Author Topic: Supporters to visit rail seating at Celtic  (Read 18165 times)

Offline Jay_Mc

• Kopite
Supporters to visit rail seating at Celtic
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:34:24 am »
http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/supporters-to-visit-rail-seating-at-celtic

Following our overwhelming vote in favour of rail seating being introduced into football grounds, Spirit of Shankly committed to digesting the result and looking at what the next steps might be. Given the size of the vote, and the debate taking place nationally, it was right that we committed to find out more. This Saturday, as part of that process, we will visit Celtic Park.

Thanks to the generosity of Celtic, SOS will attend the match versus Ross County. We will be accompanied by fellow supporters, Hillsborough families and survivors. This trip will be an opportunity for us to see the rail seating section first-hand and to ask questions of those responsible for its safety. As well as hearing about the Celtic experience, some of those attending will also be watching the match from the rail seating section.

We fully appreciate the sensitivities around this visit. This will be a difficult experience for some, and one that should not be under-estimated. We invited both Hillsborough groups to attend and we are grateful to those who are able to.

We understand that rail seating may not be for everyone. We want to make clear that any such visit is not an endorsement, nor a pre-cursor to calling for it at Anfield. We expect that following the visit, our discussions and viewpoints will be informed further. We anticipate that after this visit, we will update supporters and have further discussions about what, if any, further steps we take.

If anyone has any questions they would like putting to Celtic, their staff or supporters, or if you have any questions about the visit itself, please email chair@spiritofshankly.com
What would you rather - Tell your kids you sat and moaned on an internet forum or that you done something about it

Join Your Union

www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Re: Supporters to visit rail seating at Celtic
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:47:21 am »
Glad to see progress on this and for the update as well.

I think a serious analysis of, and debate around, rail-seating as an option at Anfield, is really all that many, including myself, are asking for at this stage.

I'll be interested to hear the findings afterwards.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:58:43 am »
Great and positive step forward. Hopefully the visit goes well as I think this could be a (part) saviour of the atmosphere and lifeblood of the Anfield support.

Completely understand there are differing views on this, just my two pennies worth.
JFT97

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 12:01:46 pm »
Thanks for the update there Jay. Hope the visit goes well. Good to see too that families and survivors will attend. There's a point of view that standing in and of itself was not a cause of the Hillsborough Disaster. There's some excellent further reading about this issue in the book "And The Sun Shines Now" by journalist and survivor Adrian Tempany.

Offline Jay_Mc

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:19:19 pm »
Thanks for the update there Jay. Hope the visit goes well. Good to see too that families and survivors will attend. There's a point of view that standing in and of itself was not a cause of the Hillsborough Disaster. There's some excellent further reading about this issue in the book "And The Sun Shines Now" by journalist and survivor Adrian Tempany.

I am personally of the same view. I've got Adrian's book to but not read it fully yet.
What would you rather - Tell your kids you sat and moaned on an internet forum or that you done something about it

Join Your Union

www.spiritofshankly.com

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:44:47 pm »
Glad to see this and recognise how difficult it will be for some.

I've always maintained that Hillsborough was a failure of Police control and perimeter fencing, not one of standing at football grounds.

Good luck.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 01:16:09 pm »
Thanks for the update Jay and thanks for your excellent post. It shows sensitivity but at the same time reiterates how important it is to work out the feasibility for us.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 01:44:47 pm »
I don't know anything about these types of seats but I assume that you either get a seat number of else can only have the same number of people per row as there are seats.

Are the seats the same pitch (same number of seats in a given area both across the terrace and up and down).

I can't see any disadvantages other than the obvious (a person who needs to sit for most of the game should sit in a normal seated area).

As far as safety is concerned, then the barriers (backs of seats) need to be able to withstand at least two people just in case one barrier gives way (you wouldn't want a cascade of people just because one seat rail gives way). I think the rails will be more than strong enough.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:47:57 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 01:45:16 pm »
Great update as well as a really well thought out approach, not only visting a live UK example, but also including families and survivors. Hope it goes well.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 02:01:04 pm »
Good to hear, I hope the trip goes well for everyone and look forward to hearing the feedback.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 02:04:25 pm »
http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/supporters-to-visit-rail-seating-at-celtic

Following our overwhelming vote in favour of rail seating being introduced into football grounds, Spirit of Shankly committed to digesting the result and looking at what the next steps might be. Given the size of the vote, and the debate taking place nationally, it was right that we committed to find out more. This Saturday, as part of that process, we will visit Celtic Park.

Thanks to the generosity of Celtic, SOS will attend the match versus Ross County. We will be accompanied by fellow supporters, Hillsborough families and survivors. This trip will be an opportunity for us to see the rail seating section first-hand and to ask questions of those responsible for its safety. As well as hearing about the Celtic experience, some of those attending will also be watching the match from the rail seating section.

We fully appreciate the sensitivities around this visit. This will be a difficult experience for some, and one that should not be under-estimated. We invited both Hillsborough groups to attend and we are grateful to those who are able to.

We understand that rail seating may not be for everyone. We want to make clear that any such visit is not an endorsement, nor a pre-cursor to calling for it at Anfield. We expect that following the visit, our discussions and viewpoints will be informed further. We anticipate that after this visit, we will update supporters and have further discussions about what, if any, further steps we take.

If anyone has any questions they would like putting to Celtic, their staff or supporters, or if you have any questions about the visit itself, please email chair@spiritofshankly.com

Well done all concerned. Could be a very tough day but in great company.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 02:10:33 pm »
Glad to see this and recognise how difficult it will be for some.

I've always maintained that Hillsborough was a failure of Police control and perimeter fencing, not one of standing at football grounds.

Good luck.

A sensible initiative.

I agree with most of your points BCCC but as well as control and fencing the lay out of a lot of terracing left a lot to be desired e.g pens.

And getting out of the back of the Kop in the 60s was certainly an experience.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 02:54:24 pm »
A sensible initiative.

I agree with most of your points BCCC but as well as control and fencing the lay out of a lot of terracing left a lot to be desired e.g pens.

And getting out of the back of the Kop in the 60s was certainly an experience.
Let us not forget that Hillsborough failed no fewer than 14 items on the Green Guide to safety, including, critically, things like barrier heights, barrier distribution, angle of descent on terracing, specifically the angle of descent of the access tunnel and also spacing of terraces, as well as an incorrect (and ultimately fatal) over-estimation of the capacity of each pen. Lateral fencing, leaving nowhere to go, and only one egress from pens 3 and 4, which was the same as the access point? Again, criminally-negligent in terms of failing to monitor numbers of people standing there.....

Getting out of pretty much any large ground was an issue until flow dynamics helped redesign access/egress points and the point remains, ergo standing is not inherently unsafe; ineffective and now-proven criminally-negligent people management and terracing design is inherently unsafe. QED.

Personally, I feel safer standing on The Kop than sitting (on the admittedly very rare occasions I get to go these days). I'd love to see rail seating come in.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:56:25 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 03:35:33 pm »
I don't know anything about these types of seats but I assume that you either get a seat number of else can only have the same number of people per row as there are seats.

Are the seats the same pitch (same number of seats in a given area both across the terrace and up and down).

I can't see any disadvantages other than the obvious (a person who needs to sit for most of the game should sit in a normal seated area).

As far as safety is concerned, then the barriers (backs of seats) need to be able to withstand at least two people just in case one barrier gives way (you wouldn't want a cascade of people just because one seat rail gives way). I think the rails will be more than strong enough.

I believe (although I could be wrong) that you get 2 people per seat.

So you get a seat number and then become either the "A" or "B" person for that seat.

Basically, when the seat is folded upright, you get one person where the seat goes and another where your feet would normally go.

But every single seat has a rail on the back, that is tall enough that you should never have more than those 2 people pressing on it (although the type of steel that I've seen in images looks like it hold back a LOT more than 2 people).
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 03:43:06 pm »
I don't know anything about these types of seats...

There's some basic information on what they might look like here:

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-proposal/the-proposal---continued

And also via the FSF in item #1, here:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/what-does-safe-standing-look-like/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:46:02 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 09:08:33 pm »
It is the way forwards.

The current standing in seated areas is what is unsafe.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 09:46:30 pm »
Think safe standing is going to happen across the country soon so glad to hear we are taking baby steps now so we are better prepared for when a decision can be properly made.

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 10:41:57 pm »
This discussion will always be difficult for the families buti hope when they go to celtic that they are reassured at how safe it is.No matter what I also hope they know we are there for them and that will never walk alone no matter what decision is taken regarding rail seating at anfield.I was at Dortmund for the Scotland game in 2014 and even though we were in the opposite end from the yellow wall there was rail seating in our stand.I have never felt safer and when Scotland scored [shocker] we only could jump up and down and never once fell forward or backwards which can sometimes happen in seated areas.That is just my experience but I would certainly support anfield having it installed as long as the Hillsborough families were to support it.YNWA.
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 11:42:59 pm »
Good to hear this though I appreciate it will be difficult for some of those in attendance. 

The ratio for the Celtic Park standing section is 1:1 that is 1 person,1 ticket,1 seat.

The standing section is split into two parts, that is to say 3 sections at the front full of the green brigade and all those signed up to their "north curve" fan initiative. The 3 sections at the front are the noisiest and most vocal where those who want to bounce about will be found. You will also find some of these inclined folk at the front of the back sections.  The back of those sections tends to be less noisy and not bouncing about as much.

The season ticket cards for the standing section are yellow so that stewards can easily identify them from normal season ticket cards.  Entry to the standing section means more card checks than any other part of the stadium. 

The seats are locked for domestic matches and unlocked for European games. The ground staff/stewards have the job of locking and unlocking the seats when necessary. I have seen some reports say that the seats are in a "down position" for European games. This is not the case. They are simply unlocked and can be used as a normal seat.

https://youtu.be/HOG2QNGckSs  cringy cliches aside this is a good video from Celtic on the installation process and final result.

https://youtu.be/Uo02-r9bBnA Interview with Celtic SLO  John Paul Taylor. I think the lad doing the interview is a Bournemouth Echo journalist.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:24:02 am by ghirl67 »
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 12:25:19 am »
Good luck with the visit. I have a Main Stand season ticket but very occasionally watch the match from the Kop, simply because I was a Kopite from 1970 until 1988 and want to view the game from there - it brings back so many memories. The point is I felt safer in the standing Kop than the supposed all seater version. On numerous occasions I have fallen forward and always leave with bruised shins as sitting is almost impossible. Safe standing has to come in as the current situation is unsustainable and expensive too. Standing isn't inherently unsafe it's how it's managed. The current situation on the Kop is unsafe in my opinion.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 03:53:34 am »
Personally, am very supportive providing it is well managed. That's something which will be important so shortcuts on safety aren't ever taken. It would be safer than the current situation on the kop where it's far too easy to go over the seat in front. Fitting into seats is a problem for my fat backside these days, never mind being over 6' and legroom, so the rare times I get to a match now I much prefer standing.

All the best to everyone heading up to Scotland to see how it works.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 9, 2018, 02:07:27 pm »
West Brom's application for rail seats rejected.

West Brom have had a proposal to introduce safe standing at The Hawthorns rejected by the government. https://bbc.in/2uY4RL3

West Brom have had a proposal to introduce safe standing at The Hawthorns rejected by the government.

The pilot scheme would have meant 3,600 seats in the Smethwick End were converted to 'rail seats', which can be locked in an upright position.

West Brom - who are bottom of the Premier League - hoped to install them in time for the start of next season.

But sports minister Tracey Crouch says there are no plans to change the all-seater policy at football stadiums.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #22 on: April 9, 2018, 02:54:31 pm »
Unsurprising response. Hopefully the reasoned and well organised approach taken by Spirit of Shankly can help convince the government otherwise.

The fear is that the reintroduction of standing at football will be largely unpopular amongst the general electorate so the government will be blind to the work done to reach a sensible conclusion as it plainly too risky to get behind something that could be cast in a negative light in the media.

The government could just side with the view there is no issue with the current setup so why change. The preference of football fans is not high on the agenda for the government, especially due to its image within wider society as a nuisance and trouble-making. Any pandering to a demographic seen as second class will only be looked at as having the potential to back fire.

The last thing the government would want is an issue arising from something they have given the green flag. Being ignorant around health and safety concerns is one thing, as with Grenfell, but to sign off on a policy change and have something occur would be a step beyond.

Scenes like last week's coach welcome or the fan trouble at West Ham won't help either as they give the image of a underground hooligan culture (as certain newspapers could spin those incidents) that could arise again if the chance was given to them.

When the amazing, due diligent process undergone by Spirit of Shankly reaches its climax, the detail and backing behind the petition will need to be bulletproof because any doubt will be too much, even certainty might not be enough to get this passed.

All the best to everyone leading this. I can see it being a long hard campaign before any change is seen.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #23 on: April 9, 2018, 02:57:20 pm »
Actually shameful that they're making games less safe by not introducing safe standing. Have they not learned from Hillsborough? Rail seating in areas that stand already is obviously more safe. My shins are still hurting from falling over seats on the Kop against City.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #24 on: April 9, 2018, 03:19:49 pm »
Well done to West Brom for giving it a go, between that and the sacking of Pardew I like them again now. No surprise the tory c*nts shut them down, absolute scum of the earth. Just have to keep trying.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 9, 2018, 04:45:16 pm »
Actually shameful that they're making games less safe by not introducing safe standing. Have they not learned from Hillsborough? Rail seating in areas that stand already is obviously more safe. My shins are still hurting from falling over seats on the Kop against City.
Watch MoTD - watch ANY Premiership game - watch the slow motion replays of key goalmouth incidents - watch just about everybody standing.......

What do the powers that be expect us to do when we score a stunning and/or significant goal in critical matches? Should we sit passively on our hands and shout. "Hurrah for the Reds!"? Should we perhaps extend it to a polite clap of the hands and say, "Jolly good show, old chap!"? It's FOOTBALL, not the opera......
« Last Edit: April 9, 2018, 04:47:00 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #26 on: April 9, 2018, 05:10:33 pm »
Watch MoTD - watch ANY Premiership game - watch the slow motion replays of key goalmouth incidents - watch just about everybody standing.......

What do the powers that be expect us to do when we score a stunning and/or significant goal in critical matches? Should we sit passively on our hands and shout. "Hurrah for the Reds!"? Should we perhaps extend it to a polite clap of the hands and say, "Jolly good show, old chap!"? It's FOOTBALL, not the opera......

We know that...Unfortunately, the powers that be would clearly prefer the match to be a more sedate and passive "entertainment".

I doubt any Tory government will back rail seating, unless (god forbid) there's a bad accident caused by the current paradigm (and even then I'd imagine they would just attempt to aggressively enforce a 'remain seated' motif).
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 9, 2018, 05:15:57 pm »
We know that...Unfortunately, the powers that be would clearly prefer the match to be a more sedate and passive "entertainment".

how am I meant to enjoy my dunkin donuts and refreshing coke zero in a standing area?! madness
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #28 on: April 9, 2018, 07:59:24 pm »
how am I meant to enjoy my dunkin donuts and refreshing coke zero in a standing area?! madness

Neither of the above are meant to be enjoyed ;)
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 04:34:06 pm »
Suspiciously timed announcement knowing that many will feel the need (rightly) to hold their tongues in this week of all weeks.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 05:12:57 pm »
Suspiciously timed announcement knowing that many will feel the need (rightly) to hold their tongues in this week of all weeks.

It should really be the right week for it. We should strive for the safest environment possible and standing next to seats is not that.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2018, 03:16:52 pm »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2018, 03:49:44 pm »
Signed, need to get it to 100,000 to get it debated in parliament.  At 10,000 the government is supposed to respond.  No surprise that they haven't yet!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 04:38:57 pm »
Signed, need to get it to 100,000 to get it debated in parliament.  At 10,000 the government is supposed to respond.  No surprise that they haven't yet!

They might be Tories but to be fair, its only been waiting for a response for a day. Anyway, I’ve signed it.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 04:02:21 pm »
BUMP!

43,400 now.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 04:22:03 pm »
Done - remember, you haven't signed until you confirm your email address in the link that they send.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 04:23:08 pm »
They might be Tories but to be fair, its only been waiting for a response for a day. Anyway, I’ve signed it.
Plus remember Parliament is in recess until Monday (which is why May and BoJo appear to be trying to decide whether or not to bomb Syria this weekend, so they don't need to discuss it with our democratically-elected representatives :wave)

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2018, 10:35:12 am »

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2018, 11:49:21 am »
Signed
#JFT97