Author Topic: A house through time ..BBC 2  (Read 8331 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: A house through time ..BBC 2
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2018, 11:32:23 am »
Really enjoyed the programme.  Being local, however, I guess I would say that - though my missus who's from the valleys actually loved it more than me. Mind you she has been here since 1969.

Not sure if I'd have watched if it was about a house in Hemel Hempstead though  ;D

I'm guessing the full circle - merchant >gradual decline>yuppie - aspect is surely historically fascinating wherever you hail from.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 12:38:46 pm »
The whole series was superb. Olusoga was wonderful as presenter - not just an intelligent and sympathetic presence, but someone who also made the process of unearthing the past so interesting. There was some serious digging in these programmes. It felt almost EP Thompson-like the way that such obscure people were "rescued from the condescension of posterity".

What it also made you feel is that the story is far from ended and that Liverpool's social history will continue to develop and change in surprising ways.

Would I have watched a similar thing set in Hemel Hempstead? Never! There are very few places in Britain with the amount of cultural churn that Liverpool has. That's what made it so interesting. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »
The whole series was superb. Olusoga was wonderful as presenter - not just an intelligent and sympathetic presence, but someone who also made the process of unearthing the past so interesting. There was some serious digging in these programmes. It felt almost EP Thompson-like the way that such obscure people were "rescued from the condescension of posterity".

What it also made you feel is that the story is far from ended and that Liverpool's social history will continue to develop and change in surprising ways.

Would I have watched a similar thing set in Hemel Hempstead? Never! There are very few places in Britain with the amount of cultural churn that Liverpool has. That's what made it so interesting.

Bristol?

Port city and a diverse population. But having grown up in the Falkner St area, Liverpool any time.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2018, 01:06:31 pm »
My favourite decade  8)

I too was manufactured in Mill rd hospital  :thumbup

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 02:10:15 pm »
It has been an interesting series, particularly as it ties in with my own research.

Regarding the cholera epidemic, one of my great grandmothers died of cholera in the infirmary of the Brownlow Hill Workhouse. The site is now occupied by the Catholic Cathedral.

The female penitentiary on Falkner Street was for fallen women, when the red light area moved to this area from Lime Street. One of my other great grandmothers was living in Smithdown Lane. She'd moved there from St Helens as a young woman and was probably on the game. She moved back to St Helens and was almost certainly sent to prison for three months for co-managing a brothel there.

I could give them a lot of good stories for the next series..

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 08:05:13 pm »
The bit about the guy with Aids in the final episode was incredibly moving.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 10:58:58 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed the whole series.  Having resided in L8 myself recently, I found it absolutely fascinating. 

The memories of the riots back in 81.  I can remember having to pay a small fortune for a taxi back to Aigburth back at that time, cos of the rerouting the cab had to do.

Loved the neighbour and her memories of John Lennon.  Also loved the (most likely unintentional) digs at Everton  ;D.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 10:59:27 pm »

It really was.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 07:47:15 am »
Was heartbreaking to be reminded of the Aids epidemic that struck in the early 90s. I didn't realise so many had died in just those few streets, despite losing a very good friend who had lived just on the corner of Faulkner and Bedford street.
Felt like they could have squeezed another episode out of it and focussed on some of the 70/80s tennants more, but was definitely favourite factual programme of the year so far.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2018, 12:47:03 am »
Think he was trying to say that although today's Paradise street doesn't look like a step down from today's Church street, that it wasn't the case at the time he was covering the saddler fella.

Yes. He was making the point that the saddler had moved his shop from prime real estate on Church Street to what was then a back street (Paradise Street)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2018, 07:41:25 am »
Yes. He was making the point that the saddler had moved his shop from prime real estate on Church Street to what was then a back street (Paradise Street)

Aye he did refer to the move,but his actual words were "these days,paradise st has been very much tidied up".
Pretty clear to me but hey..
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2018, 08:33:05 am »
Aye he did refer to the move,but his actual words were "these days,paradise st has been very much tidied up".
Pretty clear to me but hey..

Are you saying that instead of 'tidied up' he should have said 'completely rebuilt'? I can't really make out what your objection is here ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2018, 08:52:17 am »
Are you saying that instead of 'tidied up' he should have said 'completely rebuilt'? I can't really make out what your objection is here ;D

Completely transformed/changed..looks like i have spectacularly missed something. :-[
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2018, 10:02:50 am »

Turns out my ma went to college with his sister that they interviewed and she didn't even know, didn't clock it was her until they showed an old picture of her either - mental.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2018, 11:12:41 pm »
Just finished catching up. Genuinely one of the best things I’ve ever seen on British tele, absolutely fascinating stuff.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #55 on: February 1, 2018, 11:14:21 pm »
Watched the final episode tonight ..a fitting end to what was a quite marvelous little series...David Olusoga should be congratulated for the way he put this together, he's a fantastic communicator and his obvious passion for the subject matter and genuine interest in the lives he uncovered made it completely engrossing from start to finish...hats off
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.