Author Topic: Any Baseball Lovers Around  (Read 552292 times)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Any Baseball Lovers Around
« Reply #8600 on: November 1, 2017, 10:28:47 am »
Game 7 wooooot!!!

Watching that tonight.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8601 on: November 1, 2017, 10:54:10 am »
Disappointing that Houston couldn't take their chances and they didn't make Jansen work much either. He managed to get 6 outs on 19 pitches.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8602 on: November 1, 2017, 11:18:39 am »
i won't be surprised if Dodgers win comfortably in Game 7

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8603 on: November 1, 2017, 11:42:06 am »
I think the Dodgers win too. I just hope I'm able to stay up until the end of the game tonight.  Fuck me, I'm getting old. 

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8604 on: November 2, 2017, 02:37:17 am »
Houston's well in control.

5-0 up in the 5th inning.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8605 on: November 2, 2017, 07:49:28 am »
Well done Houston, happily admit i was wrong for game 7 as i was cheering for Astros. Darvish was pitching like a whirling dervish ;)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8606 on: November 2, 2017, 09:31:21 am »
I'm glad the Astros won it! Springer was unreal in the World Series.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8607 on: November 2, 2017, 10:25:18 am »
I'm glad the Astros won it! Springer was unreal in the World Series.

That SI cover from 2014 is amazing. They even picked Springer for the cover.

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8608 on: November 2, 2017, 10:37:08 am »

Quite, I bet Ben Reiter is feeling pretty great right now  :D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #8609 on: November 2, 2017, 01:31:57 pm »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8610 on: November 2, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »

Amazing foresight.

Moneyball doesn't work in football but does in baseball.

Those A's in the early 00's nearly did it with that young rotation of Zito Mulder and Hudson and a batting line up that got as many walks as it did hits. ;D

Then Boston did their version when our Owners bought them in 2001,and they just traded and signed hitters for 2 seasons who had high on base percentages and broke the bambino curse and won a couple of championships,that team from 03-07 was ridiculous for how many walks they got,wasn't a surprise to see an opposing starter out in the 4th inning with a high pitch count facing that Redsox lineup.The Yanks-Redsox rivalry in that span was amazing,regular season games were like post season games.

Kansas City royals got to 2 world series in a row with their version of Moneyball and won a championship.

I can see this Astros team winning it again next season and the season after and creating a dynasty,that young core of that team is a few years away from free agency,it'sa great story what they have done over there especially when they came over to t he American league and were just awful for 2 seasons.

« Last Edit: November 2, 2017, 07:05:31 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8611 on: November 2, 2017, 07:08:22 pm »
My Giants will be back to win it next year, it's an even year anyways ;)

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8612 on: November 3, 2017, 12:30:32 am »
I can see this Astros team winning it again next season and the season after and creating a dynasty,that young core of that team is a few years away from free agency,it'sa great story what they have done over there especially when they came over to t he American league and were just awful for 2 seasons.

And to think, in 2013, with the first overall pick, the Astros selected Mark Appel...

Some kid named Kris Bryant was taken second overall.

Imagine if the Astros drafted him too, haha.

Of course, many things would be different, but imagine that potential infield if you moved Bryant to first.  Wowzers.
King Kenny.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #8613 on: November 7, 2017, 09:33:18 pm »

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8614 on: November 7, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »
Roy Halladay has been killed in plane crash  :(

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/roy-halladay-killed-plane-crash-age-40-211714002.html

Only he and Don Larsen ever pitched no-hitters in a postseason game.  Seemed to be a total mensch too. RIP.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8615 on: November 7, 2017, 09:53:27 pm »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/roy-halladay-killed-plane-crash-age-40-211714002.html
one of the few baseball players I know a bit about, so sad this

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #8616 on: November 7, 2017, 09:54:42 pm »

Fucking awful. Gutted. Probably my favorite pitcher ever to put on a Phillies uniform. Humble, hard worker with a good sense of humor. So many good memories.

He was beloved here in Philadelphia, and I would imagine the same is true for Toronto.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8617 on: November 7, 2017, 10:01:18 pm »

So sad, he was ace and always seemed like a nice guy. RIP.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #8618 on: November 7, 2017, 11:44:52 pm »
Fucking awful. Gutted. Probably my favorite pitcher ever to put on a Phillies uniform. Humble, hard worker with a good sense of humor. So many good memories.

He was beloved here in Philadelphia, and I would imagine the same is true for Toronto.

Oh, we absolutely loved him here. Humanitarian (would invite sick kids and their families to "Doc's Box" at the Rogers Centre) and all around great guy. He signed a 1-day contract with Toronto so he could retire as a Jay. Absolutely shocking news. He was 40 years old.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8619 on: November 9, 2017, 10:20:48 pm »
Just found out about Halladay after some Boston radio host made a shocking comment while reading the NY post just now.

Shocking news.

He used to own the Yankees when he pitched  with the Blue Jays,for a few years in the 00's he was one of or if not the best pitcher in baseball.

RIP.

« Last Edit: November 9, 2017, 10:24:02 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8620 on: November 16, 2017, 11:59:22 pm »
Jose Altuve is year's AL MVP, unsurprisingly.

Giancarlo Stanton edged out Joey Votto by 2 votes, 302-300, to win the NL award. Altuve and Stanton become the shortest and tallest MVP winners too :-)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8621 on: November 17, 2017, 01:01:19 am »
Have there been any good tv series (or documentaries, I suppose) that heavily feature baseball?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8622 on: November 17, 2017, 01:05:51 am »
Have there been any good tv series (or documentaries, I suppose) that heavily feature baseball?

Ken Burns documentary Baseball

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8623 on: November 17, 2017, 01:19:15 am »
Ken Burns documentary Baseball

Well I've been watching The Vietnam War and had no idea he'd done a baseball documentary. Was hoping there'd be something heavy on the culture, so that's a home run on the first pitch, thanks very much! Exactly the kind of thing I'm craving

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8624 on: November 17, 2017, 01:30:57 pm »

Well I've been watching The Vietnam War and had no idea he'd done a baseball documentary. Was hoping there'd be something heavy on the culture, so that's a home run on the first pitch, thanks very much! Exactly the kind of thing I'm craving

:wave Happy to have helped. It was originally completed in 1994 with nine episodes. He then issued a "10th inning" additional film in 2010, which covered the period between 1994 and 2009.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8625 on: November 17, 2017, 03:02:44 pm »
Joey Votto has been my favourite player in Baseball for a few years,he should be playing for a better team.

He has albatross of a contract for a small market team,10 years $225 million with 7 years and $150 million left.

He's worth every penny for his offensive stats and i wouldn't be surprised to see one of the big teams go for him and the Reds get that huge contract off their payroll and rebuild again.

He could be a very good DH in a couple of years for a AL team,a .313 career hitter and his on base percentage throughout his career is phenomenal,put him with better hitters around him and he would be a 40 HR plus 120-130 RBI a season player.

I see the Dodger are close to getting Stanton.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8626 on: November 17, 2017, 05:05:28 pm »
Stanton is reported to be a boyhood Dodgers fan. Sounds like he's only interested in going to Giants or Dodgers

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8627 on: November 18, 2017, 09:36:45 pm »
Joey Votto has been my favourite player in Baseball for a few years,he should be playing for a better team.

He has albatross of a contract for a small market team,10 years $225 million with 7 years and $150 million left.

He's worth every penny for his offensive stats and i wouldn't be surprised to see one of the big teams go for him and the Reds get that huge contract off their payroll and rebuild again.

I'm sure the Reds would love to trade him and either shed that contract or recoup some top-tier prospects, but Votto has a full no-trade clause and everything I've read suggests he has no desire to play for a different team. I'm also very fond of Votto and would love to see him on a perennial contender.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8628 on: December 8, 2017, 09:51:19 pm »
Ohtani ends with the Angels. Most analysts suspected he was going to the Mariners

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8629 on: December 9, 2017, 04:30:09 pm »
Derek Jeter with one of the most unbelievable plays you will ever see by a shortstop.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8630 on: December 9, 2017, 04:31:07 pm »
Derek Jeter with one of the most unbelievable plays you will ever see by a shortstop.

Acquiring Stanton for the sum of fuck all

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8631 on: December 9, 2017, 04:35:56 pm »
Ohtani ends with the Angels. Most analysts suspected he was going to the Mariners
I read last week after he turned down the Yankees that he also told the Cubs RedSox Dodgers not to bother trying to get him as he wants to play for a team with no pressure and where he is to be the star of the team.  :lmao

Not sure why he went to the Angels,they are massive underachievers in a big market and have the best player and face of baseball in Trout there,Mariners would have been a perfect fit,they suck and his ego would have fit over there playing for a team no one notices much.

At least he has a short flight to Japan on the west coast.

Hahah Just seen the post above....Jeter still loved by the Yankees.

Jesus this is like getting Arod in 2003. ;D

Nice.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8632 on: December 9, 2017, 04:38:46 pm »
The pressure on Ohtani is going to be unreal. A good start for him is essential.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8633 on: December 9, 2017, 04:47:31 pm »
Just reading that Castro is going to the Marlins in return.

Yankees will finally get the #1 best prospect in baseball Gleyber Torres on the field to 2nd base.

Line up is pretty stacked like the 00's Yankees,next winter they are getting Manny Machado for 3rd base and get in the sweepstakes for Kershaw when he opts out.

Pressure on Aaron "Fucking" Boone is going to be immense for a rookie manager.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8634 on: December 10, 2017, 11:53:54 pm »
Jack Morris and Alan Trammell into the HOF via the modern era committee.  Sort of knew Morris would make it.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #8635 on: December 11, 2017, 11:27:31 pm »

He will always be a Yankee only helping his team out.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #8636 on: December 11, 2017, 11:28:06 pm »
Just reading that Castro is going to the Marlins in return.

Yankees will finally get the #1 best prospect in baseball Gleyber Torres on the field to 2nd base.

Line up is pretty stacked like the 00's Yankees,next winter they are getting Manny Machado for 3rd base and get in the sweepstakes for Kershaw when he opts out.

Pressure on Aaron "Fucking" Boone is going to be immense for a rookie manager.

Exciting times again for Yankees baseball.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8637 on: December 12, 2017, 06:48:19 pm »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8638 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:00 pm »
Chief Wahoo done as of 2019

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8639 on: January 29, 2018, 08:57:03 pm »
Brewers are going for it this year.