Author Topic: 2018 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 203776 times)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 2018 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2018, 10:30:15 pm »
I like it.

Whats with the more black though,Haas has the same as well.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2018, 12:10:20 pm »
Front page of f1 racing looks great. Looks shit from side imo
I see what you mean.

Front.

Side.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2018, 12:15:22 pm »
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:06 pm »
I like it.

Whats with the more black though,Haas has the same as well.

Doesn't black mask aero details? I wouldn't be surprised to see it in Oz with less black
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2018, 09:05:28 am »
Don't like the new redbull colours. Just looks quick though.

Edit: Having looked at it more like it more now.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:09:36 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2018, 09:12:18 am »

that i didnt expect

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2018, 09:12:23 am »

Think I'm like you. Needs to grow on me

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2018, 09:29:56 am »
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/red-bull-2018-car-livery-rb14-special.html

Powered by a Tag-Heuer branded Renault engine, the car is expected to run in the distinctive colour scheme in testing before reverting to a more recognisable livery for the first race of the year in Australia.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2018, 09:31:14 am »
that i didnt expect

Think I'm like you. Needs to grow on me

Think it's the initial shock of it being different. The front of the car looks incredible though. I can see this easily being best chassis again this year.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2018, 11:21:21 am »
That red bull colour scheme is great, shame it’s only temporary and won’t be that in the season.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2018, 11:33:59 am »
That red bull colour scheme is great, shame it’s only temporary and won’t be that in the season.
they had a mad black and white camouflage a couple of seasons back

they tend to do things like that

saw a few rave about it that year, didnt really do anything for me

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2018, 11:44:11 am »
This has probably been discussed before, but I can't see how the halo doesn't significantly hinder the drivers' view.  Is it one of those optical illusions where the eyes don't see something right between them?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2018, 11:45:54 am »
This has probably been discussed before, but I can't see how the halo doesn't significantly hinder the drivers' view.  Is it one of those optical illusions where the eyes don't see something right between them?
i think so

if the drivers couldnt see then surely it wouldnt have been brought in

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2018, 12:00:21 pm »
Personally I cannot see how the halo improves driver safety in any way.

If anything it hinders the drivers sight and also driver escape.

If we are talking 2 of the last major incidents in Jules Bianchi and Felipe Massa. Bianchi slid under a recovery vehicle which with a Halo could have made his accident much worse.

Massa was a freak bit of debris that flew into his head at high speed. There could be an argument made that the halo could have deflected the debris away though it could have deflected the debris into his face or even fractured the halo into the cockpit.

I know the halo has been tested alongside various other prototypes and the FIA have gone with the Halo. But I have not seen a single interview or any form of positive support from the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (basically the F1 driver union).

Put it this way. I dont see the Halo lasting the season and I hope that it's not because of a driver accident.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2018, 01:32:41 pm »
So the reason why there is a lot of black on the livery of all the newly presented cars is to hide a lot of the aero pieces.

There will probably be a few changes to the race livery

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2018, 04:27:01 pm »
ok folks, i was working on this a while, I'll post a little bit more each day until done

THE 1991 SEASON REVIEW

There has always been something iconic about the 1991 season for me, maybe it was the first season review I ever bought, maybe it was because it was Senna? Maybe it was the Jordan team, seriously has there ever been a more beautiful car? In fairness 1991 had a collage of beautiful cars, it was before we had stupid x wings, mid wings, elephant ears or whatever the fuck honda had, or bits sticking out of every end of the car that nobody really knew the function of.

It was just awesome really, 3 former world champions, 3 future ones and of course those screaming v12s.

There were way more engine suppliers and two tyre suppliers though Pirelli supplied only 4 of the 18 teams, two teams would run just one car, there were two new teams and some iconic tracks.

The line ups, all running on goodyear tyres unless stated:

McLaren Honda:
1:Ayrton Senna:
Two time World Champion. 2: Gerhard Berger: 5 time Grand Prix winner.

Tyrrell Honda (Pirelli): The team took over the v10 Honda engine and were hoping of a hugely successful season given the reputation of designer Harvey Poselthwaite.
3: Satoru Nakajima and 4: Stefano Modena

Williams Renault:
5: Nigel Mansell:
16 time grand prix winner, postponed plans for retirement.
6: Riccardo Patrese: 3 wins from 200+ starts, most experienced man in f1.

Brabham Yamaha (Pirelli): The team’s glory days of the 70s/80s seemed a long time ago but they were excited to land a new v12 Yamaha engine.
7: Martin Brundle returned to the team after a year out in 1990
8: Mark Blundell: debutant.

Footwork Porsche retained the line up of veteran Michele Alboreto (9) and Alex Caffi (10) although Stefan Johansson briefly drove in place of Caffi. The team were delighted to get a 4year deal with Porsche but it was to be a complete disaster with the engine too big for the car and the car and engine just not being very good.

Lotus Judd:
Lotus had a difficult winter and returned to the Judd engines they used in 1989.
11: Mika Hakkinen: made his debut and was initially to be partnered by Martin Donnelly though he would never race again following his devastating injuries in Spain in 1990. Julian Bailey (12) who last raced for Tyrrell in 1988 signed up but was replaced first by Johnny Herbert, and later by Michael Bartels.

Fondmetal Ford had previously been known as Osella with Fondmetal buying out the little Italian team. They retained the services of erratic Frenchman Oliver Grouillard (14) but with money tight the team ran just one car. Gabriele Tarquini joined the team later in the season.

Leyton House Ilmor again retained Mauricio Gugelmin (15) and Ivan Capelli (16) and had a brand new v10 Ilmor engine. Karl Wendlinger briefly appeared near the end of the season in place of Capelli.

AGS Ford were at deaths door as 1991 began with a barely updated version of an uncompetitive 1990 car. Gabriele Tarquini (17) stayed on board initially alongside Stefan Johansson (18) although by the end of the season both were replaced respectively by Olivier Groulliard and Fabrizio Barbazza.    

Benetton Ford
ended 1990 well with former 3 time world champion Nelson Piquet (20) winning the last two races of the season. Roberto Moreno (19) joined the team at the end of that season and retained his seat for 1991 before being unceremoniously dumped for someone called Michael Schumacher. The team surprisingly opted to use Pirellis for the season.

Dallara Judd (Pirelli) were using a new Judd v10 engine after failing to score any points in 1990 but still retained Emanuele Pirro (21) and also hired in youngster JJ Lehto (22).

Minardi Ferrari:
23: Pierluigi Martini:
only driver to lead a race in a Minardi
24: Gianni Morbidelli: Ferrari test driver, replaced by Roberto Moreno for one race

Ligier Lamborghini were using their 5th new engine in 6 years and many felt they didn’t deserve the promising power unit especially pinching it from the Larrousse team.
25: Thierry Boutsen: 3 time grand prix winner
26: Erik Comas: Debutant and F3000 champion.

Ferrari of course had their own engine for former 3 time champion Alain Prost (27) and Jean Alesi (28). They started the season many people’s favourites but it would sadly be sometime before they would win a race again. Gianni Morbidelli briefly drove at the end of the season when things became so bad that Prost was sacked.

Larrousse Ford had a difficult winter, the teams chassis was built by Lola, and although this wasn’t a big secret the team simply omitted to include that in registering their car resulting in the team spending the winter trying to hold on to a brilliant 6th in the constructors championship in 1990.
29: Eric Bernard: Frenchman who was replaced by Bertrand Gachot late in season.
30: Aguri Suzuki, podium finish at 1990 Japanese Grand Prix

Why were Coloni Ford bothering at this stage?, a sponsorless bulky uncompetitive car barely updated from 1989 on and it wasn’t really that quick then. The team didn’t qualify for a race all season, they at least I suppose had the sense to run just one car. Pedro Chaves (31) had the displeasure of driving the car although Haoki Hattori did appear later in the season.

Jordan Ford were new for 1991 producing an iconic green car that was quick immediately, despite limited funding their sleek green machine scored points on several occasions. The team used 5 drivers although Andrea De Cesaris (33) did stay the whole season. For most of the season he was partnered by Bertrand Gachot (32) but the number 32 car also saw appearances for Michael Schumacher, Roberto Moreno and Alex Zanardi.

Modena Lamborghini
were also new for 1991 with a striking dark blue car, although some reckon it was a good car it was rarely seen on a Sunday afternoon. Nicola Larini (34) and Eric Van De Poele (35) more often than not failed to qualify. The teams identity also caused confusion. Lamborghini built both the car and engine but were quick to distance themselves from being touted as a works team, the Italian engine company did give the team some money but not much. With that the team registered under their location name “Modena”. In truth when a Mexican business man Fernando González Luna fucked off with $20m of funding before the season started, the project was doomed from the beginning. Maybe the team deserve credit for simply turning up.

With 34 entries a pre-qualifying system would take place on a Friday morning. A race grid would consist of 26 cars. It was decided the top 26 cars from the previous season wouldn’t have to pre- qualify but anyone outside of that would have to along with any new teams. Coloni, Fondmetal and Dallara all had to pre-qualify with every other team on the grid having better results in 1990. Jordan and Modena were also in pre-qualifying with the participants to be reviewed mid-way through the season depending on results.

From the 8 pre qualifiers, the top 4 would advance to the normal qualifying format joining the other 26 cars to make a field of 30 from which 26 would go through to the race to compete for the top 6 points paying positions.

As such:
Friday: 8 cars in pre-qualifying. Top 4 advance to join the 26 cars exempt from pre-qualifying. The bottom 4 cars are out for the rest of the weekend
Friday and Saturday: 30 cars compete for 26 grid spots for Sundays race. The bottom 4 cars are eliminated.
Sunday: 26 cars line up at the start and the top 6 score points.

1st- 10 points (increase from 9 in 1990).
2nd- 6 points
3rd: 4 points
4th 3 points
5th: 2 points
6th: 1 point

more tomorrow

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2018, 10:17:52 am »
mysterious tweet from an account in relation to Brabham.

@brabhamauto

"today marks the start of a new era for one of the most celebrated and evocative names in motor racing history. a legend redefined"

are they coming back to f1?

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2018, 10:28:40 am »
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11178437/officers

Company was incorporated a couple of weeks ago with David Brabham as the Director

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2018, 10:42:56 am »
i think so

if the drivers couldnt see then surely it wouldnt have been brought in

They are obviously okay with it. But surely will hinder them a little. I mean put the side of your hand in the centre of you you can see it. It's not like it's invisible.

Hate the halo myself. Don't think it adds anything other than protects from a car being on top of another. And I mean what are the chances of that? Less than being hit my a bus on the way to work.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:48:42 am by clinical »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2018, 10:49:43 am »

THE 1991 SEASON REVIEW

part 2 if anyone interested

SENNA STARTS THE SEASON ON FIRE:

Round 1 in Phoenix, Arizona saw Ayrton Senna on pole from Alain Prost. Senna negotiated the bumpy street circuit superbly well and lead the whole race. 2nd place was much tighter with Prost losing out after a slow stop. Patrese took the spot over after Mansell and Berger retired but Patrese spun off before being collected by Moreno’s Benetton and both were out. Alesi took over before Prost pulled off a masterstroke with a double overtake on both Alesi and Piquet to go back to second on a track notoriously difficult for passing.  Senna took the win ahead of Prost and Piquet while the Tyrrells kept their noses out of bother with Modena 4th and Nakajima 5th. There was some welcome relief for the underfunded Larrousse outfit as Aguri Suzuki came home 6th.

Round 2 was Senna’s home track in Interlagos, he was on pole with Patrese alongside. Senna again had a lights to flag win but didn’t have it all his own way. Nigel Mansell was pushing hard when a long pit stop and puncture held him up, Mansell was catching Senna again until his gearbox failed, Patrese rapidly closed up as it transpired Senna’s gearbox was missing 3rd and 5th gear. Patrese’s gearbox soon had its gremlins but there was further drama when the heavens opened near the end of the race, even on the last lap Senna waved frantically at officials to stop the race. With his gearbox just about holding together Senna won the Brazilian grand prix for the first time ever ahead of Patrese and Berger (whos car was on fire earlier in the race). Prost, Piquet and Alesi were 4th, 5th and 6th. Senna was in a lot of physical discomfort too and had to be helped from his car, he barely had the strength left to lift his Brazilian flag and trophy. (This is covered brilliantly in the film: Senna)

Round 3 in Imola again saw a front row of Senna and Patrese. There was drama before the start as Berger and Prost spun off on the warm up lap in the rain, Berger kept going but Prost was out. Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet also only lasted one lap while Jean Alesi went out on lap 3. When the track dried Senna closed in on Patrese who soon retired with an engine problem leaving the McLarens of Senna and Berger to reel off a 1-2. Outside of the front 2, Moreno’s Benetton retired from 3rd late on allowing a shock podium for JJ Lehto’s Dallara, Martini’s Minardi was 4th while the Lotus duo of Hakkinen and Bailey were 5th and 6th. There was tragedy for the Modena team as Eric Van De Poele suffered a fuel pump failure robbing him of 5th on the last lap. Van De Poele failed to qualify for every other race that season.

Van De Poele radioed his pit asking “what should I do?”, the sad reply told its own story “Eric you can just cry”.  Elsewhere the beleaguered AGS team had new owners, Fabrizio Barbazza replaced Stefan Johansson.

Round 4 in Monaco, Senna was again on pole but this time it was Stefano Modena’s Tyrrell alongside him. Modena kept Senna in check until he struggled to lap Pirro’s unhelpful Dallara, Senna pulled away and Patrese closed up on Modena, although the Dallara was unhelpful, Modena appeared to lack the pace to pass what should have been a slower car, we soon found out why when Modena’s engine exploded in the tunnel, as oil spewed everywhere Patrese slid into the barrier and both were out. Mark Blundell’s Brabham soon spun off due to the same incident.

Prost struggled for handling and slid on the oil too allowing Mansell to take second with a ballsy overtake, Prost pitted for new tyres and embarrassingly a mechanic dropped a wheel nut under the car which dropped Prost to 5th. Alesi got his first podium of the season in 3rd with Moreno 4th, Prost 5th and Pirro 6th continuing Dallara’s good form.

Drivers title: Senna 40, Prost 11, Berger 10, Mansell and Patrese 6
Constructors: McLaren 50, Ferrari 16, Williams 12, Benetton 9, Dallara and Tyrrell 5

WILLIAMS BEGIN THEIR CHARGE WHILE JORDAN IMPRESS:

Canada saw Senna’s stranglehold broken, Patrese was on pole alongside Mansell and the duo pulled away. Both McLaren’s retired while despite being under new management both Ferrari’s also retired. Mansell lead from Piquet as Patrese had tyre and gearbox issues. Late on Stefano Modena charged up past Patrese for 3rd while both Jordans were in the points. On the final lap Mansell lead by over a minute, embarrassingly as he began waving prematurely to the fans his engine died and with that the race was lost. It is believed Mansell may well have dropped his revs too much. Piquet raced around to take the win ahead of Modena with Patrese limping home 3rd, the Jordan’s were over the moon to come 4th and 5th with De Cesaris leading home Gachot. 6th was no consolation for Mansell.

There were changes down the grid, Stefan Johansson joined footwork in place of the injured Alex Caffi, the latter had a monumental crash in Monaco and followed it up with a road accident. The Footwork team had thus far had a nightmare with their Porsche engine. Lotus meanwhile replaced Julian Bailey with Johnny Herbert.

Mexico started with news that designers John Barnard and Harvey Poselthwaite left Benetton and Tyrrell respectively, the latter would score just one point for the rest of the season. On track Patrese and Mansell locked out the front row but at the start Mansell went in front from Alesi, Senna and Patrese. Stefano Modena and Andrea De Cesaris also stayed in touch. As Patrese charged through the field, Senna passed Alesi but as Patrese charged through the field past Mansell, Alesi tried to get through too but after a spin he would later retire with a broken clutch. Patrese pulled away when he passed Mansell and they left Senna behind but temperature problems on the Williams saw Patrese be put under pressure late on, the Italian however held on for the win ahead of his team mate.

It was a fine drive from Patrese especially when considering he had a stomach bug, Senna was third while Andrea De Cesaris was 4th until his car ran out of fuel just before the start finish line, the Italian physically pushed his car over the line, although he was disqualified he was later re-instated (Eddie Jordan’s book claimed he was pushing it for safety reasons to get out of the way), Moreno was 5th with Eric Bernard scoring a fine 6th for Larrousse.

MANSELL WINS WHILE FOOTWORKS PISS POOR(SCHE) SEASON CONTINUES

France saw Footwork revert to a Ford Engine after difficulties thus far with the overweight, underpowered, unreliable Porsche engine, Porsche were to return with a new engine at the end of 1991 but this never happened and Porsche have not been seen in formula 1 since.
The grand prix was at the new Magny Cours circuit and Ferraris new car enabled Prost to share the front row with Patrese again on pole, however a gearbox problem meant Patrese lost a dozen places at the start and ended up having to settle for 5th. Prost was looking good for the win until he was passed by Mansell, a quicker Ferrari pit stop put Prost back ahead until he was held up by De Cesaris’s Jordan. Mansell pounced again to take his first win of the season. Prost was delighted with second underlining the Ferraris potential, Senna was a disappointing third and only just managed to hold off Alesi in 4th. Patrese was 5th with De Cesaris 6th.

MANSELL ROARS INTO CONTENTION AS SENNA AND MCLAREN FALTER:

At Silverstone Mansell stormed to his first pole of the season with Senna alongside, always in inspired form in Silverstone, Mansell was passed by Senna at the start but within half a lap he got back in front and stayed there for the rest of the day. Senna would have been happy with 2nd to still have a 21 point lead but on the final lap the McLaren ran out of fuel and he had to make do with 4th. Jean Alesi had more back luck, after daring overtakes on Prost and Berger he then collided with Suzuki’s Larrousse and both were out, a race where Alesi looked like a potential winner.
Berger also ran out of fuel in the second McLaren but the Austrian’s car still had enough to crawl over the line in second, Prost having spun earlier was an unimpressive third. Senna in 4th was famously lifted back to the pits by Mansell, Piquet was 5th and Gachot continued the good form of the Jordan team with 6th lifting them to an impressive 10 points.

Drivers title: Senna 51, Mansell 33, Patrese 22, Prost 21, Piquet 18
Constructors: McLaren 67, Williams 55, Ferrari 29, Benetton 23, Tyrrell 11, Jordan 10

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2018, 10:51:15 am »
They are obviously okay with it. But surely will hinder them a little. I mean put the side of your hand in the centre of you you can see it. It's not like it's invisible.

Hate the halo myself. Don't think it adds anything other than protects from a car being on top of another. And I mean what are the chances of that? Less than being hit my a bus on the way to work.
If it saves one life then its worthwhile

i was looking at it on a mercedes though? whilst i can sort of understand it not hindering a drivers view i dont know how the driver gets out of the car

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2018, 11:42:58 am »
https://www.sauberf1team.com/photos/c37-launch

the new sauber.

Renault bringing theirs out today too

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2018, 11:57:34 am »
Nice to see an Alfa Romeo logo on a F1 car.

Though insert Alfa reliability joke in here

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2018, 01:12:21 pm »
Not bad. Looks better from the back. Gonna be my second team this year. Hoping leclerc in particular does well

Thanks for the season review HR

My first memories of F1 are of patrese but I honestly can't remember if it was him in the Williams or Benneton. Think it was the latter
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:17:47 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2018, 01:32:28 pm »
Best looking car so far. Even made Halo look okay.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2018, 05:03:51 pm »
Not bad. Looks better from the back. Gonna be my second team this year. Hoping leclerc in particular does well

Thanks for the season review HR

My first memories of F1 are of patrese but I honestly can't remember if it was him in the Williams or Benneton. Think it was the latter
thanks, more tomorrow

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/renault-take-the-wraps-off-r-s-18-f1-car.html

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2018, 05:39:02 pm »
Liking the look of all the images so far to be honest. I also thought the halo would look daft when it was first tested but the way it has been integrated into the new designs so far released it actually looks okay - streamlined and part of the overall look.

looking forward to seeing the rest. Apparently red bulls livery at the moment isn`t the final one but is like that at the moment to stop other teams being able to analyse the new aerodynamic tweaks on the car. Not sure how it does it but there you go.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »
Interesting to see the Halo on the Sauber, it’s got a little lip on the front of it...

Some kind of air funnel maybe?

The lovely on this car is brilliant though.. love it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2018, 07:12:53 pm »

Good job mate  :wave Love a bit of nostaliga and that period of F1 was wonderfully entertaining

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2018, 07:41:46 pm »
Apparently Danny Ric hit a barrier in the RB14 yesterday and damaged the car

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2018, 10:22:27 pm »

<big snip>
Brilliant mate... Keep 'em coming  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:56 pm »
Renault looks great. Hope it goes great too, be nice to see them back amongst the podiums if not wins quite yet.

Sauber looks decent too, hope they're back fighting in the midfield.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2018, 10:35:37 pm »
https://www.sauberf1team.com/photos/c37-launch

the new sauber.

Renault bringing theirs out today too
How nice does that car look.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2018, 02:19:34 am »
Hellrazor: will deffo have a read of that when I get my new ISP hooked up next week. Looks a good read, cheers.  8)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2018, 08:38:53 am »
thanks folks, part 3 in a minute. ill post it early given no cars are out today

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2018, 09:01:21 am »
PRE QUALIFYING, SENNA VS PROST AND SENNA VS MANSELL

Germany saw a prequalifying rejig, Jordan and Dallara deserved to move out having both scored a handful of points, but the Modena team undeservedly also made their way out via a fluke 7th from Phoenix, the team had only qualified for 2 races at this point and it was harsh on the promising and improving Brabham team who had not quite managed to deliver results they were capable of. Footwork and AGS also slipped into pre qualifying, Footwork’s season ruined by the Porsche debacle had Alex Caffi return in favour of Stefan Johansson although it was rumoured he threatened legal action to do so, it was a sorry season for Footwork. Michael Bartels stood in for Johnny Herbert at Lotus but the German failed to qualify.

At the other end of the grid Mansell was again on pole and this time held his lead at the start, Berger initially ran 2nd but a horrible pit stop wrecked the Austrian’s race. Patrese was running second but after both Williams pitted, Alesi emerged in the lead as the Frenchman attempted to run through the whole race on one set of tyres. Mansell and Patrese passed him on their fresh rubber. Alesi was a creditable third but behind him a fierce battle insued between Senna and Prost for 4th which went to neither. Senna defended aggressively causing Prost to go up the escape road, Prost stalled and was out and in the very same spot on the last lap Senna ran out of fuel again.

Senna was classified 7th, behind Mansell 1st, Patrese 2nd, Alesi 3rd, Berger 4th, De Cesaris 5th and Gachot 6th, the Jordan teams remarkable season saw them now ahead of Tyrrell in 5th place in the constructor’s title while Senna’s lead over Mansell (which was 34 points after Monaco) was down to just 8 points. Williams now lead the constructors title by one point (the gap was 38 points in McLaren’s favour after Monaco).

SENNA RALLIES THE TROOPS:

Off the track leading into Hungary, Ayrton Senna rallied the McLaren-Honda troops given it was quite clear they no longer had the best car, it had the desired effect but prior to the race his old rival Alain Prost was nagging away again. Prost was angry following the German Grand Prix when he felt Senna’s defence was aggressive, Prost threatened to run Senna off the track if it happened again, a threat laughed off by Senna. Prost was given a one race suspended ban while both drivers had talks to clear the air. Prost never carried out the threat.

On the tight twisty Hungaroring Senna’s rallying call did the job with Senna taking pole (by over a second) and the race win, Senna lead every lap with Mansell in second, Patrese who had out-qualified Mansell allowed his team mate to pass in light of the championship battle. Berger was 4th with Alesi 5th and Ivan Capelli scored the first point of the season in 6th for Leyton House. The Jordan team’s points run ended with De Cesaris in 7th although Bertand Gachot in 9th did set the fastest lap of the race. McLaren retook the lead in the constructor’s title.

JORDAN MAKE SOME WAVES WITH A FAMOUS DEBUT BUT ITS ALL ABOUT SENNA:

In Belgium, Gachot was again in the news, this time because he was jailed due to an incident with a taxi driver, his place was famously taken by Michael Schumacher. Johnny Herbert returned at Lotus in place of Michael Bartels. Senna was on pole again by over a second, this time from Prost in a very fast Ferrari, Michael Schumacher was a very impressive 7th in the Jordan and even got as high as 5th at the start only for the Jordan’s clutch to break after a few 100 yards, but he had made his point.

Prost retired after 3 laps whilst Senna and Mansell battled for the lead which Mansell took after the pit stops but he too retired with mechanical gremlins, this promoted Alesi to the lead but in a running theme, the Frenchman retired late on with a blown engine.  2nd place had become a poisoned chalice, Riccardo Patrese passed Piquet but slid off the track, Andrea De Cesaris driving the race of his life in the Jordan passed Piquet for second and set off after Senna who had gearbox trouble.

De Cesaris ran out of oil and blew his engine just 3 laps from home, Patrese took 2nd but he too suffered gearbox trouble and ended up 5th. Gerhard Berger took over 2nd and almost caught Senna who limped over the line in 1st, everything had gone Senna’s way. Piquet and Moreno in the Benettons took 3rd and 4th and behind Patrese in 5th, Mark Blundell scored a valuable first point of the season in the Brabham, it was also engine supplier Yamaha’s first ever point.

Drivers title: Senna 71, Mansell 49, Patrese 34, Berger 28, Piquet 22.
Constructors: McLaren 99, Williams 83, Ferrari 35, Benetton 30, Jordan 13, Tyrrell 11.

MANSELL FIGHTS BACK WHILE SCHUMACHER JUMPS SHIP

In Italy there was more drama surrounding Jordan, Benetton signed Michael Schumacher on a long term contract from under Jordan’s noses, despite Schumacher having tested the Jordan since Spa, however without a contract in place Benetton pounced. Roberto Moreno who had just had his best race of the season in Spa (4th with fastest lap) was forced to make way and took over Schumacher’s seat at Jordan. Elsewhere Michael Bartels again replaced Herbert at Lotus.

Senna took another pole but this time Mansell, Berger and Patrese were much closer, Senna lead the field away but Mansell allowed Patrese past to wear down Senna’s tyres. Mansell stayed slightly further back to conserve his tyres as he ran the race without stopping. Patrese did as told and took the lead but just a lap later he spun off with gearbox trouble. Senna’s tyres however were a little more worn and Mansell passed him shortly after. Senna pitted for new tyres, unlike mostly everyone else, he re-emerged 5th but passed Schumacher, Berger and Prost to finish 2nd, however the Brazilian was still 2nd best to Mansell who won the race narrowing the gap to 18 points with 4 races left. Senna was 2nd, Prost 3rd, Berger 4th, Schumacher was 5th on his Benetton debut ahead of team mate Piquet who came home 6th in his 200th grand prix.

PIT STOP WOES LEAD TO BITTER SWEET WEEKEND FOR WILLIAMS

In Portugal the number 2 drivers decided to muscle in on the act, Patrese was on pole, Berger 2nd, Senna 3rd and Mansell 4th, Mansell quipped to the press behind a nervous laugh
“I mean shit!!! You guys have the best grid possible for tomorrow, but for me it’s the worst grid possible” it wasn’t to get better!

At the start Patrese held his lead while Mansell brilliantly went round the outside of Senna then roared past Berger one corner later. As both Williams pulled away Mansell was allowed into the lead by team mate Patrese but disaster struck at the pit stop. Mansell’s right rear tyre wasn’t fitted properly and as one mechanic furiously tried to stop the car leaving his colleague gave the AOK. Mansell’s car left the pit box only to almost drunkenly stumble side to side before coasting to a halt with the right rear wheel rolling down the pit lane. For an absolute eternity Williams tried to fix the situation, the car was illegally lifted (manually as opposed to a jack) and was worked on in the middle of the pit lane causing others to avoid. Mansell even appeared to be crying his eyes out in the cockpit, it was awful to watch. Mansell re-emerged in 17th, he fought his way back to 6th only to be disqualified.

Patrese at least gave Mansell some respite with a win but Senna’s second place gave him a 24 point lead with just 30 points available. Alesi finished 3rd having been briefly under pressure from Martini’s Minardi and Capelli’s Leyton house. Martini did come home 4th but Capelli slid into the barrier to surrender 5th to Piquet and 6th to Schumacher.

MORE GRID RESHUFFLES, AS WILLIAMS HANG IN THERE:

There were more driver changes at the next round in Spain as Michael Bartels again replaced Herbert having stepped aside in Portugal, Bartels in his 4th race for the team again failed to qualify. Further down the order Fondmetal sacked Olivier Grouillard after a row at the Portuguese grand prix, AGS driver Gabriele Tarquini was given the teams blessing to replace him given his loyal service to the AGS team that were now on life support. Grouillard replaced Tarquini in the AGS while Coloni’s Pedro Chaves had enough, he left the team leaving them with no driver for the weekend. The team hadn’t pre-qualified at any race so far.  There was also another change at Jordan as Alex Zanardi replaced Roberto Moreno.

Berger started on pole in the first ever grand prix in Barcelona, Senna was second with Mansell third though the race started on a damp slippery track, Schumacher briefly passed Mansell for third but Mansell returned the favour soon after. Berger was pulling away but as some pitted for dry tyres the leaders held off, during this time Mansell famously went wheel to wheel with Senna with hardly anything separating them, Mansell took the place in a famous overtake that is well known.

The pit stops jumbled the order as Senna emerged in the lead ahead of Berger who had a terrible stop with Mansell 3rd, however a Berger win was as good as anything so Senna allowed his team mate to take over the lead, Senna tried to back the field up but amid handling problems he spun wildly and almost took Mansell out. Several cars passed him. Mansell set off after Berger who just avoided a collision but would later retire himself, shortly after this though Schumacher spun off attempting to pass Berger and he would finish the day in 6th. Mansell took a much needed win ahead of Prost, Patrese was 3rd, Alesi recovered from a stop go penalty to finish 4th with Senna 5th. The gap was now 16 points but only 2 races remained. Williams however had now leapfrogged McLaren to take the lead of the constructor’s title by one point.

Following the race the AGS team withdrew from the sport, they had only made the starting grid 3 times all season.

MCLAREN AND SENNA SEE OFF WILLIAMS AND MANSELL:

In Japan, Coloni made a surprise return with Haoki Hattori at the wheel, Johnny Herbert was yet again back at Lotus while management trouble at Leyton House saw Ivan Capelli step down allowing Karl Wendlinger to make his debut. The first 3 on the grid were the same again as Berger, Senna and Mansell started 1-2-3. They held their position for 9 laps with Berger pulling away from Senna who held back Mansell, a Berger win would mean Senna need only finish 6th. Mansell knew what Senna was up to, but admitted afterwards it was perfectly fair as he knew he would have done the same, but the title race ended on lap 9 when Mansell understeered into the gravel and damaged his car. Mansell was out and Senna was now a 3 time world champion.

For some reason Berger allowed Senna to take the lead even though the title was decided, however on the final corner Senna allowed Berger to take the win, Patrese was third ahead of Prost while Martin Brundle got his first points of the season for Brabham after Schumacher and Martini retired. Stefano Modena gave Honda another point when he brought his Tyrrell home 6th, his first point since Canada. McLaren again lead the constructor’s title race, their lead now 11 points.

SENSATION AT FERRARI IN SEASON ENDING WASHOUT

At the final round in Australia there was drama before the race when Ferrari sacked Alain Prost, it was a late decision as Prost’s garage had been assembled, the Frenchman had been unhappy given Ferrari’s disappointing season when so much more was expected, Prost infamously compared the cars handling to a truck and that was the final straw for Ferrari. Gianni Morbidelli took over the number 27 Ferrari as he was the teams test driver, Morbidelli had driven all season for Minardi and his place was taken by Roberto Moreno, the Brazilian’s third team of the season.

Bertrand Gachot, released early from jail, was back in Formula 1 joining Larrousse after Eric Bernard broke his leg at Suzuka. The race conditions however were treacherous, Senna on pole pulled away from Berger and Mansell. The rain however got heavier and a mistake from Berger allowed Mansell into second. In what could have been a very dangerous accident Mansell attempted to overtake Senna but a marshall warned him to abandon the move as at the end of the long straight lay wreckage with Larini, Schumacher and Alesi all out of the race. A couple of laps later Martini’s Minardi joined the demolition derby when he aquaplaned. A recovery truck was down the same straight and now everyone just wanted it over.

Mansell was next to aquaplane on lap 16 suffering an ankle and head injury, Berger spun off, recovered and spun off again and by now people had enough, Senna began waving furiously to stop the race and the officials waved the red flag. The order was Senna, Piquet, Morbidelli, De Cesaris, Zanardi and Modena. For some reason the results were counted back two laps instead of one resulting in the order being Senna, Mansell, Berger, Piquet, Patrese and Morbidelli.

The officials did threaten to restart but with conditions not improving the race was declared over after just 14 laps and 24 minutes, the shortest grand prix ever.

Ron Dennis summed it up:
“Whether we start again or not we have won the constructors title because Mansell is out, you win championships in 16 races not 1, but it would have been nice to have a better show at the end.”

The season ended with Senna taking the title by 24 points, but it didn’t tell the whole story as to how close it really was, Senna third and final world title may have been his finest but the ominous signs for 1992 were there. Williams and Mansell would destroy everyone.

FINAL STANDINGS:
Drivers title:
Senna 96, Mansell 72, Patrese 53, Berger 43, Prost 34, Piquet 26.5, Alesi 21, Modena 10, De Cesaris 9, Moreno 8
Constructors: McLaren 139, Williams 125, Ferrari 55.5, Benetton 38.5, Jordan 13, Tyrrell 12, Minardi 6, Dallara 5, Lotus & Brabham 3, Larrousse Lola 2, Leyton House 1.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2018, 11:25:41 am »
Liking the look of all the images so far to be honest. I also thought the halo would look daft when it was first tested but the way it has been integrated into the new designs so far released it actually looks okay - streamlined and part of the overall look.

looking forward to seeing the rest. Apparently red bulls livery at the moment isn`t the final one but is like that at the moment to stop other teams being able to analyse the new aerodynamic tweaks on the car. Not sure how it does it but there you go.

Shows the incredible detail these teams go into. Designing a livery just to prevent people copying your ideas to maintain an advantage longer is incredible.

Potentially shows they are confident going into the first few races and want to try and build a lead early in the season before people try and claw back an advantage.

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2018, 01:40:42 pm »
thanks for another great write up Hellrazor. Loving reading these. All my era of first starting to really get into F1 watching with my dad on BBC. Who else misses "the chain".....?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2018, 01:44:09 pm »
thanks for another great write up Hellrazor. Loving reading these. All my era of first starting to really get into F1 watching with my dad on BBC. Who else misses "the chain".....?
no bother

are channel 4 not using the chain?

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2018, 01:44:44 pm »
Shows the incredible detail these teams go into. Designing a livery just to prevent people copying your ideas to maintain an advantage longer is incredible.

Potentially shows they are confident going into the first few races and want to try and build a lead early in the season before people try and claw back an advantage.

They were very good during the last 4 or 5 races of last season and had clearly closed the gap. Problem is Mercedes and Ferrari will no doubt have made further progression and the word seems to be that Mercedes are squeezing even more power from their engine. It will certainly be interesting on tracks that really favour aero over power during the early part of the season. I think this season will be closer than last with McLaren also potentially being thrown in the mix with a new engine - the general view last season was that with a renault engine they would have been on a par with Red Bull based on the power lost through the honda engine, but the gains from the chassis.

Really really looking forward to it and cannot wait for the first race. Testing isn`t too far away now so word should start filtering out about who is looking strong