Author Topic: The Ashes: England in Australia 2017-18  (Read 104015 times)

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: The Ashes: England in Australia 2017-18
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2017, 10:34:56 am »
Means they can squeeze itineraries further if they're scheduled to last a day less. They won't have any contingency for a fifth day if there is a washout.

ok then, I can't see what it's supposed to achieve that's actually any good.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »
And with the 3 day mandatory gap between tests, you can have back to back tests starting on a Thursday to maximise corporate takes.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2017, 07:44:45 pm »
The womens Ashes starts soon, warm up games begin tomorrow. The winner will be decided on a points system with 4 points for a win and 2 for a draw in the tests and 2 points for a win in the ODIs and T20. There's 3 ODIs, 3 T20s and one test

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2017, 12:40:54 pm »
BT have announced the commentary line up for The Ashes:

Michael Vaughan
Ricky Ponting
Geoffrey Boycott
Adam Gilchrist
Graeme Swann
Damien Fleming

Hosted by Matt Smith!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2017, 12:43:01 pm »

Michael Vaughan
Ricky Ponting
Geoffrey Boycott
Adam Gilchrist
Graeme Swann
Damien Fleming

Hosted by Matt Smith!

BBC not got TMS rights?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2017, 12:43:28 pm »

Michael Vaughan
Ricky Ponting
Geoffrey Boycott
Adam Gilchrist
Graeme Swann
Damien Fleming

Hosted by Matt Smith!

Doctor who ashes to ashes
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2017, 12:45:23 pm »
On BT?!  :butt
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2017, 12:56:32 pm »
As long as they do have their own and we don't have to be subjected to the channel 9 lot. If Australia are doing well that'd be awful to listen to.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2017, 01:14:36 pm »
TMS:

BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew will lead the ball-by-ball commentary team, with former England players Michael Vaughan, Geoffrey Boycott, Graeme Swann and Phil Tufnell providing expert analysis.

They will be joined by Australia legend Glenn McGrath, while Jim Maxwell, Simon Mann, Dan Norcross, Ed Smith and Alison Mitchell complete the line-up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/15665499

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2017, 01:35:42 pm »
Ponting and Flem are excellent.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2017, 01:52:05 pm »
Ponting and Flem are excellent.

Vaughan and Swann are not.

What is Channel 9 coverage like? What Poms do you get on there? Might watch that if England are doing well.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2017, 01:54:12 pm »
TMS:

BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew will lead the ball-by-ball commentary team, with former England players Michael Vaughan, Geoffrey Boycott, Graeme Swann and Phil Tufnell providing expert analysis.

They will be joined by Australia legend Glenn McGrath, while Jim Maxwell, Simon Mann, Dan Norcross, Ed Smith and Alison Mitchell complete the line-up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/15665499

Boycott, Vaughan and Swann set up the double pay day trip then. Good work

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2017, 02:37:04 pm »
I wonder if Swann will see this one through or whether he'll quit half way through if the going gets too hard?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2017, 03:14:53 pm »
Was hoping for Nark Nicholas to be in there but I suspect he'll be with the Channel 9 lot.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2017, 05:27:32 pm »
Michael Vaughan - Meh
Ricky Ponting - Great
Geoffrey Boycott - Entertaining
Adam Gilchrist - Never seen him as a pundit
Graeme Swann - Tedious  / annoying
Damien Fleming - Pretty good.

Matt Smith - Hmmmmm

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2017, 05:39:02 pm »
Was hoping for Nark Nicholas to be in there but I suspect he'll be with the Channel 9 lot.

I hope this was intentional.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2017, 06:22:02 pm »
I think matt smith's sound and it's good that he's still getting plenty of work since itv booted him for no reason. If anything he's probably doing better now.

If they put fleming and swann on together I'm not sure they'd talk about actual cricket very much. Could be entertaining though.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2017, 05:28:10 am »
What is Channel 9 coverage like? What Poms do you get on there? Might watch that if England are doing well.
Crap. They'll get Vaughan on and thats about it. Slater, Warne, Healy, Tubby, and Nicholas all crap. Chappelli and Bill in Melbourne is the only thing worth listening to.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2017, 07:22:16 am »
are the C9 lot still "the matiest mates who ever mated" as I saw them described once?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2017, 08:49:34 am »
are the C9 lot still "the matiest mates who ever mated" as I saw them described once?
Yep. You really don't wanna listen to them. Best Aussie commentators are Punter, Flem, Tom Moody, Phants, Chappelli, and AB. Then the radio guys like Maxwell, Gerard Whateley, Ed Cowan, and Kerry O'Keefe are good.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2017, 12:45:37 pm »
Yep. Spot on voodoo ray, Maaaaaaaate. :wave
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2017, 05:49:50 pm »
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2017, 06:22:08 pm »
That was it. I've hardly any experience of actually listening to them but I thought it was a really good read at the time. It's clearly a directive for them to be like that.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2017, 07:38:27 am »
The womens Ashes starts soon, warm up games begin tomorrow. The winner will be decided on a points system with 4 points for a win and 2 for a draw in the tests and 2 points for a win in the ODIs and T20. There's 3 ODIs, 3 T20s and one test

Australia women take the first ODI. Chased down 231 with 5 balls to spare.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2017, 01:37:48 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

I thought I'd share it again, it was a fantastic read.

I agree with a lot of that, unfortunately.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2017, 10:40:29 am »
By Gideon Haigh

David Warner. A microphone. A recorder. A question about sledging. What could possibly go wrong?

Quite a lot, it would seem, if you have followed this week’s headlines. For in his promotional roles for the Ashes in the past week, Australia’s vice-captain has sounded more like a heavyweight at a weigh-in.

“As soon as you step on that line it’s war,” Warner told the ABC last weekend. “You try and get into a battle as quick as you can.

“I try and look in the opposition’s eyes and try and work out: ‘How can I dislike this player? How can I get on top of him?’ You have to delve and dig deep into yourself to actually get some hatred about them to actually get up when you’re out there.”

It was spendthrift language (“war”, “battle”, “hatred”), and ­predictably incurred censure ­(“pathetic”, “destructive”, “deplorable”).

Even Warner resiled just a little, tempering his remarks at an event on Tuesday: “Everyone’s mates, we are mates, but sometimes you have to really try and work a way out to actually build some kind of — I used the word ‘hatred’ the other day — but some dislike, make things a little bit uncomfortable for blokes when they’re out there.”

In other quarters, of course, there was also lip-smacking relish: Warner was “bringing back the sledge”, which among some breed of fans occasions waves of nostalgia.

At the very least, it demonstrated again why Warner is box office, all or nothing with bat and mouth. But there was more substance to Warner’s remarks than most chose to see.

His most provocative word was actually not war, battle or hatred — the hackneyed hyperbole of an age in which nothing is knowingly understated — but try.

Warner was straining, awkwardly, to convey that tapping into peak aggression does not come naturally; it requires an individual to “delve and dig deep”; it might even necessitate generating a simulated animosity.

The idea is older than it seems. Last week, coincidentally, I enjoyed The Kid From Coraki, the newly published memoir by Richie Benaud’s late father Lou.

It’s a charming book full of affirming sentiments about cricket’s moral excellence (“Ethics and cricket are like true friends — never at their best when parted”).

Yet Lou also recalled how, even in his bush cricket in the 1930s, he would try to work up what he called “inward anger”, sometimes against a particular rival. He recommended: “All players should develop inward anger, a surge of controlled aggression, of fierce determination to cope with the challenge of batting or bowling in difficult circumstances.”

If it lacked Warner’s exorbitance of expression, Lou Benaud’s approach originated in a similar sentiment. “Inward anger”, “competitive juices”, “game face”: whatever you call them, these distinguish sport from recreation.

Why would Warner need to strain for this competitive state? After all, it is usually said of him that the reverse is true — that his native belligerence has required self-conscious subduing.

Maybe, maybe not. Warner turns 31 on Friday. He has done what he does many years, in humdrum as well as heightened circumstances. He is happily married, has two bonny daughters, could retire tomorrow and lead a life of comfort verging on luxury. There is none of the stereotypical cues for a kill-or-be-killed competitive urge here.

Nor was Warner’s qualification about “everyone’s mates, we are mates” a throwaway either. Scroll through Warner’s T20 timeline and consider the breadth of his past and present comrades. From India: Sehwag, Gambhir, Ishant, Dhawan, Rahul, Yuvraj, Bhuvaneshwar and Nehra. From South Africa: Steyn, Morkel and de Villiers. From New Zealand: Taylor, Boult and Vettori. From Sri Lanka: Jayawardene and Dilshan; from West Indies Gayle and Sammy.

The effect of this kind of mixing, matching and blending in domestic T20 dressing rooms has not been uniform, but is not to be underestimated. In his last book, Kevin Pietersen talked about the complication of playing against Warner in the Ashes having played with him at the Delhi Daredevils: “I was thinking, I can’t abuse this bloke — I play with him in India. I’ve spent so much time with him, I know that, actually, he’s a cool dude.” Warner hard to dislike? Who knew?

During the recent short-form tour of India, the Australians were actually criticised for their reticence, for having on the field too little to say — which must surely be a first.

Warner’s old Daredevils mentor Virender Sehwag ascribed this to self-interest: “They [Australian players] are scared because of next year’s mega IPL auctions. If they had sledged the Indian players in the ODI series, then the Indian franchise owners might think before bidding high for the Australian players.” Too cynical? It has become, in many respects, a very cynical game.

Another inhibitor certainly exists, which is the ICC’s new system of automatic suspension for the accumulation of four demerit points within a 24-month period.

Whatever its value as a deterrent, it has already had some risible outcomes. Not so long ago, for example, Kagiso Rabada was rubbed out of a Test for the misdeed of swearing at nobody in particular but within the range of a pitch microphone. Around the same time, sages were urging Ben Stokes to infringe deliberately in order to incur a pre-Ashes suspension, thereby wiping his proverbial slate clean — that, of course, was before Stokes took another proverbial slate and broke it over his own head.

All of which adds up, and affords a context to Warner’s seeming verbal incontinence. Aggression is abiding, but must be adapted: it may now need to be premeditated, husbanded, channelled, even feigned.

There is a risk in this, too — that aggression becomes simply another commodity in a game whose spontaneity is always under threat from straitening influences.

This week, Cricket Australia foreshadowed an official social media “rallying cry”: the officially sanctioned and sterilised aggression of a hashtag, #BeatEngland.

I know that Luther would today not nail his 95 theses to a church door but tweet #PlenaryIndulgencesLMFAO instead. But if this is the alternative, I can forbear promiscuous use of words like “war”, “battle” and “hatred” — after all, media outlets debauch them of meaning daily.

In an Ashes summer, part of the fun is the licence inherent in the strength and length of competitors’ connections. Sir Robert Menzies’ lines in Wisden now read a little anachronistically, but the sentiment is worth reiterating: “Great Britain and Australia are of the same blood and allegiance and history and instinctive mental processes. We know each other so well, thank Heaven, we don’t have to be too tactful with each other.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/opinion/gideon-haigh/the-ashes-david-warner-is-pure-box-office-as-england-approach/news-story/2a71432857dac0a9c98b394f99172aa1

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2017, 10:52:24 am »
Very good article.

Cricket is in a bit of a mess really.

But I guess it has been for a fair while now.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2017, 05:12:03 pm »

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:17:40 pm by Klippity Klopp »

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #108 on: November 4, 2017, 10:01:06 am »
well in surprising news, cook and root make 9 between them and the runs come from stoneman, vince, ballance and malan!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41917

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #109 on: November 4, 2017, 11:34:14 am »
I have this irrational belief that this might be a great tour for Vince.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #110 on: November 4, 2017, 11:51:06 am »
well in surprising news, cook and root make 9 between them and the runs come from stoneman, vince, ballance and malan!

Not a bad thing. We know we can rely on Cook and Root and good for all the others to get some confidence.

Those Root and Smith stats are freakishly similar bar the average. Few more not outs for Smith presumably?

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 4, 2017, 12:25:24 pm »

Mentioned about this on mah Twitter before - Five Live earlier this morning, lead with "COOK AND ROOT FAIL IN AUSTRALIA". And only half way through their report actually mentioned that apart from that, everyone else had got good runs.

To me, it's far more important that Stoneman, Malan etc are scoring than Cook and Root who've got almost 20,000 Test runs between them.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 4, 2017, 10:59:14 pm »
I have this irrational belief that this might be a great tour for Vince.

Think he was picked as they felt his style would suit Australia pitches, so you could be right.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 5, 2017, 12:41:56 am »
Those Root and Smith stats are freakishly similar bar the average. Few more not outs for Smith presumably?

Or just more runs from fewer matches. 8)

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 5, 2017, 06:00:58 am »
Or just more runs from fewer matches. 8)
8)  8)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #115 on: November 5, 2017, 08:41:41 am »
Ooh they’re assembling! I missed that minor detail, it was only as I went down the list that I noticed how similar the other numbers looked.

Would you say Smith is the better player? I imagine (without looking at stats!) that when Smith gets in he probably scored bigger than Toot. Could do with Joe turning those regular lovely 80s into something bigger this winter.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #116 on: November 5, 2017, 09:47:45 am »
"toot"

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #117 on: November 5, 2017, 10:18:28 am »
"toot"

Haha, my phone clearly thinks I’m Mr Toad.
:D

Looks like Jimmy bowled well today, the rest went at quite a rate.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 5, 2017, 10:31:05 am »
Root is better.

Getting runs in England is tougher than Australia.

Root is having to face the new swinging ball frequently and that for me gives him the edge IMO.

I wouldn't swap him for Smith, who is brilliant in his own right.