Author Topic: Catalan Independence  (Read 45141 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Catalan Independence
« Reply #200 on: October 1, 2017, 09:39:55 pm »
Really? Wasn't aware of that. Really can't see the EU doing anything about this though.
The Guardia Civil is the oldest law enforcement agency in Spain. It is organised as a military force charged with police duties under the authority of both the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Defence.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #201 on: October 1, 2017, 09:41:31 pm »
The Tories did what they thought was politically expedient. They thought the referendum would be won easily (far easier than it was) and that it would make the issue go away for decades.

Agreed, but it was still done the right way which is democratically, the Scottish people wanted a referendum, one was arranged, the topic debated and people voted at the end with no real violence. You have to remember how rare that actually is, in most similar situations across the globe violence on one or both sides is pretty much a part of the process sadly.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: October 1, 2017, 09:52:23 pm »
"Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont says region has won right to independence after Sunday's contentious referendum"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41463719

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #203 on: October 1, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »
Guy Verhofstadt? Thought you would know him.... Belgian MEP and the European Parliaments chief Brexit negotiator.
I’m genuinely too distressed by the whole Brexit debacle to invest time in getting too involved in it at the moment..

That’s my excuse.. ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: October 1, 2017, 10:12:03 pm »
Some horrible scenes on the news. Police dragging women by their hair, real nasty stuff.
Not sure that was necessary.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #205 on: October 1, 2017, 10:14:20 pm »
One of the most surreal things about this entire debacle, is the fact that these thugs arrived in Barcelona aboard this boat..

Spain hires Looney Tunes cruise liner to house thousands of police in rebel Catalonia

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 1, 2017, 10:15:44 pm »
Reports are in that Independance won the vote. Not a surprise of course.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #207 on: October 1, 2017, 10:17:11 pm »
Reports are in that Independance won the vote. Not a surprise of course.

How many actually voted though?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 1, 2017, 10:19:41 pm »

I assume it's been mentioned already but the people that went out to vote were probably in favour of independence. I don't think there'd have been much point in potentially getting caught up in the brutality just to vote to remain anyway.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 1, 2017, 10:20:03 pm »

Well its a vote that wont be recognised anyway so not that relevant.  However as I mentioned earlier if you are voting and risking a kicking from the cops you are not going to be voting against independence. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: October 1, 2017, 10:21:05 pm »
I assume it's been mentioned already but the people that went out to vote were probably in favour of independence. I don't think there'd have been much point in potentially getting caught up in the brutality just to vote to remain anyway.

In the last one in 2014 80%+ voted for independence.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 1, 2017, 10:21:26 pm »
The Guardia Civil is the oldest law enforcement agency in Spain. It is organised as a military force charged with police duties under the authority of both the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Defence.

You learn something new everyday.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #212 on: October 1, 2017, 10:22:01 pm »
True I guess.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #213 on: October 1, 2017, 10:23:34 pm »
Why do they want out mate...

Interested in hearing the full picture...

They want independance .

Just spoke to my Catalun sister and she is in fucking tears.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #214 on: October 1, 2017, 10:24:06 pm »
#BREAKING Merkel calls @marianorajoy, asking for explanations of police brutality in Catalonia.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: October 1, 2017, 10:25:25 pm »
They want independance .

Just spoke to my Catalun sister and she is in fucking tears.
Why mate, what are the fundamental reasons for it...?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: October 1, 2017, 10:28:23 pm »
Catalonia's grievances with Madrid
Barcelona has become one of the EU's best-loved cities, famed for its 1992 Summer Olympics, trade fairs, football and tourism.
But Spain's 2008 economic crisis hit Catalonia hard, leaving it with 19% unemployment (compared with 21% nationally).
It is one of Spain's wealthiest regions, making up 16% of the national population and accounting for almost 19% of Spanish GDP. But there is a widespread feeling that the central government takes much more than it gives back.

It does appear to take more than it gives - though the complexity of budget transfers makes it hard to judge exactly how much more Catalans contribute in taxes than they get back from investment in services such as schools and hospitals.
According to 2014 figures, Catalonia paid €9.89bn more into Spain's tax authorities than it received in spending - the equivalent of 5% of its GDP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29478415

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 1, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »

Look at it the other way - what’s the fundamental reason why they shouldn’t be independent?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: October 1, 2017, 10:30:19 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29478415
I know that, but surely there’s more to it than that?

This seems to come down to simple greed (or jealousy?). Looking at the people who are protesting, I just can’t imagine it’s just that..
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 1, 2017, 10:30:54 pm »
Look at it the other way - what’s the fundamental reason why they shouldn’t be independent?
I could write quite a lot about this.. but I’m too lazy..
W

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 1, 2017, 10:33:50 pm »
And this goes deeper than Catalun indepence.

It's pure fucking Fascism slaying the human heart.

Divide and Rule and that old chestnut .

This one has really got to me .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #221 on: October 1, 2017, 10:33:54 pm »
International observers say Spainish State acted out of hand and no voters provocked violence.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 1, 2017, 10:35:14 pm »

Well then don’t be surprised if no one answers your question either!

But the long and short of it was we both saw the Scottish referendum, and I would guess most if not all of the same reasons and arguments on both sides could be applied here (minus probably oil)
Thinking is overrated.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 1, 2017, 10:35:38 pm »

I don't to science.

We wanted Justice.

They want independance.

No calculator needed.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: October 1, 2017, 10:38:52 pm »
I know that, but surely there’s more to it than that?

This seems to come down to simple greed (or jealousy?). Looking at the people who are protesting, I just can’t imagine it’s just that..

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-does-catalonia-want-to-leave-spain-madrid-is-resisting-catalans-vote-for-independence-2478572

This article explains a multitude of reasons apart from the financial aspect. This bit stood out to me:

It's not the only way Catalans feel they are being mistreated by Madrid. In 2010, the Constitutional Court stripped Catalonia of some of its regional decision-making powers, and removed language from a 2006 statute describing Catalonia as a "nation." That move upset many in the region.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: October 1, 2017, 10:39:47 pm »
I definitely hope they get independence now.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 1, 2017, 10:40:13 pm »
https://www.bustle.com/p/why-does-catalonia-want-to-leave-spain-madrid-is-resisting-catalans-vote-for-independence-2478572

This article explains a multitude of reasons apart from the financial aspect. This bit stood out to me:

Cheers, that’s very informative
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 1, 2017, 10:40:34 pm »

Why shouldnt they? Stronger together isnt a good reason. A disney reason maybe, but not a real world reason.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: October 1, 2017, 10:41:59 pm »
Why shouldnt they? Stronger together isnt a good reason. A disney reason maybe, but not a real world reason.
Oh goodness. It’s in every way a reason, and for so many different reasons that stem from it..
W

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 1, 2017, 10:43:00 pm »
Oh goodness. It’s in every way a reason, and for so many different reasons that stem from it..

Stronger together, with their military police who like to beat the shit out of us if we get a bit uppity.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 1, 2017, 10:47:30 pm »
Stronger together, with their military police who like to beat the shit out of us if we get a bit uppity.
Inspite of them ...yes...

Mind you, in the case of discrimination of communities are acts of violence against specific groups, I don’t think you are stronger together, the Madrid government didn’t their damnedest to ruin their own country,
W

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 1, 2017, 10:48:09 pm »
Because they, along with 92% of the rest of Spain, agreed in a referendum on a constitution that calls on the "indissoluble unity of the spanish nation". Because this referendum was illegal under that constitution. Because the rest of the country they are part of is affected greatly by whether they stay or don't stay; those rural parts of Spain need support from Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia. Because it could be the beginning of even further calls for independence from other regions. Because they already have autonomy, face no repression economically or otherwise, aren't on the back of any war etc. Because in the mess that is the world at the moment, the last thing we need is more division. Because polling suggests that actually, Catalunyans don't actually want independence. 

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 1, 2017, 10:57:25 pm »
Now that the results suggest people voted for independence, what would be the next step for Catalans to take?
It will be hard to expect Spanish government to approve a legal/official referandum there as the results will remain the same.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 1, 2017, 10:57:38 pm »
There is no question .

Independence .

My Cataluyn friends are fucking ripped in two tonight.

There is no debate needed here.

Its the same as a people saying about us about why do we want Justice ?

Fuck you Franco .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 1, 2017, 11:00:16 pm »
Because they, along with 92% of the rest of Spain, agreed in a referendum on a constitution that calls on the "indissoluble unity of the spanish nation". Because this referendum was illegal under that constitution. Because the rest of the country they are part of is affected greatly by whether they stay or don't stay; those rural parts of Spain need support from Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia. Because it could be the beginning of even further calls for independence from other regions. Because they already have autonomy, face no repression economically or otherwise, aren't on the back of any war etc. Because in the mess that is the world at the moment, the last thing we need is more division. Because polling suggests that actually, Catalunyans don't actually want independence. 

Who cares if Spain brakes up if people democratically decide to leave.

Does a vote to agree to a constitution mean it stays the same in perpetuity? Constitutions and laws change and evolve on all matter of subjects.

Forcing people to be part of a country they don’t want to be part of is nothing but colonialism. And while I agree that seems to be a lot of division in the world and we don’t need any more it’s easy to say that when your not actually affected by that particular struggle.

If most Catalans don’t want independence, then the Spanish have nothing to worry about by a referendum I’m which case it should go ahead.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 1, 2017, 11:01:31 pm »
There is no question .

Independence .

My Cataluyn friends are fucking ripped in two tonight.

There is no debate needed here.

Its the same as a people saying about us about why do we want Justice ?

Fuck you Franco .

Er, that's just a fucking ridiculous comment

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 1, 2017, 11:01:55 pm »
Not sure of the source, but this was posted on another forum which has a thread about the referendum.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: October 1, 2017, 11:05:24 pm »
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/official-catalan-independence-thread.420844/ - apparently, Catalonia might make a unilateral declaration of independence sometime in the next 48 hours.

edit - the thread is in a subforum that requires registration there.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2017, 11:10:39 pm by sms1986 »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 1, 2017, 11:08:09 pm »
Now that the results suggest people voted for independence, what would be the next step for Catalans to take?
It will be hard to expect Spanish government to approve a legal/official referandum there as the results will remain the same.

I think a lot will depend on outside pressure. The Spanish govt have acted dreadfully and potentially against EU Law regarding using military on their own people.

However if there is little outside pressure then I think they will dig their heels on no referendum.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #239 on: October 1, 2017, 11:08:41 pm »
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/official-catalan-independence-thread.420844/ - apparently, Catalonia might make a unilateral declaration of independence sometime in the next 48 hours.
Can't view that thread without singing up