Author Topic: Jo Cox, Labour MP for Batley and Spen, murdered  (Read 41959 times)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
Re: Jo Cox, Labour MP for Batley and Spen, murdered
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2016, 06:40:50 pm »
I know there is a temptation to cast blame, but I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate at the moment.

Not the time or the place, just a matter of respect for her poor family.

Could we do the blaming later please?

You know what, I know you're right and I hate seeing anyone's death be used for political point scoring. But I'm struggling with this news. Something like this has been coming, it's a direct result of the politics of hate and fear that has been peddled for the last few years. As has already been said, this wasn't a random act of violence, this was a premeditated, politically motivated attack.

I won't say anymore because I'm feeling too angry to discuss this in a coherent way, so I will leave it for now.

All I will say is RIP and condolences to her family.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2016, 06:45:26 pm »
You know what, I know you're right and I hate seeing anyone's death be used for political point scoring. But I'm struggling with this news. Something like this has been coming, it's a direct result of the politics of hate and fear that has been peddled for the last few years. As has already been said, this wasn't a random act of violence, this was a premeditated, politically motivated attack.

I won't say anymore because I'm feeling too angry to discuss this in a coherent way, so I will leave it for now.

All I will say is RIP and condolences to her family.

All I'll say is I know how you feel mate.
Just angry and feel quite sick right now hearing about this on the news from eye witnesses.

What do these vile people hope to achieve by such attacks? Apart from a devastating a family.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline martinf

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool FC is my religion, Anfield is my church
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2016, 06:47:58 pm »
Horrible act. Hate and fear and intolerance leads to acts like this.
A Liverbird upon my chest

JFT96 - We have the Truth, now give the 96 Justice and bring those responsible to account for their actions.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2016, 06:48:37 pm »
Am the same. just getting more angry and upset the more I hear about that poor girl.
This country lost something today. It's innocence or something, just awful.

It feels like a line has been crossed here in a national sense. I'm going for a very long walk.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2016, 06:50:05 pm »
Sickening news.

RIP.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2016, 06:57:11 pm »
This is sickening, depressing and fucking wrong.
Fucking uncivilised.
RIP.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2016, 06:58:55 pm »
Regardless of political views, no one deserves to lose their life when they are simply going about their business doing their job. I dearly hope that this was not a pre-meditated political attack, and is just the act of a disturbed individual. Hopefully the facts will make themselves known over the coming days and weeks.

What an appalling thing to happen, absolutely awful.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2016, 06:59:03 pm »
Terrible, terrible news. I am so sad for her family. May she rest in peace.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2016, 07:02:05 pm »
The act of those who wish others to live in fear and so give them free rein to peddle violence and hate. Because there is not political argument they can make that they can win this is what they resort to, regardless of whether it is one person acting alone or representing a group, not matter how marginalized or maligned.

RIP Jo   :'(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
Unfathomable, just appalling and tragic loss of life. Absolutely sickening. Truly shocking news.

Thoughts with her family.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2016, 07:06:16 pm »
The Guardian view on Jo Cox: an attack on humanity, idealism and democracy

Editorial

The MP assassinated on the street embodied decency and a commitment to all that humanity has in common. What a contrast with her assailant and so much that is rotten in politics

The slide from civilisation to barbarism is shorter than we might like to imagine. Every violent crime taints the ideal of an orderly society, but when that crime is committed against the people who are peacefully selected to write the rules, then the affront is that much more profound.

The assassination, by stabbing and repeated shooting in the street, of Jo Cox is, in the first instance, an exceptionally heinous villainy, as the killing of a mother of young children is bound to be. It is also, however, and in a very real sense, an attack on democracy. Here was the MP whom the citizens of Batley and Spen had entrusted to represent them, fresh from conducting her duty to solve the practical problems of those same citizens in a constituency surgery. To single her out, at this time and in this place, is to turn a gun on every value of which decent Britons are justifiably proud.

Jo Cox, however, was not just any MP doing her duty. She was also an MP who was driven by an ideal. She explained what that was as eloquently as anyone could in her maiden speech last year. “Our communities have been deeply enhanced by immigration,” the new member said, “be it of Irish Catholics across the constituency or of Muslims from Gujarat in India or from Pakistan, principally from Kashmir. While we celebrate our diversity, what surprises me time and time again as I travel ​around the constituency is that we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.”

What nobler vision can there be than that of a society where people can be comfortable in their difference? And what more fundamental tenet of decency is there than to put first and to cherish all that which makes us human, as opposed to what divides one group from another? These are ideals which are often maligned when they are described as multiculturalism, but they are precious nonetheless. They are the ideals which led Ms Cox to campaign tirelessly for the brutalised and displaced people of Syria, and – the most painful thought – ideals for which she may have died.

This was no random event, and the police are investigating reports that the assailant yelled “Britain First” during the attack. This is not merely a chauvinist taunt, but the name of a far-right political party, whose candidate for City Hall turned his back in disgust on Sadiq Khan at the count, in sectarian rage at a great cosmopolitan city’s decision to make a Muslim mayor. The thuggish outfit denounced Ms Cox’s murder, as it was bound to do. But their brand of angry blame-mongering could very well serve to convince particular individuals, who may already be close to the edge, that some people are less than human, and thus fair game for attack. And all the more so at a time when divisive hate-mongering is seeping into the mainstream.

On Wednesday, Nigel Frottage unveiled a poster of unprecedented repugnance. The backdrop was a long and thronging line of displaced people in flight. The message: “The EU has failed us all.” The headline: “Breaking point.” The time for imagining that the Europhobes can be engaged on the basis of facts – such as the reality that a refugee crisis that started in Syria and north Africa can hardly be blamed on the EU, or the inconvenient detail that obligations under the refugee convention do not depend on EU membership – has passed. One might have still hoped, however, that even merchants of post-truth politics might hold back from the sort of entirely post-moral politics that is involved in taking the great humanitarian crisis of our time, and then whipping up hostility to the victims as a means of chivvying voters into turning their backs on the world.

The idealism of Ms Cox was the very antithesis of such brutal cynicism. Honour her memory. Because the values and the commitment that she embodied are all that we have to keep barbarism at bay.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/16/the-guardian-view-on-jo-cox-an-attack-on-humanity-idealism-and-democracy?CMP=twt_gu
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2016, 07:07:32 pm »
Assassinated... That's the right word isn't it.

I hadn't really though about it until I saw that article.  Assassinated, in Britain..... How?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:22:46 pm by Kinky Kenneth »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 07:07:40 pm »
worst part is, the world is so SICK right now, nothing is certain, the way this is presented, who knows what is real anymore...

RIP.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2016, 07:09:06 pm »
worst part is, the world is so SICK right now, nothing is certain, the way this is presented, who knows what is real anymore...

RIP.

Without wanting to send the thread off topic, it's quite easy to know what's real. Jo Cox knew what was real and what was important.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2016, 07:09:43 pm »
That interview Frottage did last month is ringing in my ears.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2016, 07:10:56 pm »
Did she intervene in something or was she targeted? The sickening outcome is the same, but the circumstances may be different to what we think so far.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2016, 07:13:09 pm »
Did she intervene in something or was she targeted? The sickening outcome is the same, but the circumstances may be different to what we think so far.

Conflicting reports from witnesses interviewed by the press.  One said she was targeted and the guy was waiting for her, while another said she was intervening in a scuffle. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2016, 07:14:30 pm »
Without wanting to send the thread off topic, it's quite easy to know what's real. Jo Cox knew what was real and what was important.

i don´t want to, i just can´t understand all the hate between people in world right now.. that can lead to something so horrible as this...

so sorry for her family.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2016, 07:14:52 pm »
Very fucking angry right now.

RIP Jo Cox 

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2016, 07:17:16 pm »
There are no words, I worry for the future of this country.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2016, 07:18:14 pm »
Very fucking angry right now.

RIP Jo Cox 
I understand why.  But reading about her, it's very clear that anger is the very last thing she would have wanted. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2016, 07:18:56 pm »

I hasn't really though about it until I saw that article.  Assassinated, in Britain..... How?
True. You just wouldn't think it could happen.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »

I hadn't really though about it until I saw that article.  Assassinated, in Britain..... How?

I'm completely staggered by it, utterly devastated - that's not the Britain I proudly served in the Armed Forced of.  You'd think 10 years this side of the pond would have desensitized me to things like this.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2016, 07:30:28 pm »
I can't bear this country anymore. I just can't bear it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2016, 07:31:25 pm »
it will get better, it will.
W

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2016, 07:40:06 pm »

This could happen almost anywhere, there's plenty of psychos all around the planet capable of this.

Horrific act, absolute shithouse c*nt who has done this.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2016, 07:49:10 pm »

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2016, 07:51:09 pm »
it will get better, it will.
I wish I could believe that. The world is in a downward spiral and people who are being killed dont even know why theyre being killed.

I live about 10mins from where the murder took place. Birstall is known as a peaceful little town and many people know it because of the massive Ikea and Birstall Retail Park which has everything. But now people will remember it for this, it sickens me that something like this could.happen so close to home. It hit home for me because Jo Cox was a great person who came to my wedding and personally wished me the best. I hope her soul is at peace, she should not have died the way she did.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:54:46 pm by Fancy Pants Paolo »

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2016, 07:51:13 pm »
never been so sickened and angry to be from this country. What a hateful little island we are.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2016, 07:51:41 pm »

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2016, 07:51:48 pm »
RIP & YNWA

Such a tragic loss.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2016, 07:55:19 pm »

Time to reconsider the rhetoric around the referendum debate?

The rhetoric of the leave campaign, you mean.

I don't understand this pussyfooting around the blame question. Only one side here preaches hatred and fear of immigration.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2016, 07:57:44 pm »
Looks like they've deleted that article.

Shame, was a good starting point for a debate. Saying that, whilst noone could have predicted what happened, rhetoric and the atmosphere in the debate can have consequences. Talk of anger and don't be suprised if people get angry, talk of rage and don't be surprised if people become enraged. And talk of being under attack, or 'at breaking point', and don't be surprised if people break.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2016, 07:57:45 pm »

I don't understand this pussyfooting around the blame question. Only one side here preaches hatred and fear of immigration.

Don't turn this into another referendum thread.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2016, 07:59:27 pm »

As Claire says - not the time for it. We've locked the referendum thread.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2016, 08:01:12 pm »
Speechless.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2016, 08:01:17 pm »
Shocking to hear about this.

RIP.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online cdav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2016, 08:02:32 pm »
Don't turn this into another referendum thread.

Sorry, that was my fault. Hard to see it without looking through the prism of the referendum but you are right- not the time.

An extremely talented, caring and well liked person and MP has tragically lost been murdered, its a sad day for everyone concerned and our country.

Online Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2016, 08:10:43 pm »
So sad.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2016, 08:18:20 pm »
Looks like they've deleted that article.

It is up on The Spectator.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?