Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 210140 times)

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #1440 on: June 13, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »
If Ocon (C not K ;) ) didn't leave the track and tried to stay on the track he takes himself and Vettel out. It was risky, Vettel admitted so much that he had to trust him and said he kept his eyes shut hoping they wouldn't hit each other. Good drivers take risks.

You're missing the point.  Ocon put himself in that position by trying to re-pass Vettel around the outside into a closing gap.  If you can't see the difference between that scenario and Max chopping across the front of Vettel's car at the start, then it's probably a waste of time me continuing to debate it with you (not having a go).  At the end of the day I felt that Max was overly aggressive in his move.  You clearly don't.  Not the end of the world either way and some of the sport's greatest legends have done far, far worse so probably time to move on from this.   

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1441 on: June 13, 2017, 02:17:13 pm »

;D

https://twitter.com/f1writers/status/874608871091916801

Haha.  Ouch!  I Personally believe that there's a good probability that Fernando will be a full-time Indy driver next year.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1442 on: June 17, 2017, 10:01:33 pm »
A heartwarming story
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130189
Grand prix winner Robert Kubica says he can now drive a Formula 1 car "without any limitations" following his test with Renault.
Kubica severely injured his right hand and arm in a rally accident in February 2011, with a day at Valencia earlier this month his return to an F1 cockpit.
Renault's Alan Permane said Kubica showed the pace required to be in F1 aboard the team's 2012 E20, (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130147) and the 32-year-old insisted he is fitter than during his four-and-a-half year F1 career.
"I had been working a lot on my physical condition," Kubica told Poland's Eleven Sports.
"I have never been so fit, even in my 'golden years' when I was still competing in F1.
"For example, for the first time in my life my body weight is lower than in 2008.
"It turned out that [driving an F1 car] is not as scary and remote as it seemed to be.
"I can even admit that an F1 car was one of the easiest machines to drive with my limitations after my accident.
"Now I can sleep better because I know that I can drive a Formula 1 car without any limitations, I can drive quickly and consistently."
Kubica says he was in "shock" after the very first laps because of how comfortable he was driving an F1 car again.
"One of the best moments was returning to the pits after my first run when I realised that everything was under control and nothing had changed," he said.
"After the first three laps it seemed that the break had not lasted more than a month.
"It was a shock as I had a lot of question marks after so many years [out of action].
"I felt very confident in the cockpit. I felt at home."

Having stated after the test that he was now targeting a "proper comeback", Kubica has stressed it was important not to get carried away.
While he has also tested GP3 and Formula E machinery in recent months, Kubica is without a race programme after splitting with the ByKolles privateer LMP1 team before the World Endurance Championship opener.
"I know that the imaginations and expectations of fans and motorsport people were boosted after this test but there is no point in getting overexcited," he said.
"Time will tell. A lot has happened in my life over the past six years, a lot has changed in me.
"I will work to achieve the goal I set for myself and to achieve what I think is within my reach.
"It is too early to say what it is and whether it will happen. I will prepare myself for the highest goals.
"I think that two years ago people gave me quite slim chances to return to driving a Formula 1 car but I came back and did it, I think, in style."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:03:12 pm by We're not signing... »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1443 on: June 18, 2017, 11:23:10 am »
Amazing if he does return.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1445 on: June 19, 2017, 12:38:50 pm »
http://www.planetf1.com/news/williams-linked-with-honda-switch-report/
The Williams fan in me actually wants this....(Don't laugh). ;D

If Honda do actually get it right eventually and have a engine that is reliable and powerful then it bodes well getting closer to victories being a works team,they haven't been that close to being a top team since the they were exclusively with BMW when the were getting poles podiums and victories quite regular.

And it would also relieve pressure off Honda going with Williams as they wouldn't be constantly sniping at them as Mclaren have,also bodes well that Sauber will be using the engines to so Honda can get good feedback and data from 2 teams.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1446 on: June 19, 2017, 12:51:42 pm »
The Williams fan in me actually wants this....(Don't laugh). ;D

If Honda do actually get it right eventually and have a engine that is reliable and powerful then it bodes well getting closer to victories being a works team,they haven't been that close to being a top team since the they were exclusively with BMW when the were getting poles podiums and victories quite regular.

And it would also relieve pressure off Honda going with Williams as they wouldn't be constantly sniping at them as Mclaren have,also bodes well that Sauber will be using the engines to so Honda can get good feedback and data from 2 teams.
money wise Williams must be loaded. Stroll is meant to be paying them mad money, if they got in honda they would get some serious money as a works team.

Williams chassis isnt strong the last two years. 2014-5 it was easily top 3. they need to improve there, the engine is the best. maybe they need to improve the driver line up

sauber might as well go to honda, nothing going on there sadly.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1447 on: June 19, 2017, 12:59:06 pm »
It can only be a money reason because there is nothing in the past 18 months that says Honda are going to get this right.

Williams have got a really good thing going for them right now. A great launch control, a solid leadership structure and 2 really good drivers in Stroll and Massa.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1448 on: June 19, 2017, 01:07:15 pm »
It can only be a money reason because there is nothing in the past 18 months that says Honda are going to get this right.

Williams have got a really good thing going for them right now. A great launch control, a solid leadership structure and 2 really good drivers in Stroll and Massa.

end of 2013 i didnt think they would last much longer

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1449 on: June 19, 2017, 02:12:44 pm »
money wise Williams must be loaded. Stroll is meant to be paying them mad money, if they got in honda they would get some serious money as a works team.

Williams chassis isnt strong the last two years. 2014-5 it was easily top 3. they need to improve there, the engine is the best. maybe they need to improve the driver line up

sauber might as well go to honda, nothing going on there sadly.

It might just be that every chassis would look great going at the speeds Mclaren hit these days, but it looks to me like they've at least invested Honda money well in that area.

If Honda can get close to 'getting it right' - say, matching Renault, then Williams would have a potentially great springboard. Seems like it might be a worthwhile gamble. In two years time they can have Stroll's money well invested, and replace their two drivers with more competitive guys (maybe with guys like Bottas and Sainz) they could be in a better position than they currently are.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's that - is it referring to their starts? Or something more technical that I've not heard of before?

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1450 on: June 19, 2017, 03:40:33 pm »
And it would also relieve pressure off Honda going with Williams as they wouldn't be constantly sniping at them as Mclaren have

To be fair to McLaren I think they've been more than patient with Honda. Any public criticism that they've started to dish at Honda is more than warranted. You could show a bit more patience if it was slow but reliable or fast with reliability issues but the bottom line is the engine is absolute dogshit, not what Honda promised and they've taken far too long to address it.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1451 on: June 19, 2017, 03:51:42 pm »
Back to the racing this weekend. Who does the Baku City circuit favour? I'm assuming Red Bull will be miles back (and McLaren a further 5 miles back)? I can't recall, was there much in the way of overtaking last year?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1452 on: June 19, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »
Back to the racing this weekend. Who does the Baku City circuit favour? I'm assuming Red Bull will be miles back (and McLaren a further 5 miles back)? I can't recall, was there much in the way of overtaking last year?
end of that main straight i think there was

perez done kimi, though it wasnt worth Kimi's while defending. he had a 5 second penalty and Perez didnt let him get that far ahead.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1453 on: June 19, 2017, 04:05:17 pm »
I think the consensus is Baku could favour the Mercs with the long straight, but also the right angle corners, then straights that require good power delivery, which is Mercedes' strength. But, its likely to be very tight between them and Ferrari.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1454 on: June 19, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »
I think the consensus is Baku could favour the Mercs with the long straight, but also the right angle corners, then straights that require good power delivery, which is Mercedes' strength. But, its likely to be very tight between them and Ferrari.
I had no idea we had a Lego(s) thread until today but I was even more surprised to learn you don't post in there.

The world is a fucked up place man! ;D

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1455 on: June 19, 2017, 04:13:26 pm »
I had no idea we had a Lego(s) thread until today but I was even more surprised to learn you don't post in there.

The world is a fucked up place man! ;D

Hah, yeah its not very active so I keep forgetting its there to be honest.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1456 on: June 19, 2017, 04:14:38 pm »
Hah, yeah its not very active so I keep forgetting its there to be honest.
It would be more active if you championed it buddy :boxhead

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1457 on: June 19, 2017, 04:17:01 pm »
It would be more active if you championed it buddy :boxhead

Hah, very true ;D

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1458 on: June 20, 2017, 11:13:32 am »

Its a tough one to call, there is a very long straight, but also quite a few slow corners which seem to favour Ferrari. Plus its a street circuit, and Mercedes have come unstuck at a few of them over the year where they have failed to get the car/tyres working properly.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1459 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:42 am »
Its a tough one to call, there is a very long straight, but also quite a few slow corners which seem to favour Ferrari. Plus its a street circuit, and Mercedes have come unstuck at a few of them over the year where they have failed to get the car/tyres working properly.

Hamilton said he'd made a lot of progress about how the Mercs can now switch the tyres on, so this will be the test I guess. Last year he shouldve dominated, was miles faster than anyone in every practice session until he made all those mistakes in Q3, so hopefully he has a better weekend.

Offline kaliberbeats

• Main Stander
« Reply #1460 on: June 20, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »
I think Baku will come down to reliability between the Mercs and Ferrari. It's a track that suits them both this season. It's a pretty track but this will likely be as boring a race as Sochi  :(
I am the bodgers of Fantasy Football

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1461 on: June 20, 2017, 03:14:30 pm »
Baku was a horrible race last year.

Shockingly boring mundane track,but when a dictator human rights abuser gives F1 ownership a boat load of money every year then it's sadly going to be on the calendar every year.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:16:28 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kaliberbeats

• Main Stander
« Reply #1462 on: June 20, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »
There's a few tracks that need dropping from the schedule, Sochi, Baku and Singapore being 3. Monaco is just a car show too but at least it has history.
I am the bodgers of Fantasy Football

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1463 on: June 20, 2017, 03:38:39 pm »
Nobody stuck it in the wall at that really narrow part either. That would at least have been amusing.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: June 20, 2017, 03:45:24 pm »

I feel as though I've banished last years from my memories, it was that bad (and I only watched highlights!)

From what little I recall, I'm imagining it'll be a procession where final positions similarly match the qualification positions (barring any overtaking before the first corner)

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #1465 on: June 20, 2017, 03:46:36 pm »
There's a few tracks that need dropping from the schedule, Sochi, Baku and Singapore being 3. Monaco is just a car show too but at least it has history.
I wouldn't mind Monaco binned if I'm honest. But if someone had a free ticket I'd probably drag myself to it  ;D
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1466 on: June 20, 2017, 06:18:53 pm »
Nobody stuck it in the wall at that really narrow part either. That would at least have been amusing.
that would cause chaos

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1467 on: June 20, 2017, 06:38:35 pm »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1468 on: June 20, 2017, 07:51:12 pm »
exactly.
probably have to stop the race. I'd love to see how they'd sort it

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1469 on: June 21, 2017, 11:07:12 pm »
Monisha leaves sauber

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1470 on: June 22, 2017, 01:32:33 pm »
preparation pics are up on f1.com ahead of weekend

i take it this is the Honda upgrade McLaren are waiting on?

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1471 on: June 23, 2017, 11:01:40 am »
I feel as though I've banished last years from my memories, it was that bad (and I only watched highlights!)

From what little I recall, I'm imagining it'll be a procession where final positions similarly match the qualification positions (barring any overtaking before the first corner)

I cant remember last years race to be honest, but I would hope that the length of the main straight that there would be some overtaking, if you cant slip stream/DRS someone on that then we might as well give up on overtaking!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1472 on: June 23, 2017, 12:21:12 pm »
Do the drivers hit the rev limiter with these newer engines? Certainly a couple of years ago hugely long straight didn't aid overtaking because you get to a point where you hit the rev limiter and the benefit of a slipstream and DRS was minimal because the engine is already on the limit

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1473 on: June 23, 2017, 02:41:29 pm »
I think they still do, not sure but  i think i did notice it this season

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1474 on: June 23, 2017, 03:10:42 pm »
Alonso's McLaren had a new engine, new turbo, new MGU-H and MGU-K.

Aaaaaaand its gone.

Managed 200km.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1475 on: June 23, 2017, 03:15:13 pm »
Alonso's McLaren had a new engine, new turbo, new MGU-H and MGU-K.

Aaaaaaand its gone.

Managed 200km.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1476 on: June 23, 2017, 03:30:24 pm »
I hit the wall

No shit

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1477 on: June 23, 2017, 04:03:57 pm »
Have to admit, I've had zero interest in F1 this season and barely watched any last year - which when I think about it is sad, as I've almost watched every practice, qualifying and race possible in the last 25 years.

Are there any changes on the horizon that would spice it up and make it more interesting?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Juneau

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1478 on: June 24, 2017, 02:30:40 pm »
Jeeezzz! Massa just had about five corners in a row where he's nearly stacked it into the wall haha. Somehow he held on and avoided every one!

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #1479 on: June 24, 2017, 02:57:13 pm »
Woah, red flag. That throws a spanner in the works.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now