Author Topic: The Strain is Coming!  (Read 24652 times)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: The Strain is Coming!
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2014, 08:43:04 pm »
Sorry mate, my post was a bit ambiguous. We watched it earlier and the rating popped up at the start saying 14+, so it was all good. We were both a bit meh with it, but are going to give it another couple of episodes.
Stick with it, the first few episodes drag a bit, it takes a while setting up characters and storylines, but it starts to pick up.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2014, 12:07:53 am »
Stick with it, the first few episodes drag a bit, it takes a while setting up characters and storylines, but it starts to pick up.

Will do mate. I can see Chloe not wanting to continue on it but I will.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2014, 02:35:13 am »
I'd echo Mouth's sentiments, I was a bit non plussed with it to start with but now I'm all caught up and am actually quite liking it.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »
Watched the 2nd one last night and I want to continue...the daughter has given up on it though :(
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 2, 2014, 02:57:27 am »
Excellent episode this week. Extremely entertaining.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #125 on: September 2, 2014, 03:01:18 am »
Extremely entertaining.

Has been from the very start, just a really fun 40 minutes of TV. You need to go in not taking it seriously.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 2, 2014, 12:25:21 pm »
Reminded me of a proper B movie horror film that episode! Stuck in a small shop with monsters trying to get in, one woman managing to escape on herself, almost The Mist-like.

Was very good, a bit far fetched that all the main cast showed up in the same petrol station/street at the same time, but it's a show about vampire zombies, what do you expect?

Was shocked
Spoiler
the traitor guy died, was expecting somewhere down the line for him to have to finally choose between what's right and what helps his wife/him
[close]

Would put this above stuff like The Walking Dead personally
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #127 on: September 2, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »
Reminded me of a proper B movie horror film that episode! Stuck in a small shop with monsters trying to get in, one woman managing to escape on herself, almost The Mist-like.

Was very good, a bit far fetched that all the main cast showed up in the same petrol station/street at the same time, but it's a show about vampire zombies, what do you expect?

Was shocked
Spoiler
the traitor guy died, was expecting somewhere down the line for him to have to finally choose between what's right and what helps his wife/him
[close]

Would put this above stuff like The Walking Dead personally
Splitting hairs but a couple of main characters didn't turn up....although I'm sure they will soon lol

The first two episodes of TWD were as good as almost anything I've seen on the box but generally the rest is garbage so I tend to agree, I think this will rank up there along the likes of Banshee and ultimately above TWD ;)
« Last Edit: September 2, 2014, 02:29:17 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #128 on: September 2, 2014, 02:18:58 pm »
Nice cameo in this weeks from Rick Baker.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline d gorgeous one haz spoken

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 7, 2014, 09:01:29 pm »
TWD has been a drag last season. I watch it, but don't really understand the hype considering it's really repetitive. New season starts, found new location. End of season, all out battle against another group and a few favourite characters die. Rinse and repeat.

The Strain has picked up the pace and looks better already than TWD. Best summer show this season imo.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 7, 2014, 09:05:00 pm »
TWD has too much filler, poor writing and boring characters.

Strain so far has managed to make most of the characters interesting and kept it moving at a fast pace that feels like it actually knows where it's going, rather than moving from random place to random place.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #131 on: September 7, 2014, 09:09:06 pm »
I haven't been back to TWD since about the second season break. Just got to the point were I hated all the characters and wanted them all to die for being fucking stupid.

Strain has been decent despite the shaky start. It and Ray Donovan have made sundays a good night.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #132 on: September 9, 2014, 04:43:03 pm »
Spoiler
Is anyone getting a little miffed at the main actor's constant denial in Vampires?

"It's a virus, it's a virus, it can't be vampires, it's a virus, nothing more"

I mean after all that he's seen and been through, maybe it's not "Just a virus".

Just getting on my nerves very episode
[close]

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 9, 2014, 04:44:00 pm »
This and Ray Donovan. Best things on at the moment.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 9, 2014, 05:25:59 pm »
Spoiler
Is anyone getting a little miffed at the main actor's constant denial in Vampires?

I mean after all that he's seen and been through, maybe it's not "Just a virus".

[close]

Spoiler
Sort of, but he is a scientist, and probably scared of the unknown and what is happening, so his natural human instinct is to try and equate it to terms and situations that he understands (disease outbreaks).
[close]

Thought it was good again, but the design of The Master was poor IMO, didn't really look scary or intimidating, was more like the "big dumb but strong and loving sidekick" on a cartoon show

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 9, 2014, 05:37:42 pm »
Spoiler

[close]
Scully from the X-Files was exactly the same as this. Every episode, for about 5 seasons, until it finally dawned on her that some strange shit was going on outside of what science could explain. I didn't mind, for obvious reasons.

I would agree with the general consensus with TWD in comparison to this, although TWD does have it's moments, so I'm not going to be hyper critical of it. It still has some of the best practical and non-practical effects, not just on TV, but in film also. It's just a shame, as has been mentioned, that it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. The Strain, however, is much more structured. You can tell it comes from solid material, and it plays out almost exactly like a novel from which it came from. Decent exposition, character development and a forward moving plot. Everything TWD should have had, but hasn't managed to glue down.

Regarding the recent episode, did anyone else laugh when:

Spoiler
the main vampire finally revealed himself? I thought he looked goofy as fuck, rather than really vicious or evil-looking. Bit of an odd design, that.
[close]

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 9, 2014, 06:03:05 pm »
Scully from the X-Files was exactly the same as this. Every episode, for about 5 seasons, until it finally dawned on her that some strange shit was going on outside of what science could explain. I didn't mind, for obvious reasons.

Scully was easy on the eyes, this guy not so much ;)

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #137 on: September 9, 2014, 07:40:38 pm »
Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
Ah but he might turn out to be right. The way its presented, the biology would suggest that's the angle they are going for. Ultimately it might be science that defeats them, rather than the aul fellas superstitious approach or a combination of the two methods.

Also have to take in the timescale aspect, its still only a few days after the first incident timeline wise.
[close]

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 9, 2014, 08:13:47 pm »
Spoiler
Ah but he might turn out to be right. The way its presented, the biology would suggest that's the angle they are going for. Ultimately it might be science that defeats them, rather than the aul fellas superstitious approach or a combination of the two methods.

Also have to take in the timescale aspect, its still only a few days after the first incident timeline wise.
[close]

Spoiler
I know they might be leading to a cure, but honestly it's every episode. Why can't it be both?

Just guess the main character is getting on my nerves with this.
[close]

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #139 on: September 9, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »
Spoiler
I know they might be leading to a cure, but honestly it's every episode. Why can't it be both?

Just guess the main character is getting on my nerves with this.
[close]
Well yeah its annoying, but its a tool of exposition as well. He keeps saying its a virus, allowing the aul fella to go nah its this and this and this also happens dah dah dum. If he just went yeah ok its vampires, then we wouldn't learn anything, as he learns, so do we.
They do hang a lantern on it, by having him wearily comment in response that the aul get keeps coming out with new info.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2014, 09:38:46 am »
Spoiler
Thought it was good again, but the design of The Master was poor IMO, didn't really look scary or intimidating, was more like the "big dumb but strong and loving sidekick" on a cartoon show.
[close]
Spoiler
the main vampire finally revealed himself? I thought he looked goofy as fuck, rather than really vicious or evil-looking. Bit of an odd design, that.
[close]
Spoiler
Actually did a lol. They don't appear to have picked up on the origin story of The Master yet. I can't remember when it's introduced in the books so no idea if they've cut it or not but....the origin story does restrict in terms of his physical appearance but that's still no excuse for making him look "goofy", in all honesty he almost looks cute FFS.
[close]

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2014, 02:07:37 am »
Spoiler
big scary shrek monster. Suddenly the big bad isn't so bad, shame that , they could have done so much more.
[close]

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2014, 03:02:21 pm »
Does anybody think Apple might have paid for some of the latest episode? Jeez :D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2014, 07:21:41 pm »
Funny how you can change your opinion of someone in a heartbeat...

"I love the blue!"

...do you indeed, do you!

Oh and glad the master left his hoodie up this time! ;D

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2014, 04:11:09 pm »
Just realised Eldritch Palmer is named after Philip K. Dick's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, thought the name sounded familiar.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 6, 2014, 08:12:52 pm »
First season finished, ended up really getting into that.

Now to wait until next summer for the next installment :(

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 6, 2014, 08:15:47 pm »
Yep, kinda of a shame that the season's over. Found it's feet 3 or 4 in and then really got into it's stride it the last few. Hopefully they'll keep the momentum of the books/story going into the next series...

Was a little disappointed with the scene on the roof....a little too ponderous when it got to the pointy end of the sword, so to speak ::)

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #147 on: October 6, 2014, 08:16:29 pm »
I liked the X-Files reference, with the Morelys ciggies.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #148 on: October 7, 2014, 08:14:22 pm »

Was a little disappointed with the scene on the roof....a little too ponderous when it got to the pointy end of the sword, so to speak ::)

Yea me and my mate were of the same opinion.
Spoiler
Get it killed instead of fucking around
[close]

Glad its been picked up for another series.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #149 on: October 8, 2014, 01:27:46 am »
Yep, kinda of a shame that the season's over. Found it's feet 3 or 4 in and then really got into it's stride it the last few. Hopefully they'll keep the momentum of the books/story going into the next series...

that's how it was supposed to be though, if they'd have killed him that would be it, guillermo del toro has said they're planning 5 seasons, the first has more or less followed the first book with a few minor differences then 2 seasons based on the fall which should have a lot more action
Spoiler
hope they do the scene where the master tears eldritch palmer's head off then rips his body in two justice  ;D
[close]
then another 2 season based on the night eternal

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 8, 2014, 01:34:27 am »
that's how it was supposed to be though, if they'd have killed him that would be it, guillermo del toro has said they're planning 5 seasons, the first has more or less followed the first book with a few minor differences then 2 seasons based on the fall which should have a lot more action
Spoiler
hope they do the scene where the master tears eldritch palmer's head off then rips his body in two justice  ;D
[close]
then another 2 season based on the night eternal
Of course dude, just felt they could've handled it better and not made the scene seem daft....

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #151 on: May 6, 2015, 07:06:23 pm »
TITI!!!

Just for you. ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tFXs4jaw7lo?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tFXs4jaw7lo?fs=1</a>
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: May 6, 2015, 07:54:23 pm »
looking forward to season 2, any ideas when it airs?
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #153 on: May 6, 2015, 08:00:54 pm »
looking forward to season 2, any ideas when it airs?
I only know the middle of this summer....I have seen guesses at the 12th of July...

Get yourself a http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/ and when the release date is known it'll be on your list of shows..it's a brilliant little planner...I love mine...thanks to Oddball. :wave
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: July 6, 2015, 12:14:58 pm »
BK, N.Y.(12 Jul. 2015)
Agent Ephraim investigates new cases about Master in NY City.

The Strain: Season 2, Episode 1
One week to go :wave

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #155 on: July 6, 2015, 01:23:57 pm »

Ha - jus talking about this last night .

Good to see it back.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: July 6, 2015, 01:54:38 pm »

Excellent, looks like this season will be larger in scale, interested to see how they pull it off

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #157 on: July 6, 2015, 09:37:58 pm »
This back on in the UK?

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #158 on: July 6, 2015, 10:01:12 pm »

Happy days :D

This back on in the UK?

Was the 1st series on terrestrial tv? I was getting mine from the usual places.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #159 on: July 6, 2015, 10:14:14 pm »
Yes, but cant remember if it was sky living, fox, universal or scifi