Author Topic: UK holiday with kids  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
UK holiday with kids
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:28:59 pm »
Hope mods don't mind but opened this as a separate one to the main holiday one.

Looking to take the kids away this summer but only in the UK. Would be me on my own plus 2 kids aged 8 and 9 (will be almost 9 and 10 by time of holiday).

Uk as opposed to abroad as their mum will most likely take them abroad in the summer holidays so only want to do UK.

Would like to do Butlins as took them there when they were younger but 4 nights in the Butlins one is best part of a grand without the money you spend when you are there.

Last summer, I took them to the Park Holidays site in Winchelsea which was fine but there wasn't much on site so ended up spending a fortune in the arcade.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Been on all the main sites and on tripadvisor but would be good if anyone on here has different suggestions.

Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: UK holiday with kids
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 02:43:56 pm »
North Devon is nice if you have a car and are prepared to use it. The area between Ilfracombe, Bideford and Bude is nice with enough fallback entertainment for the kids.

The Big Sheep has a brewery onsite. 
The Milky Way is possibly better for your kids age range - although it does lack a brewery.
Hartland Quay is my favourite beach in the area.

The pasties are good.

Watermouth Castle, Quince Honey Farm, the funicular in Lynton, Ilfracombe town centre and of course the many beaches are good options. Best arcade in the area is probably the one in Westward Ho! And the Moors are on your doorstop. I find the Combe Martin Dinosaur Park particular sad and won't go there.

My kids need to be kept busy to stop them killing each other.  Overall it is a quieter area and less frenetic than a lot of the places in the South West in summer.

One word of caution, travelling to the South West on a Friday or Saturday in the summer holidays is extreme folly. 

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:58:33 pm »

Cheers mate, that's funny that it was the first reply as my dad lives in Bideford and the kids love the Milky Way! Will probably be going down to see him for the weekend during the holidays aswell as the holiday so will give Ilfracombe a go as have never been there when we've visited.

Offline james791

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:05:54 pm »
Cornwall can be good if you avoid the pricey places. Hayle, which is just outside St Ives is lovely. There's a Haven holiday park there and also chalets that are both about a 2 min walk from the beach so if you have nice weather, you don't have to spend a fortune on entertainment. You'd probably need to drive though as it's in a funny location relative to the centre of Hayle.

Cornwall overall can be expensive but if you are savvy, it can be done a bit cheaper too. Avoid eating out too much, fill up on Philps pasties at lunchtime (they're huge) get the kids into the water with wetsuits and bodyboards, makes it a bit more bearable.
"No dont actually do it! Have some self re-cocking-spect"

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:38:49 pm »
Cornwall can be good if you avoid the pricey places. Hayle, which is just outside St Ives is lovely. There's a Haven holiday park there and also chalets that are both about a 2 min walk from the beach so if you have nice weather, you don't have to spend a fortune on entertainment. You'd probably need to drive though as it's in a funny location relative to the centre of Hayle.

Cornwall overall can be expensive but if you are savvy, it can be done a bit cheaper too. Avoid eating out too much, fill up on Philps pasties at lunchtime (they're huge) get the kids into the water with wetsuits and bodyboards, makes it a bit more bearable.

Cheers mate, that place looks really nice. Have you stayed at the Haven?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 03:12:38 pm »
Rhyl
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 04:37:20 pm »

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 05:29:05 pm »

This.

3 wetsuits and 3 boogie boards is all you need, and a car. Find a different beach everyday, they're aren't many better places in the world than Cornwall in the sun.

Avoid Newquay, it's a shit hole.

Sunshine is optional.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:39:28 pm »
Tried to search up decent deals for Haven and other holiday parks in Cornwall, prices were ridiculous. Could go to Turkey or Morocco for a week for that price.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:38:58 pm »
Parts of North and west Wales are gorgeous. So much cheaper than Cornwall and loads to do.

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 12:28:20 am »
9 and 10 must be the perfect age for a camping trip adventure? The weather could be tricky but if you're going in summer it wouldn't be so bad, especially round Cornwall-way. How about Cheddar Gorge, plenty of caves for them to wonder at and stuff to tire them out in time for nighttime. If you have a car, Longleat's not too much of a stretch for the day- or Weston-super-mare? Not sure where you are but Snowdonia could be a good camping option too- you've got the mountain/train of course but Llandudno and the Great Orme is a good day out. You've got the option of going to see all the low-flying jets around the mach loop if that's their kind of thing too.

Offline james791

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 12:10:11 pm »
Cheers mate, that place looks really nice. Have you stayed at the Haven?

Not stayed at the Haven, I've stayed in one of the holiday homes down that road but I've been for a look round the site and it seems ok. Lots of families with kids obviously, but seems to be a fair amount to do. Decent Chippy on the site too. there's also a pub which I believe is owned by Haven down the road-the Bluff. Expensive for what is pub food and not very good beer, but a nice view.
"No dont actually do it! Have some self re-cocking-spect"

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 12:26:39 pm »
Thanks all. North Wales does have some beautiful areas and I like the look of the Presthaven Haven site as that has the scenery of North Wales but seems like a nice park aswell.

I do like the idea of Perranporth as I went there as a kid and really liked it. Agree about Newquay though, reminds me of Surfers Paradise in Australia if anyone has been there. Sounds nice but is actually commercial and shit.

It is fucking crazy how much some of these places in the UK are charging for what you get in return and then they want you to pay for activities on top!!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 12:52:53 pm »
Thanks all. North Wales does have some beautiful areas and I like the look of the Presthaven Haven site as that has the scenery of North Wales but seems like a nice park aswell.

I do like the idea of Perranporth as I went there as a kid and really liked it. Agree about Newquay though, reminds me of Surfers Paradise in Australia if anyone has been there. Sounds nice but is actually commercial and shit.

It is fucking crazy how much some of these places in the UK are charging for what you get in return and then they want you to pay for activities on top!!

Have stayed at both Hafan Y Mor and Prestatyn sites, we did Prestatyn last Easter and the one before and going again early September. Both nice sites and the caravans at Prestatyn have been getting replaced I believe. My boys, 6 and 8, loved playing on the beach, it's massive and legging through the dunes. They also played in the arcade, but they love the 2p machines so didn't cost a bomb. There's fuck all eating place wise in Prestatyn itself, so we either ate in the caravan, went in the onsite pub, the Mash and Barrel, or got takeout from the onsite chippy or Papa Johns, there's also a burger king.

The pools are better at Hafan, they've got good water slides but the beach is crap. The one in Pwhelli has been ruined, they dredged the estuary, dumped it out to sea and a storm dragged it all back and dumped it on the beach, so it's nothing but stones.

I agree the cost of UK holidays is atrocious. We did Hafan at the end of August 2 years on the trot, weather was OK, cold during the night and it did rain. For not a massive amount more we did Majorca the following year, 28-30c all week, even the nights were red hot.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:03:06 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 01:02:00 pm »
Use to take my two camping in North Wales (Snowdonia area) when they were kids.  They loved it. 
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:04 pm »
Use to take my two camping in North Wales (Snowdonia area) when they were kids.  They loved it. 

One of the most enjoyable UK holidays I had was a weeks camping in Mullion in Cornwall.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 01:07:15 pm »
One of the most enjoyable UK holidays I had was a weeks camping in Mullion in Cornwall.

Took them camping one year to Cornwall, near to Padstow - again they had a ball.

Also to Northumbria.

Kids seem to love camping and it doesn't break the bank.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 04:55:57 pm »
Searles resort in Hunstanton is like an independent haven site but the mobile homes are really good and prices are ok, Hunstanton beach is not particularly great, old Hunstanton just up the road is much better but it is a good base for exploring north Norfolk, wells next to the sea and Cromer are really nice and not too busy and have great beaches and the weather is generally more settled than the likes of Cornwall.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 10:29:08 pm »
Would agree with North Devon shout above. Woolacombe Beach has won international awards. If you're going to Cornwall I'd recommend the south coast rather than the north around Newquay etc. Much quieter near to places like St Austell, cheaper and the sea is calmer so better for kids to swim or paddle. We stayed in Charlestown which is a beautiful little harbour town. Cost us £700 for a week to rent a house.

Last year we went to Northumberland near Alnwick. It's brilliant up there. Like Cornwall but with way less people. The beaches are pristine and there are loads of castles to visit. Quite a trek of you're travelling from the south. We were  there in April and the weather was not great but it was one of the best holidays I've ever had with my family. I've got two lads aged 2 and 8. Paid about the same as Charlestown but for a cottage instead of a house in an estate.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 08:18:29 pm »

Problem is the pricey places tend to be the places you want to visit - The Lizard, Padstow, St Ives, Carbis Bay, Falmouth etc.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 08:26:03 pm »
Problem is the pricey places tend to be the places you want to visit - The Lizard, Padstow, St Ives, Carbis Bay, Falmouth etc.

Unlucky mate, we're all coming round to stay at yours ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 08:15:45 pm »
Camping in Pembrokeshire.  Roughtly £25 a night for the pitch,  fabulous beaches,  think Cornwall without the crowds (avoid Tenby),  get them on the some of the UK's best beaches all day (Newgale,  Whitesands, Marloes, Broadhaven) ,  walk in the hills,  sun always shines when we go :).  Sorted!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 08:21:30 pm »
Disagree entirely with all the North Wales shouts. It's shit. Go to Cornwall instead. Ta. x
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:35 pm »
Camping in Pembrokeshire.  Roughtly £25 a night for the pitch,  fabulous beaches,  think Cornwall without the crowds (avoid Tenby),  get them on the some of the UK's best beaches all day (Newgale,  Whitesands, Marloes, Broadhaven) ,  walk in the hills,  sun always shines when we go :).  Sorted!

Add Saundersfoot, Lydstep and Barafundle to that list. Not sure why you would avoid Tenby though, some great beaches and stuff for kids. My daughter loved it just as much as anywhere we have been in Europe. The drive through mid Wales is stunning as well.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 06:59:18 am »
A couple of years ago I took my 2 girls (12 and 4 at the time) to Butlins in Bognor

Perfect because of the age difference (which is becoming increasing more difficult these days)

Its pricey though but a good mix of stuff to do for each of them and the older one could stay in the room safely and watch shite on youtube whilst me and the little one went to do things like the kids shows etc
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 07:27:06 am »
I think the issue is cost. Holidaying in this country now is a joke. To actually get nice accomomodatiin somewhere you'd want to go and stay for a week you'd be better off going abroad with guranteed sunshine . It's not just the expense of the accomodation itself. Taking kids can cost an arm and a leg with food drinks and entertainment. With Europe being so cheap nowadays it seem crazy to stay over here, unless your camping which is a cheaper option.i used to go to Cornwall every year to surf. It's actually cheaper for me to go abroad nowadays for a week. Crazy prices to be honest.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 03:40:17 pm »
A couple of years ago I took my 2 girls (12 and 4 at the time) to Butlins in Bognor

Perfect because of the age difference (which is becoming increasing more difficult these days)

Its pricey though but a good mix of stuff to do for each of them and the older one could stay in the room safely and watch shite on youtube whilst me and the little one went to do things like the kids shows etc

Problem I found with Butlins is that despite the high cost, it's not as if you don't spend any money once you are there. Discounting drinks/food etc, stuff like go karts you still have to pay for and then the arcade games and rides that are everywhere end up costing you a fortune. I did a £100 a day both times i've been and once you add in the cost of the holiday you are looking at £1500 for a 4 night stay during the summer holidays which is just madness

Offline Shaun101

• Didn't take up his ticket for the Screen Sports Super Cup
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Where did I leave it?
« Reply #27 on: April 7, 2017, 11:12:26 am »
I can highly recommend "John Fowler" holiday parks in Cornwall- Prices are reasonable and a great base to see some sites down there like Polperro , mevagissey and Goran Haven as well as the established places, we took our daughter to various sites by them several times, very good value for money 

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #28 on: April 7, 2017, 12:30:14 pm »
I can highly recommend "John Fowler" holiday parks in Cornwall- Prices are reasonable and a great base to see some sites down there like Polperro , mevagissey and Goran Haven as well as the established places, we took our daughter to various sites by them several times, very good value for money

They look nice, accommodation looks good, a lot better than the caravans. What was the clubhouse like? The kids really like going to the clubhouse and playing on the arcades

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #29 on: April 8, 2017, 07:55:21 am »
Why not try guerrilla camping in Scotland, drive till you find an old abandoned barn, park up set up tent and make camp for the night. I did this one year for three or four nights and was a great buzz plus loads of beautiful walks, beaches ,towns like Inverness and a fraction of the cost of Cornwall. Kids love a seemingly naughty adventure but it is legal up there.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #30 on: April 8, 2017, 08:09:01 am »
We've done cottages in Wales the last couple of years, once near Abersoch and once near Nefyn (after going to St. Austell the year before - couldn't face the drive again with two small kids!). Beautiful areas and great beaches if the weather is on your side, and both within driving distance of a few decent days out (greenwood Forrest park is alright but your kids might be a bit old, and canearfon castle etc.). We are looking at North Yorkshire this year, seems to be more to do with places like flamingo land around, might be some decent haven style places up that way too.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #31 on: April 8, 2017, 09:03:52 am »
On their website now ,looks very good. Can't seem to find any caravans with a seaview, which is what I'm wanting.

Also came across Waterside Holidays, based in Weymouth. Never been to Weymouth though so not sure what the activities and beaches are like. Accomodation looks top notch though.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 9, 2017, 01:55:17 pm »
On their website now ,looks very good. Can't seem to find any caravans with a seaview, which is what I'm wanting.

Also came across Waterside Holidays, based in Weymouth. Never been to Weymouth though so not sure what the activities and beaches are like. Accomodation looks top notch though.

Only been to Weymouth once, to visit the sealife centre, so can't say much about it. There are some great views and walks in the Dorset area (our kid lives in Bournemouth), the sea is great to swim in and the weather is usually decent. If the beach is anything like Bournemouth, which I think it is, then it'll be a proper sandy beach

https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/south-west/dorset/weymouth

Offline Shaun101

• Didn't take up his ticket for the Screen Sports Super Cup
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Where did I leave it?
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 02:20:53 pm »
They look nice, accommodation looks good, a lot better than the caravans. What was the clubhouse like? The kids really like going to the clubhouse and playing on the arcades

Sorry mate missed your reply been busy workwise.

Yep there is good entertainment for a campsite and there are small arcades.

The one at ST Ives has a 9 hole pitch and putt and very good food choices and is in a great part of the world if a bit far down mind.

Offline Rysoph76

• Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 12:04:09 pm »
Went to Hafan Y Mor Haven last week and thought it was good for kids of their age (both 9). Plenty to do on site (we never left site for the 4 days). Food was good, prices were reasonable. Evening entertainment was of a decent standard and they had 2 good arcades. Also, they showed the Hoffenheim game last Tuesday on the big screen in the main kids entertainment room so had about 500 fellow reds to watch the game with while the kids played in the arcade which was a result!

Bit of a headfuck that the main night entertainment place 'The Cove' is what was 'Stars' nightclub in the old Butlins which was on the site and it has hardly changed so I was showing the kids the fire exits where we used to bunk in when we were 17! Where did those 24 years go?!!  :o