Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 179036 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sunderland
« Reply #80 on: October 9, 2015, 10:59:29 pm »
He'll prob keep them up, or if he can't then no-one can.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 9, 2015, 11:24:10 pm »
He'll prob keep them up, or if he can't then no-one can.

doesnt quite work that way, they do have a pretty shit squad. kinda wanna see them do good on account of Borini and Coates, but then again they've got Adam Johnson and Cattermole so..

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2015, 02:42:47 am »
He keeps clubs up is why he gets the jobs. In the Luddite world of British football his use of statistics makes in some respects more progressive than other British managers of recent years

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2015, 02:46:27 am »
From the BBC - Allardyce's managerial record:

TeamGamesWinDrawLossForAgainstWin %
Bolton22680668027530135.4
Newcastle21759273333.33
Blackburn762621298610834.21
West Ham11435285112915130.7
Total43714812016951759333.87

How does he keep getting jobs?

Because he'll do enough to keep them up. Won't take them any further but he's the man you call when you're absolutely desperate.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2015, 03:21:53 am »

Newcastle21759273333.33

What's his record of keeping teams up vs relegated?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2015, 03:25:03 am »

Newcastle21759273333.33

Because he massively improved Bolton, Blackburn and west ham when he took over, and at least 2 of them probably rue the day he left

Big Sam is a very good manager for a team aiming to be a midtable prem club
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2015, 06:54:23 am »
Because he massively improved Bolton, Blackburn and west ham when he took over, and at least 2 of them probably rue the day he left

Big Sam is a very good manager for a team aiming to be a midtable prem club

Better win percentage than Hodgson.

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2015, 08:47:27 am »
Not just to keep you up, but to win a promotion as well (if needed). His teams might be boring, but I'd have him every day over Sherwood. The only one I can think of, who is just as good as Fat Sam in what he does best Is Tony Pulis.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2015, 09:55:21 am »
I think he's better than Pulis. Pulis has a clear ceiling of the top half of the table, Sam has at least challenged for European places.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2015, 10:01:25 am »
He's a pretty good manager (and his is pretty good news for Twitter). He did a great job at Bolton where he spent most of his playing career so i respect him for that. Twat when it comes to interviews though.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2015, 10:40:54 am »
Looking forward to him out-tacticing Chelsea again. Maybe Mourinho will be cracking up for good this time...

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2015, 12:48:36 pm »
Don't get why Allardyce is often ridiculed. Nobody is suggesting he's Guardiola but for the teams who appoint him survival is everything, and he's proven to be pretty strong at that.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2015, 01:46:03 pm »
I think he's better than Pulis. Pulis has a clear ceiling of the top half of the table, Sam has at least challenged for European places.
Some of his last Bolton teams were very good...probably the worse decision he made, footballing wise, was to leave that situation. Or maybe it was as far as it could have gone.

Good Coach...would be very surprised if sunderland aren't mid table come the end of the season.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2015, 01:47:03 pm »
Good choice for Sunderland, not so sure it is a good choice for Big Sam given the lack of quality in the Sunderland squad and how many managers have been brought down by the toxic dressing room.

Well he made Bolton an established, good to watch Prem side, didn't do well at Newcastle, kept Blackburn as a decent Prem side after the club had a difficult time, got West Ham promoted and established in the Prem. So Why would struggling clubs want him? ;) He is a manager who has limits and too high an opinion of himself but he is a good mid-table manager.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:55:43 pm by MagicHat »

Offline Number23

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2015, 02:43:37 pm »
Good choice for Sunderland, not so sure it is a good choice for Big Sam given the lack of quality in the Sunderland squad and how many managers have been brought down by the toxic dressing room.

Well he made Bolton an established, good to watch Prem side, didn't do well at Newcastle, kept Blackburn as a decent Prem side after the club had a difficult time, got West Ham promoted and established in the Prem. So Why would struggling clubs want him? ;) He is a manager who has limits and too high an opinion of himself but he is a good mid-table manager.
It'd an interesting view. Is it only the top 6 or so teams that target having a win percentage near the 50% mark?
Death by football [Rodgers] said. Well and truly achieved. Now please leave.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2015, 02:51:56 pm »
It'd an interesting view. Is it only the top 6 or so teams that target having a win percentage near the 50% mark?

Without a doubt. 50% win = 57 points. So if you draw another half of the games left, you're on ~67 points which is probably 5th or 6th place
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2015, 03:28:48 pm »
It is probably his biggest challenge yet .Not only Sunderland squad pretty poor but he is going in mid season and will have to make do with players not exactly suited to his style .Will be interesting how he integrates the likes of Defoe and Borini into his rigid system .

Wonder if he will try to get Carroll on loan from West Ham in January .And if that happens wonder how Newcastle will react to that.

Happy for Coates though .Will suit Big Sam style of defending perfectly and hopefully shines through

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2015, 04:09:52 pm »
Very good coach for them.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2015, 04:12:05 pm »
It is probably his biggest challenge yet .Not only Sunderland squad pretty poor but he is going in mid season and will have to make do with players not exactly suited to his style .Will be interesting how he integrates the likes of Defoe and Borini into his rigid system .

Wonder if he will try to get Carroll on loan from West Ham in January .And if that happens wonder how Newcastle will react to that.

Happy for Coates though .Will suit Big Sam style of defending perfectly and hopefully shines through

Ill be amazed if Coates does end up playing much. He is awful.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2015, 04:25:01 pm »
Ill be amazed if Coates does end up playing much. He is awful.
He did look good at the end of last season when Advocate adopted park the bus strategy  .One of the key factor in their relegation saving run in the final few games

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2015, 05:01:44 pm »
He did look good at the end of last season when Advocate adopted park the bus strategy  .One of the key factor in their relegation saving run in the final few games
by end of last season do you mean like 2 or 3 games then people on here claimed we never should have gotten rid?

The guy is horrible. Was terrible last season as well which he why he couldn't get a game. The sunderland fans think he is shite as well.

Sadly he just didn't continue his development and has stagnated massively.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:03:26 pm by stevensr123 »
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2015, 05:06:26 pm »

by end of last season do you mean like 2 or 3 games then people on here claimed we never should have gotten rid?

The guy is horrible. Was terrible last season as well which he why he couldn't get a game. The sunderland fans think he is shite as well.

Yeah the last 4-5 games including Arsenal away .

The other Sunderland CB options are Kaboul O'Shea and Wes Brown .Frankly he is a much better option than all of them .

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2015, 05:08:45 pm »
Remember how hard he made Bolton to beat?, and with very little money, he's a Ferguson lackey shitehouse, but he's very effective at making teams difficult to beat, he failed at Newcastle and Blackburn as he was expected to provide more than just survival.

Sunderland will be a much tougher proposition with him at the helm.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2015, 06:16:23 pm »
Some of his last Bolton teams were very good...probably the worse decision he made, footballing wise, was to leave that situation. Or maybe it was as far as it could have gone.

Given their massively indebted finances he probably took Bolton as far as he could. His biggest long-term issue is going to be getting rid of some of the toxic characters at Sunderland.. Doing that might eliminate some of the drinking culture there

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2015, 06:34:53 pm »
The most shocking thing for me about Sunderland, is that they have the 8th highest wage bill in the league, when you consider the "wage bill = league position" stuff that's incredibly shocking. And when you realise how shite their entire squad is!

Listening to the Guardian football weekly show this week, they were suggesting there's a real "drinking and smoking" problem in the dressing room, and that lots of the senior players at the club have awful attitudes and pretty much run the place and spread that to everybody else.

Sam has a huge job there, Di Canio tried to change their ways and couldn't do it, Poyet tried and couldn't do it, Dick the "Grandfather figure" couldn't do it. Not sure what Sam could do, they can't exactly sell most of them off either

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2015, 07:14:29 pm »

I'm not sure how many chairman look at win percentages in all honesty. More what has prospective manager done in terms of league finishes/trophies, does style suit, does he suit club and players we have, can I afford him. I think Crosby is right in that the 50% is for 5/6th place

The only straw I can give Big Sam being able to change the culture is by reputation in England might force players ideas to buck up. It is clutching at straws though

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2015, 10:34:27 am »
Sam Alladrayce is a twat of person. And not much of a manager either. No hate for Sunderland but with Sam there, I would not be wishing them well. Not to mention that they are already in a shitty position
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2015, 10:45:40 am »

Yeah the last 4-5 games including Arsenal away .

The other Sunderland CB options are Kaboul O'Shea and Wes Brown .Frankly he is a much better option than all of them .

Speaks volumes that he's struggling to cement himself in a side if they are his competition.

Just like Suso, Pacheco, Nemeth and the rest - we got rid because he wasn't good enough.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
Sam Alladrayce is a twat of person. And not much of a manager either. No hate for Sunderland but with Sam there, I would not be wishing them well. Not to mention that they are already in a shitty position

Saw the story about his opinions on Wenger on the Guardian site, then saw it referencing his autobiograpy which is being serialised in the s*n.

Couldn't agree more.

Online mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2015, 11:24:52 am »
From the outside looking in I do wonder whether Sunderland would actually benefit long term by getting relegated and clearing our the dead wood as it were. It seems every season they desperately cling onto survival while making constant short term decisions bringing in older players on long contracts. If its true their wage billis the 8th highest in the premier league more than just the manager needed sacking at that club.

Sam Allardyce is an excellent manager for me who has a specific skill set of keeping teams int he premier league and establishing them so I can see why Sunderland wanted him on board but I do wonder if he has bitten off more than he can chew with this squad.

Looking in a little more detail Pantilimon seems a decent keeper so that's a positive for them. If you look defensively even with Allardyce parking the bus they have Kaboul who's a liability and always injured, Coates who for me has looked terrible bar one game against Arsenal last season. Oshea who is 34 now and Wes Brown who's 36 and constantly injured. There left back is also a liability defensively. Even if he organises them and makes them difficult to beat will Defoe  (33yrs old), Fletcher and Graham score enough goals.

If he manages to keep these lot up for me it will be one of his biggest achievements in football cause the squad is terrible plus there's something rotten at Sunderland. At some point it stops being the managers fault and the players need to take responsibility. They have had Bruce, O'Neil, Di Canio, Poyet, Advocatt and now Allardyce since 2011. Crazy amount of managers in such a short space of time.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2015, 11:46:31 am »
Saw the story about his opinions on Wenger on the Guardian site, then saw it referencing his autobiograpy which is being serialised in the s*n.

Couldn't agree more.

Sam Allardyce in 'bitter and twisted' shock. Could have managed Real Madrid, but who did they appoint instead ;)

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2015, 11:58:58 am »
Slags off Rafa as well because "he thought he was superior to me".

Well, Sam, there's a reason for that....

(Won't post the link as it mentions the rag, but it's on the Telegraph's website).

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2015, 01:28:01 pm »
Had a nother pop at Rafa I see.  :lmao What a fat, bitter, blubbering mess. Don't usually mind Sunderland but please god they get relegated under him.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2015, 01:34:40 pm »
:lmao what a fat c*nt.

Rafa had nothing to do with winning the CL in 2005, he got lucky, it was all Gerrard.

Rafa is superior to you , you utter spunk dumpster.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2015, 01:36:18 pm »
What a fat twat of a man. A man with no grasp of how to behave respectful and humble to ones peers. I hope he chokes on some dog shite!

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2015, 08:58:53 pm »
bleugh the guy is beyond parody with those comments about Rafa. The guy was, is and always will be a giant s*n loving tit.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2015, 09:57:42 pm »
From the outside looking in I do wonder whether Sunderland would actually benefit long term by getting relegated and clearing our the dead wood as it were. It seems every season they desperately cling onto survival while making constant short term decisions bringing in older players on long contracts. If its true their wage billis the 8th highest in the premier league more than just the manager needed sacking at that club.

If ever a club needed a purge to be relegated, it's them. The likes of Villa and Newcastle are examples of teams that end up being poor due to injuries and inadequate investment over a prolonged period. Sunderland are a prime example, why a long-term plan is needed for any club. With their budget, they should be hanging around EL qualification positions like Swansea or Southampton, not hovering around relegation and buying up tons of past it crap with a managerial merry-go-round

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2015, 08:59:21 am »
The couple of things I've seen about Aladyce's book have a strong whiff of Partridge..."needless to say, I had the last laugh".

All a bit pathetic. 

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2015, 09:27:50 am »
Kevin Nolan and Jussi Jaskelinen seen buying houses in Sunderland

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2015, 10:13:32 am »
Glad Sunderland fans have to listen to his over blown love of himself

I'll always say he did a good job in the main at West Ham but his time was up & he knew it as well.

He's a decent manager but if he was so great why aren't clubs like Liverpool looking at him when they need a manager .

He's stories always seem small time like look at me I beat Arsenal & got up Wengers nose , where as Wengers thinking who gives a shit look at what I've won & sustained

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.