Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 387775 times)

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #3520 on: October 3, 2017, 08:00:43 pm »
Sample sizes but also 21% from a much higher xG/shot, yes? Liverpool got in behind more, Sturridge got in behind more and his chances would've been way easier.

Easier than the absolute sitters he has missed for fun in the last week against Spartak and Newcastle?

He isn't as good a finisher now as he used to be. That's crystal clear to everyone who wants to take off the red tinted glasses.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3521 on: October 3, 2017, 08:01:29 pm »
Go watch the Arsenal FA Cup game in 13/14 and watch him miss more sitters than those two games combined.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3522 on: October 3, 2017, 08:03:21 pm »
How do they become worse finishers? How do you lose a technical and mental skill like that? You don't. Your legs get tired, injuries catch up with you, you play less and all of a sudden you can't get to the back post to get that tap in or you can't race in behind a defence to get a one-on-one. The easier chances dry up for you, lower xG/shot happens and your shot/goal% will go down.

If you honestly want to try claim strikers can't become worse finishers than when they were in their peaks then there isn't much I can say to you.

Do you really believe Torres is as good in front of goal now as in 2007?

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3523 on: October 3, 2017, 08:20:51 pm »
In terms of pure finishing, probably. There certainly won't be a big drop off. I'd wager his big chances/game has gone down though. Conversion% 17% and 19% in his last two seasons at Atletico.

It's interesting in the season since 13/14 that Sturridge managed to get 50 shots his conversion% went back up to 17%. He probably is in that elite bracket of 15-20% in a top chance creating team given a good sample size. But he's barely played 1,000 minutes in the league since then. He just needs more football, which I don't think he will or necessarily should get. Bobby's plus point are just too good for the team.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2017, 08:37:32 pm by groove »

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #3524 on: October 4, 2017, 04:08:11 pm »
I'd be more worried if we were shipping goals and not making chances to balls up. This will resolve itself with a pasteing of gigantosaurus proportions. Just as everything Mo Salah touched in pre season turned into goals so shall it be in a few weeks. And we'll all move on to why Lucas should never have been allowed to leave because we don't have a boring player to focus our wrath on anymore. 

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3525 on: October 4, 2017, 05:00:57 pm »
If you have reduced mobility in your hip area of course your finishing can get worse.

Offline redtrev

• Running dog of CAPITALISM
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3526 on: October 14, 2017, 09:18:33 am »
His problem is games and confidence. If he gets games his finishing will come back. And thus is confidence. Prob is u till were killing teams for fun again he is unlikely to get them. But I think he has enough arrogance or mental strenght to get through this and Co. E back strong again.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3527 on: October 19, 2017, 04:32:35 pm »
Daniel Sturridge is truly a force of nature ;D Such a funny guy ... carpool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_3Dmaa4exA
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3528 on: October 20, 2017, 08:18:04 pm »
Daniel Sturridge is truly a force of nature ;D Such a funny guy ... carpool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_3Dmaa4exA

Cheers

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #3529 on: October 20, 2017, 08:31:25 pm »

Dan the man. Been looking forward to these kind of videos. Loved the previous rap/hip hop quiz ones in the previous ones. Seems like a great lad all round.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3530 on: October 21, 2017, 08:16:50 am »

Ha that’s brilliant. Seems like a top lad.

Offline johnamiri

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3531 on: October 23, 2017, 09:40:13 am »
Dan looks like a shadow of the player he was. He was never quick but now he looks like he's running in treacle. The injuries seem to have taken their toll and Klopp doesn't fancy using him at all. If thats the case Lets see what Solanke can do . He has one advantage in that he has a bit of height and is more mobile than Dan

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #3532 on: October 23, 2017, 09:56:05 am »
I was praying our first change would be Solanke, because he runs and tries to force players into areas.

I think Sturride is good to bring on when we are in a game, having lots of possession and creating opportunities. He finds space outside the box, he can come deep and get the ball, bringing defenders with him and he can finish.

But away from home, struggling to create chances, against a very good defence, I'm not sure what he can bring to be honest. I would rather have had Solanke come on. And that's not a knee-jerk, I was calling for it when I saw him coming on.

I don't think he is properly match fit - how can he be? So I do feel for him in a way. So much is expected of him when he comes on the pitch. I think we are expecting Sturridge of 13/14 but that's long gone IMO.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3533 on: October 23, 2017, 10:02:33 am »
Dan looks like a shadow of the player he was. He was never quick but now he looks like he's running in treacle. The injuries seem to have taken their toll and Klopp doesn't fancy using him at all. If thats the case Lets see what Solanke can do . He has one advantage in that he has a bit of height and is more mobile than Dan
The strange thing is that he spent years coming back from constant injuries and looking like he'd never been out. Then he has the procedure that was supposed to alleviate his injury issues at the source (whatever that was), and since then his legs have gone and he's seemed physically shot to pieces.

Have to wonder if that's a coincidence, if my memory of the order of events is correct. He's available much more often now than he ever has been for us, but we're worse off imo.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:22:25 am by rowan_d »

Offline Jay012345

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • How many topics?
« Reply #3534 on: October 23, 2017, 10:07:26 am »
Id start to get Solanki involved much more regularly, he could be special if handled correctly. Studge just doesn't look like scoring at all at the moment, he hardly getting into position for chances. Klopp subs very late though so hard for anyone to make an impact in 15 mins here and there.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3535 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:23 am »
It was almost embarrassing asking him to play up top alone against Sanchez, Alderweirald and Vertonghen. In fact, why did Klopp not just go with two up front?

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #3536 on: October 23, 2017, 10:18:13 am »
The strange thing is that he spent years coming back from constant injuries and looking like he'd never been out. Then he has the procedure that was supposed to alleviate his injury issues at the source (whatever that was), and since then his legs have gone and he's seemed physically shot to pieces.

Have to wonder if that's a coincidence, if my memory of the order of events is correct. On the one hand, he's available much more often now than he ever has been for us, but we're worse off imo.
That’s a good point..: he does seem worse despite efforts to cure his injuries and give him rest of etc... my only excuse is down to his age multiplied by rustiness multiplied by the accumulated effects of constant injuries, treatment, surgery and rehab... this has irreparably damaged his body, his mindset and his confidence is shot to pieces...

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #3537 on: October 23, 2017, 10:32:17 am »
It's sad to see really. His body just cannot do what his mind wants.

We've been fortunate to have had so many great players, and he would have been right up there, if not for the injuries.

A super talented footballer, who by all account seems like a really lovely fella off the field too.

Not often I get misty eyed about multi-millionaire footballers, but yeah.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3538 on: October 23, 2017, 12:29:59 pm »
It was almost embarrassing asking him to play up top alone against Sanchez, Alderweirald and Vertonghen. In fact, why did Klopp not just go with two up front?

Or give Solanke a go.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3539 on: October 23, 2017, 12:34:35 pm »
Or give Solanke a go.

They probably were both needed. Was unfair expecting either of them to do anything against three centrebacks of the quality and form that Spurs have.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3540 on: October 23, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »
I'd be more worried if we were shipping goals and not making chances to balls up. This will resolve itself with a pasteing of gigantosaurus proportions. Just as everything Mo Salah touched in pre season turned into goals so shall it be in a few weeks. And we'll all move on to why Lucas should never have been allowed to leave because we don't have a boring player to focus our wrath on anymore. 

It didn't, did it?

We smashed Maribor.

Still shit at defending.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #3541 on: October 24, 2017, 05:47:12 pm »
It didn't, did it?

We smashed Maribor.

Still shit at defending.

Let's just agree we have our moments. Work in progress sign is still up. I still believe Sturridge is the best finisher we've got but he doesn't seem to have the legs anymore.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #3542 on: October 24, 2017, 06:01:01 pm »
Dan looks like a shadow of the player he was. He was never quick but now he looks like he's running in treacle.he injuries seem to have taken their toll and Klopp doesn't fancy using him at all. If thats the case Lets see what Solanke can do . He has one advantage in that he has a bit of height and is more mobile than Dan

Agree with all but the bolded bit. He was rapid in his pomp.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3543 on: October 24, 2017, 06:30:15 pm »
Agree with all but the bolded bit. He was rapid in his pomp.

Not quick, yeah that's not what most people would have said if they'd describe Daniel of old. Such a shame.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3544 on: October 25, 2017, 07:08:11 am »
Not quick, yeah that's not what most people would have said if they'd describe Daniel of old. Such a shame.

One can just go through old RAWK posts about Sturridge, particularly when he first signed, and see immediately that he was always talked about for how speedy he was. Yet, few seasons down the line, "he was never THAT quick". Revisionism is a funny thing. What's interesting though is that one might imagine that this notion was put to bed with the speed stats that led to the creation of this thread but apparently people continue peddling myths such as Sturridge was never quick anyway.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #3545 on: October 25, 2017, 07:47:49 am »
One thing that I associated Sturridge with when he signed was his pace and his acceleration. Injuries over the years have most definitely taken their toll.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3546 on: October 25, 2017, 09:00:50 pm »
I don't think he was ever rapid, if rapid means as quick as Salah/Mane. But he was definitely in that next group of pretty fucking quick. But it was always coupled with the world class movement. He still has that, of course. I just think it's harder to run in behind as a lone striker vs a flat back 4. It's easier to get your wide forwards in the gaps between full back and centre back, as we're seeing with Mane and Salah. Sturridge had similar problems for Rodgers playing as a lone striker, but when you paired him with someone (Suarez/Sterling/Balotelli/Origi) that's always where things opened up for him.

Anyway, there was no real opportunity for him on Sunday as Spurs had already adjusted into a fairly conservative mode and he found himself surrounded every time he received the ball. Should've been on a lot earlier for me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:03:00 pm by groove »

Online Santiago

• Main Stander
  • Yeeeessss!!!
« Reply #3547 on: October 28, 2017, 06:35:09 pm »
Dont care what anyone says, love this bloke :lickin

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3548 on: October 28, 2017, 07:47:41 pm »
Seems to sniff out a couple of those a season, where he reads a loose back pass or a napping full back.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3549 on: October 28, 2017, 07:50:26 pm »
Didn't think he was that good today though. If you're physical with him you've always been able to bully him out the game a bit I think. Get right in his back when he receives the ball and don't let him turn.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #3550 on: October 28, 2017, 08:48:49 pm »
Thank Christ for that decent finish that came at the right time today
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3551 on: October 28, 2017, 11:00:15 pm »
I love Daniel Sturridge. Even Crocked Daniel is better than whoever you like. Fact.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3552 on: October 28, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »
I don't think he was ever rapid, if rapid means as quick as Salah/Mane.

He was definitely as quick as that duo - we talked about him as one of the quickest players in the league. Watch his goals against Fulham away 2013 and 2014, Arsenal at home 2014, Swansea home 2014, Cardiff away 2014, Everton home 2014. They were just from outright pace. His more valuable trait used to be immense acceleration in and around the box.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3553 on: October 28, 2017, 11:25:20 pm »
Still see him dropping far too deep at times. When Salah swivels to shoot that one that the keeper turns away from the post Daniel is 20 yards behind Salah. Seems to be energy conserving at times rather than getting into the box in support where we know he can be lethal.
Delighted for him to get his 100th in front of the Kop.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3554 on: October 29, 2017, 08:15:47 am »
Delighted for him to get his 100th in front of the Kop.

Yeah that was really nice to see.

Well in Daniel.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3555 on: October 29, 2017, 05:51:46 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BIiSwxLz2Ok" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BIiSwxLz2Ok</a>

He sure weren't happy about his pace stats haha

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3556 on: October 29, 2017, 06:41:16 pm »
He sure weren't happy about his pace stats haha

:lmao thanks for that, enjoyable.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3557 on: October 29, 2017, 06:48:14 pm »
That's very funny, not Raheem's biggest fan, but Sturridge is bloody hilarious.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3558 on: October 29, 2017, 08:19:28 pm »
I love Sturridge, great personality, glad he's around.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3559 on: October 29, 2017, 08:28:30 pm »
That's quite interesting though. If Raheem and Daniel are like bemused at it, either no-one's noticed he's got a lot slower or he hasn't got that much slower but just holds back a lot :D