Author Topic: Sporting Lisbon in Crisis  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Sporting Lisbon in Crisis
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:15:02 pm »
The short of it is...

A few weeks ago, about 50 supporters broke into the Sporting training complex and assaulted the players and staff who were in training.

Because of that, on Monday a number of players are anting to tear up their contracts. "Bas Dost, William Carvalho, Gelson Martins, and Bruno Fernandes reportedly requested to break their contracts on Monday, joining goalkeeper Rui Patricio and Daniel Podence."

The assault: http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2018-05-15/football/Fans-interrupt-Sporting-Lisbon-practice-assault-players-6736189911

The players: https://sports.yahoo.com/almost-unprecedented-sporting-lisbon-facing-011046855.html

No doubt a number of clubs will be picking at the bones.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:39:58 pm by Old Saint Nick Wants An Xmas 69! »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Sporting Lisbon in Crisis
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:18:41 pm »
I thought their main beef was with the owner being a bellend?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:22:25 pm »

That's what I've read, so the attack doesn't make sense. Assuming it even was Sporting fans.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:23:17 pm »
How does this work in legal terms? Can you just break your contact like that and become a free agent?

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:27:31 pm »
How does this work in legal terms? Can you just break your contact like that and become a free agent?

I doubt there's anything allowing them to end their contract based on this.
YNWA.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 02:43:40 pm »
That's what I've read, so the attack doesn't make sense. Assuming it even was Sporting fans.

There are suggestions that it was the owner that was behind the players getting assaulted by the 'fans'. That's why the players are threatening to tear up their contracts.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 02:46:42 pm »
There are suggestions that it was the owner that was behind the players getting assaulted by the 'fans'. That's why the players are threatening to tear up their contracts.
What the fuck is he playing at if that's the case?

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 02:46:44 pm »

It clearly was...  That is not really up for debate because most of them have been caught. The only part that is still unclear to the public is how involved was Bruno de Carvalho (the president of Sporting). At best, you can argue that he has been fanning the flames on facebook to incite this attack. At worst, it was him who called for the training session where the players were attacked, and afterwards he said to the press basically said "these things happen" and didn't seem at all bothered.

I doubt there's anything allowing them to end their contract based on this.

Employment law. They are arguing that they have "just cause" to terminate the contract unilaterally because they do not have a safe environment to work in. Lawyer types on TV here are saying that they have a pretty good case but it will certainly go to trial and it's far from certain what the outcome will be - if they lose, the players could maybe be forced to pay for their own market value a la Mutu. If they win, Sporting are even more fucked than they are already. It will take ages to go to trial here though
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:48:21 pm by Slick_Beef »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 03:01:23 pm »
But even if the players cannot tear up their contracts, there's little point keeping them without a change of owner. So either there's a firesale of players or of the club.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 03:02:48 pm »
Here's a decent summary written by a Sporting fan on reddit to help explain what is going on -

So Sporting this year had probably the best squad in the league and good chances of finally winning the Primeira Liga after 17 years.

In January we were on the fight for 1st place when we drew a game with Vitória de Setúbal and the president started sending phone messages to the players saying that he had to be assisted at the hospital because of his frustration and that it would hopefully be the last time this would have happened this season, nothing too bad, just kind of a wake up call but being aggressive already, like, can't they fail?

Keep in mind that at this point we were on Portuguese cup, Europa League, fighting for 1st place on league and had won the league cup, so it couldn't be much better.

Then, we won a game 2-0 for the league and he sent a message saying that they were posh, arrogant, cocky and too important to people who were 'below' them just because in the game photo at the beginning they did not make a heart shape with their hands, they simply forgot.

After we lost the UEL QF first leg against Atleti 2-0 with 2 incredible defensive mistakes and some very good goal opportunities failed. He decided to criticise the squad on facebook very hard. The players did not like it and posted on social media a text saying that it is normal do fail sometimes, that they are giving everything to win and that we had still very good chances of success in all competitions.

Bruno de Carvalho suspended all the players because of the post and oppened disciplinary proceedings to the ones who posted that and didn't make the heart shape with the hands! Then had a meeting in were he shouted at the manager, captain and sub-captain because they were the 'leaders' of the 'revolt' the squad was doing. After that we made a amazing game against Atleti at home but only won 1-0 so we were eliminated.

As the season came to an end we were out of the fight for 1st place but still could be 2nd on the league (we had to win or draw 0-0 with Benfica at home and then on the last matchday do the same result as Benfica) and go to UCL next season (wich was not that good but was not as bad as being 3rd and going to UEL, especially because of the money reward) and had the portuguese cup final to play against a much inferior team. We drew 0-0 against Benfica and lost the last game 2-1. The team played really bad, something that had been happening almost every game (because the players were massively tired and fed up with the president's stuff).

2 days after a group of 50 people entered the training facilities of Sporting and attacked the players, some say the president was linked to it some say he wasn't. After an outrage like that the players still decided to play the final that was 5 days after that and lost, I believe not on purpose, because they were crying and fought very hard to win, they just didn't have their heads on the game with all that happened and only made 1 training session since the other game.

So since then [Rui] Patrício terminated contract after Bruno [de Carvalho, the president] fucked his transfer to Napoli (he fucked Adrien to Leicester last season, because of 14 seconds) and he did the same with Gelson. I understand them perfectly, they want to stay but they will only stay if Bruno leaves.

(https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8qark9/william_gelson_and_bruno_fernandes_have/e0hts9x)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:07:46 pm »
Thanks, Slick!

I knew at least one person on RAWK would provide a great deal of insight into this.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:02 pm »
But even if the players cannot tear up their contracts, there's little point keeping them without a change of owner. So either there's a firesale of players or of the club.

The club is owned by shareholders (largely fans).  What should happen next in any normal club is that the board would call an Emergency General Meeting to vote on having new elections for a new president. In this case, the board resigned in protest at what is happening. This should still not be a problem because the rules are that they all remain in their roles until they are replaced, but Bruno de Carvalho (the president) has said that since they have resigned, he doesn't recognise their decision, and he refuses to recognise them. In fact, the club now has two boards... the old board, and a new "transitory" board appointed by the president. It's an amazing clusterfuck.

edit - I meant to say as well, it is reported that they players have tried to leave the "normal" way Bruno de Carvalho has been deliberately nuking the transfers.  It was also reported that when Rui Patricio's transfer fell through and he decided to rescind his contract, Bruno de Carvalho's reaction was to turn off the fax machine to avoid receiving the letter... maybe it's true, maybe it's not, but it's absolutely in keeping with his recent behaviour
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:20:34 pm by Slick_Beef »

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 03:14:48 pm »
Thanks, Slick!

I knew at least one person on RAWK would provide a great deal of insight into this.

:wave No problem. This is the hot topic in Lisbon right now. I'm surprised it isn't getting more attention in the foreign media because I have never in football seen anything like the mess that's going on right now at sporting. It makes Leeds, Portsmouth and Villa look well run.

FM2019 as sporting manager should be an interesting challenge...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 03:17:50 pm »
Will be interesting to see what clubs get involved in taking up the players trying to rip up their contracts. Will be risk involved there, even if various contract clauses will try to mitigate it, when they end up in court.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 03:39:08 pm »
Here's a decent summary written by a Sporting fan on reddit to help explain what is going on -

Is the orange c*nt meeting with this madman next you reckon?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 04:03:23 pm »
Dale Winton’s dead mate
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 04:38:06 pm »

They have a lot in common! There really are a lot of parallels to be honest - he is a populist president who a lot of fans like and have seen as a breath of fresh air because he says outrageous shit and is happy to talk about Benfica and Porto with no filter. Financial results have improved and the performances on the field in all sports also improved after he was elected. His critics would say he is a narcissist whose self-destructive outbursts are destroying the club, as this drama is showing. The fanbase has become divided,  he lays into the players on facebook frequently to deflect from his own fuckups, and the latest events are proof of the damage he is doing, but if there is an election I'm not even sure what the result would be at this point, he might have enough loopy supporters that he could win !?

Should also add for context, sporting have a history of terrible presidents who have used the club to line their own pockets, which can help explain how such a nutter won the election

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 05:59:18 pm »
Appreciate that, Slick Beef. Always nice to get answers from people who know the score :thumbup

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 06:16:13 pm »
Cheers for the info Slick_beef, I'd read a little bit about what was going on but not in as much detail as you've provided. Carvalho sounds like proper headcase, one of those people who should never ever be put in positions of power over others, yet invariably seem to end up there. Really mad situation. Have any of the ultra who stormed the training ground suffered any consequences?

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 06:49:12 pm »
Dale Winton’s dead mate
Not enough love for this  :lmao

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 07:20:17 pm »
Cheers for the info Slick_beef, I'd read a little bit about what was going on but not in as much detail as you've provided. Carvalho sounds like proper headcase, one of those people who should never ever be put in positions of power over others, yet invariably seem to end up there. Really mad situation. Have any of the ultra who stormed the training ground suffered any consequences?

23 arrested and 4 charged last i heard. Most recent charged was the [ex] leader of the Juve Leo ultras group

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 07:43:14 pm »
Good insight from that Reddit post, cheers. President sounds crazy. If a my own fans attacked me I'd fuck the club right off.

Side note - every manager in the Primeira Liga is Portuguese. Pretty cool.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 08:18:38 pm »
Imagine having your club president openly criticising you on facebook after games

Insane and only going to go one way

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46:18 pm »
Bas Dost could be a nice cheep option,would certainly bring something different to our forward line.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 08:50:37 pm »
Bas Dost could be a nice cheep option,would certainly bring something different to our forward line.
I always read his name as Das Boot
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 08:54:20 pm »

Benfica has signed Bruno Fernandes and Gelson Martins.

President Luis Filipe Vieira:

"This season I'm gonna indulge in a mild foolishness that may be ill-advised. 25 years ago they toyed with us."

:lmao

https://observador.pt/2018/06/12/luis-filipe-vieira-admite-fazer-uma-pequena-loucura-e-contratar-jogadores-que-rescindiram-com-o-sporting/

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 09:00:35 pm »

"This season I'm gonna indulge in a mild foolishness that may be ill-advised. 25 years ago they toyed with us."

https://observador.pt/2018/06/12/luis-filipe-vieira-admite-fazer-uma-pequena-loucura-e-contratar-jogadores-que-rescindiram-com-o-sporting/
Jesus, if that's true then the Sporting Ultas are going to fucking hate them. I'd be hiring bodyguards if I was Martins or Fernandes. Truly a mental situation. The Lisbon Derby could be something to behold.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 03:29:25 pm »
Bruno de Carvalho was suspended by the board today but he has refused to accept the decision because he doesn't recognise that board..

This is a little preview of what is going to happen when Trump loses the next election

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 04:22:17 pm »

I posted about this on Reddit but it's not that black and white... he is a dickhead though however the hatred for him comes from many angles and for a multitude of reasons.

1. He is a supporter of the club first and foremost, his promises when he came in and why he got re-elected are because despite his weird attitude he gets stuff done and the club has benefited from it (multitude of trophies and achievements in other sports like Hockey, Futsal, Handball, Beach Football, Athletics and whatnot, don't forget Portuguese, Spanish and many other European clubs are more than just Footie Clubs.

2. He takes no shit from Media or whatever, when Tabloids etc talk shit he immediately hits back via social media or live interviews with said media, this can be good or bad but is generally perceived as him defending the club.

3. Corruption in Portuguese football is still rife, refs getting money or prostitutes in hotel rooms until recently, a main aide of the Benfica President found to have ties to drug dealers and found with Cocaine IN Benfica's official vehicle and I believe in their stadium... nothing happened - BdC (the Sporting president) is currently in process of getting rid of some corrupt individuals tied to Sporting like some Angolan investor guy who has like 18% stake in the club... that guy has connections to the Sporting Doctor... who once that happened resigned and put himself up for candidacy for the next Presidential Election.

4. The attack (very deplorable act) was said to be random etc but apparently was spurred by the fact when Sporting had a bad result to Maritimo which forfeited their CL place, the travelling fans booed (remember Madeira is like a couple hours by plane from mainland at least so it's at fair cost and travel) and once they got booed some players like Rui Patricio and some others made rude gestures to the support and told them to shhhh - NOT SAYING THIS JUSTIFIES ANYTHING but that there may have been a reason they were targeted (Bas Dost has said he was hit only because he was protecting others, he wasn't someone they were after)

etc etc... like I said, the guy IS mental and the attack WAS horrid and the guys need to go to prison BUT there is more to it than meets the eye, the reporting is all just about how crazy the President is but there is much more at play including other clubs smearing him to get rid of him as he's the only one who's publicly called them and the Federation and refs on blatant bullshit.

Bruno de Carvalho was suspended by the board today but he has refused to accept the decision because he doesn't recognise that board..

This is a little preview of what is going to happen when Trump loses the next election

This is what I mean about news are coming out but the info is already skewed... this is not an official board within the club, it's a board set up by a rival of his who will also compete for the Presidency, he is well within his rights to refuse it and take it to proper legal counsel.

Other players are signing new deals in other sports within the club btw and a new football signing was done the other day - like I said above, there is deffo more to this story and the news especially internationally are simply "the guy is crazy and it's all because of him" that's only like half the story if that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:43:04 pm by PhilV »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 04:46:23 pm »

That doesn't say they have signed them it says literally that he has in mind signing them as revenge for what Sporting did in 1993 (which was sign two Benfica players who has resigned due to backlog of wages)

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 05:04:48 pm »
Agree with what you're saying about the reasons people like him mate, and especially with him coming after Godinho Lopes, but honestly... in my opinion, he is entirely responsible for this madness. He created the conditions where this could happen. The facebook rants, suspending the entire first team after the Atleti game, and worst of all his unbelievably blasé reaction to the violence ("O crime faz parte do dia a dia″). Even in places like Italy where there are cases of the ultras confronting the team, I've never seen things get so out of hand. This is the tone he has set.

The really stupid thing is that Sporting could still have had a great season, even once the fell back in the league they should still have ended with a domestic cup double and CL qualification, which would be a good thing to build on. But it's hard to expect the players to be consistent in such a crazy environment. That's all on him, in my opinion anyway...

Doesn't half make you appreciate our current owners, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:06:26 pm by Slick_Beef »

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 05:50:41 am »

Seven Sporting Lisbon players have terminated their own contracts in response to an attack by fans, the Portuguese Players' Union has said.

Four members of Portugal's World Cup squad - Rui Patricio, William Carvalho, Gelson Martins, and Bruno Fernandes - have joined Ruben Ribeiro, Bas Dost and Daniel Podence in leaving.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44489158

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 07:12:21 am »
Do they still have that Lidl in their stadium?

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 12:57:02 pm »
Since there's no post in the thread of the announcement, let me do it.

Sporting Club de Portugal has hired fired coach Sinisa Mihajlovic. We wish him all the best as coach of Sporting.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 03:46:26 pm »
Do they still have that Lidl in their stadium?

Yes they do;  and the Burger King and cinema etc...

We went to a match when we were in Lisbon at Easter and it certainly is a strange ground.  Strangest thing I found was that they have all this retail space in the ground itself but the club shop is set off away from the ground.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!