Author Topic: The Kings of Comedy draft (Film, TV, & Stand-Up) - Discussion Thread & Sign Up  (Read 32683 times)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Atkinson's a great pick. Just noticed that Sellers was gone, for some reason I hadn't noticed and assumed he'd flown under the radar. Dammit, Trend.

So, true.  I thought he would have been a top 10 pick --- he fell to me and I went all Pink Panther hiding around our house looking for my two year old to jump out and pick a small tussle.  You know the good stuff.  Thank you Peter Sellers!   :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FbUD7FRStbY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FbUD7FRStbY</a>
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good old Ronnie B

Wondered when he'd be picked

nice :)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I nearly went for Rowan Atkinson. Wasn’t completely sure on the criteria. Best role by far is Blackadder which I think was written by others (not that that really matters). Good picks all round so far, and quite varied.

His stand up is quite underrated and Bean is mostly his. So I think he's fits fine. Obviously Blackadder was written by Ben Elton on the most part, but his performance and timing is half the humour IMO.

Love this collab with John Cleese:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OGFz9gt0-Fc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OGFz9gt0-Fc</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Love Bill Bailey by the way. Get the feeling he divides opinion, but I think he's hilarious. Huge fan of Black Books and every panel show he popped up on. He was always my dream alternative casting for Doctor Who too  :D

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Love Bill Bailey by the way. Get the feeling he divides opinion, but I think he's hilarious. Huge fan of Black Books and every panel show he popped up on. He was always my dream alternative casting for Doctor Who too  :D
Yeah, I think he's great too, but he may well be a vote-loser. I also love Black Books, and I really like his standup. Tended to be my favourite bit on Buzzcocks too, except for when Lamarr or Amstell were properly ripping into someone. I was torn between Bailey and another comedian who might lose me even more votes, who I may well pick next anyway...

Really like the idea of him as the Doctor, actually. Never thought of that, but it could be brilliant.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan

He actually divides opinion within myself, Black Books is superb,his stand up can be very annoying.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was torn between Bailey and another comedian who might lose me even more votes, who I may well pick next anyway...

Yeah i think my next pick might be a vote loser too but I've always enjoyed watching him and his work so fuck it. :)

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
I was torn between Bailey and another comedian who might lose me even more votes, who I may well pick next anyway...

I dunno Russell Howard seems to be well loved by the general public!
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Yeah i think my next pick might be a vote loser too but I've always enjoyed watching him and his work so fuck it. :)

That’s the attitude I think. I’ve long since known I won’t do great in this but have just gone for people who make me laugh as guess that’s an important pre-requisite!

Betty - I remember having some old Rowan Atkinson stand up (more of a one moan show really) on VHS back in the day, I’m sure it was pretty good!

Can’t really recall ever knowing what he sounds like in real life though!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Garlic Bread?

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I dunno Russell Howard seems to be well loved by the general public!
You got me. Bernard Manning it is, then.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Really like the idea of him as the Doctor, actually. Never thought of that, but it could be brilliant.

I can just picture him with a long scarf talking about timey wimey things  :D  Wish they'd do it for a comic relief special like they did with Rowan Atkinson way back. I'd pay donate good money to see that.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Garlic Bread?

haha i don't think so .

He was quite funny to begin with and got steadily worse as he got fatter and more camp.

That Geraldine creation was the final straw.  Utter Utter shite. Id take 70's Bernard Manning over Peter Kaye these days.

I've also go a US comedian in mind but he would get branded a Bill Hicks rip-off, which could apply to many a comedian but doesn't make them any less funny.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Apologies for the delay....life came calling!

Hoping mine haven't already been picked ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Billy Connally - great pick Titi!  I knew you had it in you. 

Still a whole host of funny out there to pick from --- good luck all --- probably will have to check in tomorrow unless it gets faster.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Still a whole host of funny out there to pick from.

Spoiler
[close]
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
So, true.  I thought he would have been a top 10 pick --- he fell to me and I went all Pink Panther hiding around our house looking for my two year old to jump out and pick a small tussle.  You know the good stuff.  Thank you Peter Sellers!   :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FbUD7FRStbY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FbUD7FRStbY</a>

I remember literally, and I mean LITERALLY , crying with laughter at those films as a kid, the kind of laughter where you feel knackered afterwards .
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Spoiler
[close]

The funniest TV sketch I have ever seen

Genius :)

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Is it me again?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Lastrador pilfered Steven Wright... Drat.

Nice pull my friend --- he's a classic and dry as the fookin Catalina Wine Mixer

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
Lastrador pilfered Steven Wright... Drat.

Nice pull my friend --- he's a classic and dry as the fookin Catalina Wine Mixer

"There is just something about your face that makes me want to punch it."
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well, that's me not getting any votes.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

I still like his comedy, he is very disturbing but still funny. Look I picked Pryor, and he was a messed up or more than CK.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I still like his comedy, he is very disturbing but still funny. Look I picked Pryor, and he was a messed up or more than CK.
Aye I guess, but Pryor lived in less enlightened times. Sort of had to pick CK as some of his stand up has made me laugh harder than almost any other current comedian's, but he's evidently a pretty messed up individual. Be interesting to see where his career goes from here actually. I think some form of redemption is possible, but it'll be a long old road.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Well, that's not completely true.  I got your back mate.   

Just make sure you shave it :)))))))))
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"There is just something about your face that makes me want to punch it."

Wanna touch my six pack?    Psyche no chance in hell, get away.... :)

Some seriously underrated lines from this movie ---  laugh like I am nine, high on sugar coated trampolines
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Louis CK will be back in a year or two and it'll almost be like none of it ever happened. I was considering someone very famous from a generation or two before but balked for the same reason. Then again, I'm not sure they ever did anything as funny as this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hRPfY4mE4ME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hRPfY4mE4ME</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GkDJAOm2HLE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GkDJAOm2HLE</a>

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hard not to love Stephen Fry. It's become a bit of a cliche by this point, but he's the very definition of a national treasure. Lovely man. Was considering him but felt I needed a non-Britisher for balance. Good pick, Gregorio.

Louis CK will be back in a year or two and it'll almost be like none of it ever happened.
You may very well be right. Sort of hope not though. I mean, I hope he comes back and gets his career back on track eventually (not least for the selfish reason that he does a lot of stuff that amuses me), but there also needs to be recognition that what he did was pretty fucked up, and for it not just to get swept under the carpet and forgotten about.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fry has expanded his repertoire somewhat over the years but lets not take it away from him he was and is funny.

Fry and Laurie show was brilliant

Personally speaking the funniest thing I ever saw him do was play the Duke of Wellington in Blackadder III. :)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I was correct with the pair he was going for. I nearly had them on my list.

Excellent picks.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Sorry I've not been about today. Seems the order got messed up and PMs weren't sent out.

Djozer - remember to PM Sudden Death and not Tubby.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Next Three picks

Sudden Death
Vivabobbygraham
Moi
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Ah!

Didn't realise it was my go.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Really struggled with the female choice. Sadly i fall into the cliche, I've haven't yet found a female standup that I find funny.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ah!

Didn't realise it was my go.

No worries...  Viva does not look like he is here --- so we'll wait. 

Anyone want to take my two picks (Chakan possibly) so I do not hold up the draft?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
No worries...  Viva does not look like he is here --- so we'll wait. 

Anyone want to take my two picks (Chakan possibly) so I do not hold up the draft?

Send them on mate :wave

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Really struggled with the female choice. Sadly i fall into the cliche, I've haven't yet found a female standup that I find funny.

Interesting choice of picture.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Interesting choice of picture.

Um

Hard to find a less suggestive Polly image

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry I've not been about today. Seems the order got messed up and PMs weren't sent out.

Djozer - remember to PM Sudden Death and not Tubby.
Ah shite. Didn't notice that, apologies all for inadvertently holding up the already glacial pace.