Author Topic: American Horror Story - FX UK  (Read 19155 times)

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
American Horror Story - FX UK
« on: November 5, 2011, 12:21:02 am »
I saw the pilot & second episode of this today & thought it was brilliant. It is plain bizarre in places & if it was a horror film would be very typical & cliched in parts, but as a TV series it's something new & fresh. There are some familiar faces in it too.

Going down an absolute storm in the States it starts here on Monday on FX UK at 10pm.

Highly recommended.

http://fxuk.com/shows/american-horror-story/about

Trailer

http://fxuk.com/shows/american-horror-story/videos/1250312063001/trailer

Would be interesting to know what everyone thinks!

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
Re: American Horror Story - FX UK
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2011, 09:28:56 am »
I've downloaded the first five episodes after a recommendation from a friend.  Yet to watch any, but it sounds quite good.

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2011, 02:05:33 pm »
Shall be taking a look at it , im a sucker for stuff like this .
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 7, 2011, 08:19:08 pm »
Thanks RedRich84. On tonight at 10.00pm. Anybody else seen this?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2011, 09:10:44 pm »
Thanks RedRich84. On tonight at 10.00pm. Anybody else seen this?

No probs! Really recommend people having a watch, I thought it was great. Although it (& me) will prob get slated now  ;D

Let us know what you think RAWKites...

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2011, 09:13:44 pm »
I've seen the first three episodes- I'm going to stick with it for the rest of the series :) Have to say it's made me jump a couple of times! I was surprised it's not as sanitised as some US stuff- I mean that in a good way. I'm with you on this one Rich!
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2011, 10:52:16 am »
I've watched the first 4 episodes and can honestly say I haven't got a fucking clue what's going on. The show's absolutely mental, and I can't help feeling they're throwing far too much in there all at the same time. This poor Ben fucker for instance...

Spoiler

He's got a pregant wife who dislikes him
His daughter doesn't seem to like him too much either
His main patient likes to tell him how he wants to fuck his daughter - he may or may not be a ghost
He's got a burned dude after him for money - who may or may not be a ghost
He had an ex-mistress who won't leave him alone
That ex-mistress is now pregnant with his baby and won't have an abortion
Said burned guy then kills said pregnant mistress and he has to bury her
His house gets broken in to by three psychos
He has everyone who visits the house want to fuck him
He's seeing things others aren't
Dead pregnant mistress then comes back from the dead

[close]

I mean fucking hell, you'd have had a nervous breakdown by now. Just when you think you're figuring something out on this show they throw loads more weird stuff at you.

Having said all that, I am enjoying the ride, so will keep watching. But fuck me is it mental.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 8, 2011, 06:24:15 pm »
I watched the first episode and it was a bit all over the place , as Doc said think they tried to cram to much into 1 episode - but it did make me jump a couple of times so i'll keep watching see how it goes .

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2011, 06:30:47 pm »
I watched the first episode and it was a bit all over the place , as Doc said think they tried to cram to much into 1 episode - but it did make me jump a couple of times so i'll keep watching see how it goes .

Episode one is nothing compared to how it gets. It's a fucking mental show.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 8, 2011, 06:32:48 pm »
Enjoying it.

Fucked up though..

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 8, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »
Episode one is nothing compared to how it gets. It's a fucking mental show.

Ive got to keep watching now havent i , think i'll download a couple .  That house maid is tidy as fuck  :)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2011, 09:40:03 am »
Repeated on the 11th and 13th for anyone who missed the pilot (like me!)

Is it Twin Peaks mental?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2011, 09:58:30 am »
I actually didn't think Twin Peaks was that mental. It was extremely odd at times, but I could always follow the plot, regardless of how strange things got.

I've watched five episodes of American Horror Story and it's all over the place. At times they just seem to be randomly throwing stuff at the screen. I'm going to stick with it, but it seems like a chore at times.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 9, 2011, 11:21:52 am »
Is it Twin Peaks mental?

There are some slight similarities there. Jessica Lange's character would fit right in to Twin Peaks with ease, for instance.

It's just a bit all over the place at the moment, but if they can explain things over the course of the remaining 7 episodes of the series then it'll be something well worth sticking with. It's just that at the moment you're 5 episodes in and pretty confused.

Having said that, things are a little clearer after episode 5 than they were after 3 and 4. There were some answers given and other things became more obvious. The long and short of it seems to be that...

Spoiler
Anyone who has died in the house is bound to it as a ghost now.

And somehow Jessica Lange's involved, as is her son. You're just not sure how just yet.
[close]

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:55:31 am »
Watched this the other day and thought it was weird but excellent in its originality at the same time.  I haven't looked at any of the spoilers but I'm guessing that the "mongoloid" is actually the kid of whoever or whatever is haunting the place.  That's why she feels she can come and go as she pleases.  Just a wild stab in the dark!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 12:08:21 pm »
Downloaded episode 4 and 5 last night, it went turbo mental!! I'm still watching it going "what? who??" but I'm going to stick with it. There's 13 episodes isn't there? God only knows how this is gonna end!

Oh and rednile- housemaid? Tidy? I hope you mean....well, you know what I'm getting at lol ;)
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 12:12:24 pm »
Ive got to keep watching now havent i , think i'll download a couple .  That house maid is tidy as fuck  :)

I assume you're on about the young one, and yes, yes she is. She was in Dirt as well.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:40 pm »
Watched episode 1 yesterday and it's pretty sadistic like...but going to stick with it. Gives me something to watch on Monday nights!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 08:32:10 pm »
Watched it last night, thought it was very good.  Nice and twisted and a bit sick.  Looks like it could be a good one.  Certainly better than the Walking Dead.

The house maid who was also in six feet under? I thought you chaps would have preferred the younger model!  ;)

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 09:03:01 pm »
Fucking hell, the beginning of the recent episode was brutal.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 12:57:19 pm »
Caught the pilot on anytime last night and was really impressed! Got upto episode 6 downloaded and cant wait to get them watched tonight.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Benjiman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 12:13:20 am »
I wasn't so sure I liked it after the first episode, but I stuck with it and I can say that after watching the first 5 eps that it is an excellent watch even though I haven't a clue exactly what is going on and where it is heading.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 02:08:40 pm »
It's still a little all over the place but I do think it's revealing little things here and there as it goes on.

Quite a solid little series to be fair.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 02:34:02 pm »
I'm constantly on edge when I'm watching this. Sign of a good horror.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 12:20:07 pm »
This is a cracking programme. The maid scrubbing the floor with her panties on show being a particular highlight!!

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 06:38:39 pm »
This is a cracking programme. The maid scrubbing the floor with her panties on show being a particular highlight!!

She's awesome.

Only on episode 3 but loving it. Keeps you guessing the whole time. I know I started the thread but only on episode 3 myself, seems others are further ahead & it doesn't get any easier to figure out. Good stuff!

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 12:25:50 pm »
Episode 4 another good one. Who is the gimp suited man? Enjoying this as it seems anything can happen and therefore it's not predictable. Think there could be some real what the fuck moments later on. At least I hope so.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:10 pm »
Got them all sky plussed but the Mrs doesn't like the look of it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #28 on: December 2, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »
watched 2 episodes so far and can honestly say that it is up there with bedlam as mind fucks go

completely confussing yet you cant take your eyes off it(especially the tidy young maid)

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 2, 2011, 08:01:47 pm »
Loving this series so far, watching each monday night on FX so only up to episode 4.

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 9, 2011, 06:04:07 am »
Anyone else up to date with the American's? Spoilers below for those that aren't.

Spoiler
First really shocking moment finding out that Violet had died during her initial suicide attempt. The actor that plays Tate is very talented, and he is by far the most interesting character in the series, he is so evil, but then around Violet he seems such a nice lad, and you sympathise with him.

Not sure about the series altogether, it eems to have turned from a horror into a drama, but with people dying left right and centre. It's literally been "new ghost introduction of the week" every week, the gay couple, the Black Dahlia, the burning family, the Montgomery couple who first owned the house, the would be murderers that Tate killed, Hayden.

The ghosts lost their scary factor a long time ago, and so did the house really, even the rubber man has been revealed so there's only really the Infantata that can provide the scares now (and maybe Vivien's twins).

Still a really good series, but not sure I'd call it a horror anymore.
[close]
PSN: DHitchers

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #31 on: December 9, 2011, 08:47:45 am »
Watched half the first episode, meh....
Shame cos I quite liked the concept. Too hammy for me.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 12:48:07 am »
Just finished watching this series and I'm not sure how I feel:

Spoiler
In the end there were too many anomolies and things that aren't explained properly. I understand that if you die in the house you can never leave but why is it just the Harmon family we can see at the end? Where are the gay couple for instance? Why did that girl Dr Harmon cheated on his wife with get her throat slit by Constance's last love affair when she had her baby? She was already dead.....How come everyone else is preserved at the age they died but the cleaner (from six feet under) is now old? etc etc

Apparently the second series is going to involve a new house and a new cast but some former cast members might return playing new roles. Not sure I like the sound of that! I really liked this series but I think the writers ran out of ideas by the end and certainly didn't envisage a second series. 
[close]

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 12:56:25 am »
The opening credits and theme music is brilliant, even if it does make my dogs bark. It is really unpleasant and unnerving - which is just what the series needs.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 02:00:23 pm »
Recently finished it. FX did a Christmas break around episode 6 which doesn't really work for a show like this, a show that is best when a mood is built up. Maybe why I felt first half was better then second half but there were other reasons: first few episodes had a few scares but then they seemed to stop that which was a pity. There was also an issue that there were two storylines that, for awhile, were powered by individuals and idea's but they both quietened down.
the story-lines
The first can be pretty much described as Tate and the second, the ghost of Hayden. Tate's psycho-side allowed him to be good use for scares early on and also was unsettling as he took part in Doctor Harman's sessions and began to woo Violet. There was always just enough done to remind me that Tate had issues and it always left a slightly unsettling element. Yet I find it hard not to like Tate, his relationship with Violet showed a really sweet side, as did the briefly shown efforts to please Nora, his relationship with Violet was great to watch for so long. I loved the Halloween episode and how Violet was willing to take charge on the beach, then throwing in the hints of what Tate once did through the dead. Yet once she knew his real self, it seemed like it was left to simmer for awhile, nice to watch but not the intresting and unsettling romance it was before until late on.

I sympathised and liked Hayden at first. Even when she became the chief villain, I could feel sorry for her at her frustrations or unhappiness when the show went down that route. At first, when she realized she was dead and became a evil ghost, she could be a driving force as she played with the heads of Vivian and Ben. She could be seductive, intelligent, slightly crazy and angry, charming and had some intresting schemes. They also had some intresting idea's like the unending rage or the sexual hunger. Yet after awhile, she just become a stock angry villain.
[close]
It did finish well though it felt like the last episode was a bit separate from the rest of the series and not really a grand finale.

Lots of things I liked, the early scares, a few jokes, the cast, most of the characters, a lot of the idea's, the ability to pull of a brilliant and shocking twist. I wasn't fond of Ben or Vivian but could be rather fond of minor characters we only saw in one or two episodes.  The problem was that it tried to do too much. There was the early chaos but even once that got sorted out, it could sometimes call back a character we hadn't seen for ages with no explanation
examples
Bully-turned-friend Leah is in the show early on, vanishes then turns up really late on. Or the murdered nurses who help in the penultimate episode.
[close]
. It tired to juggle too much and so left some characters underdeveloped or suddenly recalled after a few episodes gap
examples
Dr. Charles Montgomery or the children (bar Tate, Addie and Violet) in the house were underdeveloped. The gay couple and Nora were prone to vanished for episodes then making returns when needed.
[close]
Some stories seemed to end with a whimper or barely be picked up on after the episode, themes could last for only an episode or two then get dropped or get introduced very late on whenever the story would need it. 
examples
Tate's eager to please Nora, Hayden's anger/sex drive
[close]
Had they cut down on the characters and better planned fewer themes, think it would have been better for it. Or spread some of the stuff onto another series.

Pleased there will be a second series, not so much about what they announced for it.
Spoiler
New cast, new location, pretty much new everything. Makes sense to do that, keep it fresh and so on. Yet this groups story didn't quite feel complete, particularly for a few characters so would have liked to have seen a least one more season at that house.
[close]

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 4, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »
Just caught up on the first few episodes of this. Very decent. Jessica Lange is amazing.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 4, 2012, 05:37:19 pm »
Just caught up on the first few episodes of this. Very decent. Jessica Lange is amazing.

It gets better as well. Was quite a good little series all in all.

Pretty disappointed in their choice of direction for the second season.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 4, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »
Enjoyed it, watched the first 8 episodes back to back and then the rest on FX, good series, lots of room for development with the next (entirely new) season.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #38 on: February 5, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed this, left there it's destined to become a cult classic I reckon.  However, let's see what season 2 brings.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 06:59:54 pm »
New series is called American Horror Story: Asylum.  Trailer looks bloody freaky.