Author Topic: The Ultimate Music Draft - Live and Loud 1953 to Present Day - Discussion Thread  (Read 59556 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Ever wanted to see The Beatles and Nirvana together, Madonna and Vera Lynn, The Sex Pistols and Miles Davis, Justin Bieber and Elvis. This is your draft.

Each drafter will be tasked with creating their own ultimate festival main stage line-up, picking solo artists or bands from 1920 to present day. Any genre, living or dead. At least one female must feature somewhere.

At the end we will all vote on which stage we would most want to attend.

Rules:

- 8 bands or solo artists each.
- Must be a female somewhere in one of your picks (hair metalers don't count).
- You must pick an artist or band from at least 4 different decades between 1920 and the present day.
- If a band has had multiple incarnations and member changes, please specify which version/era you're picking. For example, Floyd 67 vs Floyd 80. No other variants on that bands line-up can then be picked.
- No made up or parody bands - i.e. Spinal Tap.
- Where possible, please post a video or link to some live footage or a great track by your pick. It gives the draft a bit of added life.
- At the end of drafting, you must nominate a headline act and choose the order in which your bands/artists will appear on stage.

Signed up so far -

Me
Hazell
Sheer Magnetism
Lastrador
Tubby
Lfsea
Nick (needs a partner in crime)
Chakan
KingLuis
Buck Pete
AndyMuller
ToneLa
Titi
noname
Djozer
Gregorio
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:15:31 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Ultimate Music Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2017, 06:00:46 pm »
Greetings. Wonder if it's first worth having a cut off date for picks otherwise there'd be nothing stopping you picking Mozart or Franciscan Monks.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2017, 07:56:15 pm »
Greetings. Wonder if it's first worth having a cut off date for picks otherwise there'd be nothing stopping you picking Mozart or Franciscan Monks.

That's a good point, actually. Didn't think of that! Maybe 1940s to present day?

We could also make it so everybody has to have a musician/band from at least 4 different eras/decades.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2017, 08:48:27 pm »
A neat time that probably works for everyone is 1954 onwards. That was the year Leo Fender released his First Stratocaster and modern pop rock was kind of born.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #4 on: September 8, 2017, 01:24:18 am »
We could also make it so everybody has to have a musician/band from at least 4 different eras/decades.
Right... ::)

So, I pm'd four of the biggest music buffs who post regularly on the music threads, inviting them to the draft and none replied. What's the next step to scout some drafters?

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: September 8, 2017, 11:09:40 am »
If we're going to do this people should specify which time the band is from. There's a big difference between, say, mid-60's and early 70's Rolling Stones.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 8, 2017, 12:26:32 pm »
oooh can I play please

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 8, 2017, 12:46:05 pm »
If we're going to do this people should specify which time the band is from. There's a big difference between, say, mid-60's and early 70's Rolling Stones.

I agree with you, but it simply won't work in this instance. One of my favourite bands is Soundgarden, and I would choose the BadMotorFinger period as their best, but unless you have a strong knowledge of their music, it's just going to be totally lost on most people that will be involved in the draft and will be voting on it.

Voting on their greatest hits and their general regard as a live band is a far easier way to find out how good a band was in the general scheme of things I think.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8 on: September 8, 2017, 01:26:13 pm »
oooh can I play please

Finally, someone wants to join  :D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: September 8, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »
Right... ::)

So, I pm'd four of the biggest music buffs who post regularly on the music threads, inviting them to the draft and none replied. What's the next step to scout some drafters?

Not sure what you're implying? Personally, I'd rather just pick everyone I want to from any era I want, but there's lots of talk of people wanting more diverse picks.

I PMed some guys as well and I posted in one of the music threads. I could perhaps ask a mod to let us put a one-off call out thread in media & arts.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10 on: September 8, 2017, 03:09:30 pm »
Titi's just given me permission to make a sign up thread in media & arts. If that doesn't get a few more people involved then nothing will.

By the way, what do people think about the number of picks we should get each? I was thinking 6 would be pretty nice.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 8, 2017, 03:15:56 pm »
Is this the thread to join? If so, count me in.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #12 on: September 8, 2017, 03:21:23 pm »
I'd like to inflict my taste on others please  :)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: September 8, 2017, 03:24:01 pm »
Is this the thread to join? If so, count me in.
I'd like to inflict my taste on others please  :)

:thumbup

Now we're.... rollin' rollin' rollin 

Sorry  :P  the more music puns in here the better!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #14 on: September 8, 2017, 03:26:10 pm »
Fucking it I'm in. My line up will probably end up offending someone but why would I give a fuck about that now...

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 8, 2017, 03:27:04 pm »
How about splitting the Musical genres Betty?

6 picks each from 6 different Genres

Someone may have 6 awesome rock bands but if someone (a weirdo :)) doesn't like Rock music, then they will obviously get no votes.

edit: Just to add we can have more than 6 genres to choose from. We can just have one band from each genre.  Obviously which genre a band falls into is not always clear cut so you as draft boss would have to moderate this.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 03:30:00 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 8, 2017, 03:30:08 pm »
Can't wait to see all yours shit tastes in music finally be revealed.  :D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 8, 2017, 03:32:50 pm »
Can't wait to see all yours shit tastes in music finally be revealed.  :D

Chakan's will be interesting if his taste in films is anything to go by.

Expect, Bieber, The Bay City Rollers and Black Lace.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #18 on: September 8, 2017, 03:33:00 pm »
Not sure what you're implying? Personally, I'd rather just pick everyone I want to from any era I want, but there's lots of talk of people wanting more diverse picks.

I PMed some guys as well and I posted in one of the music threads. I could perhaps ask a mod to let us put a one-off call out thread in media & arts.
Only joking mate. I had proposed a similar rule that you thought was too restrictive.  ::)

Yeah, that would be cool. I had tought of posting on the 2017 music thread, which is where all the music nerds hang around, but remember someone getting banned for doing something similar, so I went the creepy way and messaged four guys I've never spoken with before. It seems like I vastly overestimated their nerdiness though  ;D
« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 03:35:12 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #19 on: September 8, 2017, 03:37:22 pm »
Chakan's will be interesting if his taste in films is anything to go by.

Expect, Bieber, The Bay City Rollers and Black Lace.

Beiber definitely!! How can you not have an ultimate music draft without Bieber?

Or as I like to call him the Biebster.

Rebecca Black is my 2nd pick btw. You can't have her.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 8, 2017, 03:37:44 pm »
Bollocks to this "one from each genre" nonsense.

Besides genre being hugely subjective except for very narrow ranged artists/bands I only like certain types of music so most of my picks will come from one or two genres.

What box would Bjork go in? ::)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 8, 2017, 03:40:08 pm »

A sealed one, preferably at the bottom of the ocean :P

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 8, 2017, 03:40:16 pm »

A wooden one with any luck

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23 on: September 8, 2017, 03:42:33 pm »
Fucking it I'm in. My line up will probably end up offending someone but why would I give a fuck about that now...

No one can resist the power of drafting.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-NMph943tsw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-NMph943tsw</a>

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 8, 2017, 03:45:24 pm »
A wooden one with any luck
Ha ha a pair of fucking whoppers born of the same cloth lol ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #25 on: September 8, 2017, 03:46:07 pm »
Agree with Titi, think the genre restriction is calling for trouble. Would rather have an era or decade restriction like Betty (me first) proposed.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 8, 2017, 03:47:52 pm »
AWWYC would of been perfect for this draft.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 8, 2017, 03:47:57 pm »
I already have my draft picked ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #28 on: September 8, 2017, 03:47:59 pm »

I can see draft opinions are going to vary vastly here  ;D

AWWYC would of been perfect for this draft.

If anything is going to bring him back from the RAWK wilderness then this is the draft.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 8, 2017, 03:50:20 pm »

Agreed. For example Pink Floyd '67 and Pink Floyd '80's are effectively different bands.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 8, 2017, 03:51:56 pm »
I can see draft opinions are going to vary vastly here  ;D

I've listened to a few albums, I like 1 song, just never grew on me.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #31 on: September 8, 2017, 03:53:37 pm »
Before 1940 music some of the greatest names in music history....Patton, Johnson, Smith, Ledbetter, Jefferson passed away...that's just off the top of my head....there was music that is as important, if not more so than most that came after the cut off date.

T o add to how important some of the above were...Patton is the father of delta Blues...Delta Blues and Ragtime together is where Jazz originates in New Orleans. Patton died in 1934. He's still an influence today.

« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 03:56:33 pm by dave 5516 »
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: September 8, 2017, 03:54:50 pm »
How about splitting the Musical genres Betty?

6 picks each from 6 different Genres

Someone may have 6 awesome rock bands but if someone (a weirdo :)) doesn't like Rock music, then they will obviously get no votes.

edit: Just to add we can have more than 6 genres to choose from. We can just have one band from each genre.  Obviously which genre a band falls into is not always clear cut so you as draft boss would have to moderate this.

I think as others have said. Genres could get very messy. I can think of several artists who have spanned at least 4 genres in their careers. I really don't want to have to be the one to tell people they can't pick xxxxx

Having some restrictions are a good idea though.

Only joking mate. I had proposed a similar rule that you thought was too restrictive.  ::)

Haha I get you. I just thought you meant having EVERY decade represented, which I think would be too restrictive. 4 decades seems like a nice balance. That gives everyone 2 free picks to do what they want with.

Having said that, what happens with musicians who's careers are spread across several decades?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 8, 2017, 03:55:29 pm »
How was it seeing them Live grandad?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 8, 2017, 03:57:22 pm »
I could go for it
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #35 on: September 8, 2017, 03:57:51 pm »
How was it seeing them Live grandad?
If only...I'd give your life to have seen legends such as those above. ;D  Fuckin kind of me, I know. :P

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #36 on: September 8, 2017, 03:58:27 pm »
Before 1940 music some of the greatest names in music history....Patton, Johnson, Smith, Ledbetter, Jefferson passed away...that's just off the top of my head....there was music that is as important, if not more so than most that came after the cut off date.

Since this is about creating a main stage festival line-up of sorts. I don't think it's fair to include musicians who there is very little (if any) live footage of.

Great list of musicians though  :thumbup

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #37 on: September 8, 2017, 04:00:18 pm »
Since this is about creating a main stage festival line-up of sorts. I don't think it's fair to include musicians who there is very little (if any) live footage of.

If there ain't blues, I ain't coming...stupid gigs. ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 8, 2017, 04:02:07 pm »

Let him pick who he fucking wants...no one will know or care who they are...he will go down like a sack of shit ;D ;D ;D

Oh, Hi Dave...

« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 04:03:48 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #39 on: September 8, 2017, 04:04:37 pm »
Agreed. For example Pink Floyd '67 and Pink Floyd '80's are effectively different bands.

This is also a very good point.

Are you in, mate?

If there ain't blues, I ain't coming...stupid gigs. ;D

I think maybe the dates could be moved back a little. At the moment we're endangering quite a few legends of jazz.