Author Topic: May 2018 Local Elections (*)  (Read 23754 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
May 2018 Local Elections (*)
« on: May 3, 2018, 10:46:56 pm »
There will no doubt be something to discuss.

Don’t troll other posters. Don’t make me regret starting this.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: May 2018 Local Elections (*)
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2018, 10:57:47 pm »
... Don’t make me regret starting this.

Oh, you silly billy.... ;)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2018, 11:38:23 pm »
https://twitter.com/britainelects

Good place to follow the results as they come in.

Early signs are not good for Labour.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2018, 11:40:46 pm »
Primarily Leave area results so far though, I would be amazed if Labour didn't do very well in London and other Remain areas

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2018, 11:42:42 pm »
Primarily Leave area results so far though, I would be amazed if Labour didn't do very well in London and other Remain areas

Yeah, they'll do well in London and other remain cities you would think. Can't win general elections with just those areas though.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2018, 11:44:22 pm »
I live in Liverpool (As you know) and a lot of people I know that have voted Labour all their lives are disgusted with Corbyns disrespect of their Remain vote.

I'd say maybe 20 odd people (All Labour) are voting for someone else this year - I know it's a local election - but the fallout from Labours Brexit actions may be interesting to see.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 3, 2018, 11:45:16 pm »
Yeah, they'll do well in London and other remain cities you would think. Can't win general elections with just those areas though.

They are gaining from UKIP in some areas. Its started off ok.

Maybe they should be even more Pro Leave to pick up these other Leave areas?

The prize today is London and obtaining full control and Tory wipeout.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2018, 11:48:25 pm »
They are gaining from UKIP in some areas. Its started off ok.

Maybe they should be even more Pro Leave to pick up these other Leave areas?

The prize today is London and obtaining full control and Tory wipeout.

If they go even more pro leave then I hope they are wiped out.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2018, 11:54:06 pm »
If they go even more pro leave then I hope they are wiped out.

Its a tough balancing act. The public are split and its still a big issue. So do you pander to the Leavers or Remainers? Personally I think electorally the balancd they are taking is right. Whether i would want that stance is another thing.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 3, 2018, 11:55:29 pm »
Pallion (Sunderland) result:

LDem: 60.1% (+57.0)
Lab: 29.4% (-18.4)
Con: 7.3% (-7.0)
Grn: 3.1% (-1.7)

LDem GAIN.

That is a swing and a half. I suspect that the results will be channelling the spirit of the Champions League Semi-finals.

Labour are on a hiding to nothing in London. They did really well in London 4 years ago and there is not much left for them to gain. Of course that means that they are running on their record locally, so there is every chance that local screw ups will affect some of the boroughs.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2018, 12:09:59 am »
Pallion (Sunderland) result:

LDem: 60.1% (+57.0)
Lab: 29.4% (-18.4)
Con: 7.3% (-7.0)
Grn: 3.1% (-1.7)

LDem GAIN.

That is a swing and a half. I suspect that the results will be channelling the spirit of the Champions League Semi-finals.

Labour are on a hiding to nothing in London. They did really well in London 4 years ago and there is not much left for them to gain. Of course that means that they are running on their record locally, so there is every chance that local screw ups will affect some of the boroughs.

Since 2014 though we have had the Brexit referendum which has hardened the anti-Tory feeling down here even more so I think Labour would expect to do well even compared to 2014, plus London in general has been becoming more Labour friendly territory for a while.

My borough is strongly Labour but the few wards around me are Tory and Labour would no doubt like to do well here to put IDS on notice, certainly think they have a chance in my ward.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 12:11:35 am by filopastry »

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2018, 12:13:17 am »
Just a question of which of the two Brexit parties pick up most of the UKIP vote.

Utterly depressing.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2018, 12:13:46 am »
Since 2014 though we have had the Brexit referendum which has hardened the anti-Tory feeling down here even more so I think Labour would expect to do well even compared to 2014, plus London in general has been becoming more Labour friendly territory for a while.

My borough is strongly Labour but the few wards around me are Tory and Labour would no doubt like to do well here to put IDS on notice, certainly think they have a chance in my ward.

Don't get that? McDonnel confirmed just then on BBC 1 that Labour are a leave party.

If you vote Tory or Labour then you're voting for Brexit all over again.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2018, 12:14:02 am »
Just a question of which of the two Brexit parties pick up most of the UKIP vote.

Utterly depressing.

Totally agree.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2018, 12:15:19 am »
We kept hearing how the local elections would show the power of Corbyns Labour so if it goes as bad as it is looking will he do the right thing and resigns or will we have to hear how the next election is the one ?

The usual excuses and conspiracy theories are already doing the rounds,the best one being that Twitter have stopped #votelabour from trending   :butt   
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 12:17:24 am by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2018, 12:16:38 am »

Utterly depressing.

Yep. Politics in this country is in a bad, bad way.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2018, 12:17:22 am »
I live in Liverpool (As you know) and a lot of people I know that have voted Labour all their lives are disgusted with Corbyns disrespect of their Remain vote.

I'd say maybe 20 odd people (All Labour) are voting for someone else this year - I know it's a local election - but the fallout from Labours Brexit actions may be interesting to see.
I was speaking to my new Labour council candidate today about this. the candidate has campaigned for my Labour MP for years, he's no fan of Corbyn, I told her my vote is a vote for her not the Labour leadership.
I understand how people feel about not wanting their vote for Labour in the council elections being used as a thumbs up for the Labour party leadership but it's a bit unfair on Councilor.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 4, 2018, 12:18:57 am »
Nuneaton & Bedworth, results of seats up: Con: 11 (+9) Lab: 6 (-8) Grn: 0 (-1) Chgs. w/ 2014

Labour have lost control of Nuneaton council.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: May 4, 2018, 12:19:23 am »
I was speaking to my new Labour council candidate today about this. the candidate has campaigned for my Labour MP for years, he's no fan of Corbyn, I told her my vote is a vote for her not the Labour leadership.
I understand how people feel about not wanting their vote for Labour in the council elections being used as a thumbs up for the Labour party leadership but it's a bit unfair on Councilor.

It is. I agree. But it's something that people feel strongly about.

Personally I though that a vote for Labour would have been an endorsement of Corbyns Anti-EU shite. Not right, but it's complicated like these things all are.

I feel sorry for the counciller in question, but what other voice have we got?

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 4, 2018, 12:20:01 am »
Don't get that? McDonnel confirmed just then on BBC 1 that Labour are a leave party.

If you vote Tory or Labour then you're voting for Brexit all over again.

I wouldn't argue with you myself, but down in London I would say generally Labour have managed to portray the Tories as being the Brexit enthusiasts, quite a few Labour MPs down here are vocally Europhile as well.

Most people just aren't that engaged in politics to know better, sadly.

Tories of course do have quite a few vocal Brexiteers in the area as well

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2018, 12:28:43 am »
It is. I agree. But it's something that people feel strongly about.

Personally I though that a vote for Labour would have been an endorsement of Corbyns Anti-EU shite. Not right, but it's complicated like these things all are.

I feel sorry for the councillor in question, but what other voice have we got?
True,we only have 1 vote to let our politicians know how we feel. I can understand why people refused to vote for Labour if they know their vote is going to be used as a endorsement for the Labour parties direction today.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2018, 12:29:07 am »
"Lib Dem sources say the party expects to make a handful of gains in Liverpool." Per the Guardian

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2018, 12:32:53 am »
Nuneaton is odd.

It is not even mentioned as a battleground council in the Beeb preview.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43981433

The take home thus far is probably that there is no national trend, and how the UKIP votes falls is having a dominant, and wholly inconsistent effect.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2018, 12:57:48 am »
Tories hold Swindon. If only there was someone in Swindon who could have helped Labour with their social media.

It is being reported that the Tories have lost Richmond to Lib Dems / Greens.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 4, 2018, 12:58:48 am »
There is not a seismic change. I’ll read the results in the morning.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 4, 2018, 01:45:59 am »
Looking like a great night for the Tories. Cannot be fucking arsed with this ridiculous country.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 4, 2018, 01:57:04 am »
I wonder what the turnout is, maybe UKIP votes gone to the Tories and Labour voters either voted Lib Dems.Green or abstained. people going from anger to apathy.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 4, 2018, 06:20:02 am »
The good news is that UKIP have disappeared as a political party, the bad news is that the tories have swallowed them up.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 4, 2018, 07:21:47 am »
Looking like a great night for the Tories. Cannot be fucking arsed with this ridiculous country.

They are up 8 seats. More meh than great.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 4, 2018, 07:34:39 am »
The good news is that UKIP have disappeared as a political party, the bad news is that the tories have swallowed them up.

Yep. I would like to see the strategy in winning UKIP voters back.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 4, 2018, 07:40:04 am »
Saw on twitter the only council labour gained was one where Owen Jones and his momentum lot didn’t run an ‘unseat’ campaign :lmao
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 07:44:48 am by Laughter is the best medicine... »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 4, 2018, 07:45:11 am »
Thought Labour would have a good run at Kensington & Chelsea because of the Grenfell tragedy, but they only gained 1 councillor.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 4, 2018, 07:49:11 am »
Thought Labour would have a good run at Kensington & Chelsea because of the Grenfell tragedy, but they only gained 1 councillor.

Turnout stats will be interesting. This shouldnt really be used as a general election projection.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 4, 2018, 07:50:58 am »
seeing as they elected a labour MP who’s a bit racist and they have the whole antisemitism problem it’s not a massive shock

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 4, 2018, 07:52:45 am »
Labour lose derby, probably because rather massively popular Chris Williamson wasn’t running as a councillor this time

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 4, 2018, 08:00:30 am »
Yep. I would like to see the strategy in winning UKIP voters back.
Windrush seems to have worked well for the Tories.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #36 on: May 4, 2018, 08:03:30 am »
Any opposition aspiring to govern should be making huge gains in elections like these. Terrible night for Labour. And the loss of Barnet directly a result of the party's antisemitism.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 4, 2018, 08:19:52 am »
Any opposition aspiring to govern should be making huge gains in elections like these. Terrible night for Labour. And the loss of Barnet directly a result of the party's antisemitism.

The previous time these seats were contested was in 2014, at the peak of disillusionment with the coalition when Labour were ahead in the polls. Retaining those gains is not a disaster. It is not an inspirational platform to build from either. It is a mixed bag. The results from the wards with large Jewish populations will be a concern - and it will ensure the continuing prominence of the anti-Semitism story.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 4, 2018, 09:04:08 am »
Locally I thought Labour would do a bit better (living in one of the wards that makes up IDS's seat), picked up a couple of councillors from the Tories in Hale End and Highams Park, but the Tories held on elsewhere.

Labour seemed to throw some resources at my ward and I didn't see anything from the Tories but they still held on comfortably enough in the end, I wouldn't be writing IDS's political obituary just yet.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 4, 2018, 09:05:30 am »
Saw on twitter the only council labour gained was one where Owen Jones and his momentum lot didn’t run an ‘unseat’ campaign :lmao
Any reason why you didn't just quote the Guido Fawkes tweet?