Author Topic: 2017-18 Champions League / European Cup Semi Finals  (Read 74443 times)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: 2017-18 Champions League / European Cup Semi Finals
« Reply #640 on: April 25, 2018, 10:55:22 pm »
We're the best side left in this thing.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #641 on: April 25, 2018, 10:58:02 pm »
And your guys don't? Nobody has the moral high ground with this. Maybe the Scottish.

La Liga is the worst in Europe by so far it's not funny. It's actually more like Argentina or Brazil for it

Everyone in Europe has the moral high ground over Spain
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #642 on: April 25, 2018, 11:02:58 pm »
They've been beaten by some absolute shite at home in the league. They're eminently beatable.

You've already got their captain and manager coming out saying we were long ball

Because they know they'll have to play same way again and the ball over the top is going to be on, trying to shame us to not do it haha. Don't think so

There's hoof ball and there's dropping balls over a high line lads. See you Wednesday.. lose by 3? I fancy the win!
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #643 on: April 25, 2018, 11:05:53 pm »
IF - and it's a big if - we manage to get to the final and win the CL, we'll be the most deserving winners of this season, in my opinion. The group stage was a bit wild, but we were the better team in every game we played, and in the knockout games we've been brilliant, whilst Bayern have been pretty poor in some games including tonight, Madrid were trounced at home by Juventus and Roma lost away 4-1 (although put in a decent performance).
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #644 on: April 25, 2018, 11:06:18 pm »

There's hoof ball and there's dropping balls over a high line lads. 

Or the even more ridiculously deadly vertical ball into Salah's diagonal run wide...

Every time he picks that up, I think "goal..."  :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #645 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:49 pm »
IF - and it's a big if - we manage to get to the final and win the CL, we'll be the most deserving winners of this season, in my opinion. The group stage was a bit wild, but we were the better team in every game we played, and in the knockout games we've been brilliant, whilst Bayern have been pretty poor in some games including tonight, Madrid were trounced at home by Juventus and Roma lost away 4-1 (although put in a decent performance).
Don't forget Madrid lost to Spurs too. Currently we are the only unbeaten team left in the competition
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: April 26, 2018, 12:24:25 am »
Biggest take away for me in today's games is that they're both aging and no where near the level they were even a year or two ago.

Madrid - their midfield is so passive and they're almost inviting teams to just waltz through them hoping Ramos and Varane eventually snuff out the move.  From there they're just hoping Ronaldo does something in the box.
Bayern - since I've barely watched them this year I had no idea their transitions were basically gone.  They wouldn't do anything until they had the ball back in control in possession sans that one Kimmich counter.

Now maybe the 2nd leg games will change my mind but I'd have to favor us when you compare what we do well vs. what those teams do well at the moment.  Guess we'll see.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: April 26, 2018, 12:30:40 am »
Bayern are lucky they're in the semi-finals considering they had Beşiktaş and Sevilla in previous rounds.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #648 on: April 26, 2018, 12:52:02 am »
They have a whole 90 min to score 3 goals. Do you not think they can repeat the feat against Barca? They nicked 2 against us in the last ten, as did West Brom and others have. They are a completely different team at home, barely conceding.

::)

I'm saying it's really not done yet. Lots of work to do. But Bayern imo have been the weakest team in the last four and I think Real will murder them in the return leg. I was actually shocked at how bad Bayern were.

oh.  makes sense.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: April 26, 2018, 01:42:49 am »
Bayern looked so poor.
Both defences looked beatable by our strke force
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2018, 01:46:40 am »
I think we're winning this thing. When we turn the oven on like we did last night, we literally strangle and smother teams into submission. There is no outball - there is no time to think; you just have a swarm of red Duracell bunnies charging into you and running behind you relentlessly (see De Rossi's comments).. I don't think Bayern or Madrid (or anyone in Europe right now) have the legs to cope with that sustained period of pressure.

Let's just hope we can keep the remainder of the squad fit.

The only one concern I have about playing against Real Madrid is that their defence and midfield are so good technically. I'm wondering whether they will beat our press.

City are probably the best possession side in world football, and we beat them 5-1.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:52:27 am by bornandbRED »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #652 on: April 26, 2018, 02:29:56 am »
The only one concern I have about playing against Real Madrid is that their defence and midfield are so good technically. I'm wondering whether they will beat our press.

Casemiro got a yellow, its possible he gets booked again and misses the final. Kroos and Modric would have no protection.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2018, 02:34:28 am »
Casemiro got a yellow, its possible he gets booked again and misses the final. Kroos and Modric would have no protection.
You do not miss the final with 2nd yellow in Semis. Only a red will get you away from the final.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #654 on: April 26, 2018, 02:36:39 am »
You do not miss the final with 2nd yellow in Semis. Only a red will get you away from the final.

Well lets hope he gets a red then

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: April 26, 2018, 02:45:44 am »

You think that RM outplayed Bayern today?  I mean the game was really shit regardless but to say that Bayern didn't create enough chances to score at least 2 goals if not 3-4 is crazy talk and the xG reflected that.  RM really had nothing and are lucky as shit.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #656 on: April 26, 2018, 03:04:20 am »
You think that RM outplayed Bayern today?  I mean the game was really shit regardless but to say that Bayern didn't create enough chances to score at least 2 goals if not 3-4 is crazy talk and the xG reflected that.  RM really had nothing and are lucky as shit.

yep.

Neither team shone in this one, Madrid where clinical, but Bayern where the opposite, as poor as they where, they should have been a couple goals up before Real equalized.  The had by far the better chances, but couldn't get it done, their shooting was utterly wayward throughout, the worst culprits being Ribery and Lewandowski who missed easy chances. 

They should get chances vs Real next week too, but they need to be a helluva lot more clinical, stating the obvious I know. Real Madrid have it to lose though, so it would be quite the turnaround, but not impossible, if Lewadowski gets over being a sulky shit, anything can happen.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #657 on: April 26, 2018, 03:13:11 am »
I saw the second half only, and I've been thinking that we've got those, either team, if we have our players fit. Crap play all around, little creativity, poor organization...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #658 on: April 26, 2018, 03:19:35 am »
Watching that Bayern/Madrid game i'm confident we're the best team left.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: April 26, 2018, 05:35:50 am »
I saw the second half only, and I've been thinking that we've got those, either team, if we have our players fit. Crap play all around, little creativity, poor organization...

I'm sorry but crap players, mate? Not having that. We are the most in-form team left in this tournament granted and are riding a high, but Real and Bayern have quality all round. We have enough to beat them in a final, let alone a two-legged semifinal, but that is in spite of the fact that they are both fantastic sides with world class talent.

EDIT: Sorry, disregard comment. I read "crap play" as "crap players". Have slept only 5 hours in two days waking up at ungodly hours to watch the semifinals ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:04:18 am by Gerrvindh »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #660 on: April 26, 2018, 07:01:19 am »
^^^ ;D

Get some sleep mate, ;) Where are you? I’m in CA and they are noonish here.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: April 26, 2018, 07:04:33 am »
Bayern missed Neuer a LOT, more than I would have expected. Ulreich just isn't up to the standard, his reaction on both goals was soft, and even worse on Ronaldo's disallowed goal.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #662 on: April 26, 2018, 07:07:33 am »
You've already got their captain and manager coming out saying we were long ball
Well we were linked with Fellaini last week.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: April 26, 2018, 07:37:26 am »
^^^ ;D

Get some sleep mate, ;) Where are you? I’m in CA and they are noonish here.

Lived in Chicago 3 years, moved to India and now in Singapore on work, haven't achieved anything over the past 3 days. Resettling in Australia in a few months, so that's me unlocking all the levels on the "rotten luck with timings watching Liverpool games across the globe" game. This club has given me sleepless nights through my adult life quite literally, and there's no end in sight ;D

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #664 on: April 26, 2018, 08:54:36 am »
Football fans are funny though, especially in Facebook newsfeed (or maybe here).
Writing Bayern off from the possible final based on 1-2 result, with the team
consisting of Mats Hummel, Jerome Boateng, Thomas Muller and Robert Lewandowski...
Bayern out.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #665 on: April 26, 2018, 08:55:09 am »
We're the best side left in this thing.

We absolutely are, and as best I can that is without my red tinted spectacles. I have not seen anything that we cannot beat in a one off game.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: April 26, 2018, 09:17:44 am »
While the best team doesn't always win a one off match, we are comfortably the best team left in this competition. Neither Real Madrid or Bayern will have faced a team this season that plays at the pace and intensity that we play at. Madrid playing Spurs, who they lost to, is the closest thing and they don't have our pace or play with our energy and intensity. Our biggest issue should we get to the final would be to not allow the occasion to get the better of our players because for sure Madrid won't. In saying that, we still have business to  finish off in Rome.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #667 on: April 26, 2018, 09:24:49 am »
They have a whole 90 min to score 3 goals. Do you not think they can repeat the feat against Barca? They nicked 2 against us in the last ten, as did West Brom and others have. They are a completely different team at home, barely conceding.

I'm saying it's really not done yet. Lots of work to do. But Bayern imo have been the weakest team in the last four and I think Real will murder them in the return leg. I was actually shocked at how bad Bayern were.
Getting tired of hearing this to be honest. People think that Roma's comeback against Barca means they are somehow certain to repeat the feat? Their comeback makes it LESS likely they'll do it again, not MORE likely. Tell me the last time a side managed two x 3-goal comebacks in successive European Cup knockout matches? I'm sure it has happened once or twice in the distant past but it  is very rare. You know why? Good teams don't get themselves into a mess twice in a row. Roma played similarly at Anfield compared to their second leg at Barca; how did that work out for them?

They have a 40% chance of just winning the fucking match and you have it as 50/50 they win by three!  :lmao :lmao :lmao
You don't happen to work for Paddy Power do you?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: April 26, 2018, 10:46:43 am »
Is this definately correct ? I was a bit worried for Alexander Arnold.

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #669 on: April 26, 2018, 11:11:18 am »
Is this definately correct ? I was a bit worried for Alexander Arnold.

Yes mate the rules changed a few years back. This is from the Echo a few weeks ago...

Competition rules mean three bookings result in an automatic one-match suspension, the reason Jordan Henderson sat out the second leg having received his third caution in the first leg.

UEFA rules, though, see the yellow card count wiped clean for the semi-finals.

And it means that, should Liverpool reach the final, only a red card or an exceptional disciplinary case could see any of their players miss the showpiece through suspension.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: April 26, 2018, 11:13:19 am »
I don't like this overconfidence lads, obviously be confident and we should get through, but we ain't there yet.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #671 on: April 26, 2018, 11:16:56 am »
I don't like this overconfidence lads, obviously be confident and we should get through, but we ain't there yet.

This. Bayern had a bad night but at the same time, they could have been 2-1/3-1 up with the chances before Marcelo's goal even.

Robben going off was a blow for them but they're very capable of scoring in Madrid. Heynckes is a very shrewd coach.

Saying that Real are the big favourites now, and Ronaldo not scoring in 2 consecutive CL games doesn't seem likely.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: April 26, 2018, 11:44:56 am »

They have conceded 18 goals and been beaten 6 times at home in Serie A, every team bar Napoli who beat them is below them. Benevento, who are dead last in Serie A have scored 10 goals away all season and 2 of those came at Roma.  Barca were poor in the last game and Chelsea were victims to shite defending and poor finishing when they lost there.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: April 26, 2018, 11:56:38 am »
Who has the tougher task, Roma or Bayern? Id go for Roma.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: April 26, 2018, 11:58:27 am »

It's fine for the fans to be overconfident, Klopp and the team won't be.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: April 26, 2018, 12:14:46 pm »
Both Bayern and real madrid have a weakness we can exploit, However the over confidence is ridiculous.

Real madrid are the ultimate Big game raisers when it comes to the champions league, Ronaldo as shit as he can be performance wise, is it immense at getting important goals and they still have quality all over the pitch. We are completely the underdogs if we are in the final - which is how I like it!
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #676 on: April 26, 2018, 02:03:04 pm »
Madrid are a worry because they know this competition inside and out. If we get to the final and meet them it will be a huge mismatch in terms of experience. Three times champions in four years is just ridiculous. By contrast nobody in our side has ever played in a Champions League final, for most even the quarters were uncharted waters. That makes a difference. I still maintain that our team got stagestruck in the Europa League final and that's nothing compared to what this could be.

We could beat them of course, I think we could beat any side left in it. Madrid would be the hardest opponent though, simply because they have this air of invincibility about them in Europe. It's a bit like some of Ferguson's United sides, often they won the title even though other sides seemed to be playing better than them.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #677 on: April 26, 2018, 02:06:40 pm »

I think that the players will look at the non-injured CMs we have to choose from and start counting fingers. When they don't hit 4, they'll be pretty pragmatic about how fragile our engine-room is for the return leg and really want to make sure of the result. We'll either come out blazing or give them 20 minutes before we adapt, then blow them away for an hour. We'll see on 80mins how many they have to score to get through.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #678 on: April 26, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »
Both Bayern and real madrid have a weakness we can exploit, However the over confidence is ridiculous.

Real madrid are the ultimate Big game raisers when it comes to the champions league, Ronaldo as shit as he can be performance wise, is it immense at getting important goals and they still have quality all over the pitch. We are completely the underdogs if we are in the final - which is how I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIkjnISwlnA

Jurgen is very close to getting his wish. The change in the mentality of our supporters from when he joined to now is incredible.

Doubters to Believers. We shall not be moved!
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: April 28, 2018, 12:05:02 pm »

As far as I know a new cycle starts from semifinals onwards. The new rule was approved in 2014/05 I think. He would only miss the final if he sees two yellow cards in the second leg or a straight red. With just a yellow he would play the final if his team eliminates Bayern.