Author Topic: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)  (Read 63346 times)

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
Re: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)
« Reply #120 on: June 8, 2014, 11:24:01 pm »
really is a great program. Lesters transition is great. wonder whats going to happen next week now!

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #121 on: June 9, 2014, 02:22:20 am »
Breathtaking episode. One of the best directed episodes of television I can recall. This show is off the charts good. As far as "miniseries" go, I personally think it blows True Detective out of the water, but I know that won't be a popular opinion.

FYI, saw the other day that Noah Hawley said he's got an idea for a 2nd season, but he's unsure if they'll go ahead with it. Martin Freeman, though, confirmed that if another season does come to pass it won't include him. I imagine that would be the case for a few of the bigger names involved, if not all the characters.
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #122 on: June 9, 2014, 05:44:11 am »
Breathtaking episode. One of the best directed episodes of television I can recall. This show is off the charts good. As far as "miniseries" go, I personally think it blows True Detective out of the water, but I know that won't be a popular opinion.

:D that's just your go-to position, isn't it, the this-won't-be-popular "better than true detective"?  :D

fair enough, though; i can see where you're coming from, and fargo is a lot more fun (which is important), but i wouldn't say either one blows the other out of the water.  i think true detective hangs together better, but it's a matter of fine margins, and they're probably too different as shows to compare them (despite being very similar in many ways).

out of interest, why is martin freeman relegated to "and martin freeman" in the credits for this?  at first i thought it was because he's an english actor in his first US TV role, but then i remembered that he's actually been the star of two of the biggest, most high-profile blockbuster hollywood films in recent history.  puzzling.  ohhh yah.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #123 on: June 9, 2014, 06:46:04 am »

Agree. True Detective is way overrated because of its star cast. I think it's an average series. 6/10

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 9, 2014, 09:17:55 am »
Brilliant. I'm almost enjoying it as much as Game of Thrones.

Incredible TV. Just keeps on getting better.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #125 on: June 9, 2014, 03:54:53 pm »
I personally think it blows True Detective out of the water, but I know that won't be a popular opinion.

I think I'll have the same opinion if it ties everything together properly and it's given the finale it deserves, something I don't think True Detective managed. They seemed to cram what should have been at least two episodes of plot into their final episode, which to me slightly took the shine off an amazing piece of television.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2014, 03:57:37 pm by Adeemo »
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #126 on: June 9, 2014, 07:31:28 pm »
Really enjoying it. They are doing a great job of keeping all the balls in the air. I have no idea where it's going to end up part from the fact that it probably won't end well for Lester.

It's a testament to Martin Freeman's acting that the last episode was completely believable. As for why Freeman is an 'and' - it's Molly's show. She's the hero and BBT is the villain.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 9, 2014, 08:52:27 pm »
:D that's just your go-to position, isn't it, the this-won't-be-popular "better than true detective"?  :D

fair enough, though; i can see where you're coming from, and fargo is a lot more fun (which is important), but i wouldn't say either one blows the other out of the water.  i think true detective hangs together better, but it's a matter of fine margins, and they're probably too different as shows to compare them (despite being very similar in many ways).

out of interest, why is martin freeman relegated to "and martin freeman" in the credits for this?  at first i thought it was because he's an english actor in his first US TV role, but then i remembered that he's actually been the star of two of the biggest, most high-profile blockbuster hollywood films in recent history.  puzzling.  ohhh yah.

If it wasn't before, it will be now.  ;D

Regarding the credits: there are convoluted regulations set down by SAG that determine a lot of that stuff and then some of it comes down to the individual actor's contract, but in general terms being billed last is one of the more prestigious spots in the credits as it's usually differentiated from the rest of the main cast by the inclusion of the word "and" or sometimes their character's name. You'll often see more established actors involved in television productions land as the last name (unless he/she is the lead in which case his/her name would go first). For example, Anthony Stewart Head was always billed last on Buffy as was Alec Baldwin on 30 Rock. I think the same goes for John Slattery on Mad Men and I can promise there are many more examples that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Quick and dirty rule: the biggest names go either first or last. If an actor's name goes before the title then he/she is really big.
Justice For The 96

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #128 on: June 9, 2014, 08:55:21 pm »
Spoiler
Such a ballsy move, doing the One Year On jump with 2 1/2 episodes to go, rather than as a coda to the last episode.

I loved Molly's Rust Cohle-y Noticeboard of Crazy Obsession as the feature wall on the nursery. Her scenes with the murdered Chief's widow are so sweet.  'He was called Sergio. I think he was a pirate..'

Fascinated to see where this is going to go with Malvo and Lester. The great Stephen Root was with Malvo at the end. Maybe he and Lester will just exchange stories about staplers, but I doubt it.

[close]

Oh, and Kate Walsh has a dirty, dirty mouth.   Hmmmm.....
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #129 on: June 9, 2014, 09:19:37 pm »
When's episode 9 on??
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 9, 2014, 10:10:54 pm »
As for why Freeman is an 'and' - it's Molly's show. She's the hero and BBT is the villain.

i'm not sure i agree that it's molly's show (even if the film was from that perspective).  the narrative structure is really well done, though, alternating as it does among three leads.

Regarding the credits: there are convoluted regulations set down by SAG that determine a lot of that stuff and then some of it comes down to the individual actor's contract, but in general terms being billed last is one of the more prestigious spots in the credits as it's usually differentiated from the rest of the main cast by the inclusion of the word "and" or sometimes their character's name. You'll often see more established actors involved in television productions land as the last name (unless he/she is the lead in which case his/her name would go first). For example, Anthony Stewart Head was always billed last on Buffy as was Alec Baldwin on 30 Rock. I think the same goes for John Slattery on Mad Men and I can promise there are many more examples that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

Quick and dirty rule: the biggest names go either first or last. If an actor's name goes before the title then he/she is really big.

that makes a lot of sense, actually.  my first thought when i read your post was "and walton goggins" on justified, and he's undoubtedly one of the leads in that.  i seem to recall david morrissey was an "and..." on TWD too.  i can't think of any instances where a single star actor's name appears before the title though (HBO shows tend to list the entire main cast before the title).

i'd love to know exactly why it's the case though, and how those conventions came about.  yes, i'm a credits nerd :)
« Last Edit: June 9, 2014, 10:13:21 pm by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #131 on: June 9, 2014, 10:41:09 pm »

that makes a lot of sense, actually.  my first thought when i read your post was "and walton goggins" on justified, and he's undoubtedly one of the leads in that.  i seem to recall david morrissey was an "and..." on TWD too. 

i'd love to know exactly why it's the case though, and how those conventions came about.  yes, i'm a credits nerd :)

Tom Wilkinson a couple of years ago on the Kermode & Mayo show had advice for actors: If you're not the lead actor 'Ask for the And'.
Basically, if an experienced actor isn't getting paid enough to be top billing, getting '...And Tom Wilkinson' is the best way of getting recognition. And probably more money to go with the kudos.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2014, 05:05:18 pm »
Just watched the movie..

Spoiler
So the TV series is like a continuation from the movie? with the supermarket guy finding the 1 million in the snow? Or am i completely wrong.
[close]
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2014, 05:18:49 pm »
Just watched the movie..

Spoiler
So the TV series is like a continuation from the movie? with the supermarket guy finding the 1 million in the snow? Or am i completely wrong.
[close]

That's what I assumed it was, after that scene.

royhendo

« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2014, 09:00:10 pm »
Spoiler
1 year later
[close]

Loved that.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2014, 09:42:24 pm »
Watched them all up to ep 8 so far it is quality Television, all those twists and turns and brilliant script,direction and acting,  sadly i think only two more to watch.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:39 pm »
Watched them all up to ep 8 so far it is quality Television, all those twists and turns and brilliant script,direction and acting,  sadly i think only two more to watch.

Yeah mate 2 more to watch but isnt there going to be a second season?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2014, 11:28:06 pm »

Apparently there is but Martin Freeman won't be in it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:18 pm »
Apparently there is but Martin Freeman won't be in it.

Really? Id be very disappointed if so. Must admit I was skeptical enough when I seen Freeman cast as an American with the accent thing but he pulled it off very well, hes brilliant in this. 

BBT is also excellent. I watched it all so quickly id nearly look at them again they were that entertaining.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2014, 11:48:19 pm »

I heard it's like True Detective in that the whole cast and story will be changing.  BBT and Martin Freeman probably won't be back, and Bob Odenkirk is Better Calling Saul.
FX still haven't renewed it yet, though.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2014, 12:41:02 am »
I heard it's like True Detective in that the whole cast and story will be changing.  BBT and Martin Freeman probably won't be back, and Bob Odenkirk is Better Calling Saul.
FX still haven't renewed it yet, though.

Yeah thats the case, if they decide to bring it back it'll be a different story, different set of characters and could be set in a different decade according to the writer Noah Hawley.

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2014, 07:39:09 am »
Really? Id be very disappointed if so. Must admit I was skeptical enough when I seen Freeman cast as an American with the accent thing but he pulled it off very well, hes brilliant in this. 

BBT is also excellent. I watched it all so quickly id nearly look at them again they were that entertaining.

I know it's dark but...
Spoiler
I still can't see the writers allowing someone who murdered his wife and framed his brother to get away without a big downfall.  I'd be surprised if he isn't dead or incarcerated at the end of the season. I doubt they can write him into another season (unless prequel) even if they wanted to.
[close]

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2014, 12:52:35 pm »
Loved the way at the end of the 8th episode ...
Spoiler
When Malvo was in the bar Lester was in, they lingered on the back of his head for AGES ... me and my missus sat watching it going 'he's going to turn around, he's going to turn around ... :D
[close]

The suspense was brilliant.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2014, 01:46:21 pm »
Loved the way at the end of the 8th episode ...
Spoiler
When Malvo was in the bar Lester was in, they lingered on the back of his head for AGES ... me and my missus sat watching it going 'he's going to turn around, he's going to turn around ... :D
[close]

The suspense was brilliant.

I was thinking exactly the same.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2014, 06:28:22 pm »
This is probably one of the best shows in TV right now. Another stellar episode, and how they linked it all up from last week.

Brilliant.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2014, 08:24:20 pm »
Jesus.

That elevator scene.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2014, 12:42:40 am »
Christ that was a good episode, best yet I reckon.

Spoiler
There's so many brilliant moments in it. Awkward moments, like the exchanges between solverson and Lester and his wife, the moment when he goes up to Malvo in Vegas (Why did he do that I don't know??)

Found it hilarious when the FBI fellas went into the cafe and missed Malvo yet again in plain sight!

Anyway, after Lester's new woman getting the bullet, the only person I can see getting away with all this is Malvo.
[close]

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2014, 12:47:52 am »
Jesus.

That elevator scene.

Fairly intense!

i was just thinking, did that really happen?

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2014, 01:21:36 am »
I guess I need to watch this...

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2014, 02:39:32 am »
Freeman and Thornton should do True Detective together.  Great performances from both.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2014, 08:56:45 am »
Fairly intense!

i was just thinking, did that really happen?

On the "True Story" bit...

Spoiler
Non of it happened. The original film claimed that it was based on a true story to create publicity. The show just carried on with the theme. From what I know anyway.
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2014, 10:00:02 am »

Spoiler
the moment when he goes up to Malvo in Vegas (Why did he do that I don't know??)

[close]

Spoiler
Part of his new persona. "I am more confident than ever, I will face my fears and past" etc.
[close]

Take a bow BBT. Simply amazing on the last episode.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2014, 01:26:43 pm »
That line he said about not having pie that good since the  garden of eden makes me think he's the devil.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2014, 01:27:51 pm »
Great episode last night, this show gets better and better each week. Suprised there's not more fuss over it.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2014, 04:04:56 pm »
I was thinking exactly the same.

It was great stuff, genuine great moment and I've warmed to this show a lot as I didn't really take to it at first. The acting and story have been brilliant.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2014, 08:49:37 pm »
That line he said about not having pie that good since the  garden of eden makes me think he's the devil.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Loved that scene, Keith Carradine's great.

Spoiler
Also strange that he didn't seem to get hurt when Lester smashed him over the head with the award and the fact that he disappeared from the basement in the first episode.

Can't work out why Malve had to kill them in the elevator. Couldn't he have just said hello to Lester without blowing his cover?
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2014, 04:51:05 am »
mixed opinions on the penultimate episode...

Spoiler
i didn't like the whole 'fickle hand of fate' of both characters winding up in the same bar in the same place for no apparent reason.  seemed a bit twee to me, which is out of character for the rest of the show.

beyond that, though, an excellent episode.  so much to remark on, but the most unsettling scenes were when lester was trying to make a break for it, out of the hotel, in the car, and at home.  excellent building of suspense: i expected the wife to get a bullet between the eyes long before it actually happened.

and it really is breaking bad rebooted in a lot of ways (not a bad thing as such... BB was a superb show, so i'm not surprised that other shows take cues from it).  the similarities were really glaring in this latest episode.

on the whole malvo/devil thing... i don't buy it.  it's tempting to believe there's some kind of fight club thing going on, but it doesn't really work, and i'll be disappointed if it does turn out to be something like that.  the symbolism is pretty clear though from malvo's name to the garden of eden reference to BBT's whole rangy, other-worldly appearance through to the way when he was silhouetted against the lift in this episode he had two pretty obvious 'wings' of blood.

last episode on tuesday.  it'll be a shame to see it end.  a really vibrant, imaginative show.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:14:45 am by sideshowme »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2014, 04:14:42 am »
Hell of an episode. Key and Peele have been great, btw. Great addition to an already fantastic ensemble.

This upcoming episode is the finale and will run 90 minutes, so my expectations are pretty sky high.
Justice For The 96

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2014, 01:46:22 pm »
Such a wonderful series. Another brilliant/awful episode, if you catch my drift.

Spoiler
I think Lester Nygaard just retained his Husband of the Year Award.   :P

Seriously, what he did to his wife was probably worse than what Malvo did to his missus in the lift.
Malvo's just a sociopath, but Lester, from the minute that Malvo did that, used his wife as a human shield.  When they arrived back in Bemidji, he let her enter the house first, waiting back to see what happened. And the way he deliberately set her up on the chance that Malvo would be in the shop was on a level of callousness on par with Walter White.  Fuck you,  Lester.

The scene in the diner with Molly's dad and Malvo was superb. What they said to each other was a small fraction of what they told each other in the unsaid space.  My fear in the final episode is that Lou's dad (I really should learn his name) will be savvy enough to escape/avoid Malvo, but poor Gus isn't natural police, so will meet a sticky end.

BBT telling the man and his kids about the dead bodies in that house was amazing. He really is the devil, albeit a very mischievous one.

Seriously, though, Fuck You Lester.

[close]

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »
Such a wonderful series. Another brilliant/awful episode, if you catch my drift.

Spoiler
I think Lester Nygaard just retained his Husband of the Year Award.   :P

Seriously, what he did to his wife was probably worse than what Malvo did to his missus in the lift.
Malvo's just a sociopath, but Lester, from the minute that Malvo did that, used his wife as a human shield.  When they arrived back in Bemidji, he let her enter the house first, waiting back to see what happened. And the way he deliberately set her up on the chance that Malvo would be in the shop was on a level of callousness on par with Walter White.  Fuck you,  Lester.

The scene in the diner with Molly's dad and Malvo was superb. What they said to each other was a small fraction of what they told each other in the unsaid space.  My fear in the final episode is that Lou's dad (I really should learn his name) will be savvy enough to escape/avoid Malvo, but poor Gus isn't natural police, so will meet a sticky end.

BBT telling the man and his kids about the dead bodies in that house was amazing. He really is the devil, albeit a very mischievous one.

Seriously, though, Fuck You Lester.

[close]

Spoiler

Lester is a bad shithouse for doing that. Disgusting behaviour, I don't think even Walter White would have stooped that low!

As for the scene with Malvo and Molly's dad. When they were going on about those killings in '69 I got the impression that Malvo knew it was him who killed them. Or would he have been too young?

[close]