Author Topic: The Ultimate Music Draft - Live and Loud 1953 to Present Day - Discussion Thread  (Read 59022 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: The Ultimate Music Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2017, 02:13:30 pm »
This is what's so interesting about music. It's not like football where there are set parameters on what makes the GOATs. Although there are plenty of divides within that. Music is incredibly polarising. One man's all-time great can be another's shit on a shoe. I'm almost certain no-one will take my first pick, as they're not popular in a 'Queen' sense, but to me they are amongst the greatest bands ever.
Yeah totally agree mate, it's very very subjective. That's why the voting is going to so interesting.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2017, 02:17:43 pm »
I'm going to get into a lot of trouble for this, but I absolutely HATE Queen. If they're playing a room, I will walk straight out. The only time they have been acceptable to me is when 'Don't Stop Me Now'  was used in Shaun of the Dead.

Shame one of the best live bands I seen.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2017, 02:20:36 pm »
I have to be honest, those were not the two picks I thought would go first.

Absolutely loving Nick's pick. Came out of nowhere, but I've got the video he posted on in the background now. Embarrassed to admit I've never even seen this performance!

My list has excluded acts of absolutely huge status (eg, no Doors, Beatles, etc) but I've not gone too obscure. I would in theory want people to turn up to this festival  :)

Yeah, I'll definitely have some known bands too, but I don't expect to be winning this draft or making a completely cohesive line up. I'm most looking forward to sharing a few stories about how I started listening to each band and hopefully pointing others to some great music they might never have listened to.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:24:09 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2017, 02:24:48 pm »
Shame one of the best live bands I seen.

Believe me, I've tried listening to them countless times, but it's just not the kind of music I can truly enjoy. You'll probably get a good idea of why that is once I start making picks.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2017, 02:27:07 pm »
Believe me, I've tried listening to them countless times, but it's just not the kind of music I can truly enjoy. You'll probably get a good idea of why that is once I start making picks.

Each to their own mate really, it's such a subjective topic. I mean seriously it depends on the day to me. I can go from heavy bands to pop music to Tchaikovsky, it all really depends on how I wake up, do I have a headache, am I in a bad mood, am I hungry.

For me Queen is an iconic band that I would have given anything to see. I love mostly all of their songs, I think he was a fantastic entertainer, the crowd absolutely loved him, plus Brian May is one of the worlds best guitarists I have ever seen.

Plus Flashhhhhhhhhh AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:28:53 pm by Chakan »

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2017, 02:41:27 pm »
Each to their own mate really, it's such a subjective topic. I mean seriously it depends on the day to me. I can go from heavy bands to pop music to Tchaikovsky, it all really depends on how I wake up, do I have a headache, am I in a bad mood, am I hungry.

For me Queen is an iconic band that I would have given anything to see. I love mostly all of their songs, I think he was a fantastic entertainer, the crowd absolutely loved him, plus Brian May is one of the worlds best guitarists I have ever seen.

Plus Flashhhhhhhhhh AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh shit, you've got me there. I fucking love Flash Gordon. See, I don't seem to mind Queen on soundtracks. Wayne's World is another.

I think it stems from my childhood. I was very influenced by my Dad musically and he fucking hated them as well - more so than me. I can't exactly explain what it is that doesn't appeal. My first thought is that I find them too 'mainstream' and 'easy', but there are other bands that are comparatively easy on the ears who I like. Everything you've said is completely true. Iconic, great entertainer, musicianship etc. But I just can't get on board with it.

I'm sure most people would rather see Queen than who I'm planning to pick though, so I doubt my opinion will make a blind bit of difference!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2017, 02:48:52 pm »
Some good picks so far lads

Chak - I take back my earlier slant on your musical taste :)

Cant argue with Queen. And as for Nick's pick? wow he has shocked me (in a nice way)!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2017, 03:00:11 pm »
Andy wins. 8) No one alive better than Stevie....and no one in his lifetime is a better solo artist.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2017, 03:04:51 pm »
Andy wins. 8) No one alive better than Stevie....and no one in his lifetime is a better solo artist.
You know the score Dave!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2017, 03:22:26 pm »
You know the score Dave!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
" Living for the City," One person plays and sings on this....one!

And from what I think is his best LP, Songs in the Key of Life, a little known piece from his catalogue, Knocks Me Off My Feet.""

Stevie Wonder – lead and background vocals, acoustic piano, Fender Rhodes, drums, synth bass.

Simply incomparable.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rc0XEw4m-3w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rc0XEw4m-3w</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BI4sC5hidUg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BI4sC5hidUg</a>

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2017, 03:25:51 pm »
Don't worry Pete, normal service will be resume shortly I'm sure.

A lot of what I like is from my growing up era so wanted to get something decent on the board early from a different era. Long wait til my next pick now! And actually felt weird picking early, threw me a bit. In football drafts that usually makes an obvious pick but this was different.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2017, 03:27:33 pm »
Remember to PM after each pick fellas. I didn't get one just now.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2017, 03:29:03 pm »
Yeah sorry, I made my pick from the fruit and veg aisle hence no write up or pm (not to you).

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2017, 03:37:00 pm »
Springsteen had to turn up at some point. <prepares for the flack> I never got what all the fuss is about with this man. 
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2017, 03:44:47 pm »
Did I take a wrong turn and end up in the Dad rock draft?  :P

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2017, 03:45:38 pm »

;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2017, 03:47:32 pm »

;D Springsteen is good, but he's not someone I would drive a long way to see.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2017, 03:50:21 pm »

You took a wrong turn and you just kept going?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2017, 03:50:37 pm »

;D it's pretty mainstream so far! I'd probably be loitering at the back at any of these lineups so far looking for a funny cigarette  :-X :D

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2017, 04:07:45 pm »
I am going to be judging the lot of you.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2017, 04:16:20 pm »
Springsteen I would argue is the preeminent rock performer and raconteur of his generation. I'm looking forward to writing about him when the time comes.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2017, 04:31:55 pm »
Without any real thought into whom, I'd go to see these cats.

Clifton Chenier.

Fela Anikulapo Kuti.

Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra.

Earth Wind and Fire.

Stevie Wonder.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2017, 04:33:28 pm »
Without any real thought into whom, I'd go to see these cats.

Clifton Chenier.

Fela Anikulapo Kuti.

Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra.

Earth Wind and Fire.

Stevie Wonder.

Some excellent ones in there.

Dan, you are right with the Boss.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2017, 04:40:35 pm »
The Band and Stevie Wonder, two of my first choice picks down already, god damn you all. Lots of sound choices so far. Just out of interest, if I miss my two hour window cos it's at some crazy time in the morning (I live in the UK) is there some forms of penalisation? I'm pretty much new to all of this, so apologies for my lack of knowledge.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »
The Band and Stevie Wonder, two of my first choice picks down already, god damn you all. Lots of sound choices so far. Just out of interest, if I miss my two hour window cos it's at some crazy time in the morning (I live in the UK) is there some forms of penalisation? I'm pretty much new to all of this, so apologies for my lack of knowledge.

You just miss your pick and then when you come back online you make your pick straight away. If you know 100% that you are going to miss your pick, just PM someone who you know will be online and they can make the pick for you.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2017, 04:44:13 pm »
Is there going to be a break overnight? Just wondering, I do sleep occasionally  :D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2017, 04:44:17 pm »

You just miss your pick and then when you come back online you make your pick straight away. If you know 100% that you are going to miss your pick, just PM someone who you know will be online and they can make the pick for you.

Basically, just PM Chakan, he's always online.

Is there going to be a break overnight? Just wondering, I do sleep occasionally  :D

Yeah, usually from 10.00/11.00pm to 9.00am
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »
Basically, just PM Chakan, he's always online.

Yeah, usually from 10.00/11.00pm to 9.00am

True that.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2017, 04:51:19 pm »

If you miss a pick then you just catch up when you're next online. No penalties. Although continually making everyone wait definitely won't make you popular.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2017, 04:54:44 pm »
I'm going to get into a lot of trouble for this, but I absolutely HATE Queen. If they're playing a room, I will walk straight out. The only time they have been acceptable to me is when 'Don't Stop Me Now'  was used in Shaun of the Dead.

I do see what you mean, though I don't mind them and some of their songs are pretty good though I wouldn't really listen to them off of my own accord. Though I'm not into that kind of thing, Freddie Mercury is one of the best live performers in history, which is part of the draft.

Doesn't bode well for me as most of my favourite artists are more to do with their albums than their live performances.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2017, 04:57:22 pm »
" Living for the City," One person plays and sings on this....one!

And from what I think is his best LP, Songs in the Key of Life, a little known piece from his catalogue, Knocks Me Off My Feet.""

Stevie Wonder – lead and background vocals, acoustic piano, Fender Rhodes, drums, synth bass.

Simply incomparable.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rc0XEw4m-3w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rc0XEw4m-3w</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BI4sC5hidUg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BI4sC5hidUg</a>

The greatest ever for me too Dave. Love those two bonafide classics you've put up. Funnily enough Coolio's "Gangstas Paradise" was the first song I ever liked from when I was a child about 8 years old and then when I found out they sampled Stevie it blew my fucking mind.

Love the cat.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2017, 04:58:17 pm »
I can't ever forgive Stevie Wonder for teaming up with Blue.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2017, 05:00:23 pm »

Doesn't bode well for me as most of my favourite artists are more to do with their albums than their live performances.

I wouldn't worry about that honestly, some bands are really not great live, but their music by itself is great. I do like Janes Addiction, I like a lot of their songs and saw them live in 2009 I think, they were shocking, like really really bad. I wouldn't recommend a live concert of theirs.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2017, 05:08:25 pm »
I wouldn't worry about that honestly, some bands are really not great live, but their music by itself is great. I do like Janes Addiction, I like a lot of their songs and saw them live in 2009 I think, they were shocking, like really really bad. I wouldn't recommend a live concert of theirs.
I saw Janes Addiction in Manchester 1991, they were brilliant...boss gig.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2017, 05:10:15 pm »
The greatest ever for me too Dave. Love those two bonafide classics you've put up. Funnily enough Coolio's "Gangstas Paradise" was the first song I ever liked from when I was a child about 8 years old and then when I found out they sampled Stevie it blew my fucking mind.

Love the cat.
I'm old enough to have bought both those LP's when they came out.  ;D

I remember putting on As at a party and someone saying, "oh the George Michael song." I hate people. ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2017, 05:10:35 pm »
I saw Janes Addiction in Manchester 1991, they were brilliant...boss gig.

See there again it's the other inconsistency of music, sometimes a band can be brilliant sometimes they can be utter shit.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2017, 05:11:51 pm »

Yeah, though it's getting that balance I suppose.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »
If you miss a pick then you just catch up when you're next online. No penalties. Although continually making everyone wait definitely won't make you popular.

Cheers mate. I'll try not to be tardy with my picks. I occasionally keep odd hours depending on work, but I may not be awake at 4am! Tend to leave my computer on with a RAWK tab open most of the time, so I may not necessarily be available even if it says I'm online. Will try not to make myself too unpopular though, that would never do!

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2017, 05:12:56 pm »
See there again it's the other inconsistency of music, sometimes a band can be brilliant sometimes they can be utter shit.
I don't know. I've seen the Slits several times, each time worse than the other. ;D

White people shouldn't "play" reggae.

The J A gig had pole dancers on the stage, it was cool....and seeing as there was a smack problem in the band at the time, they were really tight and sounded great.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2017, 05:16:50 pm »
Cheers mate. I'll try not to be tardy with my picks. I occasionally keep odd hours depending on work, but I may not be awake at 4am! Tend to leave my computer on with a RAWK tab open most of the time, so I may not necessarily be available even if it says I'm online. Will try not to make myself too unpopular though, that would never do!

Haha well you don't need to worry between the hours of 11pm and 9am UK time. Those are the off hours, so no-one can skip you if your turn is then and you're not online. We've all got to sleep some time! Though obviously if you are online you're welcome to pick.