Author Topic: World Cup Qualifiers Week (Oct 5-10)  (Read 64477 times)

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
World Cup Qualifiers Week (Oct 5-10)
« on: October 4, 2017, 02:43:13 pm »
Finally, we are getting close to the fun part of the qualifiers. The part with raw emotion, joy, and some sad heartbreaks.

If you're gonna come here and say: "Fuck World Cup, Fuck International Football", kindly fuck off.....or maybe tune in to see post game reactions of teams such as Peru, Syria, Egypt, Panama, Iceland who could seal their first ever qualification to World Cup this weak (or first appearance in a looooong time). Then maybe you'll understand how much international football means to some people.

Anyways, a list of Intriguing games (with high stakes) that will happen in the next week:

Thursday, Oct 5th

Asian Play-off:
Syria vs. Australia (huuuuuuuuuge)

Europe:
Armenia vs. Poland
Montenegro vs. Denmark (huuuuuuuuuuge)
England vs. Slovenia
Northern Ireland vs. Germany (a dead rubber to be honest)
Scotland vs. Slovakia (huuuuuuge)

South America:
Colombia vs. Paraguay
Argentina vs. Peru (huuuuuuuuge)
Chile vs. Ecuador (huuuuuge)

Friday Oct 6th

Europe:
Georgia vs. Wales
Austria vs. Serbia
Ireland vs. Moldova
Croatia vs. Finland
Turkey vs. Iceland (huuuuuuuuuuge)
Kosovo vs. Ukraine

Africa:
Mali vs. Ivory Coast

Concacaf:
USA vs. Panama (huuuuuuuuge)
Costa Rica vs. Honduras

Saturday Oct 7th

Africa:
South Africa vs. Burkina Faso
Uganda vs. Ghana (huuuuuuge)
Nigeria vs. Zambia (huuuuuuuge)
Guinea vs. Tunisia
Libya vs. Congo DR
Cape Verde vs. Senegal
Morocco vs. Gabon

Europe:
Sweden vs. Luxembourg
Bosnia vs. Belgium
Belarus vs. Netherlands
Bulgaria vs. France (huuuuge)
Switzerland vs. Hungary

Sunday Oct 8th

Africa:
Egypt vs. Congo

Europe:
Denmark vs. Romania
Poland vs. Montenegro (potentially huuuuuge)
Slovenia vs. Scotland (potentially huge)
Lithuania vs. England (meh)

Monday Oct 9th

Europe:
Finland vs. Turkey
Iceland. vs. Kosovo
Ukraine vs. Croatia (potentially huuuuuuuge)
Wales vs. Ireland (potentially huuuuuuge)

Tuesday Oct 10th

Asia:
Australia vs. Syria (huuuuuuge)

Europe:
France vs. Belarus
Netherlands vs. Sweden (huuuuuuuuge)
Portugal vs. Switzerland (huuuuuuge)

South America:
Brazil vs. Chile
Peru vs. Colombia (huuuuuuge)
Ecuador vs. Argentina (huuuuuge)
Paraguay vs. Venezuela

Concacaf:
Panama vs. Costa Rica
Honduras vs. Mexico
Trinidad vs. USA

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: World Cup Qualifiers Week (Oct 5-10)
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2017, 03:31:42 pm »
Some huge games this week.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2017, 06:09:01 pm »
Appreciate all the fixtures. Has Mane only got one qualifyer can only see one game.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2017, 06:45:15 pm »
Appreciate all the fixtures. Has Mane only got one qualifyer can only see one game.

Yes. African qualifiers, each team plays only one round this month, and final round of fixtures in November, where Mane will have to play 2 matches instead of 1 (because the South Africa-Senegal game will be replayed due to referee corruption).

A bit unfair on Burkina Faso, as Senegal will know exactly the result they'll need in Johannesburg against an almost certainly-already eliminated South Africa.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2017, 07:10:29 pm »
Some massive fixtures.

Bulgaria-France is a really interesting one.  On paper, it looks like France should win the group (France 17, Sweden 16, Netherlands 13, Bulgaria 12).  Sweden-Netherlands is in the final round of fixtures and could be for 2nd place (France plays Belarus in that round). 

However, history does not favor France against Bulgaria.  Of course, much of this is irrelevant to the current squad as the fixtures took place a long time ago, but in the 9 times France has played in Bulgaria, they have 1 win, 1 draw, and 7 defeats.

Also, for the 1994 World Cup Qualification, France had both Sweden and Bulgaria in their group.  France were in first place with 2 matches to go, with home matches against Israel (winless in 8 matches) and Bulgaria (in 3rd) to play.  Against Israel, France were 2-1 up with 10 minutes to go but inexplicably lost 3-2.  Sweden pulled level with France on points, but top 2 teams advance, so France were still fine despite a bad defeat.  They needed to avoid a loss against Bulgaria at home in the final match to qualify.  France took the lead, but Bulgaria leveled the match and then scored the winner in stoppage time.  France were eliminated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA_–_Group_6)

The France of today should have no problems, and they have incredible talent.  However, if history is any indication, the French often struggle with team chemistry, and they've had some bad memories of playing in Bulgaria and qualifying from the same group as Bulgaria and Sweden.

That 0-0 draw against Luxembourg may just be a blip (France had just beaten the Netherlands 4-0), but it could also come back to haunt the French.

In Group B, Switzerland are 3 points ahead of Portugal but they play in Portugal on the final match day, so it's likely to come down to that match for the auto qualifying spot.

Group D (Serbia 18, Wales 14, Ireland 13) is an incredible group as the top three teams have combined for just 1 defeat.  But Serbia's two second half equalisers against Wales leave them in a bit of bother.  Wales is currently the 9th second place side, and could miss out on the playoffs even if they do finish second.  Wales play Ireland on the final day but have a tricky trip to Georgia before.  For Euro 2008, Scotland had a great run in qualification despite being in the same group as Italy and France.  They even beat France home and away.  Before their win-or-bust encounter with Italy, Scotland fell to a 2-0 defeat at Georgia.  Can't overlook that trip.

Group E has Poland leading the way, but Montenegro and Denmark are each 3 points behind and have identical points and GD.  They play each other in the first match before Poland-Montenegro on the final day.  That could be an exciting finish to the group.

In Group F, Slovakia (15), Slovenia (14), and Scotland (14) are vying for second.  Good news for the Scots is that they play both teams, so they control their own destiny for a playoff spot (provided they're not the worst 2nd place team).

Group I is a mess (Croatia 16, Iceland 16, Turkey 14, Ukraine 14).

Conmebol qualifying is also incredibly exciting.  Peru are on fire, but they have to travel to Argentina, who are in dire straits.  16 goals in 16 matches from Argentina.  A country that can call on the likes of Messi, Aguero, Dybala, Icardi, Correa, etc have managed to average the same number of goals as a relegation-fighting side.  Chile, the winners of two straight Copa Americas, are 6th and are on the outside looking in.  Just 7 points separate second from seventh.

And then you also have Syria-Australia in the Asia playoff for the intercontinental playoffs.  Winner plays the Concacaf 4th place team, which could be the United States as they try to salvage a shit campaign against Panama and Trinidad & Tobago.

CAF group stage is winding down with 2 more matches remaining for everyone (except Senegal and South Africa).  Pretty much every group is still too close to call.

As always, with all the excitement, no injuries to Liverpool players please.
King Kenny.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2017, 07:21:46 pm »
Yes. African qualifiers, each team plays only one round this month, and final round of fixtures in November, where Mane will have to play 2 matches instead of 1 (because the South Africa-Senegal game will be replayed due to referee corruption).

A bit unfair on Burkina Faso, as Senegal will know exactly the result they'll need in Johannesburg against an almost certainly-already eliminated South Africa.

Thanks for that.

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2017, 07:41:49 pm »
Looks like Wales will have to win both their games to finish 2nd and avoid being the 9th placed runner up and missing out.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2017, 07:46:49 pm »
Looks like Wales will have to win both their games to finish 2nd and avoid being the 9th placed runner up and missing out.

Beating Ireland shouldn't be too difficult for a start. Woeful side. Is Bale expected to be fit?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2017, 08:10:21 pm »
CONCACAF is interesting group it's a 3 way fight for the final automatic qualifying spot, & a playoff spot between US, Panama & Honduras, Honduras have the tougher fixtures v Mexico & Costa Rica, US play Trinidad and Tobago last, Trinidad and Tobago have already been eliminated.
#Sausages

Online Brain Potter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2017, 08:13:18 pm »
Beating Ireland shouldn't be too difficult for a start. Woeful side. Is Bale expected to be fit?

Bale misses both games. Georgia away will be really tough to win.i don't think a draw is enough.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 4, 2017, 09:49:45 pm »
Can't believe the OP has described us v Germany is a dead rubber  :no We're gonna fucking smash them c*nts
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2017, 09:52:12 pm »
I really hope Georgia perform miracles on Friday as I can't see us winning in Wales next week.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2017, 09:57:08 pm »
Scotland have almost certainly left it too late, though knowing us we'll win both games and go out as worst 2nd place. Missing two of our best players in Brown and Armstrong.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2017, 10:01:59 pm »
I really hope Georgia perform miracles on Friday as I can't see us winning in Wales next week.

Think we'll need to win both to have a chance at not being the worst 2nd placed team anyway.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2017, 10:31:42 pm »
Think we'll need to win both to have a chance at not being the worst 2nd placed team anyway.

It looks that way. The stupid performances against Georgia and Serbia last time out have been a kick in the balls

3 points against Georgia and a point against Serbia almost guarantees a play off

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #15 on: October 4, 2017, 10:57:34 pm »

It looks that way. The stupid performances against Georgia and Serbia last time out have been a kick in the balls

3 points against Georgia and a point against Serbia almost guarantees a play off

We can never do it the easy way though. At least it's entertaining, I mean the situation, clearly not the football.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 5, 2017, 11:28:46 am »

Thought you were a Norn Iron fan Barney?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 5, 2017, 12:22:52 pm »
Thought you were a Norn Iron fan Barney?

I swing both ways mate

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #18 on: October 5, 2017, 01:43:46 pm »
Football fans who feel the need for everyone to know how much they don't like international football can fuck right off to the bin with United fans and people who put small dogs in handbags.

Dreading the Georgia game without Bale but not half as much as the game on Monday night. The only thing worse than missing out on a play off place will be having to share the same city for a night out with those that have taken our place! Hoping Woodburn continues his good form for his country too.

"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 5, 2017, 02:27:19 pm »
I swing both ways mate

Good to know mate. 

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 5, 2017, 03:24:55 pm »
Syria 1-1 Australia FT

Australia led for most of the match and Syria equalised late in the match.

Second leg is on Tuesday.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Brain Potter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2017, 03:36:55 pm »
Syria 1-1 Australia FT

Australia led for most of the match and Syria equalised late in the match.

Second leg is on Tuesday.

Maybe Australia v USA or Panama in the final play off ? Can't really see Syria beating the Australians, although I think El Tel fucked a similar situation up a few years ago when he was in charge.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: October 5, 2017, 03:39:49 pm »
Maybe Australia v USA or Panama in the final play off ? Can't really see Syria beating the Australians, although I think El Tel fucked a similar situation up a few years ago when he was in charge.

Lost on away goals to Iran in a play off for France 98. Think they shipped two in the last few minutes which was a terrible shame.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #23 on: October 5, 2017, 04:44:36 pm »
Bit divided over how I want things to go these next 2 games for Ireland. Obviously going to the World Cup is better than sitting home watching it but there's a good chance that we'll miss out, even with 2 wins as the worst second placed team (figures as it's by far the weakest group, we're all shit).

There's so many changes that have to happen with the Irish team, so many new players to bed in. Don't imagine that if we do go to Russia we'll be bringing all the young lads through.

Feck it, hope we win anyway.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #24 on: October 5, 2017, 05:11:00 pm »
Lost on away goals to Iran in a play off for France 98. Think they shipped two in the last few minutes which was a terrible shame.

My favorite memory growing up, no doubt. Much more memorable day, even more so than beating USA at the World Cup. Crazy to think it's been 20 years.

Aussies went ahead 2-0 early in second half and were in total control until one of their idiot fans ripped up the net which suspended the match for 7-8 minutes and let Iran team regroup and refocus.

Ali Daei getting all cozy with ref Sandor Puhl after FT whistle...

Everytime some miserable fucker here says: "Ban int'l footy, it's crap" , I get reminded my favorite ever childhood memory was International footy.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #25 on: October 5, 2017, 05:23:12 pm »
Poland off to a great start in Armenia.

If they win this, and also manage to beat Montenegro, they should cement their place among the top 8 in FIFA rankings, hence being a top seed at WC draw in Kremlin on December 1st.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 5, 2017, 05:27:00 pm »
Poland have some very good players now. They were disappointing at the Euros, expecting more from them in Russia.

Online J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 5, 2017, 05:29:42 pm »
Early as FOOK bet shout but Lewa for e/w top scorer in 2018 may not be the worst few quid.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #28 on: October 5, 2017, 05:30:36 pm »
Poland have some very good players now. They were disappointing at the Euros, expecting more from them in Russia.

Ehmmm, they made it to the quarters and lost out to the eventual champions on penalties.

They could have easily won the EC, had they lucked out the penalty shoot-outs vs. Portugal.

Their most disappointing bit at last Europe was the last hour vs. Switzerland. That was a truly lucky break they got.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #29 on: October 5, 2017, 05:31:53 pm »
Azerbaijan vs Czech Rep is on the telly here :D Better than nothing!

Luckily the Germany game is on after.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 5, 2017, 05:34:10 pm »
Ehmmm, they made it to the quarters and lost out to the eventual champions on penalties.

They could have easily won the EC, had they lucked out the penalty shoot-outs vs. Portugal.

Their most disappointing bit at last Europe was the last hour vs. Switzerland. That was a truly lucky break they got.

Their performances were a bit flat though, even if they did get some victories. I went in to the tournament thinking they could have the firepower to do real damage and they struggled mightily to score.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 5, 2017, 05:39:27 pm »
Think I will watch the NI-Germany game, seems a hell of a lot more interesting than the England game that's for sure. Joachim Löw came out with some interesting words about the current state of German club football. He was pointing out how poor all the German club's results were in Europe. Asking the question as to whether this was a downturn in their fortunes. I'm not convinced myself, after all not too many English teams are hitting the heights either. I certainly can't see it effecting the German national team for a good while yet.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 5, 2017, 06:04:12 pm »
Think I will watch the NI-Germany game, seems a hell of a lot more interesting than the England game that's for sure. Joachim Löw came out with some interesting words about the current state of German club football. He was pointing out how poor all the German club's results were in Europe. Asking the question as to whether this was a downturn in their fortunes. I'm not convinced myself, after all not too many English teams are hitting the heights either. I certainly can't see it effecting the German national team for a good while yet.

The German national team will be fine, the talent there is amazing, as shown in the summer from U21 to Confederations Cup and then onto these WC qualifiers. They have such depth.

I think the Bundesliga is suffering a bit, cos it can't compete financially for players, so even though there are plenty of players coming into the league, with the exeption of Bayern, and BVB to a degree, teams have to dig deeper to find the talents, they can't go out and compete for the already established stars. Plus the French league has overtaken the Bundesliga now regards transfer fees spent too.

Of cousre there are many arguemtns as to whether things should change in the Buli, goodness knows with what is going on with Hannover 96 and Martin Kind, then there is that dickhead Ismaik from 1860 Munich wanting to challenge the 50+1 rule, things could happen. I hope it doesn't though, there is far more good than bad with how the Buli is ran, and the football and footballers it produces.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 5, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »
The German national team will be fine, the talent there is amazing, as shown in the summer from U21 to Confederations Cup and then onto these WC qualifiers. They have such depth.

I think the Bundesliga is suffering a bit, cos it can't compete financially for players, so even though there are plenty of players coming into the league, with the exeption of Bayern, and BVB to a degree, teams have to dig deeper to find the talents, they can't go out and compete for the already established stars. Plus the French league has overtaken the Bundesliga now regards transfer fees spent too.

Of cousre there are many arguemtns as to whether things should change in the Buli, goodness knows with what is going on with Hannover 96 and Martin Kind, then there is that dickhead Ismaik from 1860 Munich wanting to challenge the 50+1 rule, things could happen. I hope it doesn't though, there is far more good than bad with how the Buli is ran, and the football and footballers it produces.

I'm really surprised nobody has challenged the 50+1 rule in court before now. It's so flimsy and I don't think it'd stand up in court at all. Suppose nobody wants to be the person that brings it down though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 5, 2017, 06:10:49 pm »

German football is one of the best, love the way they run the game. It's always the German fans who create the best atmosphere's on European nights at Anfield too. They have an awful lot right in their game to be honest, it would be a shame to see it all change. The way football is going at the moment, who knows what will happen. I still cannot believe the prospect of a game on Christmas Eve in the Premier League, just mad. You can have too much of a good thing, and you always get the impression that one day they will push it too far.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 5, 2017, 06:10:56 pm »
Oh peno for Azerbaijan early in then 2nd half.

And it's 1-1. Czech will be ruing missed chances, but plenty of time for them still.

I'm really surprised nobody has challenged the 50+1 rule in court before now. It's so flimsy and I don't think it'd stand up in court at all. Suppose nobody wants to be the person that brings it down though.

yeah for sure. I hope no bugger does bring it down, I'm hugely in favour of it!

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 5, 2017, 06:36:18 pm »
Great atmosphere in town last night and today. Germans everywhere. Think they've about 1000 tickets but they seem to have about 5000 here  ;D

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #37 on: October 5, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »
After Poland's thumping win, it just made Montenegro vs. Denmark match even more of a bloodbath.

Hoping for a nice and easy draw, there.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 5, 2017, 06:38:53 pm »
Lewandowski has scored 15 goals in this qualifying campaign. England have scored 16.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 5, 2017, 06:39:56 pm »
Lewandowski has scored 15 goals in this qualifying campaign. England have scored 16.

He is some player.