Author Topic: The Ultimate Music Draft - Live and Loud 1953 to Present Day - Discussion Thread  (Read 59557 times)

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
Re: The Ultimate Music Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2017, 06:43:00 pm »
Can't go wrong with Hendrix.

I was literally just about to type out the exact same thing! The coolest dude in music history.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2017, 06:43:15 pm »
Yeah great pick that. Love how the definitive performance is in France as well ;D

:D

To be fair, it's probably their only show from that period with proper audible sound. Almost everything else sounds like it was recorded underwater!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2017, 06:43:16 pm »
Djozer with an outstanding pick. Well in lad! I was ummming and ahhhing between him and Stevie for my 1st.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2017, 06:44:55 pm »
Who doesn't love Hendrix. Thought he might go first actually.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2017, 06:47:58 pm »
Fuck off! Yellowman. ;D

I saw that brother in London in the 80's....he could "toast."

As to that Snow vid....that's fuckin awful.  ;D Painful even.

;D

Snow's not painful, he's a legend. Sort of.

And yeah, Yellowman's amazing. I'm vaguely planning to have I'm Getting Married in the Morning played at my wedding. Possibly followed by Cast's Walkaway!

Sorry about the wait, guys. I was eating. Then typing like a monkey on speed, trying to do Mr Hendrix justice.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2017, 06:49:44 pm »
I was literally just about to type out the exact same thing! The coolest dude in music history.

No, second to The cool cat in my profile pic.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2017, 06:50:35 pm »
Not even UB40?

Definitely not UB40 (excluding their earlier stuff). There are white reggae bands worth listening to.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2017, 06:50:43 pm »
:D

To be fair, it's probably their only show from that period with proper audible sound. Almost everything else sounds like it was recorded underwater!
I never saw the Velvet's play until the 90's, it wasn't the real VU.I did see Lou Reed in 78 in London..one of my gig highlights.

As a kid I listened to black music, it was my buying Bowie's Ziggy LP, that led me onto the VU and Reed...they and a couple of others were the only white music I loved until Punk popped up....and you can hear the VU and Reed all over that music from then.

I've seen loads of artists I love pass...and never really been affected by their passing, I cried the night Lou died..I posted on RAWK about it...still miss him.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2017, 06:50:47 pm »
Who doesn't love Hendrix. Thought he might go first actually.

Yeah, I was relieved he didn't - my man love for the guy knows no bounds. There's a few gigantic names that haven't been picked yet actually, evidently most here have far more interesting musical taste than my own. I'll try and go a bit more obscure from now on...

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2017, 06:50:52 pm »
Djozer with an outstanding pick. Well in lad! I was ummming and ahhhing between him and Stevie for my 1st.

Stevie is a good shout but there are some phenomenal guitarists not mentioned... Yet.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2017, 06:53:55 pm »
After...Trane, Davis, Gaye, Mayfield, Gillespie, Armstrong, Mingus, Brown, Simone...I could go on like.

And......Gallagher was a better player too. Murder in an empty house. ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2017, 06:54:30 pm »
I did think Hendrix would go sooner.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »
Stevie is a good shout but there are some phenomenal guitarists not mentioned... Yet.
Stevie Wonder is good at playing spoons, never mind guitar...but you meant Vaughan. ;D

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2017, 06:55:47 pm »

Cheers man, those were pretty much my first two as well, oddly enough. Think I had a mad run of listening to Stevie a couple of weeks ago, I tend to do that every few months or so. The dude is insanely talented. Obliterated pretty much everyone in the 70s, in my opinion, a crazy run of albums.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2017, 06:56:58 pm »
Stevie Wonder is good at playing spoons, never mind guitar...but you meant Vaughan. ;D

The white Hendrix! Very nearly put his version of Little Wing up as I couldn't find Jimi's, some beautiful playing there.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2017, 06:58:17 pm »
Yeah, I was relieved he didn't - my man love for the guy knows no bounds. There's a few gigantic names that haven't been picked yet actually, evidently most here have far more interesting musical taste than my own. I'll try and go a bit more obscure from now on...

Pick whoever you want to pick! You don't have to go obscure if you don't want to, the gigantic names are usually gigantic for good reason. It's nice that people seem to be picking their favourites rather than just going for the biggest name available though, should lead to more variety.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2017, 07:00:25 pm »
Yeah this is definitely a draft where it's pick who you like.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2017, 07:01:49 pm »
How the hell do you embed videos?
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2017, 07:08:33 pm »
I never saw the Velvet's play until the 90's, it wasn't the real VU.I did see Lou Reed in 78 in London..one of my gig highlights.

As a kid I listened to black music, it was my buying Bowie's Ziggy LP, that led me onto the VU and Reed...they and a couple of others were the only white music I loved until Punk popped up....and you can hear the VU and Reed all over that music from then.

I've seen loads of artists I love pass...and never really been affected by their passing, I cried the night Lou died..I posted on RAWK about it...still miss him.

Reed in '78... that's Street Hassle era! One of my favourite periods when he went totally nuts, more so than usual. Was that the Take No Prisoner tour? I've got the live album for that. Still one of my favourite recordings ever. This version of Sweet Jane is insane (though whoever uploaded this cut the intro). Fucking hates Barbara Streisand  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PW4outnu6os" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PW4outnu6os</a>

I'm sure you know the song 'I wanna be black' too. Also great.

I'm definitely with you there, mate. No death outside of family has affected me like that. His music has been so connected to my life that he almost felt like family to be honest.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2017, 07:09:36 pm »
Pick whoever you want to pick! You don't have to go obscure if you don't want to, the gigantic names are usually gigantic for good reason. It's nice that people seem to be picking their favourites rather than just going for the biggest name available though, should lead to more variety.

I will, mate I was just messing  ;). I'm gonna have to put a few well known names in there though, otherwise no one would want to come to my festival bar me, me dad and a couple of mates who'd just end up arguing about whether or not DOOM's a better rapper now than he was in the 90s or something equally pointless - shittest barbecue ever.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2017, 07:15:55 pm »
By the way, if Buck Pete's first pick isn't Def Leppard or Motley Crue then I've been misjudging him all these years.

:lmao

ye fucker

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »
Reed in '78... that's Street Hassle era! One of my favourite periods when he went totally nuts, more so than usual. Was that the Take No Prisoner tour? I've got the live album for that. Still one of my favourite recordings ever. This version of Sweet Jane is insane (though whoever uploaded this cut the intro). Fucking hates Barbara Streisand  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PW4outnu6os" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PW4outnu6os</a>

I'm sure you know the song 'I wanna be black' too. Also great.

I'm definitely with you there, mate. No death outside of family has affected me like that. His music has been so connected to my life that he almost felt like family to be honest.
Iirc, it has been a few years since then,I think it was the Rock and Roll Heart tour. That's the song he opened with, then went straight into I'm Waiting for the Man! I've been to thousands of gigs and that night is up there for me.  I love everything Reed did, he was a genius in my eyes and ears.

Take No Prisoners I got as a coloured vinyl double LP....each LP was a different colour, red and blue.

I remember seeing Echo and the Bunnymen for the first time in Erics in Liverpool and it was pure VU....that's the reason I think the Bunnymen are the best band to come from Liverpool.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2017, 07:31:04 pm »
How the hell do you embed videos?

1. Copy and paste a youtube link into RAWK draft box.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2pF5oMdP4

2. Remove the 'watch?' and replace the '=' with a '/'

Example: https://www.youtube.com/v/mf2pF5oMdP4

3. Highlight the edited link and click the red f icon to the left of the image icon above the drafting box.

Example (without the space): [flash =200,200]https://www.youtube.com/v/mf2pF5oMdP4[/flash]

4. If you want a bigger video size, you can change the square bracketed numbers to something like [400,300]

Presto:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mf2pF5oMdP4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mf2pF5oMdP4</a>

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2017, 07:44:33 pm »
Does that work on mobiles because YouTube has a mobile specific link I think.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2017, 07:46:01 pm »
Does that work on mobiles because YouTube has a mobile specific link I think.

Aha, I have no idea. I'm usually at my laptop. Maybe there's a simpler way that people do this on mobile.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2017, 07:47:19 pm »

Word but Vaughan was even a better vocalist.

Perhaps a different Vaughan.   

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2017, 07:49:10 pm »
Word but Vaughan was even a better vocalist.

Perhaps a different Vaughan.   

Stevie Ray surely.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2017, 08:04:02 pm »
I'll be honest, I've never heard of the Blue Aeroplanes before, but really liked the two videos Gregorio put up, and I'd potentially go to a gig just to watch that bloke dance.

Good pick, sir.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2017, 08:04:18 pm »
Stevie Ray surely.

8)

Guitarist yes.

Vocalist, nope.  :-X

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2017, 08:05:59 pm »
I'll be honest, I've never heard of the Blue Aeroplanes before, but really liked the two videos Gregorio put up, and I'd potentially go to a gig just to watch that bloke dance.

Good pick, sir.

Ditto, it's nice to see an act new to me - they sound ace and that dancing is immense  ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2017, 08:06:11 pm »
8)

Guitarist yes.

Vocalist, nope.  :-X
A decent player..not Gallagher good, but, okay.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2017, 08:06:47 pm »
All the picks and not one for Groundpig....shameful.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2017, 08:08:20 pm »

Look up Vaughan "Send in the clowns"

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2017, 08:08:58 pm »
Iirc, it has been a few years since then,I think it was the Rock and Roll Heart tour. That's the song he opened with, then went straight into I'm Waiting for the Man! I've been to thousands of gigs and that night is up there for me.  I love everything Reed did, he was a genius in my eyes and ears.

Take No Prisoners I got as a coloured vinyl double LP....each LP was a different colour, red and blue.

I remember seeing Echo and the Bunnymen for the first time in Erics in Liverpool and it was pure VU....that's the reason I think the Bunnymen are the best band to come from Liverpool.

Still a great time to see him either way. I thought he was incredible on the Berlin tour in 2007 (along with original guitarist Steve Hunter). But I can only imagine how incredible it would've been to see him close to his peak.

I think I've got that same vinyl. Passed down to me from my Dad.

Yep, love Echo too. Quite an underrated band really. Wonder if they'll get picked in the draft now you've namechecked them.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 10, 2017, 08:11:23 pm »

Rory or Noel?  ;)

Also, the fuck's a Groundpig? I want one.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #235 on: September 10, 2017, 08:12:56 pm »
Look up Vaughan "Send in the clowns"
You meant Sarah. ;D

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 10, 2017, 08:13:51 pm »
You meant Sarah. ;D
;)

She is the greatest.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #237 on: September 10, 2017, 08:18:58 pm »
Baffling there's still no Whigfield

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #238 on: September 10, 2017, 08:19:01 pm »

Good pick, sir.

it was real 'wall of sound' stuff with multiple rythmn guitars , and yes, he was great fun
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #239 on: September 10, 2017, 08:22:55 pm »
Holy shit that Blue Aeroplanes front man.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.