Author Topic: Homeland - now finished in the States - here be spoilers  (Read 122298 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Homeland Season 2 Discussion - *contains spoilers*
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2012, 11:45:56 am »
I thought that potential plot hole was addressed by her being medicated by her sister and not by a normal doctor? Provided she was in good health, like we see in the early stages of series 1, then there would be no reason for anyone to suspect anything. She is also a brilliant field agent, and one would imagine that she'd be too valuable to let go, even if they suspected her mental illness.

Nah mate doesn't wash. CIA do multiple multiple checks , mentally and physically on field agents. There is no way in hell they wouldn't know. Even a half assed psychologist would pick it up. Also her dad has it so there would be that link. She would never have been hired in the first place, specially as a field agent dealing with the situations she has to deal with.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53:21 am »
But why let that bother you anyway? You have to suspend belief at the start to think that an American Marine wouldn't have been tortured and killed almost immediately after capture. You have to suspend belief that anyone would be allowed to take hyper-sensitive documents out of a CIA building to make a massive mural with them. You could keep going, but it's a work of fiction and the more you let it ride, the more you enjoy it.

Oh trust me I do, I let it go. The problem was everything else became unbelievable from that point on. Its still a good show and I still watch it. But it lost its very believable element. Now I watch it in the same vein as Supernatural :)

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2012, 12:14:09 pm »
Can't agree that BB is vastly superior to Homeland. Nothing on TV is vastly better than Homeland.

Also, it's worth remembering that Homeland season 1 is a great deal stronger than BB season 1 IMO.

So as competition goes, it's 1-0 ATM.

can't agree there.  homeland series 1 was a lot of talky exposition and filler with occasional moments of high tension.  the stunning performances of the three leads were what saved it from being just another show.

and IMO breaking bad is vastly superior to anything i've seen for a long time.  but that's just me.

A certain aspect of this 3rd episode was a bit off in my view...
Spoiler
...and far fetched but from another angle.  A terrorist organisation has a mole smack in the middle of your enemies government and one would think that such an asset should be guarded at all cost.  Mainly used for very important issues.  Yet they send him on a non-errand which not only jeopardizes him, it could spoil his involvement in an event that gives him a great chance to get him even further involved with those making decisions against your organisation.  Uncharacteristic and bordering on stupid.
[close]

Spoiler
i agree with this. it was utterly ludicrous the way a prospective VP was sent on a grand theft auto-style mission (drive to gettysburg - you know the address :) - pick up man X and take him to house Y).  contrived and very silly.  it didn't develop the character or anything.
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2012, 12:38:45 pm »
Wasn't her father working in a similar field but by overwork his condition, being controllable at first, spiraled down to the point that he became as sick as he is ?  Similarly she had no symptoms but with over-zealousness and work related stress before the series timeline the bipolarism escalated to the point of her not having any control partly because of her thinking that her excellent ability in analyzing and assessing threats was shattered with wrongly believing Brody had been turned.

Add to that, its possible that her symptoms wouldn't be identifiable during the CIA's screening or that they even knew about her fathers illness when she was recruited

Nope she said in one of the episodes in season 1 that she has always been this way. Even at university where she wrote a 45 page paper on some music thing. I can't quite remember which episode but she was speaking to Saul about it. So she definitely had symptoms and the over zealousness before working for the CIA.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:18 pm »

Under the Homeland Wiki there's this about the character:

studied Arabic and Farsi at the American University of Beirut, and graduated
Summa Cum Laude from Princeton University with a BA in Arabic Languages and Literatures in 1999.

...and yet she can't pronounce 'fatima' properly, or get the time of the friday prayer correct.  riiiiight...
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2012, 06:56:40 pm »
I have never watched Breaking Bad. Its good?
It's better than good. It's possibly the greatest TV show ever. But don't just take my word for it...get watching.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2012, 06:58:15 pm »
It's better than good. It's possibly the greatest TV show ever. But don't just take my word for it...get watching.

Will check out the dvds when I get the chance. Cheers. As long as its as good as Homeland, Wire, Lost, etc then that's good enough.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2012, 07:04:17 pm »
Thought that episode there was far too contrived. Entertaining, yes, but I felt like at times it was threatening to go off the rails. There was some really shoddy scenarios written in there, not unlike some of the daft and contrived stuff you'd see on a show like Dexter, but Dexter can get away with it due to it's premise.
Spoiler
The entire situation with Brody going to get that other fella was a bit too far fetched and out of synch for my liking. It just wasn't realistic at all. If he was being watched by the CIA, why would Brody be the only one they could choose to send there to get him out? He's such a high profile asset to them, why risk him getting seen or caught at a suspected terrorist's place when he's so famous to everyone else? Also, the bit at the car wash: he's just killed someone, yet he stands there semi-naked hosing blood off himself for anyone to see it? Na, not having that. Hope there isn't more fuck ups like this from the writers in the future, because if that is the way it's going, then it's going to get silly, which would be a massive shame.
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2012, 08:10:09 pm »
Thought that episode there was far too contrived. Entertaining, yes, but I felt like at times it was threatening to go off the rails. There was some really shoddy scenarios written in there, not unlike some of the daft and contrived stuff you'd see on a show like Dexter, but Dexter can get away with it due to it's premise.
Spoiler
The entire situation with Brody going to get that other fella was a bit too far fetched and out of synch for my liking. It just wasn't realistic at all. If he was being watched by the CIA, why would Brody be the only one they could choose to send there to get him out? He's such a high profile asset to them, why risk him getting seen or caught at a suspected terrorist's place when he's so famous to everyone else? Also, the bit at the car wash: he's just killed someone, yet he stands there semi-naked hosing blood off himself for anyone to see it? Na, not having that. Hope there isn't more fuck ups like this from the writers in the future, because if that is the way it's going, then it's going to get silly, which would be a massive shame.
[close]

Spoiler
the GTA plot with brody was daft, although i got the impression the car wash was secluded (though would probably still have cameras on it etc.).  it did however allow that brilliant editing where the thunderous applause for the wife's (utterly banal) speech merged seamlessly into the surging water.

the GTA stuff gets worse the more i think about it.  it really isn't a very good terrorist network if the necessarily independent cells have to be formally introduced before anything gets done.  just absurd.

[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2012, 11:23:42 am »
As long as its as good as Homeland, Wire, Lost, etc then that's good enough.
Fucking hell mate. ;D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Homeland Season 2 Discussion - *contains spoilers*
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2012, 12:10:02 pm »
There are getting to be an annoying number of plot contrivances in this season already. One I can forgive but there have been a couple of great big clangers so far. As soon as the flat tire happened I groaned out loud.

It's not ruining it for me because everything else is great, like Danes' performance in the third episode (she's got next years Emmy boxed off already) and the other well written and rounded characters. It's just a shame they seem to be reaching for big, shocking events every episode when it's not needed and its leading to silly and contrived plotting.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2012, 02:47:50 pm »
never seen this. gonna start watching from the start tonight i think.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2012, 09:41:34 pm »
Jealous
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »
Why does it take Carrie 2 hours to answer her front door?

Apart from that absolutely loving the 2nd series so far!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2012, 10:31:26 pm »
Can we leave the BB comparisons or versus arguments to another thread please. It's boring and ultimately pointless, ta.

Agree with the sentiment above that it does seem like there are too many high risk and bordering on the ridiculous incidents occurring this series. The cast performances are still top notch and I'm really enjoying it but I hope that ep 3 was a set up episode for the remainder of the season.

Carrie is going to have a lot more to deal with now, she feels vindicated by what she's seen but she still had that romantic attachment to Brody and will remain conflicted.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2216439/DAN-WOOTTON-Five-year-run-Damian-Lewis-Homeland.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

"It doesn’t necessarily mean there will be five more series, but it gives them the option.’"

Please don't go the 24 route.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2012, 01:11:20 pm »
To me, season 1 was by FAR the weakest, but that's just my opinion.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Homeland Season 2 Discussion - *contains spoilers*
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2012, 01:26:39 pm »
To me, season 1 was by FAR the weakest, but that's just my opinion.

Even with the pilot episode, acid bath, Krazy 8, Tuco, mercury 'bomb' etc? Some all time classic stuff there
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:30 pm »
Even with the pilot episode, acid bath, Krazy 8, Tuco, mercury 'bomb' etc? Some all time classic stuff there
Don't get me wrong, in comparison to other TV shows it's marvellous. It's just 2,3, and 4 raise the bar quite significantly for me.

It's kinda like the Wire; season 2 is good, but 3 and 4 just knocks it outta the ball park.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2012, 05:01:19 pm »
Can we leave the BB comparisons or versus arguments to another thread please. It's boring and ultimately pointless, ta.
DAMMIT!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
Hearing that Homeland might be sued because the episode set in Beirut was filmed in Israel.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »
Hearing that Homeland might be sued because the episode set in Beirut was filmed in Israel.

not quite, it's more because the portrayal of beirut is supposedly far from the truth (i've never been there, but a lot of discussion of the first few episodes seems to confirm that), which has a knock on effect on public perception/tourism etc.  i can see their point, i guess.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s188/homeland/news/a431963/homeland-producers-to-be-sued-by-lebanese-government.html

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2012, 09:40:44 pm »
Damian Lewis is going to get rumbled soon - he'll probably say 'pavement' instead of 'sidewalk' or something

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:13 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
It could be that they actually want him to be caught in such a position.  Derail a presidential campaign, throw the whole of the incumbent government into disaray etc.  My personal thought is they try to turn him into a double agent.  It's about the only way they can get this to continue for 5 seasons with him still in it given the ending of the 2nd and 3rd episodes
[close]
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2012, 06:18:31 am »
Episode 4 - Homeland back to it's best after last week's craziness, for me.

Very good.

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2012, 11:57:19 am »

Very good.

Hope so mate, because Ep 3 was the worst in either series for me. Very weak plotting there. Disappointed.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:11 pm »

Very good.

Yep, didn't expect what would happen. Be interesting to see how they go with this now even more.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2012, 07:43:12 pm »
After episode 4 there is only one way it can go from here.
Spoiler
Brody will become a double agent working for the CIA against the terrorists. Although he could still double cross them in the end.
[close]

Does anyone else watch this show and kind of hope the terrorists manage to pull off the attacks? Just because it would be some cool and tense television I should add.
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2012, 08:15:58 pm »
Spoiler
Epic! Wonder where they'll go from here...i'm with the double/triple(if there's such a thing) agent camp
[close]

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2012, 08:28:38 pm »
The show has been picked up for a third season according to the official facebook account. Never in doubt after the Emmy's to be honest.
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:55 pm »
Just finished the fourth episode, excellent stuff. Also

Spoiler
Aww, Dana and Finn.
[close]

Offline Craigeth

• Legacy Fan
  • Ninety six Friends, we all shall miss YNWA
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2012, 10:49:25 pm »
I'm a huge fan of this show but I've found the last 2 episodes a disappointment! I mean what's the rush?

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:49 pm »

Very good.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I'm not always a massive fan - think it's been overrated in parts and some of last week's cliched madness was in small doses throughout the first season as well for me (though not for most others) - but I thought that was back to top form again, with a strong ending to the episode once more.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:07 am »
Spoiler
Stunning ending to episode four. Thought they'd do a few more episodes with them investigating Brody, but this is brilliant. The show is elevated to another level when Carrie and Brody are on screen together - the chemistry is palpable.
[close]

I'm a huge fan of this show but I've found the last 2 episodes a disappointment! I mean what's the rush?

Spoiler
The show was heavily criticised at the end of the first season for not going through with the suicide bombing. People feared it would be years before Brody was found out. As it is, four episodes later and the CIA know he's a traitor, and he knows they know. Could they have milked it a bit longer? Of course, but I can't criticise a show for having the balls to do this (looking back, they'd probably have Saul finding the tape of Brody as the cliffhanger to Season 1, as Carrie's Isa moment has essentially been made redundant).

Seems obvious they'll go down the route of Carrie as Brody's handler as he becomes a double agent. That still has a lot of possibilities. Plenty of the central characters working together, which is a huge bonus. And the central question will become where his loyalties lie - he could become a triple agent.
[close]

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2012, 12:44:00 am »
third season confirmed:

http://t.co/WpQTcb0F

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2012, 02:29:00 am »
One thing that irks me is his wife calls him Brodie. Why?? It's so weird. He's your husband, not your mate down the pub.

Maybe they were on the same football team?

Offline scoobs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:54 am »
third season confirmed:

http://t.co/WpQTcb0F

How are they going to stretch this out for a third series? Looks like nothing is going happen then for the rest of the 2nd series.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 03:41:16 am »
underwhelming fourth episode until the last 5 minutes.  the spark that made the first season so tense has well and truly gone.  quite boring overall.

Spoiler
having said that, i still need to applaud the writers for letting the secrets out so soon.  i just hope it's no an excuse for more turgid nonsense like last week's episode, or most of this one.
[close]

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2012, 07:41:15 am »
Spoiler
Anyone else just get the feeling its moving far far too fast, in 2 episodes we go from Saul finding out that Brody is a terrorist, to the CIA following him, to Carrie blowing his cover and taking him in. Just very very fast.
[close]