Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 182931 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Atheism
« Reply #1360 on: April 3, 2018, 06:37:46 pm »
I would say that I am a very,very strong 7.

Just cannot imagine a so called all seeing and all knowing creator of everything that has gotten so many things wrong.

Even the Female of the species was a 2nd thought ffs.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1361 on: April 3, 2018, 06:45:49 pm »
God, as defined in religion?  I'm a 6.9-7 on that one. 

God, as in an entity that operates at a supernatural level that we don't currently understand, applying some purpose to its interventions?  5.

I don't understand that. If you believe in God (or Gods) that operate supernaturally they are no different to those defined in religion. What's the distinction in your opinion?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1362 on: April 3, 2018, 10:34:16 pm »
I don't understand that. If you believe in God (or Gods) that operate supernaturally they are no different to those defined in religion. What's the distinction in your opinion?

I was going to ask what the elevated levels of evidence are for 5.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1363 on: April 3, 2018, 10:38:00 pm »
I would say that I am a very,very strong 7.

7 is "100% certain". Adding very, very strong to that seems a bit dramatic. Trumpesque, even.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1364 on: April 3, 2018, 11:57:41 pm »
Somewhere at the high end of between 6 and 7 for me.  There are those (myself included) that would say that, because you ultimately cannot disprove the existence of God then it must remain a possibility, no matter how piss-small the actual chance of it is.  So, for me, more or less absolutely nothing shows me the existence of God, but I remain open to the possibility simply for the fact it technically is a 'chance'.  But I'm not living my life in fear of them regardless.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #1365 on: April 4, 2018, 12:45:21 am »
I am a 7. Does that mean there is no God or that I will be proven wrong? No. But going strictly by the description "I am 100% sure that there is no God," I am a 7.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: April 4, 2018, 01:00:40 am »
That’s not what that article says at all.

I didn't say that's what the article said. I linked it as a modern day example of dangerous superstitious beliefs.  That it was news on the weekend where civil society celebrate a human sacrafice, was ironic.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1367 on: April 4, 2018, 01:12:23 am »
Tepid's posted link would suggest that Hawkins was an atheist. I questioned it as I had watched a video on you tube where he woldn't rule out a creator. However this was quite an old video so looks like he's changed his mind on this.

I would say evolution dispels gods creation of Humans, rather than the Universe. 

I cant put a link in as Im in work, however Dawkins discusses the fact that no one can be an atheist in the truest sense as you can prove something doesn't exist.

What science has uncovered about the origins of the universe and about the evolution of species completely contradicts the biblical creationist account. Nothing of how the creationist account describes it's 7 days of creation has any similarity to what science has uncovered.  Furthermore, while we don't know what happened at the point of creation with certainty, the creationist account made a number of fundamental cosmological errors which we know with certainty are wrong.

If there is a god behind the creation of the universe, it is absolutely not the God of the bible.  It's a catch 22:  If they insist on the bible being the literal account of creation, then science shows them to be wrong; if they concede that creationism is mythical they concede the bible isn't infallible and throws every part of it into doubt.  The reasonable conclusion is that the biblical God of Christianity is, almost certainly, a fabrication. 

I'm a 7 on the Abrahamic God but a 6 on deities in general. Having studied the bible and science I feel 100% sure the God of the bible doesn't exist.  But that doesn't mean I can conclude 100% that there are no gods.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2018, 01:18:09 am by thejbs »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1368 on: April 4, 2018, 01:29:07 am »
7 is "100% certain". Adding very, very strong to that seems a bit dramatic. Trumpesque, even.

Drumpf would never give his reason.

The part that you left out of the quote.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1369 on: April 4, 2018, 01:38:29 am »

Personally I'd put myself at 3 on that scale in terms of believing that there is 'something else' going on that is beyond our comprehension and perhaps always will be. I don't know whether I would call it 'God' as in a bearded guy up in the sky but I strongly believe in the limitation of our knowledge and then when I think 'beyond' that knowledge my inclination/faith is that the universe and our place within it has some higher purpose/meaning than something that is purely 'dust to dust'.

In terms of the gods of our established religions I would go for 7. The whole point of what I believe is essentially that 'God' is beyond our understanding and so from that I'd conclude that any human representation of God must by default be inadequate.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: April 4, 2018, 03:08:55 pm »
Personally I'd put myself at 3 on that scale in terms of believing that there is 'something else' going on that is beyond our comprehension and perhaps always will be. I don't know whether I would call it 'God' as in a bearded guy up in the sky but I strongly believe in the limitation of our knowledge and then when I think 'beyond' that knowledge my inclination/faith is that the universe and our place within it has some higher purpose/meaning than something that is purely 'dust to dust'.

In terms of the gods of our established religions I would go for 7. The whole point of what I believe is essentially that 'God' is beyond our understanding and so from that I'd conclude that any human representation of God must by default be inadequate.

Why would you believe in something that is beyond understanding and comprehension ?  Surely you could believe in anything on this basis.

I am a fan of Dawkins, but putting an agnostic position on a scale that otherwise addresses belief is a bad mistake.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1371 on: April 4, 2018, 03:10:41 pm »
Why would you believe in something that is beyond understanding and comprehension ?  Surely you could believe in anything on this basis.

I am a fan of Dawkins, but putting an agnostic position on a scale that otherwise addresses belief is a bad mistake.

Surely you can only believe in something that is beyond comprehension?

Still, to believe something as being beyond human comprehension seems to be setting our sights pretty low to me...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1372 on: April 4, 2018, 03:25:27 pm »
Surely you can only believe in something that is beyond comprehension?

No not at all.  Belief is just being convinced that something is true or likely true. This can be with or without comprehension. Comprehension should be vital to forming a belief, or as I said above you are then open to believing anything, including contradictory things.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1373 on: April 4, 2018, 03:30:05 pm »
No not at all.  Belief is just being convinced that something is true or likely true. This can be with or without comprehension. Comprehension should be vital to forming a belief, or as I said above you are then open to believing anything, including contradictory things.
Sorry, I should explain better.  If something were truely to be beyond comprehension. (Which is of course silly) then only belief could be used to explain it.

Dies that make more sense?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline electricghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: April 4, 2018, 03:54:27 pm »
Sorry, I should explain better.  If something were truely to be beyond comprehension. (Which is of course silly) then only belief could be used to explain it.

Dies that make more sense?

I think I follow what you mean, I would use the word faith there rather than belief. Faith is believe without evidence, or counter the evidence.
― Steven Weinberg

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: April 4, 2018, 03:58:24 pm »
I think I follow what you mean, I would use the word faith there rather than belief. Faith is believe without evidence, or counter the evidence.
Yes, I agree
W

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1376 on: April 4, 2018, 04:15:15 pm »
From last year, but Stephen Fry articulates his attitude to 'god' very well

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/stephen-fry-blasphemy-god-ireland-confronted-by-met-a7722191.html

That some sad prick sought to have him prosecuted for blasphemy says just as much.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: April 4, 2018, 04:34:53 pm »

If there is a supernatural entity, I don't think that it cares any more for humans than it does for the millions of other living and non-living species.  Indeed, it may not care at all.  So, for me, the God articulated in religion is absurd.  I can, however, conceive of (though it is very unlikely) something that exists on a level we don't understand that is doing things for reasons that have nothing to do with us or our daily behaviour/thoughts/actions.  We could all be part of a great transformation of energy from one form to another, or we could all be ants in a giant world of planets controlled by something.  It is all very unlikely (i.e. 5-6 on the scale), but it is slightly more conceivable to me than what religion describes as God.

Not sure if that makes sense.  My mind is on the game, so only half talking sense right now!  :)
« Last Edit: April 6, 2018, 06:17:45 pm by beardsley4ever »

Offline The Real Rasta

• Leave Ronaldo alone!!!!!
  • Kopite
« Reply #1378 on: April 4, 2018, 05:29:18 pm »
I didn't say that's what the article said. I linked it as a modern day example of dangerous superstitious beliefs.  That it was news on the weekend where civil society celebrate a human sacrafice, was ironic.
Yes apologies mate misread what you said.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1379 on: April 5, 2018, 08:32:26 pm »
Yes apologies mate misread what you said.

No sweat! I probably could've been more clear.  :thumbup

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1380 on: April 8, 2018, 02:51:51 am »
What science has uncovered about the origins of the universe and about the evolution of species completely contradicts the biblical creationist account. Nothing of how the creationist account describes it's 7 days of creation has any similarity to what science has uncovered.  Furthermore, while we don't know what happened at the point of creation with certainty, the creationist account made a number of fundamental cosmological errors which we know with certainty are wrong.

If there is a god behind the creation of the universe, it is absolutely not the God of the bible.  It's a catch 22:  If they insist on the bible being the literal account of creation, then science shows them to be wrong; if they concede that creationism is mythical they concede the bible isn't infallible and throws every part of it into doubt.  The reasonable conclusion is that the biblical God of Christianity is, almost certainly, a fabrication. 

I'm a 7 on the Abrahamic God but a 6 on deities in general. Having studied the bible and science I feel 100% sure the God of the bible doesn't exist.  But that doesn't mean I can conclude 100% that there are no gods.

Yes, thats pretty much what i am saying
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #1381 on: April 8, 2018, 06:57:21 am »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1383 on: April 18, 2018, 12:22:04 pm »
That's technically true but not very helpful. Nobody can be 100% sure there isn't a god but you can't be 100% sure it's not me, either.

Dawkins had a scale as follows:

He described himself as a 6.9. I'd add a few 9s to that.

I would say I was a 5, never been religious and I don't think any deity that exists will be exactly like any found in human religions, but at the same time I don't know whether one exists or not. Maybe one day we'll know for sure.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #1385 on: April 18, 2018, 03:24:29 pm »
I'd have to go for 6.9 edging onto 7. There's always a tiny chance that we've got it all wrong and the whole thing is a vast cosmic joke, but it's pretty unlikely.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: April 18, 2018, 03:41:40 pm »
I'm an eight on that scale
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1387 on: April 18, 2018, 04:54:52 pm »
6-point-something for me

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1388 on: April 19, 2018, 10:03:01 am »
6.66 for me.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1389 on: April 19, 2018, 10:46:43 am »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1390 on: May 4, 2018, 11:12:22 am »
IS THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT DRIVING AMERICANS AWAY FROM RELIGION?

New research finds that, when evangelical organizations raise their profile by sponsoring a high-profile political campaign, a backlash ensues.

Article

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: May 4, 2018, 01:24:24 pm »
IS THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT DRIVING AMERICANS AWAY FROM RELIGION?

New research finds that, when evangelical organizations raise their profile by sponsoring a high-profile political campaign, a backlash ensues.

Article

Without a doubt. Closer to home, look at the backlash against the Irish Catholic Church. They're cultivating a real environment of agnosticism I'm the ROI.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1392 on: May 4, 2018, 03:13:02 pm »
Without a doubt. Closer to home, look at the backlash against the Irish Catholic Church. They're cultivating a real environment of agnosticism I'm the ROI.
Why, what are they doing?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1393 on: May 4, 2018, 03:20:08 pm »
Why, what are they doing?

Mostly horrible things to children.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: May 4, 2018, 07:22:00 pm »

I do find this strange. Surely if you believed in the Abrahamic God of the 3 main religions would it not make more sense to become a proddy?  As opposed to Atheist, or a Jew for that matter. Surely taking up another Christian denomination or religion is less extreme than losing your faith.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1395 on: May 4, 2018, 11:25:30 pm »
I do find this strange. Surely if you believed in the Abrahamic God of the 3 main religions would it not make more sense to become a proddy?  As opposed to Atheist, or a Jew for that matter. Surely taking up another Christian denomination or religion is less extreme than losing your faith.

I think for many, the shitty behaviour of the Catholic Church has led them not just to question their Catholicism but Christianity. And it really doesn't hold up to much scrutiny once you scratch the surface. For many, Catholicism is habitual rather than an important part of their daily lives. Find me an Irish Catholic under the age of 50 that will claim they actually enjoy attending mass.

Agnosticism is as easy as conversion to another xtian sect. It has the appeal of sounding reasonable while not exactly giving up on God. 

In the 2016 census, Catholicism was down 6% on 2011. No religion was up something like 75%.  I recall reading a while back that Ireland has the second highest decline in religiosity in Europe. I've had actual conversations with people who filled in Catholic in the census but say they 'don't really believe in God.'

Offline cress

• Main Stander
« Reply #1396 on: May 13, 2018, 08:44:14 am »
Strong 7.

Religion is a means to control people and make money, also a tool to carry out wars.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1397 on: May 13, 2018, 09:03:35 am »
Mostly horrible things to children.
Well, I've always said religion is a form of child abuse.  As for the other type of abuse, poor fuckers, feel for anyone who is abused.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: May 13, 2018, 09:09:37 am »
I think for many, the shitty behaviour of the Catholic Church has led them not just to question their Catholicism but Christianity. And it really doesn't hold up to much scrutiny once you scratch the surface. For many, Catholicism is habitual rather than an important part of their daily lives. Find me an Irish Catholic under the age of 50 that will claim they actually enjoy attending mass.

Agnosticism is as easy as conversion to another xtian sect. It has the appeal of sounding reasonable while not exactly giving up on God. 

In the 2016 census, Catholicism was down 6% on 2011. No religion was up something like 75%.  I recall reading a while back that Ireland has the second highest decline in religiosity in Europe. I've had actual conversations with people who filled in Catholic in the census but say they 'don't really believe in God.'
You only need to go on the net and research if there is real proof of Jesus and that'll soon put most off religion. Or read the bible, if that doesn't put someone off religion then nothing will.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1399 on: May 13, 2018, 10:35:19 pm »
You only need to go on the net and research if there is real proof of Jesus and that'll soon put most off religion. Or read the bible, if that doesn't put someone off religion then nothing will.

I'm continually perplexed at how Mormonism hasn't collapsed completely since the dawn of the internet. Joseph Smith was a total charlatan whose shady life had been covered up by the LDS church until the net exposed Mormons to it.