Author Topic: Malaysian passenger plane reportedly shot down.  (Read 62351 times)

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Malaysian passenger plane reportedly shot down.
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2014, 11:25:00 pm »
Looking at the numbers. It seems like it's major tragedy for the Dutch rather than Malaysia.

Looking at the numbers? It's a major tragedy for everyone.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2014, 11:26:20 pm »
Holy fucking shit.

I was just passively listening to sky in the background, thought it said '8' children. I was thinking only 8 children aboard a flight that size was a low number.

80 is absolutely awful  :'( (Not that 8 isnt, mind)

A school trip maybe?

Btw, just a warning to people - there are some fucking horrific images going around Twitter of bodies in the wreckage that are easy to come across without warning.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:34 pm »
Btw, just a warning to people - there are some fucking horrific images going around Twitter of bodies in the wreckage that are easy to come across without warning.

Yep, seen a few, one would be too much most.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2014, 11:30:08 pm »
WTF is a commercial airliner doing flying anywhere near a war zone?

A major failure of the airline and flight crew to protect its passengers moreso than any of the combatants.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2014, 11:30:28 pm »
6 Brits confirmed on board. BBC news.

I hate it when the media report this part as if it matters (to anyone apart from the poor families involved) as if the audience and people won't care about such a tragedy otherwise. As if the story needs to have some connection with people and fellow country people lost before it will get attention.

295 people died unnecessarily and that's all that matters, certainly not their nationalities/gender/beliefs/etc..., and regardless of where they come from it's an awful tragedy.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2014, 11:33:10 pm »

A major failure of the airline and flight crew to protect its passengers moreso than any of the combatants.

Not at all.  Commercial aircraft fly over conflict zones every hour of every day.  The route this particular aircraft was on is the most popular route used by major airlines when traversing European airspace and heading in the direction of SE Asia.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:35:43 pm by exiledintheUSA »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2014, 11:34:55 pm »

All the airliners were doing it, according to reports. It's a route which saves time and presumably money. At the end of the day its the fault of the people who were responsible, no one else.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2014, 11:35:03 pm »
I hate it when the media report this part as if it matters (to anyone apart from the poor families involved) as if the audience and people won't care about such a tragedy otherwise. As if the story needs to have some connection with people and fellow country people lost before it will get attention.

295 people died unnecessarily and that's all that matters, certainly not their nationalities/gender/beliefs/etc..., and regardless of where they come from it's an awful tragedy.

I think the point of how many from each country is being used to show the significance of the diplomatic incident this could cause with so many different nations affected by this.  I agree with your overall point though.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:58 pm »
I think the point of how many from each country is being used to show the significance of the diplomatic incident this could cause with so many different nations affected by this.  I agree with your overall point though.

This is pretty much spot-on.  Seems like the US is waiting with baited breath to see how many US nationals are on board and in some way whether it makes the option of retaliation a viable one.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2014, 11:37:45 pm »

To be honest they countries where the news broadcaster originate from are always going to highlight the amount of natives onboard. But there's nothing highlighting that on the front page of the Beeb, just the overall total death toll. Don't think anybody's putting one nationality over another here.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2014, 11:45:39 pm »

Unless its a military controlled no fly zone, which is enforced by an air force, its quite normal. Commercial jets fly too high and too fast to be hit by anything other than very sophisticated and expensive weapon systems.

These are meant to be local militia involved in a civil war, wouldn't expect they'd have the money or capabilities to carry out this sort of thing. Questions are rightly being asked about what the weapon was and where it came from.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2014, 11:47:16 pm »
Apparently, Putin and Obama were on the phone to each other when it actually went down.

Audio intercepts now coming through between Russian separatists and Russian intelligence on Skynews Australia

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BbyZYgSXdyw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BbyZYgSXdyw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2014, 11:48:29 pm »

You're no doubt right but when it happens each tragedy then it seems so damn disrespectful to the people who died when it seems very important for some of the media (read esp. tabloids) to report just how many Britons died. As if the fact 6 Britons lost their lives make it any worse, or that the other 289 who died matter less than them. Some of their headlines actually starting with number of British dead before mentioning the total dead.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2014, 11:48:39 pm »
Unless its a military controlled no fly zone, which is enforced by an air force, its quite normal. Commercial jets fly too high and too fast to be hit by anything other than very sophisticated and expensive weapon systems.

These are meant to be local militia involved in a civil war, wouldn't expect they'd have the money or capabilities to carry out this sort of thing. Questions are rightly being asked about what the weapon was and where it came from.

The fact that a missile system was that Far East in an area controlled by rebels sort of suggests only one possible source.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:59 pm »
To be honest they countries where the news broadcaster originate from are always going to highlight the amount of natives onboard. But there's nothing highlighting that on the front page of the Beeb, just the overall total death toll. Don't think anybody's putting one nationality over another here.

I didn't mean on here but just listening to news reports/seeing press headlines. Anyway, I'll shut up about it now.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2014, 11:51:23 pm »
Apparently, Putin and Obama were on the phone to each other when it actually went down.

Audio intercepts now coming through between Russian separatists and Russian intelligence on Skynews Australia

It's between seperatists, not seperatists and Russian intelligence. Helps nobody to throw about claims like that.

I didn't mean on here but just listening to news reports/seeing press headlines. Anyway, I'll shut up about it now.

Nah fair enough. You're right in that respect, just read over it too quickly to notice you were making a general point.

The fact that a missile system was that Far East in an area controlled by rebels sort of suggests only one possible source.

They 'captured' it ages ago.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:54:24 pm by El_Pistolero »

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2014, 11:53:00 pm »

It was the height more than the speed of the plane. Portable launchers are normally heat seekers IIRC and have a quite low ceiling. To get to an airliner or a fighter/bomber at altitude then you need both radar guidance to track something 6 miles up and a much more powerful missile to get there.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2014, 11:58:39 pm »
It's between seperatists, not seperatists and Russian intelligence. Helps nobody to throw about claims like that.

I was just reporting what the Telegraph & Guardian are stating. Audio is still unverified.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2014, 12:00:46 am »
Horrible, just horrible.
The type of news that makes you feel sick to your stomach.
Probably on the way back from holidays, too. :'(
May they rest in peace.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2014, 12:15:13 am »

If that's the airlines' reckoning, then I reckon they've just been proven wrong about the risk of going into this and other such areas.

All the airliners were doing it, according to reports. It's a route which saves time and presumably money. At the end of the day its the fault of the people who were responsible, no one else.

Because, as we all know, war fighting follows strict rules and fighting men are always sober and careful of who and what they are shooting at. /sarcasm

Hopefully a good sized lawsuit is coming from the bereaved and the airlines will learn not to endanger their passengers to save some time and fuel.

And just because everyone else is doing something, doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:19:02 am by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2014, 01:01:04 am »
Death toll up to 298 apparently, 3 more infants found

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2014, 01:22:45 am »
Just saw this. My only question is - why?
It's a civilian plane. No win situation. Nothing to gain. At all. Unless you want to make the conflict worse. I suspect that none of the sides Ukraine/Russia are stupid enough to order this. And therefore, my guess it's done by some lunatics who happened to have access to a very advanced type of missile. You don't bring out the normal gun to target a plane flying at 10 000 m. Which may make things even worse. How come these lunatics have access to that kind of weapon?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2014, 01:31:36 am »
Didn't they say 23 Americans earlier on?

Interfax, IIRC. Not all passengers have been counted, though.

Front page of the Mirror says 80 children thought to be on board. :(

The casualties haven been updated to 298. Three babies had no seat so they had not been counted.  :'(

A number of AIDS researchers and scientists were also on the plane.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:33:28 am by JongWK »
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2014, 01:34:42 am »
It's a civilian plane. No win situation. Nothing to gain. At all. Unless you want to make the conflict worse. I suspect that none of the sides Ukraine/Russia are stupid enough to order this. And therefore, my guess it's done by some lunatics who happened to have access to a very advanced type of missile. You don't bring out the normal gun to target a plane flying at 10 000 m. Which may make things even worse. How come these lunatics have access to that kind of weapon?

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Basically, these idiots got hold of this weapon(robbed I think) and thought it was a spy plane or something and shot it down. They wern't aware it was a civilian plane.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2014, 01:53:40 am »
Fucking idiocy of this. Thoughts with those who've lost loved ones.

Just on the transcript thing. It's from the Ukrainian secret service and they do claim that the first conversation of the three is between a rebel and a colonel in Russian intelligence. The Ukrainians have been quite insistent for quite a long time that Russia is arming and supporting the rebels. (see Kyiv Post's coverage).

Christian Science Monitor has a piece on the changing social media claims from the rebels. Stupid thing with the denials of even having the capability is that some of the planes they have been shooting down must therefore have been shot down by the Russians. Some Russian media outlets are suggesting that the Ukrainians did it because they thought Putin was on the plane.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2014, 02:18:59 am »

Just on the transcript thing. It's from the Ukrainian secret service and they do claim that the first conversation of the three is between a rebel and a colonel in Russian intelligence. The Ukrainians have been quite insistent for quite a long time that Russia is arming and supporting the rebels. (see Kyiv Post's coverage).

Christian Science Monitor has a piece on the changing social media claims from the rebels. Stupid thing with the denials of even having the capability is that some of the planes they have been shooting down must therefore have been shot down by the Russians. Some Russian media outlets are suggesting that the Ukrainians did it because they thought Putin was on the plane.

I'm very uneducated when It comes to the Russia/Ukraine debacle but my god, that would be something if it were true The Russians were arming the rebels.

Cause for war.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline TheoRacle

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC Supporter
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2014, 03:35:02 am »
And just because everyone else is doing something, doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.

Just at a rough guess that would probaly result in grounding 10-20% of the worlds airline traffic due to slot and traffic constraints given the amount of warzones currently operating in the world.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:36:49 am by TheoRacle »

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2014, 03:41:08 am »
Truly horrific.  RIP.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2014, 03:52:01 am »

russian media are full of propaganda... that kind of suggestion is idiotic. Their media is monitored, controlled and censored by Putin.

everyone with half a brain knows that russians did it, and everyone with half a brain knows that Putin is helping them

the only question is: how to stop that lunatic person?
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2014, 03:53:59 am »
I'm very uneducated when It comes to the Russia/Ukraine debacle but my god, that would be something if it were true The Russians were arming the rebels.

Cause for war.

It's a claim supported by the US State Department. NYT story. Beyond that, one for another thread I think (and one I'll steer clear of!). Just so needless really.

Flowers outside the Dutch embassy in Moscow. The note says 'Forgive Us'.

And outside the Dutch embassy in Kiev.

(pictures from twitter)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:56:52 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2014, 04:07:03 am »
That's some heavy gear. Not your standard rebel weaponry.

That's Red Square parade-level hardware
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2014, 04:07:33 am »

The seperatists have the Buk missile system, there's a few photos flying about of the vehicles they captured from the Ukrainian army and they've shot down a few Ukrainian aircraft.

Here's a report from a few days ago about the seperatists shooting down of Ukrainian An-26 Cargo aircraft.

There's even video of separatist vehicles moving about near the area of the crash site.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkgwxxhJlk4&amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wkgwxxhJlk4&amp;hl=en_US</a>

The logical chain of events is that they thought they were targeting another cargo aircraft and made a mistake. It's not the first time this type of thing has happened in war sadly.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:16:51 am by Suspect Package. »
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2014, 04:14:11 am »
c*nts
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2014, 04:19:56 am »
Rebels can shoot a plane down from cruising altitude can they? Would be very surprised. Horrible tragedy. I wish I had never seen some of the photos shown to me earlier. I don't believe in a god but I hope their families cope ok.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline TheoRacle

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC Supporter
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2014, 04:23:12 am »
The logical chain of events is that they thought they were targeting a military aircraft and made a mistake. It's not the first time it's happened sadly.

and probably underestimated the systems capability or just didnt have appropriate training in the targeting systems if there was actually a miltary transport in the area that they were intending to take out.

Cynic that I am, I still can't imagine a scenario where someone intended for this to happen.  Almost certainly incompentance in there somewhere.

Unfortunately 295 innocent people and their families bear the direct and unimaginable consequences not to mention the poor MAS employees who will inevitably lose their jobs now as a result of some idiot with an itchy trigger finger.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #196 on: July 18, 2014, 04:29:51 am »
and probably underestimated the systems capability or just didnt have appropriate training in the targeting systems if there was actually a miltary transport in the area that they were intending to take out.

Cynic that I am, I still can't imagine a scenario where someone intended for this to happen.  Almost certainly incompentance in there somewhere.

Unfortunately 295 innocent people and their families bear the direct and unimaginable consequences not to mention the poor MAS employees who will inevitably lose their jobs now as a result of some idiot with an itchy trigger finger.

Oh this was a criminal, evil act, and I'd like to see them rounded up and some "justice" come to the perpetrators. 

This was an airliner flying in a recognised air lane at it's normal altitude and I'm sure it was making IFF squawks as a civilian transponder. On the face of it, the decision to fly the route should have been safe.  But I too believe these people were just reckless and eager to shoot down what they assumed was a military aircraft.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:32:09 am by Suspect Package. »
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline edmundljs

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird upon my chest, JUSTICE!!!
« Reply #197 on: July 18, 2014, 04:33:02 am »
This world is fucked up. >:( :'(

Offline Justanotherfan

• Main Stander
  • Dorohedoro!
« Reply #198 on: July 18, 2014, 05:31:45 am »
Jesus Christ. Still can't believe it. I just pray that whoever responsible for this, directly or not so, is going to burn in hell.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #199 on: July 18, 2014, 05:47:32 am »
I'm trying to not read the reports on the ground, swallowing lumps in my throat while feeling the rage burning inside.

It's always the innocent who lose the most.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released