Author Topic: Nobby's Green Thread. A great party with great ideas. A great bunch of lads!  (Read 51794 times)

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
I think I will be voting Green in the upcoming European elections on May 22nd. I believe these elections use proportional representation, so none of that a Green vote is letting the Tories in stuff!

I don't want this thread to be just about the European elections though, more about the Green Party as a whole. I, like many others, am really disillusioned with Labour as they are too similar to the Tories in policy. I think some of the benefit sanctions and welfare cuts are very unfair and I disagree with the continuing privatisation of our public services - things that I do not believe Labour will stop at all. You can have a booming economy and a million millionaires all you want, but if someone has no money to live on for 6 months, that causes problems.

The Green Party seem to be the only viable alternative, although they are not of the size of the major 3 parties, I believe there is a real opportunity for them to grab a lot of the left-wing vote. Maybe they would need to focus on becoming more mainstream rather than their core environmental policies. However, I don't see any reason why they can't become more central and keep their core beliefs. They have some likeable personalities in Caroline Lucas, Natalie Bennett and also Alex Phillips (Roger Phillips' daughter).

Labour's rhetoric and ignorance toward major issues really annoys me at the moment and I am running out of alternatives.

Anyway, they're in the big time now, they've got a thread on RAWK!

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:49:53 pm by AA1122 »
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Green Party
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:35:25 am »
Just going to list off some of their policies:

• Turn the national minimum wage into a genuine living wage
  • Scrap the welfare cap
  • End factory farming and animal testing
  • Scrap university tuition fees
  • Stop the privatisation of our National Health Service and where possible reverse public service sell offs
  • Bring the railways back into public ownership

http://issuu.com/lifework/docs/minimaniissuu?e=7496317/7612527

What's not to like? It's a fucking crime that the BBC had given 27 appearances on Question Time instead to Nigel Frottage, instead to this genuine alternative.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:59:32 am »
Missus is definitely voting Green. I'm probably most of the way to doing the same. They were about 5k votes short of getting the seat the BNP got last time round in NW.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:17:16 am »
I'll be voting green, as will all my family again be voting green party.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:38 am »
I usually vote Green in the European elections myself. My family are very Labour, though, so they'll probably continue voting for them.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:51 am »
Represent the working man a lot more than labour do now. If they got half as much coverage from the BBC as UKIP, they'd walk the next election.
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 01:18:22 pm »
I've voted Greens and Lib Dems all of my voting life.
People say Greens is a wasted vote but bollocks to that....if all of the people who don't vote, voted Green this coming general election, they'd walk it.

It's a shame most people are asleep or politically unaware or apathetic.
Although I can at least understand the apathy.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 01:23:40 pm »
How will they funds all these policies?

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 01:33:27 pm »

Scrapping trident
Decriminalising Canabis and eventually legalising (raise revenues through taxation )
Clamp down on tax avoidance & evasion.

Just off the top of my head

I'm sure it'll be in here

http://greenparty.org.uk/values/

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:35:43 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »

• Scrap the welfare cap
  • Stop the privatisation of our National Health Service and where possible reverse public service sell offs

What's not to like? It's a fucking crime that the BBC had given 27 appearances on Question Time instead to Nigel Frottage, instead to this genuine alternative.

have they mentioned the cost of all that and where they will get the money from.

Edit...I like all those policies
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:51:04 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 02:34:46 pm »
I've voted Greens and Lib Dems all of my voting life.
People say Greens is a wasted vote but bollocks to that....if all of the people who don't vote, voted Green this coming general election, they'd walk it.

It's a shame most people are asleep or politically unaware or apathetic.
Although I can at least understand the apathy.

I understand the apathy.  "They're all as bad as eachother" bla bla bla.  I get that with the big three + Ukip.  But I genuinely believe The Greens could make a difference.  If they got the airtime to get other people onside, maybe there'd be less apathy?
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 07:29:16 pm »
I understand the apathy.  "They're all as bad as eachother" bla bla bla.  I get that with the big three + Ukip.  But I genuinely believe The Greens could make a difference.  If they got the airtime to get other people onside, maybe there'd be less apathy?

There's a reason they don't get the airtime though.
When you have about 7 corporations that own EVERYTHING...from the media to World Banks to food to telecommunications to to power companies, they have a vested interest to keep their guys in power.
All the big 3 get donations and funding from these companies.
The game is rigged.

The Greens are the answer and have only humanitarian and natural protection and values.
That is the reason they won't get in....ever.
Too many people stand to lose too much money.

The only way things will change in this country is with a revolution.
And if people are too apathetic too even vote, we don't have a hope in hell of a revolution.

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:02 pm »
Got some unsolicited spam mail through the door from these today on glossy paper, which I thought was somewhat strange.  I almost landfilled it rather than recycled, just to make a point.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 10:46:34 pm »

There's a reason they don't get the airtime though.
When you have about 7 corporations that own EVERYTHING...from the media to World Banks to food to telecommunications to to power companies, they have a vested interest to keep their guys in power.
All the big 3 get donations and funding from these companies.
The game is rigged.

The Greens are the answer and have only humanitarian and natural protection and values.
That is the reason they won't get in....ever.
Too many people stand to lose too much money.

The only way things will change in this country is with a revolution.
And if people are too apathetic too even vote, we don't have a hope in hell of a revolution.

Absolutely spot on mate. Red tie/blue tie. Democracy in this country is just an illusion. So many people can't see beyond the matrix though.

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 09:44:09 pm »

• Scrap the welfare cap

Well there seems to be an awful lot of good intentions without any actual plans for implementing their policies.

"Turn the national minimum wage into a genuine living wage"

Sounds nice and everything, but how are they planning to do that? Raising the minimum wage? How do you do that without having a knock on effect on cost of living/inflation? What about youth unemployment? Or those whose labour isn't worth the new minimum wage? Do we want them out of work forever?

"End factory farming and animal testing"

How are they going to achieve this? New laws? Also what knock on effect will this have on food prices? How will Britain cope with a booming population without factory farming? Ending animal testing has a whole raft of potential negative consequences also.

"Scrap university tuition fees"

A noble goal but who's going to pay for it?

"Stop the privatisation of our National Health Service and where possible reverse public service sell offs"

How exactly? They've been bought and paid for, they no longer belong to the government, either they force the taxpayer to pay for them to buy it back, or they steal it, neither solution is really going to be beneficial for anyone.

"Bring the railways back into public ownership"

Again, how? Is their really a strong enough argument for nationalization? It would increase public spending significantly and people seem to have forgotten what a debt laden mess British Rail was.

"Disarming Trident" (as mentioned by other poster)

Would strip Britain of it's nuclear deterrent, save only about £2bn a year, miniscule when compared to Britains deficit of £110 billion a year, and put 10,000 jobs at risk.

I fully agree with the legalization and taxation of marijuana (actually, all drugs) and clamping down on tax evasion.

Whilst I'm sure the Green Party and their voters have only good intentions for the British people, their policies seem pretty difficult to implement, and in some cases would be potentially very damaging.

Personally, I reckon a vote for the Greens is a wasted vote, especially if you are in opposition to the Tories, the Greens will draw almost no support from the right so unless they have a major breakthrough you are splitting the left wing vote.

I do think the greens have had very little media coverage though, especially compared to UKIP.

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 12:52:30 am »
Absolutely spot on mate. Red tie/blue tie. Democracy in this country is just an illusion. So many people can't see beyond the matrix though.

People aren't stupid, they just can't stomach the truth so they choose to believe in something more palatable.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 05:23:53 am »

Personally, I reckon a vote for the Greens is a wasted vote, especially if you are in opposition to the Tories, the Greens will draw almost no support from the right so unless they have a major breakthrough you are splitting the left wing vote.

I'd rather see the Greens as part of a coalition than an outright labour victory.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Online Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 09:49:49 am »

Splitting the left wing vote between who? Labour are a centrist party with neo-liberal values. The Green policies that you listed are true left wing policies, many of which the Labour party used to support and should still support.

On the details; the last Green general election manifesto was fully costed so should answer some of your questions. 

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 12:25:48 pm »
Green party support is surging – but the media prefer to talk about Ukip
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/20/green-party-support-media-ukip

Polling data hardly means a consistent thing from one party to another, does it? If you say you're going to vote BNP, it's like saying you're going to set fire to a pub. You'd have to get as far as the front door with a can of petrol before anybody would believe you.

A stated intention to vote Green, on the other hand, doesn't have the ring of merry threat or bravado; it has the ring of sober consideration. To test that theory, however, you would have to look at a result and compare it with a poll. This is made exceedingly difficult by the fact that the Greens are habitually called "other", lumping them together with the BNP, along with the more like-minded but factually incorrectly named Animals Count (animals cannot count) and the properly barmy Christian People's Alliance.

"Othering" actually has a sort-of specific meaning, in sociological terms, placing a person or a thing outside the scope of normality and acceptability. However, the meanings collide: when they put a political party in the "other" category, this "othering" is, by happenstance, the result.

Polls as a ranking tool are pretty boring. Maybe I'm being trivial and trying to turn psephology into Emmerdale, but I don't just want to see who wins and who loses; I want to see who wins from whose losses. In 2009 Labour was down nearly 7 percentage points (anybody who thinks they're unpopular now just has a very short memory), but those numbers weren't showing up in support for the Tories or Ukip, still less the Lib Dems, who were themselves down 1.2 percentage points (and people still liked Nick Clegg back then. Imagine!). The Greens, though, had picked up 2.4 percentage points, which, since it increased their vote share from under 6% to over 8%, was pretty significant.

However, you would have had to wait until the weekend after polling day to find that out.

This time around, the Greens are polling higher than at any point since 1989. Their share went from 3% to 8%, in a poll whose results were interpreted, by every paper apart from the Evening Standard, as testament to the fact that voters hate everybody (to put that in Westminster terms, it's a "war of the weak"). Imagine if Ukip's poll ratings had nearly tripled what manner of political flurry we would be in then. Imagine if the Lib Dems went below the Greens, which they very nearly have (in this same poll, they were on 9%); in a YouGov poll last week asking about voting intentions for the European elections, the Lib Dems were two points behind the Greens, who reached 12%.

Green candidates are not known for their readiness to despair: otherwise, they wouldn't be standing in the first place; they'd be growing marrows and practising skills for a post-oil age. Yet they are so baffled by the surge in support, on the one hand, and the complete lack of recognition or coverage on the other, that as Molly Scott Cato (prospective MEP for the South West) says: "I find it hard to believe myself that it really happened."

The Green party has changed: partly the personalities within it, partly in response to the changing world outside it. The last time its popularity was this great, it came with a message of imminent disaster; and hats off to it for getting support that way, because it's just about the most difficult route a party can take. Now, climate change has passed into the vernacular. Everybody, from the UN to the larger insurance companies, is saying how costly it's going to be – it is no longer a niche position to say we might have a problem.

At the same time, ideas that were mainly theoretical 25 years ago – solar and wind technology, community energy projects that could take whole towns off-grid – have become demonstrably workable. Half a million UK homes generate around half their energy from the sun. On a particularly windy morning last week, Germany was getting three-quarters of its power from renewables. The Greens have become the party of possibilities, not catastrophes (any party can do catastrophes).

The final factor is that the status quo is looking a lot more broken, with an oligopolistic energy market whose best offer is that it'll try not to bankrupt its customers, so long as the state is good for the shortfall, and a catastrophic housing market in which the exchange value of property has peeled away from the incomes of the people who have to live in it. The Green party's offer used to rely on dystopian foretelling on the one hand, in which we'd all fry otherwise, and utopian vision on the other, in which ideal state we would all cooperate and not compete. It used to look a bit ridiculous – but now, with the mainstream pretty much agreed about the frying, and cooperation between humans starting to look a lot less financially painful than relying on corporations to be humane, it is no wonder that the fortunes of the party are looking up.

What is a wonder is how resolutely the media ignores it. On Sunday Andrew Marr stepped back and marvelled that the Lib Dems are now fourth, behind Ukip, and didn't even mention that the Greens were joint fourth. Their successes go unrecorded. I don't think it's a conspiracy but rather a kind of constipated worldview: rogues can drop into the political terrain and be feted, because at least they'll liven it up a bit. But take a Green seriously and, before you know it, all your conversations have to change. This alternative, however – to ignore them and hope they'll go away – will leave the debate as desiccated and irrelevant as the institutions around which it revolves.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 01:08:38 pm »
Splitting the left wing vote between who? Labour are a centrist party with neo-liberal values. The Green policies that you listed are true left wing policies, many of which the Labour party used to support and should still support.

On the details; the last Green general election manifesto was fully costed so should answer some of your questions. 

Calling Labour centrist is kind. IMO they are right wing, just not as right wing as the Tories/UKIP.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 01:27:40 pm »
I'll be voting Green.  Closest thing we have to a genuine socialist party at the moment.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »
"Turn the national minimum wage into a genuine living wage"

Sounds nice and everything, but how are they planning to do that? Raising the minimum wage? How do you do that without having a knock on effect on cost of living/inflation? What about youth unemployment? Or those whose labour isn't worth the new minimum wage? Do we want them out of work forever?

First of all, everyone's labour is worth a living wage, that's just a reality human society will have to get used to without throwing faeces at a wall like a monkey having a tantrum.

And actually the Greens are rather keen on a basic income for every citizen, which goes above and beyond a 'living wage', and there is no evidence in all it's trials and pilot schemes that inflation goes up. I guess its one of those bullshit theories klepto-capitalists like everyone to think, so they can continue to pay a pittance to everyone.

In any case, this country's due some rent control and other anti-inflation measures especially in utilities, regardless of whether a living wage is to be enshrined in law.

"Stop the privatisation of our National Health Service and where possible reverse public service sell offs"

How exactly? They've been bought and paid for, they no longer belong to the government, either they force the taxpayer to pay for them to buy it back, or they steal it, neither solution is really going to be beneficial for anyone.

The NHS is more contracted off, we can simply wait for those to expire, and not renew them or auction off any more services in the meantime. And public opinion in this country is greatly FOR renationalisation of utilities and public services, with the understanding that to do so would cost an initial lump sum.

"Bring the railways back into public ownership"

Again, how? Is their really a strong enough argument for nationalization? It would increase public spending significantly and people seem to have forgotten what a debt laden mess British Rail was.

There is an undeniable case for renationalisation. We pay more in subsidies to rail companies than we got in selling off to them originally. Which means we essentially rent it back from them for higher the value of the original sale, and this is not including (ever increasing) fares the public pays direct.

Also, the state-run East Coast line is the most profitable and efficient franchise in the country. Which brings me on to how renationsalition here can be done, we simply wait for the franchises to expire, and don't renew them.

"Disarming Trident" (as mentioned by other poster)

Would strip Britain of it's nuclear deterrent, save only about £2bn a year, miniscule when compared to Britains deficit of £110 billion a year, and put 10,000 jobs at risk.

We don't need a nuclear deterrent, it's not 1968 anymore. And we'd save £2bn a year, as well as the £30bn+ cost of replacing trident. I imagine there's a better way of investing £32bn in the economy (if employment is a concern of yours) than nuclear programs that hire 10,000 people.

Whilst I'm sure the Green Party and their voters have only good intentions for the British people, their policies seem pretty difficult to implement, and in some cases would be potentially very damaging.

The fact that you came to that conclusion without waiting for any answers to your questions, or without any research on your part (that would render such questions obsolete), and indeed the manner and tone with which you posed your questions, is very telling.

EDIT: (Forgot about this one this first time around)
"Scrap university tuition fees"

A noble goal but who's going to pay for it?

It would be paid for by the state, obviously. And it will be the state who reaps the rewards as it gains a highly educated workforce out of the bargain, as a result of people of excellence from all backgrounds receiving the highest standard of education that they deserve on merit. It also means people who pass through higher education are not crippled with the debt they had to incur for decades out of their adult lives - the economic benefits of which surely I do not have to explain.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:44:34 pm by zebenzui »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 02:17:03 pm »
Count me in. I will be voting green
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 02:19:26 pm »

If someone sorted out tax avoidance by the extreme rich. Everyone would live in a better place.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »
First of all, everyone's labour is worth a living wage, that's just a reality human society will have to get used to without throwing faeces at a wall like a monkey having a tantrum.

And actually the Greens are rather keen on a basic income for every citizen, which goes above and beyond a 'living wage', and there is no evidence in all it's trials and pilot schemes that inflation goes up. I guess its one of those bullshit theories klepto-capitalists like everyone to think, so they can continue to pay a pittance to everyone.

In any case, this country's due some rent control and other anti-inflation measures especially in utilities, regardless of whether a living wage is to be enshrined in law.

The NHS is more contracted off, we can simply wait for those to expire, and not renew them or auction off any more services in the meantime. And public opinion in this country is greatly FOR renationalisation of utilities and public services, with the understanding that to do so would cost an initial lump sum.

There is an undeniable case for renationalisation. We pay more in subsidies to rail companies than we got in selling off to them originally. Which means we essentially rent it back from them for higher the value of the original sale, and this is not including (ever increasing) fares the public pays direct.

Also, the state-run East Coast line is the most profitable and efficient franchise in the country. Which brings me on to how renationsalition here can be done, we simply wait for the franchises to expire, and don't renew them.

We don't need a nuclear deterrent, it's not 1968 anymore. And we'd save £2bn a year, as well as the £30bn+ cost of replacing trident. I imagine there's a better way of investing £32bn in the economy (if employment is a concern of yours) than nuclear programs that hire 10,000 people.

The fact that you came to that conclusion without waiting for any answers to your questions, or without any research on your part (that would render such questions obsolete), and indeed the manner and tone with which you posed your questions, is very telling.

Fantastic reply and addresses every point raised.  What people tend to forget is that the Greens actually COST up all their policies so the issue of 'how are you going to pay for it' is null and void (well, null and void as much as using the official figures can get).

They'll be getting my Euro vote, but because of First-Past-The-Post I'll be voting Labour in the local and generals.  Shame really, as if we had PR this wouldn't be an issue.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 02:34:29 pm »
Great reply Zebenzui...
The Green Party are having a great surge across Europe (even the USA too)
They are pretty close to what Labour used to be and we should support them as much as possible, but I agree, if voting for Labour means the Tories won't get in then I'll have to do it, I agree on PR.
I wish the greens really could have a go.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:36:11 pm by johnsmithlfc »

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 03:01:49 pm »
I'll be voting Green.  Closest thing we have to a genuine socialist party at the moment.
Yep, same here too. Pity the Labour dinosaurs voted down PR. Will come back and bite them in the arse if the Scots vote Yes for Independence.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 04:03:45 pm »
There was a great play on at the Playhouse recently that I'd hoped to mention.  Didn't see it myself but heard about it on Radio Merseyside.  Was called This may hurt a bit and was about the NHS.  Was apparently well researched and presented.  Turns out that in return for £8bn of investment, the private sector as received £53bn.

Think that goes well with Zebenzui's comments about the case for renationalisation.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 04:09:38 pm »
BJ, I find it strange you think there are jobs out there that aren't worth a minimum wage.

Ill vote Labour in GE as a vote for green will let the Tories in. Don't mind voting green this eek though.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 04:10:57 pm »
I'd rather see the Greens as part of a coalition than an outright labour victory.
Well that'll never happen.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 04:17:42 pm »
Everyone saying they'll vote labour in to stop the Tories in the GE, surely this is the issue with labour. They're complacent.

If everyone voted the Green Party who said they liked them, they might not get in and it might let the Tories in power but surely it would wake labour up to what the electorate wants? It might actually force them into moving there policies more left.

Just voting labour purely to stop the Tories isn't making anyone lives better right now, were in the predicament because labour won't worry about voters leaving because they're seen as a bit better then the Tories.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 07:25:06 pm »
"Progress is the New Labour pressure group..."

Stopped reading...
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 07:30:54 pm »
Yep voting green here,  me and the missus.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 07:35:21 pm »
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 07:38:01 pm »
"Progress is the New Labour pressure group..."

Stopped reading...

It's that kind of mature and informed approach that leaves people with councils who have no idea how to govern themselves never mind the area they represent.
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:59 pm »
Hmm. An article by New Labour criticising a rival party. ::)

Just offering some reading material for the group. At least you gave it a scan though.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 08:04:39 pm »
It's that kind of mature and informed approach that leaves people with councils who have no idea how to govern themselves never mind the area they represent.
I was being flippant, I read the article before I read the description of the writers.  It's a highly disingenuous article that pretty much only sets to plant seeds of chaos in the Green Party.  Don't get me wrong, they're a bit all over the place but not nearly to the degree that Labour propaganda sets out to show in that article.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2014, 09:12:42 pm »
Does anyone know what is the likelihood of a Green candidate getting elected in the north west region?  In Scotland it's going to be a close fight for the final seat between the SNP (for a 3rd seat), Greens and unfortunately UKIP.  I will vote Green but was tempted to vote SNP as the polls suggest they are more likely to beat UKIP.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2014, 10:20:17 pm »
Does anyone know what is the likelihood of a Green candidate getting elected in the north west region?  In Scotland it's going to be a close fight for the final seat between the SNP (for a 3rd seat), Greens and unfortunately UKIP.  I will vote Green but was tempted to vote SNP as the polls suggest they are more likely to beat UKIP.

Because it is proportional representation, the Green MEP candidates stand a better chance. This is how close North West Green MEP candidate Peter Cranie was in 2009, 0.3% off...who did we get instead? .... Nick Griffin.

North West: 8 seats

http://northwest.greenparty.org.uk/european-elections.html

There is a great chance of getting a Green MEP because of proportional representation as the link demonstrates.

Greens have much better support this year, I even fancy my local Green councillor to beat Labour in the local elections as he works tirelessly.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:22:11 pm by AA1122 »
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.