Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 631010 times)

Offline Spirit_of_Istanbul

• 100º Proof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Re: GAA Thread 2012
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:22 am »
I NEVER NEVER NEVER wear a Meath jersey unless I'm training, even then I usually don't. I detest seeing people out and about in county jerseys. When I lived in Sydney if I walked into a pub and there was a bunch of people wearing county jerseys in, I'd turn on my heels and walk out.

Same as Mackeroo. when living in Sydney that T Gardens place or the other kip down the road was full of people wearing jerseys, mainly 'women' too which was worse. I think they used to do a deal where by if you wore your jersey you got a free pint. Avoided Bondi / Bondi junction like the plauge on Sundays, well actually most days. Meath going alrigh but wouldn't count yesterdays win as WestMeath are shite and thye were missing half their team.

Very frustrating for the Dubs game being called at half time although not much you can do, we really need to address the red cards it will cost us in the long run. Good win for Tyrone and win of the wkend for Armagh. Kerry were 1/14 which was utter madness.

I done an accumulator for the league of Tyrone for Div 2, Fermanagh for Div 4, Louth to get relegated from Div 2, Clare to win 1b Hurling and Cross to win club all ireland. Was 90/1 at the start, it's 42/1 now.. Worried about Louth, could have done with them losing yesterday.
"There is no one, anywhere in the world, at any stage, who is any bigger or any better than this football club."

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:29 am »
Same as Mackeroo. when living in Sydney that T Gardens place or the other kip down the road was full of people wearing jerseys, mainly 'women' too which was worse. I think they used to do a deal where by if you wore your jersey you got a free pint. Avoided Bondi / Bondi junction like the plauge on Sundays, well actually most days. Meath going alrigh but wouldn't count yesterdays win as WestMeath are shite and thye were missing half their team.

Very frustrating for the Dubs game being called at half time although not much you can do, we really need to address the red cards it will cost us in the long run. Good win for Tyrone and win of the wkend for Armagh. Kerry were 1/14 which was utter madness.

I done an accumulator for the league of Tyrone for Div 2, Fermanagh for Div 4, Louth to get relegated from Div 2, Clare to win 1b Hurling and Cross to win club all ireland. Was 90/1 at the start, it's 42/1 now.. Worried about Louth, could have done with them losing yesterday.

Ditto. I lived in Randwick and avoided Bondi Junction at all costs, unless I was going for a chinese or to the Westfield. Absolute dive. Bondi had a few decent spots, provided you avoided certain places.

Meath doing ok, played well last week, and were decent again yesterday by all accounts, but Westmeath weren't great. The game was in Mullingar but seemingly Meath fans outnumbered the locals by about 6-1. That kind of says a lot about their expectations.

McCarthy's red card for Dublin was harsh enough in itself, but it's even harsher that it isn't being rescinded considering the game was abandoned, and therefore considered null and void. Ridiculous that he's still getting suspended.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:08 am »
I don't like the modern style jersey's. However I did get this a while back and I would wear to probably most games

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

• 100º Proof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2012, 10:09:59 am »
Ditto. I lived in Randwick and avoided Bondi Junction at all costs, unless I was going for a chinese or to the Westfield. Absolute dive. Bondi had a few decent spots, provided you avoided certain places.

Meath doing ok, played well last week, and were decent again yesterday by all accounts, but Westmeath weren't great. The game was in Mullingar but seemingly Meath fans outnumbered the locals by about 6-1. That kind of says a lot about their expectations.

McCarthy's red card for Dublin was harsh enough in itself, but it's even harsher that it isn't being rescinded considering the game was abandoned, and therefore considered null and void. Ridiculous that he's still getting suspended.

Livend in Randwick too! Right at the racecourse there..

Yeah Westmeath are a joke, even with the Garycastle players coming back don't think it will make a difference.

Did anyone see the row in the Kildare game? Missed it myself, was it handbags?
"There is no one, anywhere in the world, at any stage, who is any bigger or any better than this football club."

Offline Sinead7

• Many hands make brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our revenge will be the laughter of our children
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2012, 10:10:40 am »

You're female? I always assumed you were a bloke!

Nope, you know what assuming did ;)
Trapps Army 2012

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2012, 10:13:14 am »

I lived behind the Coach & Horses. I drank in The Royal though, much more civilised :D

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2012, 10:17:54 am »

Yeah Westmeath are a joke, even with the Garycastle players coming back don't think it will make a difference.

Did anyone see the row in the Kildare game? Missed it myself, was it handbags?

Aye, handbags really. Everyone piling in, pushing and shoving. One or two punches thrown but all in all, handbags.

• 100º Proof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2012, 12:37:23 pm »
Anyone know if it's one or two teams that promoted from each division?

Cheers

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2012, 01:45:06 pm »
Anyone know if it's one or two teams that promoted from each division?

Cheers
Two up two down. This year they've brought back the semi finals for the two top teams from divisions one and two to contest, which is proper order really. Kerry missed out on a league final last year because of a head to head record against cork even though we were streaks ahead of them in points difference

Offline Sinead7

• Many hands make brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our revenge will be the laughter of our children
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2012, 05:06:11 pm »
I think thats bullshit, whoever finishes top of the league win it. Imagine at the end of the EPL they ask the top 2 teams to play off?
Trapps Army 2012

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2012, 05:17:46 pm »
I think thats bullshit, whoever finishes top of the league win it. Imagine at the end of the EPL they ask the top 2 teams to play off?
Bit different though there's far more rounds in the EPL. Its the way it was always, in fact there was quarter finals before the mid 90's. It gives teams the prize of more competitive action before the championship which is more useful than than winning the thing.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2012, 12:06:17 am »
GREATEST JERSEY IN THE HISTORY OF SPORT

Imagine running out there with the Bucky logo emblazoned across your chest? Lets do it for the monks lads.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2012, 12:13:34 am »

Imagine running out there with the Bucky logo emblazoned across your chest? Lets do it for the monks lads.

Looks too much like something yad see on The Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2012, 12:43:40 pm »

What team is that?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »
What team is that?
St Mary's college London. They've no website our anything. If they did Id buy one.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2012, 02:46:36 pm »
Anyone watching Crokes and Cross at the moment? Great game, Crokes playing against a strong breeze in the first, but unlucky not to be ahead by more, Cross got scores when they had to and a crucial goal, 1-4 to 1-6 as it stands now at half time.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »
Did Brigid's beat Garycastle?

Offline toomanysteves

• Kopite
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2012, 04:31:13 pm »
Anyone watching Crokes and Cross at the moment? Great game, Crokes playing against a strong breeze in the first, but unlucky not to be ahead by more, Cross got scores when they had to and a crucial goal, 1-4 to 1-6 as it stands now at half time.

Fantastic win and display from Cross. To come back as they did, lose a player and then be pegged back BUT still have the guts to keep at it shows why they have been so successful for the last decade. jamie clarke and aaron kernan were superb.
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2012, 04:43:52 pm »
Fantastic win and display from Cross. To come back as they did, lose a player and then be pegged back BUT still have the guts to keep at it shows why they have been so successful for the last decade. jamie clarke and aaron kernan were superb.
Great win indeed and great game, Crokes will wonder what went wrong, but magnificent display by Cross in the second half,  cleaning up at midfield and showing that determination and skill that has seen them champions so often. You can take a few things from today, Jamie Clarke is one of the best forwards in the country, McConville is still good enough for the championship and Cross are a truly magnificent club.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »
Watching UTV sport there and after the Bint had stopped telling me about a scottish club being well supported since their recent administration, she then audaciously claims Cross were beaten today. IN DUBLIN.

;D
YNWA

Offline verbal kint

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2012, 07:51:21 pm »
Did Brigid's beat Garycastle?

Nope lost by 2.
Somebody said recently that having Rafa as the manager means not giving a shit who you get in a Champions' League draw...........

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2012, 09:05:14 pm »
Name the best 15 players (from either code) who you have seen live in the flesh

Seeing them on TV isn't allowed, you have to have been at a game where you actually saw them live in person

I'll start with my hurling team, I'll do my football team in a while. Here goes

1. Brendan Cummins
2. Noel Hickey
3. Brian Lohan
4. Tony Browne
5. Brian Whelehan
6. Brian Corcoran
7. Tommy Walsh
8. Ken McGrath
9. Jerry O'Connor
10. Henry Shefflin
11. John Troy
12. Martin Storey
13. Nicky English
14. DJ Carey
15. Joe Deane

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2012, 09:33:25 pm »
Stephan Cluxton
Marc O'Se
Darren Fay
Ryan McMenamin
Michael Donnellan
Seamus Moynahan
Tomas O'Se
Darragh O'Se
Jack O'Shea
Brian Dooher
Paul Galvin
Ja Fallon
Colm Cooper
Maurice Fitzgerald
Peter Canavan

What a team like, every single one of them as good as anyone who's played the game, and a few who are completely peerless. I feel honored to have seen those lads trod the earth.

Offline 51cam

• Because 5 + 1 = 7 ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2012, 02:05:51 pm »
Any stream for the inters lads?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:51 pm »
What do ye all think of the GAA as an organisation?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2012, 10:40:24 pm »
What do ye all think of the GAA as an organisation?

That question is a bit overly specific

Could you make it a bit more vague? As I'm not sure how to answer it

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:10 pm »
Just watching the Cork Waterford game from the weekend now on Setanta

Promising signs of recovery.

Hopefully we can get a crack at Kilkenny at some point in the Championship

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2012, 01:24:43 am »
Conor Lehane look something special alright a serious prospect for the future, reminds me of Joe Deane's emergence in JBM's first stint.

I think the shot at Killkenny is a bit premature, seeing Sean Og back and playing in midfield wouldn't fill me with confidence of where the team is headed although he did get a point! Kilkenny looked electric against Tipp and played what was essentially championship Hurling in February. Tipp looked to be reeling a bit from last September and the retirement of big Lar, but take nothing away from The Cats they were awesome.

Again

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2012, 09:30:58 am »

I think the shot at Killkenny is a bit premature,

Its the only real way to gauge where we really are though, and how far we need to go to get back competing

If they were to hammer us by 15 points then we'll know exactly where we stand

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2012, 12:55:10 pm »
GAA are making a statement this afternoon regarding the payments to match officials

Longford referees have followed the Wexford refs into threatening to withdraw their services

Des Cahill was on radio 1 this morning talking about it

Apparently a lot of refs who do club games are unemployed and payments from GAA headquarters could affect their social welfare payments

Thoughts?

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #190 on: March 2, 2012, 03:24:32 am »
Louth 6-35 Kilkenny 0-2

Sweet baby Jesus the score of last nights u21 football tie between the two sides, a 50 point massacre by the wee county. The Kilkenny hurlers wouldn't beat us by that. Well they probably would, but not by much more!

Apparently The Cats only turned up with the bare 15. I know they dont give two shags about Football, but still it must be very embarrassing for the players. Its at the stage now where it should be looked at weather they compete at all in any level. Which is appalling really.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: March 2, 2012, 03:24:34 am »
I wouldn't mind but there are some very good underage footballing teams in Kilkenny up until 15/16, then they all seem to either stick to hurling or just pack it in altogether.

I've been asked several times to play for the senior footballing team. I don't enjoy losing and I certainly don't enjoy being handed a shiny new arse.

Offline Mackeroo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: March 2, 2012, 09:46:36 am »
Kilkenny had a squad of 26 selected for the game but 11 didn't turn up on the night for whatever reason. That's a pretty damning indictment of the state of football in the county right there.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #193 on: March 2, 2012, 12:50:06 pm »
I wouldn't mind but there are some very good underage footballing teams in Kilkenny up until 15/16, then they all seem to either stick to hurling or just pack it in altogether.
Iv heard that. Have they not heard of being a dual player? They could easily trot out for the footballers at u21 and minor, shur Paul Galvin's first appearance in Croke Park in a Kerry jersey was with the u21 hurlers.

Here's a few quotes from Tom Duggan, vice chairman of the Kilkenny football board, I like him reminds me of Comical Ali.

“We had so many players listed to travel to play the game and they were caught up with exams, they were caught up with colleges, they were caught up with hurling, this type of thing.

“We weren’t aware of it at all. I contacted a couple of players to see if they were available and when I contacted them, they weren’t available. Work and exams come before a lot of things in this day and age.

"We had 15. We had a team, and that team played to the best of their ability. I wouldn’t have one negative word to say about that team or the management of that team."

“If we were playing them in hurling, we wouldn’t go to town on Louth as they did on us. Up to the 60th minute, they were still going for goals. Only for the effectiveness of our goalkeeper, we could’ve been down by an awful lot more"

“It’s not a big deal, everybody knows Kilkenny football. And if they don’t know Kilkenny football, they don’t know anything about sport."

When you look at the 15 guys who were there last night after the match, ok they were disheartened alright but they’ll be back to play football again.

"You get a lot of negative press about this kind of thing, but we’re there, we compete, and we compete to our ability."

“It’s the same in the National Football League. They go out there and when they come off the pitch and back onto the bus, [they're asking] when are we playing next.”

In think the last comment is particularly sweet. They'd make a great movie

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #194 on: March 2, 2012, 06:02:14 pm »
Was talking to a lad today who played for Louth and he said even he felt a little bit weird about the whole situation. Got a bit feisty aswell because Louth management kept drumming into the lads to keep on pushing forward. Said even a few of the Louth lads spoke up after the game and said the management team where out of line.
Bet 1, Lyon v B Munich...No Hat Trick @ 1.03.
Little does he know, he's left the Beatles and joined fucking Razorlight.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #195 on: March 2, 2012, 06:53:31 pm »
When you think about it though, you can't really blame the majority of youngsters in Kilkenny for wanting to focus on hurling. Seeing their county senior team racking up titles to bate the band is obviously a big influence. They associate success with hurling, and naturally want to try and follow suit themselves. Same with Kerry at the other end of the spectrum. They see football as the only potential road to glory. That's the hard thing about being from Cork really, the choice isn't so easy for us like.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #196 on: March 2, 2012, 07:01:35 pm »
Was talking to a lad today who played for Louth and he said even he felt a little bit weird about the whole situation. Got a bit feisty aswell because Louth management kept drumming into the lads to keep on pushing forward. Said even a few of the Louth lads spoke up after the game and said the management team where out of line.
Bad form alright, but its not the first of its kind

NFL Div3(sth) 03-11-1986 Clare 6.25 Kilkenny 0.00
NFL Div3(sth) 09-02-1987 Tipperary 21-16 Kilkenny 2.03  :o

That was a particularly bad Kilkenny side.

When you think about it though, you can't really blame the majority of youngsters in Kilkenny for wanting to focus on hurling. Seeing their county senior team racking up titles to bate the band is obviously a big influence. They associate success with hurling, and naturally want to try and follow suit themselves. Same with Kerry at the other end of the spectrum. They see football as the only potential road to glory. That's the hard thing about being from Cork really, the choice isn't so easy for us like.

I see instead of being good at one thing you're mediocre at both :P

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #197 on: March 2, 2012, 07:07:17 pm »

I see instead of being good at one thing you're mediocre at both :P

20 All Ireland final appearances in the last 30 years aint to bad like :P

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #198 on: March 2, 2012, 07:14:37 pm »
20 All Ireland final appearances in the last 30 years aint to bad like :P
Out of curiosity what is the win ratio? Decent number alright. Its a pity Hurling isnt played in Tralee, I reckon we'd be competitive.

Kerry and Cork are currently tied on combined senior AI's, 37 each ;)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #199 on: March 2, 2012, 10:34:43 pm »
Out of curiosity what is the win ratio?

The win ratio isn't actually that great. We ended up losing 11 of those 20 finals

We lost 82(H), 83(H), 87(F), 88(F), 92(H), 93(F), 99(F), 03(H), 06(H), 07(F), 09(F)

We won 84(H), 86(H), 89(F), 90(F), 90(H), 99(H), 04(H), 05(H), 11(F)

We played Meath twice in 88 so technically its played 21, won 9, drew 1, lost 11