Author Topic: Doping, why bother?  (Read 709 times)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
Doping, why bother?
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:50:36 am »
With more athletes being sent home from the Winter Olympics, it made me wonder why they even try and get away with using banned substances, knowing the testing process is so rigorous.

Back in the day (Ben Johnson, basically any female Russian weightlifter) it might have been possible to elude capture, but not today.

So why bother?  Is winning unfairly worth the risk?
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Doping, why bother?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:07:45 am »
With more athletes being sent home from the Winter Olympics, it made me wonder why they even try and get away with using banned substances, knowing the testing process is so rigorous.

Back in the day (Ben Johnson, basically any female Russian weightlifter) it might have been possible to elude capture, but not today.

Get home early, watching Blockbusters and crack open a tin of Double Diamond?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:20:54 am »
A question that has been much discussed here :wave
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=295375.0

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 12:02:25 pm »

Most don’t get caught. Reward > Risk. It’s more widespread than you know or think. There isn’t enough testing in football compared with Olympic athletes etc, for example.

There’s all sorts of doping going on because it works (mostly) on maximum thresholds for certain blood markers, so micro-dosing certain substances can give a performance gain while ensuring the athletes remain under those thresholds. Sometimes it goes wrong and they’re caught.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.