Author Topic: Tories really really aren't very nice at all are they? (***)  (Read 190656 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Tories really really aren't very nice at all are they? (***)
« Reply #1960 on: February 19, 2018, 12:22:03 am »
Perhaps they just want the whole electorate to be innumerate. It is the only way to make sense of Brexit after all.

Nah just the oiks.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #1961 on: February 19, 2018, 09:45:22 am »
This new proposal on student fees is bizarre..

Lower fee for arts courses .... why?  Because you don’t earn as much on the back of them.  However, the whole point of the loans system is that your repayments are linked to your earnings.  It makes no sense.

And there’s an even bigger issue.  We cannot get enough people to do science, technology, maths and engineering subjects.... so making it cheaper to do other courses?  Bizarre.

That’s not going to help numbers doing stem courses is it.

Bonkers
Am more concerned they will create a stigma around cheaper courses (where the reward is not necessarily job earnings). The problem with the Tories is they keep using an education as a proxy for future earnings, which is not what an education is for (tis a happy byproduct of).
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1962 on: February 19, 2018, 10:00:54 am »
Am more concerned they will create a stigma around cheaper courses (where the reward is not necessarily job earnings). The problem with the Tories is they keep using an education as a proxy for future earnings, which is not what an education is for (tis a happy byproduct of).

Amen.

Thing I've taken from the proposals is that those who'd benefit most will be those who don't need loans (affluent backgrounds) and those who'll pay off all or almost all their loans (those who will be the highest earners). If you could pinpoint a potential Tory demographic among students...

Think there's a lot of merit in the argument that we should stop with presenting this as loans, with all the assumptions which come with that, and reframe the whole system as a graduate tax where repayment is linked to future earnings.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1963 on: February 19, 2018, 10:37:02 am »
Has anyone ever seen breakdown of how much an average university course costs for the university itself?

It's difficult, I know, because your fee is also contributing to a lot more than just the course. Though, if it was wider knowledge perhaps we could empathise with them a good bit more (or rage at them).

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:29 am »
If we are putting off students because of the debt and fees then the system is wrong. The only people who would then get put off is lower income family students, making university a much more middle class place.

The fee system is wrong and the twats in charge should fix, but since we all know they are useless c*nts who probably won't do that, making it even more wrong by financially encouraging students to take less science courses seems like a bloody stupid idea.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1965 on: February 19, 2018, 11:14:48 am »
Has anyone ever seen breakdown of how much an average university course costs for the university itself?

It's difficult, I know, because your fee is also contributing to a lot more than just the course. Though, if it was wider knowledge perhaps we could empathise with them a good bit more (or rage at them).

My course (chemistry) would be way more than £9000.  As would medicine and anything with a practical element to it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1966 on: February 19, 2018, 01:35:33 pm »
My course (chemistry) would be way more than £9000.  As would medicine and anything with a practical element to it.

I was a medical student 1979-84.  We were told it cost upwards of £100,000 (in those days) to educate each of us. Which is why they rarely threw anyone off the course...fortunately for me!!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1967 on: February 19, 2018, 03:46:53 pm »
As expected May has ruled out scrapping fees and instead will kick off a review. More than likely in a year they wont give a shit about the outcome of it. Clearly a way to get some positive press for the Tories.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1968 on: February 19, 2018, 05:47:56 pm »
I was a medical student 1979-84.  We were told it cost upwards of £100,000 (in those days) to educate each of us. Which is why they rarely threw anyone off the course...fortunately for me!!

Now, isn't that reassuring!? :-X
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: February 19, 2018, 07:40:50 pm »
Now, isn't that reassuring!? :-X

I did alright!  So did the thousands who have my hip replacements etc in situ..

Mind you in our student days we used to look around the lecture theatre to pick out the 'law of 10'.  ie were there 10 people thicker than us among the 150 students?  If so, we were alright!

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1970 on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:10 pm »
I did alright!  So did the thousands who have my hip replacements etc in situ..

Mind you in our student days we used to look around the lecture theatre to pick out the 'law of 10'.  ie were there 10 people thicker than us among the 150 students?  If so, we were alright!

No worries - I did not take your comments seriously (about yourself). :) But, the larger issue of incentives to keep people who were ill-suited - not good. Of course, though, it happens in all walks of life.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1971 on: February 20, 2018, 07:15:15 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/19/westminster-councillor-received-gifts-and-hospitality-514-times-in-three-years

He's done nothing wrong though. That's what the article says. Course he hasn't. Nothing dodgy has gone on there, no sir.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1972 on: February 20, 2018, 08:33:50 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/19/westminster-councillor-received-gifts-and-hospitality-514-times-in-three-years

He's done nothing wrong though. That's what the article says. Course he hasn't. Nothing dodgy has gone on there, no sir.

Its mad that public officials are allowed such ‘gifts’.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1973 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:06 am »
Royal College of Psychiatrists have taken a look at Mental Health funding in the NHS. This is something May and Hunt consistently claim has improved, and there's a long list of announcements on 'new' things which they parade out to prove it. The psychiatrists would beg to differ after looking at the detail.

Jay Watts (a clinical psychologist) breaks it down some more, in its effects on services, in the Indie.

Funding is now skewed to services for those with common mental health conditions, where large numbers of people can be seen, treated and discharged quickly, as opposed to prioritising those most in need (whose treatment costs more). Even in services like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies that serve those with milder mental health problems, therapists are intimidated into seeing patients for less than the number of sessions the evidence-base requires to mask unrealistic service contracts. These issues are producing record levels of burnout across NHS mental health services in staff members. Indeed the task for staff has now become performing, rather than providing care, a reversal which staff fight against each and every day.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #1975 on: February 21, 2018, 12:50:43 pm »
https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/966290767668039681

Neil back on form - a reminder of how good he used to be before his Brexit bias destroyed him.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: February 21, 2018, 12:57:26 pm »
https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/966290767668039681

Neil back on form - a reminder of how good he used to be before his Brexit bias destroyed him.

Nailed him. I hope to see Neil get in front of Gavin Williamson as well. A Dauly Mail politician if ever there was one.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1977 on: February 22, 2018, 11:57:00 am »
Stromz on the Brits must have hit home or worried about the youth vote but Downing street released a statement.

PM "absolutely committed" to supporting people affected by Grenfell Tower tragedy, Downing Street says, after@Stormzy1 criticised her at the Brits.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rANwUajzQoA&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rANwUajzQoA&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: February 22, 2018, 12:21:27 pm »
It’s responding to one of the big stories of the day nothing more than that

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1979 on: February 22, 2018, 12:42:33 pm »

It’s responding to one of the big stories of the day nothing more than that

Usually they won't even worry about this, let alone release a statement they are worried about the London vote.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1980 on: February 22, 2018, 12:43:38 pm »
Usually they won't even worry about this, let alone release a statement they are worried about the London vote.

have you any examples of when they’ve outright ignored big stories like this?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1981 on: February 23, 2018, 04:34:48 pm »

i suppose the best example is the Tories have not carried out even close to their promises to rehouse these people but you wont find it mentioned too much in the papers, so maybe he is simply bringing it back into the mainstream in the hope that the Tories get their collective arses into gear or by some remote fluke the papers actually hold the govt to task over this.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1982 on: February 23, 2018, 04:39:21 pm »

They’re good at getting a statement out there, I’ll give them that, but whether they act on it is questionable. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1983 on: February 23, 2018, 05:43:24 pm »
i suppose the best example is the Tories have not carried out even close to their promises to rehouse these people but you wont find it mentioned too much in the papers, so maybe he is simply bringing it back into the mainstream in the hope that the Tories get their collective arses into gear or by some remote fluke the papers actually hold the govt to task over this.
its a lot more difficult said than done though, especially if they rehouse them in that area

They’re good at getting a statement out there, I’ll give them that, but whether they act on it is questionable. 
itd be beyond idiotic not to to be honest, and that’s looking at it purely from an electoral perspective not a moral one

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #1984 on: March 1, 2018, 12:53:39 am »

Migration/immigration targets.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1985 on: March 1, 2018, 11:00:32 am »
No shock really.

Culture Secretary Matt Hancock says government will not implement second stage of the Leveson Inquiry into press standards and regulation

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1986 on: March 1, 2018, 11:01:50 am »
No shock really.

Culture Secretary Matt Hancock says government will not implement second stage of the Leveson Inquiry into press standards and regulation

Rupert say no.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #1987 on: March 1, 2018, 11:10:28 am »
Lost a donor....

@faisalislam
Tory donor @PimlicoPlumbers Charlie Mullins tells @adamboultonSKY All Out Politics that he has spoken to Vince Cable, and he’ll now financially support the Lib Dem’s because of the Government’s position on Brexit

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1988 on: March 1, 2018, 04:27:01 pm »
Regarding the Tories not going through with Leveson 2: HOLY SHI... oh no, never mind.  Fucking normality with that shower.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1990 on: March 4, 2018, 12:06:00 pm »
May be of interest to some. Austerity and its costs.

The UK now has a surplus on the government’s current budget. George Gideon Oliver Osborne, son of Sir Peter Osborne, 17th Baronet of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon and Felicity Alexandra Loxton-Peacock, educated at St. Paul's and Magdalen College, Oxford tweeted “We got there in the end — a remarkable national effort. Thank you.” This has been a remarkable period in UK macroeconomic history, but not in the way Osborne thinks. A majority of economists have always been against trying to reduce the deficit when interest rates are stuck at their lower bound, a majority Osborne chose to ignore. So what has been the cost of this “remarkable national effort”?

The final figure suggests the national effort to reduce the deficit cost over 15% of GDP, which when GDP is around 2 trillion and there are 27 million households, gives over £10,000 per household.

£10,000 for each household is an average figure, but we know that austerity did not fall evenly, but was concentrated on those at the bottom end of the income distribution. It is certain that cuts to social care and the NHS cost lives: it is just a question of how many thousands of lives we are talking about.

And then there is the political cost of austerity. The Coalition government, and particularly our current Prime Minister, has used immigration as a scapegoat for the impact of austerity. With the help of the right wing press that scapegoating has worked. In particular, as I show here, many people believe that immigration has been bad for public services like the NHS. In reality the opposite is true, but the government and press have succeeded in creating what I call a politicised truth: something that is believed to be true just because politicians and the media keep saying it is.

Simon Wren Lewis

Bravo Gideon.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1991 on: March 12, 2018, 11:25:38 pm »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-stopped-sneaking-through-cuts-12146487

Amazed that this doesnt make most right minded people angry:
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1994 on: March 12, 2018, 11:42:41 pm »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-stopped-sneaking-through-cuts-12146487

It was posted a while ago in the Labour topic.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: March 12, 2018, 11:44:35 pm »
RAWK is not a news aggregator. If you think a link contains something worth discussing, at least attempt to start the debate with a sentence or two.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1996 on: March 12, 2018, 11:46:29 pm »

If I remember rightly the vote is tomorrow and the Tories are trying to get the DUP to vote with them by saying Ireland wont lose its school meals.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1998 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:35 pm »
Yes. Being paid to appear on foreign telly is exactly the same as accepting millions for private access from Russian oligarchs. Exactly the same. No false equivalence there whatsoever.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1999 on: March 13, 2018, 12:02:03 am »
Is this loophole in election law whereby Russians cannot donate directly, but can purchase items at a fundraising auction as it is viewed as a commercial transaction not a gift?

There needs to be a thorough investigation of Russian money in U.K. politics. Unfortunately May is so shit scared of uncovering anything that proves Russian interference in the referendum that they just won’t look.

But today is not the day for poking that hornets’ nest.