Author Topic: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread (Not A Home Nation)  (Read 243101 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread (Not A Home Nation)
« Reply #2480 on: October 12, 2017, 03:45:41 pm »
It was a playful post to KerryKop. Read the thread title.

Christ above, this place used to be full of people with a decent sense of humour. No wonder the 'Inactive Posters' thread has been so busy the last few years.

Precious pricks have taken over.

Maybe work harder on your humour rather than blame the audience.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #2481 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:30 pm »
Maybe work harder on your humour rather than blame the audience.
You're not the intended audience. KerryKop will give it a smile.

Not all posts are meant for all 40,000 posters. It's quite simple to ignore a post and or poster. (Claire has kindly given you the function).

Better tell Michael McIntyre to stop touring, not all seven billion people like his stuff.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2482 on: October 12, 2017, 04:47:56 pm »
You're not the intended audience. KerryKop will give it a smile.

Not all posts are meant for all 40,000 posters. It's quite simple to ignore a post and or poster. (Claire has kindly given you the function).

Better tell Michael McIntyre to stop touring, not all seven billion people like his stuff.

hahaha

i didnt even see it initially

was a harmless joke
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2483 on: October 17, 2017, 01:16:51 pm »
Happy days. We'll twat* Denmark

* 1-0 after 180 minutes, courtesy of a scrappy Daryl Murphy goal in the 2nd leg.

Good draw for Norn Iron too. 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2484 on: October 17, 2017, 01:18:48 pm »
Luck of the Irish?*

*Other cliches are available

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2485 on: October 17, 2017, 01:22:47 pm »
Probably the best possible draw for Ireland but not a tie I expect them to win. If Eriksen gets injured they might have a chance.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2486 on: October 17, 2017, 01:28:42 pm »
Probably the best possible draw for Ireland but not a tie I expect them to win. If Eriksen gets injured they might have a chance.

Roy Keane turns up at Danish training session:
'Hey. That's a nice Christian Eriksen you got there. Shame if anything - say a concussion, as a random example - happened to him'. *Spits on ground, stubs cigarette out with shoe*

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2487 on: October 17, 2017, 01:43:31 pm »
As good as we could have hoped for, quietly confident of us getting through this.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2488 on: October 17, 2017, 05:30:19 pm »
You don't expect us to win ever!

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2489 on: October 18, 2017, 05:05:24 pm »
I think this will be very tough. Denmark are no mugs and will be favourites. An away goal in the first leg will be vital.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2490 on: October 18, 2017, 11:29:16 pm »
I think this will be very tough. Denmark are no mugs and will be favourites. An away goal in the first leg will be vital.
Really don't like the idea of losing over there and having to chase the game at home, that ain't us. What is us is getting a 0-1 result and sitting back at the Aviva and hopefully get one on the break. We can do this, the same fears where there against Bosnia two years ago, better team on paper but we bossed that over two legs. It won't be easy but as has been proven plenty of times in the MON era we are well capable of carving out a result against teams ranked above. They won't like having to play us either. Eire Abu

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2491 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:58 am »
Really don't like the idea of losing over there and having to chase the game at home, that ain't us. What is us is getting a 0-1 result and sitting back at the Aviva and hopefully get one on the break. We can do this, the same fears where there against Bosnia two years ago, better team on paper but we bossed that over two legs. It won't be easy but as has been proven plenty of times in the MON era we are well capable of carving out a result against teams ranked above. They won't like having to play us either. Eire Abu
remember the first leg?

christ that was foggy. couldnt see a thing on the telly, if it wasnt an important game id have turned it off

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2492 on: October 19, 2017, 06:50:34 pm »
remember the first leg?

christ that was foggy. couldnt see a thing on the telly, if it wasnt an important game id have turned it off
The tie turned when that fog came down, we had been soaking up a fair bit of pressure before it. Brady's goal came through a haze, was one of the oddest goals I've ever celebrated, I doubt Brady even saw it hit the net himself. The fog was so thick that Bosnia found it even more difficult to respond and it really could have been called off, we were happy out. I'd really feel aggrieved about that if I was Bosnian, but they are the breaks. Still, doesnt excuse there lack of stomach for a fight at Lansdowne when Johnny Walters ran over them. 

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #2493 on: October 20, 2017, 01:36:28 am »
Really hope i can get to the Aviva for the second leg, will be flying out from Italy the first leg and will miss the damn second half, priced going to denmark and not a prayer.

COYBIG
YNWA

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2494 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:55 am »
Really hope i can get to the Aviva for the second leg, will be flying out from Italy the first leg and will miss the damn second half, priced going to denmark and not a prayer.

COYBIG
My season ticket proving to be good value now. Demand apparently out stripping all other Ireland play offs.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2495 on: October 20, 2017, 10:15:50 am »
The tie turned when that fog came down, we had been soaking up a fair bit of pressure before it. Brady's goal came through a haze, was one of the oddest goals I've ever celebrated, I doubt Brady even saw it hit the net himself. The fog was so thick that Bosnia found it even more difficult to respond and it really could have been called off, we were happy out. I'd really feel aggrieved about that if I was Bosnian, but they are the breaks. Still, doesnt excuse there lack of stomach for a fight at Lansdowne when Johnny Walters ran over them. 
yeah i dont recall them doing much in dublin, think they hit the bar late on but we were two up

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2496 on: November 11, 2017, 11:28:37 pm »
Denmark had the ball but that was ok with Ireland. It’s not that the ball isn’t Ireland’s friend, it’s more that it’s a neighbour they stopped talking to a long time ago for reasons nobody can quite remember, but both sides are now too stubborn to reconcile.

Ireland shunned the ball, they drove by it when it was standing at a bus stop in the rain, they turned round and went down a different aisle when they saw it in the supermarket. They wanted nothing to do with it. They found cruel and unusual ways to mistreat it. Brady overhit a simple pass to McClean and then, seconds later, McClean launched a ball in the air for no apparent reason when he appeared to be attempting a cross. But the move wasn’t over. McClean chased down the ball and crossed for O’Dowda who, stunned by the improbability of the whole thing, then miscontrolled it. This was Ireland’s version of Pele’s dummy against Uruguay in 1970.

- Dion Fanning.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2497 on: November 12, 2017, 12:25:39 am »
Dreadful.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2498 on: November 12, 2017, 02:31:53 am »
Absolute shite of course. But at this point on the right side of putrid anti life, anti football

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2499 on: November 12, 2017, 04:00:24 am »
Putrid football. I hope Eriksen & co wins
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2500 on: November 12, 2017, 07:52:48 am »
Was hoping for a score draw , not the worst result but very disappointing performance, just hope we try to play football at home .

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2501 on: November 12, 2017, 11:15:46 am »
Why are we getting all the blame!

Putrid football. I hope Eriksen & co wins
Did you not see how shite they were as well.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #2502 on: November 12, 2017, 11:33:00 am »
If we were wearing blue and had Buffon in goal it'd be called a defensive masterclass.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2503 on: November 12, 2017, 11:40:10 am »
If we were wearing blue and had Buffon in goal it'd be called a defensive masterclass.
Exactly and worth adding as well we actually beat Italy at the Euros last year

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2504 on: November 12, 2017, 12:17:30 pm »
I honestly dont know who people think we are. Republic of Ireland ffs not Brazil.
The glory days of Jackies army are long gone but some think we're still playing that brand of mesmerising football.
bollocks

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2505 on: November 12, 2017, 12:32:45 pm »
I honestly dont know who people think we are. Republic of Ireland ffs not Brazil.
The glory days of Jackies army are long gone but some think we're still playing that brand of mesmerising football.
If we get over Tuesday it will mean three out of four tournament qualifications in six years just like Jack's side.

These are glory days, enjoy it lads!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2506 on: November 12, 2017, 12:35:50 pm »
We've been playing the same way for 20 odd years, why is anyone surprised?

I'd take another 0-0 and a win on pens, and I would love every single tedious minute of it.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #2507 on: November 12, 2017, 12:42:39 pm »
We've been playing the same way for 20 odd years, why is anyone surprised?

I'd take another 0-0 and a win on pens, and I would love every single tedious minute of it.
A brief period during the McCarthy era we played a bit of football but even that is overrated considering we had big Quinny up front.

Dane's won't like the situation they are in one bit. Bosnia arrived two years ago, a side who were also touted as technically superior, they wilted and we convincingly won on the night. Nothing tells me we can't do the exact same Tuesday.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2508 on: November 12, 2017, 12:50:03 pm »

Aye we in the North get the same bollocks thrown at us from the afficionados on here and elsewhere. Fucking tedious. We are all in a small nation that plays the way we have to in order to try and get results. Its not like England with 10 times the population and 1000 times the money pull up any trees after all.  So come on the North and the South!!  If the purists don't want to be bored there is an off switch on the telly; theres also the pub, the pictures or 10 pin bowling to do instead if they're so fucking cheesed off. Or watch re-runs of the 'England at the Euros 2016' DVD.

Or they could watch footage of the interaction between locals and Irish fans at any place we go.  Or enjoy riots by England fans if they prefer action-adventure. 

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2509 on: November 12, 2017, 12:57:36 pm »
The population stuff is a bit redundant, if it's so important China and India should be dominating every sport. Croatia have a slightly smaller population than Ireland too and they're churning out quality footballers all over the place. I will absolutely agree that Ireland add loads a tournament though, the World Cup would be much better off if their fans can make the trip to Russia.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2510 on: November 12, 2017, 01:10:10 pm »
Its difficult living abroad when all I can do is watch it on tv at home or maybe with the one other local Irishman down the pub.Its great having the craic on here no matter how shite we might be.
Jackies days were fantastic back home in Dublin. Never witnessed any hysteria like it. The country was gripped in football fever. The tshirts were brilliantly funny. I was 'living' in a hostel in Ballyfermot at the time. There was a pub just down the road which wouldn't ordinarily allow us in but they did such was the high spirits back then. We ended up on the roof waving our flags :-) They didn't care.
Hopefully we can qualify on Tuesday so that fever will grip the country again.
Fantastic times.
bollocks

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2511 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:30 pm »
The population stuff is a bit redundant, if it's so important China and India should be dominating every sport. Croatia have a slightly smaller population than Ireland too and they're churning out quality footballers all over the place. I will absolutely agree that Ireland add loads a tournament though, the World Cup would be much better off if their fans can make the trip to Russia.

do Croatia have two of their own national sports that are as popular if not more popular here than Soccer?  do they also have to compete with Rugby on top of that?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2512 on: November 12, 2017, 01:36:23 pm »
The population stuff is a bit redundant, if it's so important China and India should be dominating every sport.

I fully agree. That being said, I still can't help but wonder why Irelands talent pool of footballers has dried up so much in the last 20 years.

When you compare our current squad to the likes of Shay Given, Denis Irwin, Steve Staunton, Dave O'Leary, Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Ronnie Whelan, Liam Brady, Kevin Sheedy, Damien Duff and even Robbie Keane - one can't help but wonder why we're no longer producing players that are even remotely close to being in the same bracket quality wise
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2513 on: November 12, 2017, 01:36:25 pm »
do Croatia have two of their own national sports that are as popular if not more popular here than Soccer?  do they also have to compete with Rugby on top of that?

According to a stat I found about 130,000 Croatians participate in football. I very much doubt participation in soccer/football in Ireland is significantly lower than that.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2514 on: November 12, 2017, 01:48:02 pm »
I fully agree. That being said, I still can't help but wonder why Irelands talent pool of footballers has dried up so much in the last 20 years.

When you compare our current squad to the likes of Shay Given, Denis Irwin, Steve Staunton, Dave O'Leary, Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Ronnie Whelan, Liam Brady, Kevin Sheedy, Damien Duff and even Robbie Keane - one can't help but wonder why we're no longer producing players that are even remotely close to being in the same bracket quality wise

I don't know much about coaching in Ireland but I would say that it has to be looked at. It's nigh on impossible to play outdoor football in Iceland for a large chunk of the year, so they built proper indoor football centres and look at how it's paying off for them.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2515 on: November 12, 2017, 01:59:13 pm »
i agree. the coaching here is shite especially when you move out of Dublin and maybe Cork

as someone who grew up playing soccer in rural ireland it always felt that there was no interest whatsoever and the coaching was absolutely terrible. never learned a thing and the whole emphasis was always on physicality and winning at all costs. you had to be 6 foot + to play in central midfield. most couldnt identify a young players best position on the pitch despite it being fairly obvious in some cases.

there are definitely players that i played with or against that had the ability to at least get a trial that never did.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2516 on: November 12, 2017, 02:28:57 pm »

No, I think all sports are banned in Croatia apart from football.

They’re massively into basketball there I think aren’t they?

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2517 on: November 12, 2017, 03:15:16 pm »
Why are we getting all the blame!
Did you not see how shite they were as well.
Next time don’t complain when team park the bus against us
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2518 on: November 12, 2017, 03:23:51 pm »
Next time don’t complain when team park the bus against us

to be honest i generally give the lesser teams a pass when they park the bus against us especially when they come to Anflield. Yes its infuriating but these sides are usually quite limited and need to play this way. Ireland are similar at international level.

the likes of Mourinhos united or chelsea coming and parking the bus is completely different though.

funny thing about Ireland is that they tend to play more when they come up against top sides.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2519 on: November 12, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »
There's a bit of a difference between playing defensively, and hammering the ball as far upfield as you can regardless of how much time you have on the ball.

It works as you seem to be exceptionally coached at the back and have players who can mop up the forced crosses all day, but don't pretend that you don't have the players to do better than that going forwards. League Two teams do.