Author Topic: The Grand Tour - Clarkson, Hammond and May  (Read 26504 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Grand Tour - Clarkson, Hammond and May
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 06:34:32 pm »
Too early to tell - the BBC will have to stump up some cash to get Top Gear up to the production level that this new show has.

Thing is, the BBC had a lot of domestic deals going on and even though this is Amazon, the BBC still hold the brand and foundations, so have the upper hand. Fairly sure they'll now pay top wedge for a new set of hosts and focus on UK whilst Clarkson and his posse chase the international market.

It may seem a simplistic view on it, but the new show is trying to appeal to fans of the original, as well as a new audience.

I thought the three of them looked like they'd aged a good five or so years... Clarkson looks like he's been smoking scag in Malaysia for a year, James May is gray and Hammond looks exactly the same... Which means that he's also badly aged five years himself.

Why would BBC throw money at it and then focus on the UK market? Surely the money comes in from the international side of things, which means if they are going to throw more money at it then will no doubt want this money to come flowing in.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 07:55:16 pm »
Why would BBC throw money at it and then focus on the UK market? Surely the money comes in from the international side of things, which means if they are going to throw more money at it then will no doubt want this money to come flowing in.

Because if the last series is anything to go by, Amazon won't have to do much to nib the zealots and get a new audience. I personally think GT is a bit weak and hammy, but so was Top Gear.

But if the 'reviewers' are to be believed (and Twitter), GT is getting better reviews already. The last Top Gear was a mess to be fair - Chris Evans went at it all wrong and Matt LeBlanc, whilst funny, looks as if he is just playing a part in a film (Which he kind of is).

We'll have to see what they do for the next series of Top Gear, but it is clear that a DJ and an Actor won't cut it.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 09:42:31 pm »
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 11:30:24 pm »
Because if the last series is anything to go by, Amazon won't have to do much to nib the zealots and get a new audience. I personally think GT is a bit weak and hammy, but so was Top Gear.

Most viewers won't view it as a one or the other though, especially as they'll not have to pay for Top Gear.

Just not sure why they'd throw more money at TG and aim it at a 8-10m audience when the international audience was said to be what, 500m or something silly like that?

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2016, 08:52:33 am »
Big Top Gear

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2016, 08:52:25 pm »
Don't know how anyone can stand watching Clarkson the prick. The only thing I could watch involving him would be a televised fight to the death with fellow Tory prick Piers Moron.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2016, 02:05:04 am »
episode 2 started off awesome with the vulcan the less said about the other bit the better!
choose Life.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2016, 04:56:57 am »
thought it was great to be honest, though, i had a few drinks in me when i watched it

Don't know how anyone can stand watching Clarkson the prick. The only thing I could watch involving him would be a televised fight to the death with fellow Tory prick Piers Moron.
Clarkson may be a knob, but it's mainly the chemistry between the 3 that makes the show
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2016, 05:26:39 am »

Clarkson may be a knob, but it's mainly the chemistry between the 3 that makes the show
I'd give up replying to them who just slate Clarkson it was the same in the old top gear thread.
choose Life.

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2016, 11:58:29 am »
Spoiler

There was hardly any "car" in the 2nd spisode.

There was the vulcan. And the S8. And thats it. And that special ops? It was funny at first. Then stopped being funny.

Disappointed to say the least.

[close]

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 12:09:51 pm »
Spoiler

There was the vulcan. And the S8. And thats it. And that special ops? It was funny at first. Then stopped being funny.

[close]

Totally agree. I kind of pottered off to do something on my pc at one point, just had it on in the background. Something is missing, not sure what.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2016, 12:24:57 pm »
I'd give up replying to them who just slate Clarkson it was the same in the old top gear thread.

Ok Jeremy

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2016, 11:26:06 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

My guess is the second half was someone coming up with the idea, everyone deciding it was fun, and going ahead with it even though it had nothing to do with cars. Aside from the premise being unfunny and tiring, it did look like those guys had a great time.

Must be nice messing around with special forces for a day on someone else's dime.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 10:04:03 am »
My guess is the second half was someone coming up with the idea, everyone deciding it was fun, and going ahead with it even though it had nothing to do with cars. Aside from the premise being unfunny and tiring, it did look like those guys had a great time.

Must be nice messing around with special forces for a day on someone else's dime.

But not the bbc licence fee payer now? Just the Amazon taxes that they havent paid?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2016, 03:42:35 pm »
But not the bbc licence fee payer now? Just the Amazon taxes that they havent paid?

See, everyone's happy.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 05:14:46 pm »
Really didnt think much of the second episode. The Vulcan bit was great, but everything else felt overly forced and too scripted, just fell flat for me.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 12:57:55 pm »
what the fuck was that.

gave up watching 15 minutes in, embarrassing.
cyas

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 02:54:22 pm »
Yep, The Aston was alright; the rest pretty woeful.  apart from the bloke who built that racing car from a scale 32 model - but he was ushered off sharpish, they had about 90 seconds with him!

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »
Aston part was really good. Thought I'd enjoy the 2nd part but just got cringe worthy after the first repetition.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2016, 09:03:12 pm »
Surely it would've been more enjoyable TV to see how the three got on trying the military exercise for real(or at least presented that way) rather than a scripted comedy sketch.

I don't really understand the approach. People love the three because of their chemistry and because it felt real. The jokes, the arguments, the failures etc. Of course it wasn't real but now it's not even trying to present them that way. Rather than three mates doing a car show it's like three actors playing roles. And it makes pretty naff TV.

I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
« Reply #61 on: December 2, 2016, 07:28:45 pm »
Much more like old Top Gear this week, great stuff.

It benefits massively from not having the celebrity bit aswell.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 2, 2016, 08:36:13 pm »
Infinitely better than the pile of shit the BBC produced with evans

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 3, 2016, 09:27:42 am »
Ep 3: Enjoyable, much improved from last week, but still feels a little forced and too obviously scripted. Its like theyre trying to find their feet again after starting up again, which is understandable I guess, the chemistry is obviously as good as ever, they just need to find their groove and not try and force it. Hoping for a good budget car adventure mission in another country style episode soon, the show always felt its best in those.

The celebrity joke has worn thin already, but I can accept it if it gets us out of watching a 15 minute interview segment. No American driving the car bit this week, which was nice.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 4, 2016, 02:18:47 am »
Loads better this week, that Rolls is a thing of beauty.
choose Life.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #65 on: December 4, 2016, 08:23:07 am »
Hammond's right, the Juke is shite.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 4, 2016, 10:37:56 pm »
Ep 3: Enjoyable, much improved from last week, but still feels a little forced and too obviously scripted. Its like theyre trying to find their feet again after starting up again, which is understandable I guess, the chemistry is obviously as good as ever, they just need to find their groove and not try and force it. Hoping for a good budget car adventure mission in another country style episode soon, the show always felt its best in those.

The celebrity joke has worn thin already, but I can accept it if it gets us out of watching a 15 minute interview segment. No American driving the car bit this week, which was nice.

So far, I like the fact that it is more of the same, but in each given week the format will change a bit, so it is not the same formula every week. Ep3 is the closest they have got to a Arctic/Botswana style special.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2016, 06:08:21 am »
Episode 4 was good, classic in parts bit meh in others.
choose Life.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2016, 01:53:31 pm »
It hasn't really blown me away yet to be honest, it's still rougher round the edges than I was expecting. For me the 'celebrity brain crash' thing just isn't working, the joke is already so old. The first one was good though, as I wasn't expecting it, I think they should have left it there.

I'm also not a fan of the way Clarkson is presented as a stand-up comedian, like a Michael McIntyre segment. I think its always at it's worst when there's so much scripted humour, they're presenters, not actors or comedians. That special forces bit was awful.

Saying that though if you liked Top gear you'll probably like this, I personally preferred it to the Evans Top Gear, which I didn't really enjoy at all.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2016, 06:07:51 pm »
Seems like just some tv show now, last two I've just had on in the background. Think it's needs something to focus on like the old track or special guests. Think I'd prefer just watching a big Christmas special instead of a lot of filler.

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2016, 07:24:08 pm »
Anyone have a link for episode 4? Thanks.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2016, 01:42:41 am »
This Dutch one is painful.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2016, 01:47:21 am »
Yeah this last one is shite. Tired as fuck. I don't recognise the version of the Netherlands they are talking about at all.

Also, someone needs to tell Jeremy that it's time to shave his head.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »
5th was good apart from the shit battleship bit, all 3 cars were shite tho to be honest would of been better if they picked their fav 2 door soft top or something.
choose Life.

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2016, 10:39:04 pm »
Overall it's relatively entertaining. It's much better than the post Clarkson Top Gear on BBC but The Grand Tour ins't a patch on the BBC Top Gear with Clarkson. But it took years, possibly decades to get the BBC Top Gear to where it ended.

TGT feels overly forced, scripted, wooden. The actual scenes in the cars are great, and the things they get upto, but in the stuido it's cringey. I personally found it borderline unwatchable and skipped most of the chat. They're ultimately not actors and it shows.

I'm well aware that the BBC Top Gear with Clarkson was scripted but it was genuinely funny at times, and didn't seem acted. In TGT it's like they're trying to be a comedy act, a show about them 3, with some car stuff added. It should be the opposite way around.

It's the first series, I expect more, and I expect it to get better.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2016, 11:42:19 pm »
Just started to watch the first episode already winding me up they are so up themselves.

Brexsit Britain for morons.

Lets do another fired joke hahaha so funny c*nts.

Turned the shit off don't give a fuck what happens in future ones.

Even more unbearable in this.

So fucking fake made for the feeble mined and Trump fans.

I'm sure he thinks it the bestest program in the world.

HaHaHa jokes about speeding...... total twats.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:06:44 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2016, 11:47:40 pm »
Just started to watch the first episode already winding me up they are so up themselves.

Brexsit Britain for morons.

Lets do another fired joke hahaha so funny c*nts.

Turned the shit off don't give a fuck what happens in future ones.

Even more unbearable in this.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2016, 04:49:06 pm »
The segment about Le mans ferrari p3 vs ford gt40 that May did in the 6th was great. 
choose Life.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2016, 10:47:44 am »
The segment about Le mans ferrari p3 vs ford gt40 that May did in the 6th was great. 

Best bit of the entire season, absolutely excellent.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2016, 12:09:10 am »
The ice cream comment was a bit beyond the line. Even for them