Author Topic: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.  (Read 52925 times)

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
Re: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.
« Reply #200 on: September 4, 2015, 03:13:20 pm »
Great read.

Domo Arigato, ‘Mr. Robot’: A Great Finale for the Show of the Summer

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/domo-arigato-mr-robot-a-great-finale-for-the-show-of-the-summer/
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #201 on: September 4, 2015, 05:55:51 pm »
Even better, Greenwald's podcast with Sam Esmail:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-andy-greenwald-podcast-mr-robot-creator-sam-esmail-on-the-shows-first-season/

Spoiler
Who do we think was at the door then?
[close]

More importantly,

Spoiler
[close]
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #202 on: September 5, 2015, 09:55:53 am »
hmmm... a dazzling and bewildering finale. the whole thing looked glorious and the music was good too, but still more style than substance. 

and the more he has to do, the clearer it becomes that the lead is really, really bad - even voiceovers are seemingly beyond him.  christian slater was the best thing in it, so i'm glad we haven't seen the last of him.  the swedish wife is intriguing too, and that CEO is terrifying.

Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #203 on: September 5, 2015, 04:35:57 pm »
hmmm... a dazzling and bewildering finale. the whole thing looked glorious and the music was good too, but still more style than substance. 

and the more he has to do, the clearer it becomes that the lead is really, really bad - even voiceovers are seemingly beyond him.  christian slater was the best thing in it, so i'm glad we haven't seen the last of him.  the swedish wife is intriguing too, and that CEO is terrifying.

Completely disagree with your opinion of Rami Malek's performance. I think he's been outstanding in a really demanding role. I don't even know what the criticisms of him could be. He's receiving near universal critical acclaim for his work on this show and it's honestly one of the toughest character portrayals I can remember in recent television history. He's the lead (which is tough enough on its own), but he's also playing a fractured personality, interacting with both real and imagined characters, and he's constantly breaking the fourth wall both physically and via VO (which is actually a much tougher narrative device than you give it credit for). I think he's nailed it and, like Sam Esmail has repeatedly said, the show just wouldn't work without his performance. He's been brilliant from start to finish. The only other actor I can think of who has a comparable task to his is Tatiana Maslany on Orphan Black. Malek will rightfully win some awards for this.

Agree about Slater's quality, though. He's been very good.
Justice For The 96

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #204 on: September 5, 2015, 04:48:25 pm »
Completely disagree with your opinion of Rami Malek's performance.

I think he just likes to criticise for the sake of being controversial. The lead makes the show.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 5, 2015, 10:22:31 pm »
Completely disagree with your opinion of Rami Malek's performance. I think he's been outstanding in a really demanding role. I don't even know what the criticisms of him could be. He's receiving near universal critical acclaim for his work on this show and it's honestly one of the toughest character portrayals I can remember in recent television history. He's the lead (which is tough enough on its own), but he's also playing a fractured personality, interacting with both real and imagined characters, and he's constantly breaking the fourth wall both physically and via VO (which is actually a much tougher narrative device than you give it credit for). I think he's nailed it and, like Sam Esmail has repeatedly said, the show just wouldn't work without his performance. He's been brilliant from start to finish. The only other actor I can think of who has a comparable task to his is Tatiana Maslany on Orphan Black. Malek will rightfully win some awards for this.

i just don't see it.  i agree it's a demanding role, but he plays everything he has to do in exactly the same way, and i don't find it engaging at all.  i haven't seen him on anything else, so i have no idea about his ability beyond this show, but i'm not impressed at all based on this showing. 

tatiana maslany is an odd case, as she can be very good, but her lead character is pretty awful too :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 6, 2015, 02:31:36 am »
I always thought that that an actor's role is to convince you of his particular role, or to make it believable. Whenever I see Malek in this, he often convinces me that he's a smart person, yet socially awkward, damaged and a bit mental. Must be just how he looks or something. Seems to me like he's doing a good job. He was good in The Pacific too.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: September 6, 2015, 09:09:45 am »
What happened to the drug addiction storyline? Sort of got cured half way through the season, never to be referenced again. Shot of real heroin, you'll be grand.

First half of the finale was good, back to what the pilot was like. Prefer the anticapitalist hacker angle to the hallucinations and 4th wall stuff. Maybe he could just get over craziness like he did drugs.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 6, 2015, 04:51:08 pm »
What happened to the drug addiction storyline? Sort of got cured half way through the season, never to be referenced again. Shot of real heroin, you'll be grand.

Spoiler
Wasn't the heroin taking only part of the hallucinations he had? It is TV so liberties and all that, but Elliott getting over those powerful withdrawals felt like a successful resolution to me. It does all tie together somewhat. Drug use and mental problems is a pretty common combination, in terms of self medication for sure. Think he had too much going on in the episodes after to throw that into the mix too.

The thing I thought was a little out of place during the series was the prison break and Shayla death. It was good drama and well done, as people said in here, but I don't know. I guess it'll pop up next season. Likewise, I'm sure drugs will be mentioned again, although they don't want to stomp over old ground too much.
[close]

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 7, 2015, 12:55:26 am »

This is I think the second or third time you've criticised the voice overs - what exactly is he doing wrong?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #210 on: September 7, 2015, 10:17:34 am »
Fairly underwhelming finale I thought, a bit too obtuse for its own good and smacked of renewal bait.......knock knock...who's there.....you'll find out in season 2
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #211 on: September 7, 2015, 10:55:01 am »
Fairly underwhelming finale I thought, a bit too obtuse for its own good and smacked of renewal bait.......knock knock...who's there.....you'll find out in season 2
I thought it was great, though it has left me with so many questions that I cannot decide whether i really loved it or not.

If Tyrell is dead, Joanna is essentially an outsider she would be starting from a very weak position in season two, though that doesn't seem likely.

Then considering Tyrell essentially lost Joanna and his job at the same time, considering Joanna & Philip Price both end the season powerfully. Is there a link between the two? Could she be his daughter perhaps? It 's probably not a coincidence that Tyrell is a hacker and put in such a high position by Philip at EvilCorp. Je just doesn't seem to have the nous to do what's required alone.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 7, 2015, 11:01:14 am »
Tyrell is also possibly the guy wearing the mask on the tv screen (not all the time but for the last episode, it might have been him)
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 7, 2015, 04:08:54 pm »
This is I think the second or third time you've criticised the voice overs - what exactly is he doing wrong?

it's purely subjective, but to me he sounds like a bored, nervous 10-year old reading at a school assembly.  and yes, i get the point is that the character is meant to have a certain anxious, childlike quality, but that's no excuse for such characterless acting.

everyone in the world disagrees, i get that.  just my point of view as it really took me out of the show while watching.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 7, 2015, 04:42:31 pm »
I didn't get it.
Spoiler
Did it all go fucking supernatural at the end?
[close]
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #215 on: September 7, 2015, 04:53:04 pm »
I didn't get it.
Spoiler
Did it all go fucking supernatural at the end?
[close]
No.

He's a heid the baw ;D Half of what you see is simply going on in his head, just for him and us so to speak.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 7, 2015, 06:03:24 pm »
I liked it a lot to start off with but at the end my enjoyment was seriously waning, although I looked forward to watching it.

I'm certainly not going to miss it like BB, Hannibal or GoT.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 7, 2015, 06:28:01 pm »
No.

He's a heid the baw ;D Half of what you see is simply going on in his head, just for him and us so to speak.
Yeah but the other hacker collective saw and met Christian Slater character. Did he exist? Must admit I might have skipped episode 9... Maybe it is all explained in that one.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #218 on: September 7, 2015, 07:03:48 pm »
Yeah but the other hacker collective saw and met Christian Slater character. Did he exist? Must admit I might have skipped episode 9... Maybe it is all explained in that one.
Spoiler
Elliot and Mr Robot are one and the same person. Two aspects of the same person interacting with the world in tandem.

In that scene did they both get greeted or was there only one greeting?

The visual representation and personality of "Mr Robot" is that of Elliot's dead dad.
[close]

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 7, 2015, 07:13:07 pm »

Elliot is an unreliable narrator, we see the show through the filter of his mind and you can't completely trust anything he sees or hears
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 7, 2015, 07:14:05 pm »
it's purely subjective, but to me he sounds like a bored, nervous 10-year old reading at a school assembly.  and yes, i get the point is that the character is meant to have a certain anxious, childlike quality, but that's no excuse for such characterless acting.

everyone in the world disagrees, i get that.  just my point of view as it really took me out of the show while watching.

Im with you watched the first two and found his bug eyed twitchiness annoying. I felt no warmth to him at all and therefore no urge to watch the rest of it. Got to nail the lead character otherwise  the whole thing falls short imo

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #221 on: September 7, 2015, 07:19:03 pm »
I liked it a lot to start off with

Same. It fell off.

It's alright and is better than 90% of the shite out there but as break out seasons go, it's behind many. Thought the finale was pretty shite personally.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 7, 2015, 07:20:27 pm »
Cheers for the explanations chaps.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #223 on: September 7, 2015, 09:25:43 pm »
Same. It fell off.

It's alright and is better than 90% of the shite out there but as break out seasons go, it's behind many. Thought the finale was pretty shite personally.

I thought it started off as a solid drama about your generic hacker type, then transcended over the course of the season to something special.

I wasn't blown over by the finale though, but as first seasons I can't think of many that match it for me.
:D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 8, 2015, 08:52:59 pm »
Thought it was great show. :wave

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2015, 02:45:08 am »
Totally brilliant I sure they have took clues for how the story lines develop from what people have said on social media.

When he looks at the camera and says but you have already guessed that.

A total cut above the rest.

Cant wait for the next series.

Like I said before I'm sure they thought, what would it be like if Kubrick made a TV series 

Come on they even gave a nod to HAL.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:49:33 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2015, 09:04:04 pm »
Fucking love it! A mix of Dexter and Fight Club, what more do you want?!?!!

The music is class. Always find myself thinking, that sounds good, I wonder who its by?

Absolutely. I got proper goosebumps when I heard the Fight Club song (Where's my mind). And the song at the very end of epsiode 8, M83 - Gone, fit in so perfectly!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:29:15 pm by Zoomers »
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2015, 10:17:53 pm »
If Tyrell is dead.

I have a feeling he is dead and Elliot is the one that killed him. The reason I'm speculating this is because at the very end of episode 9, when Elliot shows Tyrell around the hacking room, Elliot ends the scene by staring at the popcorn machine which had the gun hidden in it through Darlene. This in my opinion is sort of a hint from the producer that he used the gun to kill Tyrell. Either that or I'm just an idiot over-speculating small shit  ;D.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:33:06 pm by Zoomers »
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2015, 06:58:26 am »
Fucking love it! A mix of Dexter and Fight Club, what more do you want?!?!!
more substance. ive watched five episodes. the bad guy is a joke. evil foreign american psycho type who beats up homeless people and his wife and is a closet homosexual? does he also torture animals in his spare time ?

first its about revolutionising society. then its about hacker boys' daddy issues, then its about revolutionising society again. when hes not saving all his female friends love life by stalking their SOs that is, or porking his fine ass drug dealer whos got a heart of gold. must be such a hard life being Neo an introverted hacker surrounded by babes.
oh, anyone else felt it was massively cringeworthy when they unveiled the 100% PC hacker cast of black guy, muslim girl and doughy white guy ? power rangers assemble!

has its moments, doesnt carry them. just my 2c
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:18:21 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2015, 09:53:51 am »
more substance. ive watched five episodes. the bad guy is a joke. evil foreign american psycho type who beats up homeless people and his wife and is a closet homosexual? does he also torture animals in his spare time ?

first its about revolutionising society. then its about hacker boys' daddy issues, then its about revolutionising society again. when hes not saving all his female friends love life by stalking their SOs that is, or porking his fine ass drug dealer whos got a heart of gold. must be such a hard life being Neo an introverted hacker surrounded by babes.
oh, anyone else felt it was massively cringeworthy when they unveiled the 100% PC hacker cast of black guy, muslim girl and doughy white guy ? power rangers assemble!

He's not a closet homosexual, he Just pretended to be in order to get into that guys house and hack his phone. Was to show he would do anything needed to succeed and get what he wants
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2015, 10:54:55 am »
He's not a closet homosexual, he Just pretended to be in order to get into that guys house and hack his phone. Was to show he would do anything needed to succeed and get what he wants

What was the whole point of hacking that guys phone anyway?
Football is a lie

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2015, 11:28:25 am »
What was the whole point of hacking that guys phone anyway?

I'll be honest I can't completely remember, but wasn't it something along the lines of wanting to get the inside track on the discussions for the open CTO job?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2015, 03:00:12 pm »

yeah ok, but thats even worse in way

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2015, 07:02:29 pm »

the whole F Society is the main plot, and then there are number of sub-plots. and honestly, the thing about the demographic of the others never crossed my mind
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2015, 11:36:26 pm »
oh and for those interested, the baddie speaks Swedish but his pregnant girlfriend speaks Danish.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2015, 02:52:08 am »
kept watching, and it did pick up, occasional cringeworthy moments but cant deny im intrigued.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2015, 04:13:14 pm »
after some comments in this thread, i watched the first ep of 'dexter' last night.  another of mr. robot's particularly heavy 'influences' becomes clear - and with a much better voice-over :)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2015, 06:26:48 pm »
after some comments in this thread, i watched the first ep of 'dexter' last night.  another of mr. robot's particularly heavy 'influences' becomes clear - and with a much better voice-over :)

First series is alright but to be honest I didn't finish the second season as it turned to absolute wank...most of the people I know who got all the way to the end of the show were mainly disappointed. I hope Mr Robot steers well clear as it is a far better show.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2015, 06:34:07 pm »
The first four seasons of Dexter are generally considered great, it does go downhill after that, although I enjoyed all of it barring the last fifteen minutes, that last quarter of an hour was a right kick in the nuts.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #239 on: September 28, 2015, 09:55:14 pm »
First 4 seasons of Dexter were superb, should have ended there.
:D