Author Topic: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool FC - Sunday October 22 - 16:00 GMT  (Read 41503 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool FC - Sunday October 22 - 16:00 GMT
« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2017, 10:56:54 pm »
Eriksen is more consistent. Great player who pulls the strings for Spurs.

Yeah without question one of the most under rated players in the league
That rare thing in the modern game -  a super effective final third passer

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2017, 11:02:56 pm »
Good luck tomorrow    :)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2017, 11:04:31 pm »
Yeah without question one of the most under rated players in the league
That rare thing in the modern game -  a super effective final third passer

He seems to be really good at those little chipped passes over the last line of defence, the ones that Pogba likes too. They can be really effective when pulled off properly. Definitely a brilliant player.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2017, 12:33:27 am »
He seems to be really good at those little chipped passes over the last line of defence, the ones that Pogba likes too. They can be really effective when pulled off properly. Definitely a brilliant player.
Weren't we linked quite heavily with him while he was at Ajax too?

Offline My Original Username Back

• Kopite
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2017, 01:15:53 am »
I see you caveat that with “out and out striker”.

A very, very Spurs thing to do.

Yes, because if I just said striker, someone will chirp in with, what about Ronaldo or Messi  ;D

You know what I mean. Number 9, lead the line etc

• Kopite
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2017, 01:20:32 am »
I would sooner keep our front three over yours if that's okay.

Absolutely.

I am a huge fan of Mane, Salah and Coutinho.

• Kopite
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2017, 01:21:41 am »
I'm not sure that is the objective view mate, I think that may well be the very definition of a subjective view...

That said, I'd take Kane over Firmino any day of the week. I love our Bobby but Kane is a tremendous striker, even if I'm not sure that he's currently the best striker in world football, or whatever it was you said.

Hopefully it'll be a good game tomorrow. We're a good team, you're a good team, and neither of our managers is a bus-parking Mourinho type so there should be a few moments of entertainment, at the very least.

Agree, and ultimately, it's only 3 points.  :)

• Kopite
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2017, 01:25:25 am »
Rose has the potential to be.

They love a bit of potential do the Spurs fans.

There isn't any potential about it. He's the best LB in the league.

• Kopite
« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2017, 01:33:00 am »
The impression I get, and I may be way off base here (as I don't watch much of SPurs), is that Coutinho's a better dribbler and has a better shot, while Eriksen is a more consistent passer, more of a "string-puller," as you say. I think Eriksen's indirect freekicks are better than Coutinho's, but prefer Coutinho's direct ones.

You may be correct in that Eriksen's more consistent, but I think Phil's improved in that regard every season and his top level is higher than Eriksen's. I don't think there's an awful lot in it, but I'd definitely take Coutinho over Eriksen, and it seemed like that was Barcelona's thinking too.

You are spot on. Eriksen actually was amazing with direct freekicks when he first joined, but it's been ages since he last scored one. His indirect freekicks are top class though.

They are very difficult to compare as although they operate in similar areas they are different players. Coutinho is more direct, Eriksen is more of string puller. Eriksen assists more, kind of similar level of goal scoring. Both great players.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2017, 01:37:52 am »
There's a bit of give but ultimately the level of the players in attack is close enough between us and them, as a team, the level is within range. So the decider usually becomes the tactics, how do you see Spurs approaching this at home, Primativ? Clearly they've got a bit more ambition than Mourinho's Utd, on the other hand our counter attacking capability is lethal. Will you be happy to cede the pitch and the ball for periods, inviting us on, or will you try to impose your game for the full 90?

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2017, 01:56:58 am »
Weren't we linked quite heavily with him while he was at Ajax too?

A lot of clubs were, I think a lot of links were just media joining the dots, I'm fairly sure there was genuine interest from Barcelona and Man City, but he has always said he has had a plan in his head for his career and he wouldn't take a move that didn't fit it. Not sure how playing under Villas Boas fit that plan but I'm not complaining  ;D

In regards to comparing players, it's always inevitable when two sides are playing each other I guess but it's a bit of an exercise in futility really. Despite some similarities we don't play the same. Our system and the priorities of our system are different. I do think our centre backs our both better than yours in terms of ability plus they have been playing together most of their professional careers. However, they would look nowhere near as good in your current team, I think. Likewise would Coutinho, Firmino, Mane and Salah look as good in ours? That one I'm not so sure about. The only 4 I'm sure would replicate their form in either team is Kane, Eriksen, Mane and Coutinho.

Defence aside, which has a lot to do with system, it all ends up fairly close when you look at the overall picture, so why would I or any of you want to swap our players for someone else's? We wouldn't and we shouldn't.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2017, 02:08:04 am »
They are very difficult to compare as although they operate in similar areas they are different players. Coutinho is more direct, Eriksen is more of string puller. Eriksen assists more, kind of similar level of goal scoring. Both great players.

Agree with all this, though I'd still rate Coutinho just a touch above, but that may well be down to my Liverpool bias. A quick check of the stats suggests that Coutinho's scoring rate has improved season on season and he's probably better in this regard (13 goals in 31 last season vs Eriksen's 8 in 36), though Eriksen used to score more but has honed his creative game to the extent that it has to be considered better than Phil's (15 assists in 36 last season vs Coutinho's 7 in 31). Maybe Eriksen played deeper than Coutinho last season though which could have affected his scoring rate, as I said I don't watch your lads enough to have an informed opinion.

As you say, they're both great. I was a touch surprised that Barca didn't switch their attentions to Eriksen after we flat out refused to sell Coutinho last window, although they're probably happy to play the waiting game in much the same way we were with Van Dijk (though in truth I worry the likelihood of Coutinho ending up at the Nou Camp is probably higher than Van Dijk coming here) and I'd imagine that Levy would just have told them to fuck off.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2017, 07:47:43 am »
Friday’s Training photos

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/278863-melwood-gallery-57-snaps-as-reds-get-set-for-wembley-clash-with-spurs

Coutinho rested ??

I've not seen anything to say otherwise, so probably. He's been busy in the last couple of weeks for club and country.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2017, 08:14:02 am »
Do we know if Phil trained and is fit?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2017, 08:26:09 am »
He seemed to be limping in the tunnel after the Man U game but played the full 90 during the week.

Probably just a rest.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2017, 08:38:01 am »
He seemed to be limping in the tunnel after the Man U game but played the full 90 during the week.

Probably just a rest.

Yeah I think he'll play. Well, hope he plays ;D Klopp probably just playing it safe with him.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2017, 08:55:25 am »

Probably just a rest.

If so , letting him play a full 90 on Tuesday seems poor judgment?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2017, 08:58:11 am »
If so , letting him play a full 90 on Tuesday seems poor judgment?

Not necessarily, Klopp wouldn't have played him if there were signs of any problem by Tuesday. For all we know, if he was limping, it could just have been cramp.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2017, 09:05:11 am »
Don't really see the point in comparing players like for like. We've put out teams over-burdened with quality and turned in turgid performances against lesser opposition and gifted chances and goals. Doesn't really mean a lot with the way our season has gone.

I think it's going to come down to Spurs' ambition and seeing if Firmino or Salah or can take one of those chances they usually miss/slice. Can see Coutinho having close attention considering he's our only 'real threat'. If we're being ambitious ourselves then probably Robertson/Moreno and TAA. The midfield.........pffft.............Milner deserves a shot - probably for Can.

Will be tough, closely contested. I think their best chance is if Pochettino relaxes the chains and basically banks on his forwards hurting our defence more than ours hurting theirs. I also think that's our best chance though, otherwise we'll be heading for the same type of game as United, probably a bit more quality but ending 0-0 or 1-1.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2017, 09:11:05 am »
Not necessarily, Klopp wouldn't have played him if there were signs of any problem by Tuesday. For all we know, if he was limping, it could just have been cramp.

Personally wouldn’t have played him the full 90 with the game wrapped up so early , wondering did Klopp want him getting match sharpness and intended resting  him in training ?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 22, 2017, 09:12:21 am »
Personally wouldn’t have played him the full 90 with the game wrapped up so early , wondering did Klopp want him getting match sharpness and intended resting  him in training ?

Probably, it would make sense.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2017, 09:38:33 am »
Play Henderson and Gomez taking out Can and TAA.

Think we will have a really string performance.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

• Kopite
« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2017, 09:59:13 am »
There's a bit of give but ultimately the level of the players in attack is close enough between us and them, as a team, the level is within range. So the decider usually becomes the tactics, how do you see Spurs approaching this at home, Primativ? Clearly they've got a bit more ambition than Mourinho's Utd, on the other hand our counter attacking capability is lethal. Will you be happy to cede the pitch and the ball for periods, inviting us on, or will you try to impose your game for the full 90?

I'd like to see us play a bit more pragmatically than we have against you in the past. Rather than playing our usual game, I'd prefer to see us play similarly to how we did in Madrid, sit deep, play direct counter attacking football, possibly play Llorente up top and Kane in the number 10 role and then having runners off them. The last two seasons our tactics just haven't worked and to be honest, Liverpool play like demons possessed against us. So I am approaching today with some trepidation.

Dembele and Wanyama are a big miss in central midfield. Looks like it will be two of Dier, Sissoko and Winks again in there. I think ultimately both teams will have even number of chances and the winner will be whoever is most clinical or conjures up a bit of magic. I want to see Alli have a strong game, he's been way below par this season so far.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:01:07 am by Primativ »

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2017, 10:06:20 am »
I'd like to see us play a bit more pragmatically than we have against you in the past. Rather than playing our usual game, I'd prefer to see us play similarly to how we did in Madrid, sit deep, play direct counter attacking football, possibly play Llorente up top and Kane in the number 10 role and then having runners off them. The last two seasons our tactics just haven't worked and to be honest, Liverpool play like demons possessed against us. So I am approaching today with some trepidation.

Dembele and Wanyama are a big miss in central midfield. Looks like it will be two of Dier, Sissoko and Winks again in there. I think ultimately both teams will have even number of chances and the winner will be whoever is most clinical or conjures up a bit of magic. I want to see Alli have a strong game, he's been way below par this season so far.

Uh-oh.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2017, 10:19:02 am »
If Pochettino has any sense he'll let us have the ball and have Spurs sit deep hitting us on the counter. The last 2 times they've tried to go toe to toe with us and we dominated the game.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #266 on: October 22, 2017, 10:20:20 am »
If Pochettino has any sense he'll let us have the ball and have Spurs sit deep hitting us on the counter. The last 2 times they've tried to go toe to toe with us and we dominated the game.

He did say some shit about expecting surprises in his press conference.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

• Kopite
« Reply #267 on: October 22, 2017, 10:20:24 am »
Uh-oh.

Haha. I'll also add, we've been quite laboured in every single PL game at Wembley so far this season. If that continues again today, I fear we will be in trouble.

Total contrast to our scintillating away performances...

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #268 on: October 22, 2017, 10:24:24 am »
He did say some shit about expecting surprises in his press conference.
They have no real pace in their front 6, I wouldn't worry about their counter-attacks. Doubt they'd change their identity for a home game against us.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #269 on: October 22, 2017, 10:38:05 am »
I'm looking forward to this game. Two good coaches with well thought through tactics, both looking to win.

Ordinarily it would be just play your best and see what happens, but dropping points against Watford, Burnley, Newcastle & Salford makes the result more important than it should at this stage of the season.

We have enough to beat them, if we can avoid mistakes and take some of our chances. Think Salah will be key.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2017, 11:06:33 am »
Come on the Redmen!

Close game that will ultimately hinge on us stifling Eriksen, IMO. He's been their best player so far this season, adding more goals to his game.

Also vital that Hendo tracks Ali in the final third.

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2017, 11:08:32 am »
Buzzing for this. Have to say I have a lot of respect for Pochettino and what he's doing there. I'm a huge fan of Harry Kane - he's the only England player with genuine world class potential.

I think if we had Lallana Coutinho and Gini in the middle we'd run rings around their midfield (definitely the weakest part of their team), however with Adam out I hope Milner starts instead. I'm feeling an optimistic 2-1 win here. Kane, Coutinho, Salah.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2017, 11:12:26 am »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2017, 11:14:35 am »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: October 22, 2017, 11:16:18 am »
Kane is better than Lewandowski.

Nope.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: October 22, 2017, 11:19:15 am »
Yes, because if I just said striker, someone will chirp in with, what about Ronaldo or Messi  ;D

You know what I mean. Number 9, lead the line etc

Maybe if he has a good World Cup you can say that. Bit early with best in world statements yet.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2017, 11:20:06 am »

He really isn't. I have every respect for Kane but that comment of yours in just not true.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2017, 11:22:14 am »

We already knew your judgement on Europe was clouded, you didn't have to confirm it again!

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2017, 11:30:54 am »
On the Eriksen vs Coutinho...

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2017, 11:35:40 am »
On the Eriksen vs Coutinho...
Biggest difference between the two in Phil's favour imo is he delivers much more in big games which are the best barometer of gauging someone's quality. They're practically the same profile of the player but when it comes to who's more likely to deliver on big stage smart money should be on Phil.