

Scott Boras has been saying recently that baseball free agency will start to see long deals  now being 5 year contracts.

Jason Heyward lucked out,i knew that contract would be terrible money spent by the Cubs and posted it on this thread at the time,his numbers just didn't warrant that kind of money.,

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8667 on: March 28, 2018, 06:59:33 am »
Vlad Guerrero Jr ripped a walk-off HR in Montreal in the final game of spring training ;D He's going to be an absolute stud.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #8668 on: March 28, 2018, 11:44:30 am »
Went to the Red Sox-Cubs final pre-season game yesterday in a 10K capacity ground and EXACT replica of Fenway. The game was sold out and although it's Boston's home stadium I'd say 70% were Cubs fans. Nice day out.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8669 on: March 28, 2018, 11:51:29 am »
Vlad Guerrero Jr ripped a walk-off HR in Montreal in the final game of spring training ;D He's going to be an absolute stud.
Baseball needs the Montreal Expos back.

They should move the Tampa Rays there.

Vlad Jnr i going to be some player,looks like he has the same batting stance as his Dad.

Does he have the ridiculous missile throwing arm like his Dad as well. :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jdzM02BgL-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jdzM02BgL-k</a>

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8670 on: March 28, 2018, 11:56:42 am »

They should move the Tampa Rays there.

Vlad Jnr i going to be some player,looks like he has the same batting stance as his Dad.

Does he have the ridiculous missile throwing arm like his Dad as well. :D

MLB have his arm as an above average tool, so not quite as good as his dad's ;D Think he's the best offensive prospect in baseball though to be honest. Looking at a guy that can mash 30 odd homers with an exceptional average and on base percentage.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8671 on: March 28, 2018, 12:40:56 pm »

Nah. It would only work if a baseball-specifc stadium was built. And that ain't happening, particularly since Montreal's new mayor (rightly) isn't interested in subsidizing one. Attendance was notably down for this year's set of games, which will also have an impact.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #8672 on: March 28, 2018, 06:00:00 pm »
I hope you are going to see the Cubbies not the Sox  ;D

Yep it's the cubbies

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8673 on: March 28, 2018, 07:02:07 pm »
Yep it's the cubbies

that's good! Enjoy. Wrigley Field is great and Wrigleyville the neighborhood is fun.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #8674 on: March 28, 2018, 07:11:36 pm »
Springtime = Baseball
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8675 on: March 28, 2018, 07:13:33 pm »
Nah. It would only work if a baseball-specifc stadium was built. And that ain't happening, particularly since Montreal's new mayor (rightly) isn't interested in subsidizing one. Attendance was notably down for this year's set of games, which will also have an impact.

Agree. That town is relatively broke and mafor sports in North America need stadium welfare dollars or won’t move there.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8676 on: March 28, 2018, 07:13:37 pm »
When are we posting  this upcoming season's predictions.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8677 on: March 28, 2018, 07:14:36 pm »
Springtime = Baseball

Can't wait for tomorrow even though I know the Jays have no chance of winning the division. Shame we couldn't get Fantasy baseball going, but don't think there's much interest?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8678 on: March 28, 2018, 11:41:28 pm »
Salvador Perez out 4-6 weeks with a MCL injury caused by slipping while carrying luggage

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8679 on: March 29, 2018, 01:28:30 am »

Can't wait for tomorrow even though I know the Jays have no chance of winning the division. Shame we couldn't get Fantasy baseball going, but don't think there's much interest?

At least there is hope for the future

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tq_-34ojvyA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tq_-34ojvyA</a>