Author Topic: Happy Valley  (Read 21731 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: Happy Valley
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2016, 12:51:03 pm »
Ahh don't give the writers an excuse not to write another series for 10 yrs Titi :)
I know what you mean though but a bit too long to wait. no reason why he cant start getting into trouble as a youngster, rebelling or something.
Ha ha I don't mean we wait ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But writing in a 10 year gap when Sarah's no spring chicken and already being pushed to retire in the program wouldn't be simple. And then there would be the aging of actors and the need to change the actor playing the kid....

No easy thing that but without it we'd just be treading similar ground to the 2nd series which is possibly why Sarah has said she doesn't fancy another series and fancies something new.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2016, 12:51:24 pm »
And yes, me and Sarah are on first name terms now ;D :wave

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2016, 01:12:05 pm »

But writing in a 10 year gap when Sarah's no spring chicken and already being pushed to retire in the program wouldn't be simple. And then there would be the aging of actors and the need to change the actor playing the kid....

No easy thing that but without it we'd just be treading similar ground to the 2nd series which is possibly why Sarah has said she doesn't fancy another series and fancies something new.

I thought you might have meant that at first but was thinking the series is set in
the present time. so not sure they can zoom 10yrs ahead if a series was made next year.
Has Sarah said she doesn't fancy doing a new series,I hope not but can't blame after what shes been through. what a sh... week was the understatement of the year. :)
Am sure the series would suffer badly without her but the scripts are so powerful it's better than nothing.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »
No matter what your gender.

When he set off in his car and drove towards the train station I was screaming "It's a dead end mate!"

So.was I. And then she came out of the station and said "no idea why hes going up there, its a dead end"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2016, 11:58:27 pm »
Just watched it. Brilliant episode, brilliant series and brilliant Sarah Lancashire.

Spoiler
I mean just pick the starting scenes and the closing ones (include in there the scene where she visits Alison in the hospital) alone and you have an acting masterclass. And that doesn't include her interaction with the fraud teacher etc.

Loved the culmination with the Detective. No hyperbole, no jumping to conclusions just a logical sequence that ended up with another good scene filled with drama and humour.

[close]

Spoiler
The last scene for me was more about her wondering if the lad could end up like farmer boy, born of abusive circumstances, brought up as best as possible in the dark as to his true heritage, listing his dream list of dogs, which were all pretty much the strong, macho type dog, could he be a psycho in the making...
[close]

That was my understanding too.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2016, 05:18:14 pm »
Just binged through this in about 48 hours. Just brilliant.

With this and The Night Manager, aswell as Line of Duty starting next week, the BBC is really excelling in the drama department at the moment.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2016, 08:43:48 pm »
Just finished this series. Without a doubt the best British drama I've ever seen. Flawless.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2016, 11:12:00 pm »
a low-key ending after the explosive ending to the first series, but it still managed to match it.  it's a real compliment to all involved that the whole story unfolded pretty much completely predictably, but not a second or a word of dialogue was wasted.

Spoiler
that scene at the end, for example.  the boy listing dangerous dogs was both a cosy bit of family comedy and a chilling vision of the future.  genius.

similarly with suicide intervention scene. despite the tension i found myself laughing out loud when she asked him about the training "have you?" :lmao

sarah lancashire will rightly get all the plaudits, but the whole cast was excellent.  special shout out to the kid playing ryan.  he did a really good job.

let's hope that mirror article about series 3 was accurate...
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:21 am »
Not sure where it's come from, but my old man has said Sarah Lancashire has ruled out a third series?
@JonnYNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2016, 10:57:03 pm »
Not sure where it's come from, but my old man has said Sarah Lancashire has ruled out a third series?

She said in an interview a few weeks ago that she didn't want to do another series, but I think now there might be talk of one.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2016, 11:42:13 am »
Watched all episodes in a few days before Basel, couldn't stop.

Spoiler
I really liked the actor who played Lewis', and did feel sorry for the character, just I wanted it to be him who saved Ann.
Also I think the story line would have developed nicely if Kevin had been released from prison. Ashley was dead, and it was Kevin's word against Ashley's.
[close]

They could go back 8/9 years to when the daughter was around and involved with Tommy. It would be fascinating to see what their relationship was really like, and also the rest of the family, brother and Catherine's divorce.
But of course oldfordie would need a time-machine to watch that. :D

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2016, 01:51:38 pm »
Watched all episodes in a few days before Basel, couldn't stop.

Spoiler
I really liked the actor who played Lewis', and did feel sorry for the character, just I wanted it to be him who saved Ann.
Also I think the story line would have developed nicely if Kevin had been released from prison. Ashley was dead, and it was Kevin's word against Ashley's.
[close]

They could go back 8/9 years to when the daughter was around and involved with Tommy. It would be fascinating to see what their relationship was really like, and also the rest of the family, brother and Catherine's divorce.
But of course oldfordie would need a time-machine to watch that. :D
Don't need any time machine Shabby  :)
Episode 1 Tommy Lee charms her daughter but this doesn't fool Catherine, she  knows hes a baddy, Catherines husband tells her to keep out of it.
Episode 2 Catherine's daughter realises he's a nutter but too scared to end it, Catherine has done some digging and finds out Tommy Lee is dealing drugs.
Episode 3. Catherine's daughter want's to end the relationship  but he goes berserk and rapes her and says she will never get rid off him.
Episode 4. Catherine gets the Tommy Lee locked up for dealing drugs , her daughter tells Catherine she was raped by Tommy Lee and shes pregnant, she has the baby but she can't get over the trauma of being raped and the threat of the Tommy being in her life forever and tops herself.
Episode 5, everyone's pissed off.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:55:29 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2016, 08:38:05 pm »
Don't need any time machine Shabby  :)
Episode 1 Tommy Lee charms her daughter but this doesn't fool Catherine, she  knows hes a baddy, Catherines husband tells her to keep out of it.
Episode 2 Catherine's daughter realises he's a nutter but too scared to end it, Catherine has done some digging and finds out Tommy Lee is dealing drugs.
Episode 3. Catherine's daughter want's to end the relationship  but he goes berserk and rapes her and says she will never get rid off him.
Episode 4. Catherine gets the Tommy Lee locked up for dealing drugs , her daughter tells Catherine she was raped by Tommy Lee and shes pregnant, she has the baby but she can't get over the trauma of being raped and the threat of the Tommy being in her life forever and tops herself.
Episode 5, everyone's pissed off.
FFS ...Spoiler alert  :D

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2016, 10:04:23 pm »
FFS ...Spoiler alert  :D

rubbish... he hasn't revealed what happens in the final episode :P
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2016, 11:44:30 pm »
rubbish... he hasn't revealed what happens in the final episode :P
Sorry about that lads  :)
Spoiler
Episode 6  Everyone's still pissed, Catherine's husband does a runner, Catherines sisters husband also does a runner so she turns into a alcoholic.  final scene Catherine walks away saying," oh what a shit series this has been" 
Cheeky gits what do they want for nothing :)
[close]
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2016, 11:44:57 am »
BAFTA written all over it.  Who knew screenplays were so piss easy to write.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #176 on: June 7, 2016, 07:02:47 pm »

They could do one on the Koscielnys, or whatever those Croat baddies were called, that's what I was thinking. Possibly got the name wrong.

Anyway, I just watched both series. How fucking good is this?

Spoiler
I think someone mentioned just above me, but this is one of those crime thrillers where they aren't really breaking new ground plot-wise, but still manage to have you glued to your seat. It's all about the characters and just goes to show that you can tell a story about damned near anything (e.g. "The Detectorists") as long as you have the characters spot on. That first series where Sarah was knocked out and Ann was locked in the police car ... I was shitting bricks. It doesn't hurt that that Charlie Murphy is lovely as, but you're sitting there really desperate for her to be all right. Then the second series I kept thinking something was going to happen to her, like when the Scottish weirdo was outside next to the van spying on them in the garden.

I do think the first series was far superior to the second, but that's just the nature of these. When I first downloaded it I thought someone had said it was a comedy - I started watching and it wasn't very funny, so I took a couple of weeks, found out the truth and started watching again. Very happy I did.
[close]

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #177 on: June 8, 2016, 12:05:38 pm »
When I first downloaded it I thought someone had said it was a comedy - I started watching and it wasn't very funny, so I took a couple of weeks, found out the truth and started watching again. Very happy I did.[/spoiler]

;D

btw, I can see 1st season edging the second one as better but far superior? Nah. I thought both were really really good. I had fears for the second one but thought it maintained the quality throughout without losing any interest about the characters or to what's unfolding story wise.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 4, 2016, 01:52:51 pm »
« Last Edit: August 4, 2016, 02:47:06 pm by Titi Camara's Bald Head »

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2016, 07:18:49 pm »
According to local paper a 3rd series will be happening, just might take a while. Sally Wainright in Edinburgh answering a Russell T Davies question regarding the future of series.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #180 on: February 8, 2018, 01:42:51 pm »
Thanks.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #181 on: February 8, 2018, 02:02:56 pm »
Great news, love this programme. Sarah Lancashire is so good as well - as she was in Kiri that's just been on too.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 8, 2018, 02:07:38 pm »
Good news this.

Love the cheeky little sod Ryan. Hope its the same actor playing him as a teenager.

As for James Norton as Tommy Lee.  A man we love to hate.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 8, 2018, 02:49:08 pm »
... apparently they need Ryan to be a teenager to continue his story arc.

Hopefully it ends with him being killed. Annoying c*nt.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 8, 2018, 04:45:12 pm »
Hopefully it ends with him being killed. Annoying c*nt.

Ya miserable bastard :)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 8, 2018, 05:04:34 pm »
Jolly good. Awesome show, and Lancashire and Norton are great in it.

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2021, 12:38:34 pm »

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2021, 03:17:28 pm »

Great news. Can’t beat a gritty honest real life Yorkshire drama with tough as boots lady

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2021, 03:22:30 pm »
Fantastic news.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 5, 2022, 05:52:05 pm »
Final series starting on New Year's Day.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2022, 04:33:42 pm »
Off to the season 3 premiere in Halifax very shortly, I won't spoil it for you all!!!!!

Online sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 9, 2023, 12:18:25 am »
That last scene was just brilliant TV.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2023, 05:06:02 pm »
That last scene was just brilliant TV.

I really thought

Spoiler
her sister was going to turn round or there'd be a noise outside or something.

Unsure on the motive still other than they think Ryan deserves to know his father if he wants to.

I'm predicting that the P.E teacher is going to end up dead one way or another by the end of the series.

[close]
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2023, 10:15:01 pm »
Spoiler
Convinced that Neil is related to Tommy in some way. May even be his dad. There's no way he coincidentally bumped into Clare in the street that time.
[close]

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2023, 08:39:39 pm »
I can honestly remember Alan starting this thread in 2014 and not being interested at all for some reason. I'd never watched a single episode or glanced in this thread. Until early this week when a few good folk convinced me to go to S1 rather than start at S3. Completely sound advice.
Eight years later, S1 & 2 smashed, on to S3 with eager anticipation.

Superb stuff :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2023, 08:55:25 pm »
I can honestly remember Alan starting this thread in 2014 and not being interested at all for some reason. I'd never watched a single episode or glanced in this thread. Until early this week when a few good folk convinced me to go to S1 rather than start at S3. Completely sound advice.

Nice one John, that was quick! Have you watched the first two of Series 3 or can you not wait week to week now? :D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2023, 09:55:27 pm »
Nice one John, that was quick! Have you watched the first two of Series 3 or can you not wait week to week now? :D
I haven't decided what to do yet, fuck that old fashioned week-to-week shite though mate :)

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2023, 10:32:22 pm »

Exactly the same with me! Hadn’t paid this any attention until earlier this week when my wife persuaded me to watch series 1 & 2 then watch series 3 together.  Very glad I did. Superb TV and fantastic ensemble acting from an amazing cast. Script writing is excellent. Sarah Lancashire in particular is absolutely incredible. It’s viscerally exhausting to watch at times and god knows how she has the ability to carry the show with so much high emotion and yet still be absolutely credible as a seasoned police officer and struggling grandmother.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2023, 11:39:30 pm »
Sarah Lancashire in particular is absolutely incredible.
She really was the unexpected diamond for me, so impressive.
Been working like crap in my daughters house all day this week but smashed 12 episodes of an evening since Monday :) Zero footy watched at all!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2023, 09:38:26 pm »
Well that’s set us up for a massive last 2 episodes!!

So..

Spoiler
Tommy Lee kill Darius and in turn is killed by Catherine?

Tommy definitely doesn’t finish the story alive IMO
[close]