Author Topic: Tibet protest v LFC doing deal with Chinese Water Company (*)  (Read 13041 times)

Online number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Tibet protest v LFC doing deal with Chinese Water Company (*)
« on: August 10, 2017, 02:21:38 pm »
It looks like we have signed a rather dodgy deal with a Chinese water company. I know the sleeve patches are naff but this looks to be of a higher order of poor judgement.

Tibetans to protest Liverpool FC’s Tibet Water deal on its EPL opening match

DHARAMSHALA, August 10: To raise awareness on Tibet’s water resources exploited by China and to urge the Liverpool Football Club not to fall into Chinese trap, the members of Tibetan Community in Britain will stage an awareness campaign at the club’s opening match of the English Premier League against Watford FC at Vicarage Road on August 12.

The members plan to distribute water bottles and leaflets to protest the club’s partnership with Tibet Water Resources Ltd (TWRL), a Chinese company known for commercially exploiting Tibet’s water resource. They will also urge the fans and players not to ‘fall into China's trap of exploiting Tibet’s resources’.

“The match is yet to begin and Liverpool has already conceded an own goal by dealing with a Chinese commercial company that exploits Tibet’s resources. The club must understand the sufferings and sentiments of Tibetan people. Partnering with TWRL is like endorsing the occupation of Tibet and agreeing with treatment of Tibetans by Chinese regime,” said Pema Lobsang, Chairman of Tibetan Community in Britain.

Reminding Liverpool FC, one of the biggest clubs in England and the world, of how China occupied Tibet by force and how Tibetans inside Tibet are facing the worst human rights abuse, the members of the community urged the club ‘not to trade human rights for commercial gain’ and to stop befriending blood-stained hands of Chinese companies.

The 18 times English Champions on July 25 announced the partnership declaring TWRL as their official regional water partner in China. The deal opens doorways for the company to access the club’s marketing and promotional rights, players and club legends as well.

According to the press release by Free Tibet, a London-based Tibet advocacy group, they have already received messages by Liverpool fans who are concerned that their football club is entering into such an unethical and unwise partnership.

The organization in its statement on July 27 said, “We urge Liverpool’s commercial department to see the damage that this deal could cause to Tibetans, and the risks it poses to the club’s reputation, and terminate this agreement
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:52:46 pm by Creepy & Kooky 24/7 »

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
Re: Tibet protest
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:30:46 pm »
Fuck em off and get another, why this isn't looked into (or ignored by Americans) is poor. Easily solved if the club wish.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:57:12 pm by Anfield89 »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:38:53 pm »
Disappointing, looks like our commercial arm didn't do homework before brokering this deal.

I won't be touching the product, obviously, but I hope our club reconsiders this link.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:44:54 pm »
More short sightedness from the club, not one bit surprising.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:47:17 pm »
You do know that most of our sponsors probably aren't squeaky clean, right? Not that I'm opposed to these protests, the company are obviously an immoral, corrupt lot, but this isn't new in football, sport or any business in general.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 06:59:30 pm »
All the more reason to fight back.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:27:52 pm »
You do know that most of our sponsors probably aren't squeaky clean, right? Not that I'm opposed to these protests, the company are obviously an immoral, corrupt lot, but this isn't new in football, sport or any business in general.

Surprise surprise

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:10 pm »
Surprise surprise

What is the surprise? sms stating most of our sponsors aren't squeaky clean? He's clearly stated he isn't opposed to the protests. Do you see protests against Standard Chartered, BetVictor, Dunkin Donuts or Falken Tyres?

Do you think Samsung, Chevrolet, Etihad or Fly Emirates are all squeaky clean companies?

Or is it simply because sms isn't wanting to jump on your bandwagon that everything FSG do is a big fuck you to Liverpool fans?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 07:48:44 pm »
What is the surprise? sms stating most of our sponsors aren't squeaky clean? He's clearly stated he isn't opposed to the protests. Do you see protests against Standard Chartered, BetVictor, Dunkin Donuts or Falken Tyres?

Do you think Samsung, Chevrolet, Etihad or Fly Emirates are all squeaky clean companies?

Or is it simply because sms isn't wanting to jump on your bandwagon that everything FSG do is a big fuck you to Liverpool fans?

It's not my bandwagon mate

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 07:50:10 pm »
It's not my bandwagon mate

There were a few questions in there too
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SA800

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:58 pm »
Tibet remains feudal and theocratic. And China is not the problem

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 07:57:37 pm »
There were a few questions in there too

I haven't seen threads about protests against standard chartered, BetVictor, Dunkin donuts or falken tyres no? Is there any?

This isn't about FSG towards Liverpool fans this is about the impact our club could have and they should have some morals about it.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 08:01:01 pm »
It is extremely naive to think that anything Tibet related would not be controversial in the UK. I doubt that the sum of money concerned would outweigh the probable PR backlash. Does no one sanity check these deals?

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 08:20:23 pm »
Tibet remains feudal and theocratic. And China is not the problem

Tibet may well be feudal and theocratic, that's not an excuse for invasion and ethnic cleansing.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Art of Lies

• The anime Effes. RAWK never forgets the tentacles.
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 10:36:32 pm »

I also not opposed to protests in general and agree that business in general involves immorality and corruption but I am not aware of any specific allegations of corruption against this company and the opposition to them seems to be based purely on the fact that they operate in Tibet and the Tibetan people wish for autonomy.

It is also worth looking at the history of Tibet if one is to talk of human rights, when the communist Chinese invaded in the 1950's Tibet was still a feudal society where slavery was still practised and horrific human rights abuses were common, not limited to the mutilation of people accused of crimes. Prior to the communist revolution while China itself was a deeply undemocratic feudal society Tibet was a semi-autonomous protectorate of China. It is in this context that the Chinese revolution was even possible and the invasion of Tibet occurred.

And it is not as if this is only ancient history, the Tibetan government in exile didn't hold it's first democratic election until the beginning of this century, so in the 21st century the Tibetan government was still controlled by the Dalai Lama, a child chosen to become a monk/king based upon the idea that he is the reincarnation of the previous monk/king. The current Dalai Lama only gave up all his remaining political powers in 2011.

I would obviously prefer our sponsors to be squeaky clean but I would also like us to start a little closer to home, perhaps with the betting company based in a UK tax haven that "graces" our training kit, and puts me off buying it because that is something I do not want to be seen to be representing, however much I like the kit designs.
'If I had known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.'

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 10:52:18 pm »
It is extremely naive to think that anything Tibet related would not be controversial in the UK. I doubt that the sum of money concerned would outweigh the probable PR backlash. Does no one sanity check these deals?

Thought the same thing when it was announced. China is in Tibet for their water. And we are promoting that?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 11:56:46 pm »
Kind of negates the point of doing these tours of Hong Kong, China etc if we're then going to take a massive shit over there immediately afterwards.

Well I guess we'd always needed an official regional water partner in China / Tibet.

Not sure how we survived so long without one to be honest.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:09 am »
Tibet is part of China let's be real.
The West is finished, China is the future

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 02:15:10 am »
Tibet is part of China let's be real.

Bull.....if China had their way, the whole of South East Asia would be China.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline invader_gir

• Anny Roader
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 03:06:53 am »
So if we cancel this deal and get banned in China, that would be a bigger PR hit. They banned many artists because of such stuffs.

Offline oppai daisuki

• Main Stander
  • We have to change from doubters to believers. Now.
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 04:44:44 am »
This was a head scratcher for me when it was announced. Seems like somebody didn't do their homework.

The previous posters are right. China has tremendous financial muscle and are beginning to flex it. They are claiming territory in the seas around South East Asia that isn't remotely near China.

We're on a financial tightrope here. If we terminate prematurely, the Chinese as a nation might take offense and we'd shut off the entire Chinese market which we can't afford to do. They're an odd lot. Very warm and friendly as individuals, but also very patriotic and any slights against the Motherland and you'll have a horde baying for blood.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 04:57:10 am »
With that being true about China and it's own desire for soft imperialism  , it's also true that for all practical purposes Tibet is part of China.

As far as I know there isn't a single country that recognises Tibet as independent country and not as part of China unfortunately.Not even India where Dalai Lama resides and Tibetian government in exile exists .

So it's a bit pointless criticizing the club for engaging with a company that uses Tibetian resources  .Not when almost every country accepts it part of China .

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 04:59:08 am »

The moral dimension notwithstanding, Tibet is in fact legally a part of China right now. That's not a normative statement. It's a positive statement. There's neither speculation, nor commentary on China's ambitions, which no doubt exist. 

So as far as I can see, I don't see the problem with the club getting a Chinese sponsor, which happens to be using Tibetan water.

It goes back to the question around how morally squeaky clean you want your sponsors to be. It's treacherous territory, because if you want to get sponsors with a lot of money, it's very, very difficult not to be hypocritical.

Which is why sponsorship is something I generally steer clear of. We could be similarly miffed about New Balance issuing a statement supporting Trump, and some of us were, but it's not a reason to get upset that the club is being 'short-sighted'.

That isn't to say there isn't a line we need to be wary of. There is, but I don't think it's here.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:08:31 am by Redcap »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 07:17:00 am »
I've never in my life heard anyone defend China's annexation of Tibet before.

A fuckup off a deal, but as always when dealing with China, money talks and human rights are not mentioned.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 08:23:24 am »

No, just the South China sea.

Tibet belongs to China, don't see any problem here.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 10:16:39 am »
No, just the South China sea.

Tibet belongs to China, don't see any problem here.

You are not in the UK. Tibet remains contentious here, despite the UK government contraversially recognising Chinese sovereignty in 2008.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/tibet/3385803/UK-recognises-Chinas-direct-rule-over-Tibet.html

In the U.K. Tibet should have been an obvious red flag.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 11:11:28 am »
I know what'll solve all this, move the commercial office back to Liverpool!

Offline ArthurDent

• Knows where his towel is!
  • Kopite
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 11:28:25 am »
So as far as I can see, I don't see the problem with the club getting a Chinese sponsor, which happens to be using Tibetan water.
It would be similar to being sponsored by Russian gas, if the gas was sourced from Crimea. Basicalyl as a club we should aim to do things as morally as possible.
"Stop thinking about money. Only think about football." Jürgen Klopp 9th Oct 2015.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2017, 11:32:36 am »
How can we possibly have a view on this company's activities?  We know nothing about them.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 11:46:53 am »
Wouldn't have touched this outfit myself but as has already been said there are few sponsors that are squeaky clean. Standard Chartered are a bank after all. That said, I know nothing about this company so I would be a tad hypocritical to give an opinion one way or another.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 11:54:21 am »
If we want to talk about morality with our sponsors maybe we should get rid of the biggest one in Standard Chartered then.  All these major companies have done dodgy things to get where they are.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 11:55:00 am »
How can we possibly have a view on this company's activities?  We know nothing about them.

Because Free Tibet have let us know something about them?
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 12:01:28 pm »
If we want to talk about morality with our sponsors maybe we should get rid of the biggest one in Standard Chartered then.  All these major companies have done dodgy things to get where they are.

We're the Greatest Football Family in the World.  We should be supporting all our Partners.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 12:03:01 pm »
Because Free Tibet have let us know something about them?

The problem with this stance is that most Chinese companies tend to have links with their questionable government. If we were to take a moral stance on this particular company surely it would be hypocritical to ever enter the market of Chinese sponsorship again? It's worth remembering that the Chinese market is arguably the most commercially lucrative in the world and incredibly beneficial to many football clubs. I don't particularly like it but that is the price of being competitive these days. In reality, there is little difference between courting a Tibet water company and other Chinese investment. The former is just more controversial purely because of the name.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 12:12:09 pm »
The problem with this stance is that most Chinese companies tend to have links with their questionable government. If we were to take a moral stance on this particular company surely it would be hypocritical to ever enter the market of Chinese sponsorship again? It's worth remembering that the Chinese market is arguably the most commercially lucrative in the world and incredibly beneficial to many football clubs. I don't particularly like it but that is the price of being competitive these days. In reality, there is little difference between courting a Tibet water company and other Chinese investment. The former is just more controversial purely because of the name.

You're right.  We need to push ourselves in China or we'll lose Coutinho.  We couldn't possibly compete without China's backing.  We need even more Chinese sponsorship.

Fuck Tibet.  Tibet Water Resources Ltd are part of the Family now and we need to support them.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 12:13:28 pm »
You're right.  We need to push ourselves in China or we'll lose Coutinho.  We couldn't possibly compete without China's backing.  We need even more Chinese sponsorship.

Fuck Tibet.  Tibet Water Resources Ltd are part of the Family now and we need to support them.

Did I suggest any of that?

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 12:21:05 pm »
Did I suggest any of that?

No,

That was my opinion.  Up the Family!

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »
Ugh, human rights trampled for cash.

Free Northern Ireland

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #39 on: October 6, 2017, 12:11:30 am »
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'