Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 49997 times)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's next film).
« Reply #200 on: November 7, 2014, 05:23:56 pm »
Very excited to see this

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #201 on: November 7, 2014, 05:36:06 pm »
Absolutely pissed that I can't see this until mid next week. First world problems. Maybe the rush to see it will have eased by then.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 7, 2014, 08:31:44 pm »
Really want to get the soundtrack for this, been delayed a few weeks because they want people to hear and appareciate the music properly for the first time when watching the film apparently
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #203 on: November 8, 2014, 01:21:56 am »
Just got back from seeing this, blew my mind, probably more than Inception did.

And that soundtrack/audio. Wow.

This is picking up some Oscars for sure.

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #204 on: November 8, 2014, 01:47:55 am »
Very very disappointed with this.

Comfortably one of Nolan's worst films. It is absolutely breathtaking at times, and you can't knock the scale of the thing, but there are so many problems. Pacing all over the place, incredibly plodding and an unsatisfactory ending.

Dat soundtrack though. Incredible.

You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #205 on: November 8, 2014, 02:03:42 am »
Very very disappointed with this.

Comfortably one of Nolan's worst films. It is absolutely breathtaking at times, and you can't knock the scale of the thing, but there are so many problems. Pacing all over the place, incredibly plodding and an unsatisfactory ending.

Dat soundtrack though. Incredible.

Fair to say Zimmer is now clearly head and shoulders above anyone not named John Williams, right?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: November 8, 2014, 02:05:25 am »
Actually, I found the soundtrack a bit loud at times. Especially when there was bits of dialogue at times that were barely audible over the heavy score.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 8, 2014, 02:09:02 am »
really enjoyed it

did anyone else feel the soundtrack was largely modelled on philip glass, stuff like pruit igoe?

and a lot of the themes from pohl's book gateway?

Online Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #208 on: November 8, 2014, 02:11:29 am »
Yeah, Zimmer is something else.

Gonna throw a grenade in here and run very far..

Gravity>Interstellar.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 8, 2014, 02:19:00 am »

Gravity>Interstellar.

;D

You better run very very far mate.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #210 on: November 8, 2014, 02:40:19 am »

Gravity>Interstellar.

Gravity's pacing & music > Interstellar's pacing & music. no joke

not only was Zimmers soundtrack too loud in parts but the organ piece  immediately made me think of the beginning of Solyaris where Tarkovsky used a Bach organ piece. definitely an awkward/uninspired "homage" to the film methinks (and not the only cue Nolan borrows from Solyaris)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vJdQU_5E_Ao" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vJdQU_5E_Ao</a>

the movie is a beautiful mess. probably his "worst", has its moments though

alas, the ending really didn't do it for me, let me break it down how i experienced it
Spoiler

Hospital scene with Murph :

Murph: hi dad, this was all about me apparently and now we're finally together again. this whole movie has been zeroing in on this moment.

but look, im really old and about to die so i brought all my extended family with me to be with them instead. not your son though, the one character that you connected with emotionally during the film while i was off somewhere moping Batman style. he can go suck it, no idea where your firstborn son is. so anyway would you mind pissing off now?

like, i dunno,  that Brand girl whom you totally didn't connect with at all during these three hours/dozens of years aside from needling her on the death of a crewmate and then later for her love of another man. could you maybe hook up with her? apparently she's all alone on that third planet (we didn't send a rescue party after her or even a colony ship or anything).

you can totally hotwire a spaceship and get over there pronto though. and while you're at it take that clunky badass Kit-kat-bar-looking robot with you on your X-wing, maybe you can swing by the Dagobah system on your way lol

k'bye time to die, laters
[close]
« Last Edit: November 8, 2014, 04:01:38 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #211 on: November 8, 2014, 02:49:55 am »

Gravity>Interstellar.

I'd agree with that. Gravity was unreal, Interstellar was good but not as visceral. And after a day thinking about it...fairly flawed in some areas.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Online gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 8, 2014, 03:11:53 am »
Definitely worth a watch, I only ever saw trailers for it so there were a good few surprising cameos/actors that I didn't think were in it.

Ending could have been better though but doesn't spoil the rest of the film. Probably willl talk more about it when more people have seen the film.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 8, 2014, 03:37:47 am »
Definitely worth a watch, I only ever saw trailers for it so there were a good few surprising cameos/actors that I didn't think were in it.

Ending could have been better though but doesn't spoil the rest of the film. Probably willl talk more about it when more people have seen the film.

aww cmon braahh, dont leave me hanging! (two posts up)

Online gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 8, 2014, 03:44:02 am »
Well I definitely agree with your point about the ending. That was very rushed, also

Spoiler
Of all the places in the space time continuum to end up and he lands behind little murph's bookcase?? Bit of a cop out. At least he didn't burst through the bookcase like he thought he might have at one point!

[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 8, 2014, 04:17:14 am »
Well I definitely agree with your point about the ending. That was very rushed, also

Spoiler
Of all the places in the space time continuum to end up and he lands behind little murph's bookcase?? Bit of a cop out. At least he didn't burst through the bookcase like he thought he might have at one point!

[close]

yes, the time travel/wormhole element of the script isn't a tight run ship (like Primer or Donnie Darko for instance) at all.
in fact i think the movie can more easibly be compared to Sunshine (on various levels)..and, essentially, unfavourably at that..
« Last Edit: November 8, 2014, 04:27:59 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #216 on: November 8, 2014, 04:36:40 am »

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
the future humans that sent the wormhole created the space for him. It had to be there for him to set up the events of the movie. Think of him as Kyle Reese and his daughter as Sarah Connor...

Wait that's just wrong...
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 8, 2014, 04:47:23 am »
Spoiler
the future humans that sent the wormhole created the space for him. It had to be there for him to set up the events of the movie. Think of him as Kyle Reese and his daughter as Sarah Connor...

Wait that's just wrong...
[close]

Spoiler
yeah, that whole element of future humans/her dad peeping tom-ing on a young girls bedroom added a certain creepy as hell issue into things that thankfully went unexplored  :P
[close]
« Last Edit: November 9, 2014, 08:08:25 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 8, 2014, 06:32:57 am »
crock of crap, too many holes in the film plot, soundtrack that killed the dialogue (and it needed the dialogue for this type of movie), Story stretched out in all the wrong places and then the end rushed.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #219 on: November 8, 2014, 07:36:28 am »
Just back from this.  Certainly has its flaws but thoroughly engaging and entertaining. Solid 8/10 film. Like inception but probably just below the dark Knight. Still a way below 2001 but miles better than gravity.

This pretty much nails it IMO.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #220 on: November 8, 2014, 08:41:21 am »
Level with inception?

Inception was many people's  film of the year!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #221 on: November 8, 2014, 08:52:52 am »
I should really be trying to avoid this thread until I've seen it, but can everyone kinda measure their verdicts a bit?

"Crock of shit" or "mind-blowingly incredible" (a number of summaries I've seen from elsewhere) both seem excessive, hyperbolic. Can a film not quite live up to massive expectations anymore without being "crap"? Leave that language for the proper crap, with no redeeming features (and likewise the other way; if it's highly enjoyable and interesting, but not a work of astounding timeless genius, you don't need to inflate the words you use to make your positive reaction to it more noticable).

If this is a solid 7.5-8 out of 10, I'm cool with that. Hopefully catch it next week.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online Dingus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Man Without Fear
« Reply #222 on: November 8, 2014, 09:48:21 am »
saw this last night, great movie, preferred Gravity though!
has been said, the score was deafening at times, and you could see the ending coming a mile off!
I liked Gravity more as it was essentially a 2-hander with Bullock/Clooney, and you identify more with their survival.
would be a 7.5/10 for me, enjoyable enough, if you ignore quite a bit!  :)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 8, 2014, 10:06:45 am »
Level with inception?

Inception was many people's  film of the year!

Inception was a solid 7.5-8/10 film as well in my opinion. I felt like people calling it a masterpiece was a bit over the top. I think The Dark Knight was actually a superbly made film when compared to them both and even that has its flaws.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 8, 2014, 10:26:00 am »
Interstellar has far more emotion and beauty than Inception ever had. I'm still convinced Inception only got so popular because it got labelled "the thinking mans blockbuster" so it became cool to like it.

One scene in interstellar had tears running down my face and I don't often get emotional during films, some of it may have been down to the music
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 8, 2014, 10:38:04 am »
Interstellar has far more emotion and beauty than Inception ever had. I'm still convinced Inception only got so popular because it got labelled "the thinking mans blockbuster" so it became cool to like it.

One scene in interstellar had tears running down my face and I don't often get emotional during films, some of it may have been down to the music

Clearly horses for courses mate. I thought the emotional content was way overdone and to me seemed totally nonsensical.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 8, 2014, 11:38:22 am »

I rated this better than inception. My problem with inception is is i didn't care for what was at stake, if they succeeded then someone else would own a company.

I think the sound issues will be more down to the individual cinema set up, i had no problem similar, happened with the Dark Knight Rises and Bane's voice being difficult to hear.     
No time for caution.

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #227 on: November 8, 2014, 10:49:01 pm »
I have to agree. Liked it more that Inception which was a very good movie as well.
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #228 on: November 9, 2014, 12:45:25 am »
Impulse viewing after an absolutely shite day. I have decided that it is "pretty good". Takes an awful lot from Space Odyssey and Sunshine.

I did lose my suspension of disbelief when
Spoiler
Matthew Mahogany became a 5th dimensional being to yell at himself for being an asshole through time and space
[close]

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #229 on: November 9, 2014, 01:15:18 am »
More in depth things I didn't like since now I can use a laptop to type it up:

Spoiler

The movie dragged in parts. I liked the three planets but it felt like the movie would have moved better if they didn't do the first one and had a different reason for the time jump. Damon's role was set the moment they argued about it and McConaughey said "you said he was the best of us", and it felt a bit ridiculous. Like maybe he lied and fucked about but they weren't just gonna execute him so they would have dragged him along to the next planet. The best of us not knowing what would happen if he opened an improperly docked airlock was...dumb. Hathaway had an awful role and her actions on the first planet were really awful. Nolan is better than that.

The worst part was Casey Affleck though. His character was smart and tough. He had a shit life but managed to keep the farm going. Then he's suddenly a psycho who wants his family to die solely because we need tension for the bookcase stuff. And then she comes out and hugs him and he's cool again? Or does he stay behind and die? Fuck...

That final scene was some BS though. The more I think about it, the more I think "holy fuck a blockbuster movie directed by Christopher Nolan actually ended with quantum data being transferred through morse code in the second hand of a watch!" That was so, so bad.
[close]

Despite all of that, I actually enjoyed it. As I said, I don't think I could rewatch it and I'm ok with that. I think it's flaws as a story are outweighed by the frankly magnificent visual effects.

And Gravity was better. I was trying to think of the score for this and realised I was actually thinking of the "HOLY FUCK HERE COMES THE DEBRIS" music from Gravity.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 9, 2014, 01:24:02 am »

Spoiler

The movie dragged in parts. I liked the three planets but it felt like the movie would have moved better if they didn't do the first one and had a different reason for the time jump. Damon's role was set the moment they argued about it and McConaughey said "you said he was the best of us", and it felt a bit ridiculous. Like maybe he lied and fucked about but they weren't just gonna execute him so they would have dragged him along to the next planet. The best of us not knowing what would happen if he opened an improperly docked airlock was...dumb. Hathaway had an awful role and her actions on the first planet were really awful. Nolan is better than that.

The worst part was Casey Affleck though. His character was smart and tough. He had a shit life but managed to keep the farm going. Then he's suddenly a psycho who wants his family to die solely because we need tension for the bookcase stuff. And then she comes out and hugs him and he's cool again? Or does he stay behind and die? Fuck...

That final scene was some BS though. The more I think about it, the more I think "holy fuck a blockbuster movie directed by Christopher Nolan actually ended with quantum data being transferred through morse code in the second hand of a watch!" That was so, so bad.
[close]

Despite all of that, I actually enjoyed it. As I said, I don't think I could rewatch it and I'm ok with that. I think it's flaws as a story are outweighed by the frankly magnificent visual effects.

And Gravity was better. I was trying to think of the score for this and realised I was actually thinking of the "HOLY FUCK HERE COMES THE DEBRIS" music from Gravity.

Yeah pretty much. I enjoyed it as a blockbuster type film and I had to willingly suspend my disbelief at times. But it's certainly not a masterpiece.

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 9, 2014, 06:49:25 pm »
Overall really enjoyed it,some of the dialogue is pretty cringeworthy and its a bit plodding at times but the visuals are incredible and i must admit at finding some of it very moving,didnt much like the ending tho.
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 9, 2014, 06:51:49 pm »

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Some decent points here but on the Damon/airlock thing: it's classic Nolan morals - they wouldn't have executed him but they didn't have to save him by opening the airlock. He's left Cooper for dead and killed Romilly, they have no reason to trust him. If it meant Cooper had more chance of saving his family etc. he would have left Mann behind. I'm sure he knew exactly what happened if the airlock opened incorrectly, but his desperation to survive caused him to take the chance - he said himself while fighting Cooper - 50:50 odds of survival is better than he's had in years.
[close]

Online Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #233 on: November 9, 2014, 07:09:28 pm »
Spoiler
I have to say, all I could think during the Matt Damon/Matthew McConaughey showdown was "I'm watching a Chris Nolan directed Sci Fi epic where we travel through wormholes and across dimensions, and it's come to Matt Damon rolling around in the snow with Matthew McConaughey.
[close]

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 9, 2014, 07:16:19 pm »
Spoiler
I have to say, all I could think during the Matt Damon/Matthew McConaughey showdown was "I'm watching a Chris Nolan directed Sci Fi epic where we travel through wormholes and across dimensions, and it's come to Matt Damon rolling around in the snow with Matthew McConaughey.
[close]

Spoiler
If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure it was an ice cloud they were fighting on.
[close]

Online Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #235 on: November 9, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »
Spoiler
If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure it was an ice cloud they were fighting on.
[close]
I must say it does a tad.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #236 on: November 9, 2014, 07:59:15 pm »
I put
Spoiler
Damon's airlock snafu down to him being space crazy. I thought that was clearly established
[close]
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #237 on: November 9, 2014, 09:16:33 pm »
I put
Spoiler
Damon's airlock snafu down to him being space crazy. I thought that was clearly established
[close]

Spoiler
crazy to survive, not crazy to be a dumbass
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #238 on: November 9, 2014, 10:48:45 pm »
Crazy is as crazy does.

And the mrs pointed out its a great prequel to Wall-E :P
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 9, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »
Spoiler
crazy to survive, not crazy to be a dumbass
[close]

Spoiler

Solitude with no chance of escaping it is one of the easiest ways of slipping into mental health issues.

It's most commonly observed in prison inmates and in a way Damon is one.

I'm just being the devil's advocate though. If that was indeed a train of thought that Nolan wanted to show in the film, it doesn't come across clearly at all.

[close]