Author Topic: Does Kevin Keegan get enough recognition for what he achieved at Liverpool?  (Read 63347 times)

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
Love learning from these type of threads. Stupid question, but is Suarez as good as Keegan was. Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2011, 10:49:07 pm by ac »

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
No he doesn't, and I think the reason for that is when he left Kenny made sure we didn't miss him.

But that is not a valid reason to me. It was well known that he would leave, yet Keegan played till the very last minute and won us a European Cup that meant as much to
him as to us. What a contrast compared to the modern game.

Another one that deserves more recognition, maybe even more than Keegan, is Steve Nicol.

what people often forget though is that we signed another absolute colossus of a player a couple of months after kenny in souness, in effect we replaced keegan with two of the best players that ever played for the club and before that season was over alan hansen got into the side as well.
people often say kenny replaced keegan and was better but the whole side got better which must have helped kenny.
after keegan left us the way he did people werent interested in over analysing the situation though, everyone was just made up we had someone...anyone, who could fill keegans boots.
steve nicol was a great player and i mean great but the likes of keegan was a class above him, keegan was getting rave reviews from the moment he broke into the team and by the mid 70`s keegan was regarded as the best player in the country, keegan was a bit like suarez in the sense that everything seems to happen around him, the game revolved around keegan.

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
... by the mid 70`s keegan was regarded as the best player in the country, keegan was a bit like suarez in the sense that everything seems to happen around him, the game revolved around keegan.

Very true.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Hyypia headers

• Am I a Real Liverpool Fan...
  • Kopite
  • Impossible?
what people often forget though is that we signed another absolute colossus of a player a couple of months after kenny in souness, in effect we replaced keegan with two of the best players that ever played for the club and before that season was over alan hansen got into the side as well.
people often say kenny replaced keegan and was better but the whole side got better which must have helped kenny.
after keegan left us the way he did people werent interested in over analysing the situation though, everyone was just made up we had someone...anyone, who could fill keegans boots.
steve nicol was a great player and i mean great but the likes of keegan was a class above him, keegan was getting rave reviews from the moment he broke into the team and by the mid 70`s keegan was regarded as the best player in the country, keegan was a bit like suarez in the sense that everything seems to happen around him, the game revolved around keegan.

Have to agree with that. Souness and Hansen certainly helped Kenny.

Only about Nicol I disagree. I' ve had this discussion with many before. Just look at what Nicol has contributed to the sides he played in. Barness and Nicol on the wing is one of the best sights Liverpool fans ever saw. I'd rank Nicol just below Alan Hansen, but nothing lower than that. He is, to me, the best fullback we ever had.

But maybe we should keep this for another thread, before we forget Keegan again :) .
Let me tell you about the times when tackling was allowed

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
A Bloody good thread this...about time too....too many players have pulled on a red shirt and received unearned praise from Liverpool fans, Keegan, probably not enough...his status in Liverpools history is up there with the very best...the final proof is, he was good enough for Shanks and Paisley...and that is recognition enough.

I recall Keegan saying it frustrated the fuck out of him playing with  Joey Jones 'cos of his woeful passing...........but he'd have him in every team 'cos of the passion and spirit he brought ...Keegan understood football..and why not?.. he had the best teachers ever.

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
12 years old - first trip to Wembley and Kev scores 2 and I go home very very happy - first time I stayed in a hotel, first time I waded through a foot of urine and first time I saw Alec Lindsay score the greatest goal ever scored at Wemberlee chalked off for offside!!

Does he get enough recognition? From supporters of the era YES From the usual "He's a traitor" types NO. But who cares!! He was the feather cut maestro from Scunny that cost us flip all and gave me 4 years of joy along with Clemence, Smith, Lindsay, Lloyd, Hughes, Thompson (Phil) , Cormack, Callaghan, Case, Kennedy, Hall, Toshack, Heighway, Fairclough, Joey Jones (and any I've missed!!)

btw put in 1971-1977 Liverpool F C and half the sites refer to "Kevin Keegan"!!!!!!
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
Surely 'Wait for it!!!'s custom title should be "Sing lofty, sing!"

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
this club wouldnt be the club it is today without kevin keegan, ........ and bill shankly himself said keegan was the best player he ever signed, i think that says it all

What he said

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Kopite
Surely 'Wait for it!!!'s custom title should be "Sing lofty, sing!"

I thaaaank you, if i knew any Mods I would ask but hey ho!!!!!! But thanks oh Flasher
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
12 years old - first trip to Wembley and Kev scores 2 and I go home very very happy - first time I stayed in a hotel, first time I waded through a foot of urine and first time I saw Alec Lindsay score the greatest goal ever scored at Wemberlee chalked off for offside!!

Does he get enough recognition? From supporters of the era YES From the usual "He's a traitor" types NO. But who cares!! He was the feather cut maestro from Scunny that cost us flip all and gave me 4 years of joy along with Clemence, Smith, Lindsay, Lloyd, Hughes, Thompson (Phil) , Cormack, Callaghan, Case, Kennedy, Hall, Toshack, Heighway, Fairclough, Joey Jones (and any I've missed!!)

btw put in 1971-1977 Liverpool F C and half the sites refer to "Kevin Keegan"!!!!!!

....Terry Mac
Victorious and glorious....

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Kopite
....Terry Mac

How did I miss Terry Mc??? I am so sorry.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
Love learning from these type of threads. Stupid question, but is Suarez as good as Keegan was. Cheers.

they are quite similar mate but keegan was a bit quicker and fantastic in the air, very similar to cahill in that repect, something else keegan had which was often just as inspiring to the crowd was a reckless bravery.
he played with his heart on his sleeve and he`d often go for diving headers where the boots were flying and that sort of thing.
although he wasnt that tall he was one of the first footballers to really hit the weights so he was very strong for his size

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On a side note, how long did it take for people to realise how special Kenny was? Was it a seamless transition like Suarez making us forget Torres or a slow burner like Beardsley?

Nah Dalglish was fairly immediate.  Scored on his league debut away to 'boro, then followed up with a goal on his home debut v newcastle.  Think he also scored in the game shortly after this where Keegan's Hamburg where hammered 6-0, after which the kop taunted Keegan.  Dalglish arrived in a whirlwind as opposed to a 'seamless transition'.  Announced himself immediately.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
My first football hero, adored Kevin. He was such an honest player, in this day of million pound contracts you always knew what you'd get from Kevin. His committment was unquestionable even if he was having one of his less effective games, the effort would be total, he would never give in.  His skill level is under-rated in my opinion, he was not particularly the most natural gifted player, but the skill he had he would work at, and hone especially when he was put together with John Toshack. Surely one of the best partnerships of all time, almost telepathic.

I was never bitter when he left just gutted, but when you know a player has given everything for the cause, and they want a challenge somewhere else, sometimes you just have to let go. At the time I wished him good luck but worried about who would replace him.  Luckily Bob had all that in hand, brought us King Kenny and some other quality players. Great days they were.   
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
In reply to the original question in a word No. Like many others of a certain vintage Keegan was my first Liverpool idol, i adored the man, everything positive and good about Liverpool at that time seemed to revolve around KK, he was a fantastic footballer, not born with the natural ability of say a Cryuff or Best but the lad worked on his technique to become probably the best footballer in this country by the mid 70's.

Why has his legacy often been overlooked? Well i think it's  down to the man who replaced him, Keegan was a superb footballer but Kenny was something else and though i cried over Kev leaving it was quickly forgotten when i quickly realised just how great Kenny was, in many ways Keegan might be the unluckiest number 7 we ever had, having Kenny follow you severely hampered his legacy, Paul Walsh (not quite Keegan's level but still a very gifted player) suffered a similar fate in having to replace Kenny.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
Have to agree with that. Souness and Hansen certainly helped Kenny.

Only about Nicol I disagree. I' ve had this discussion with many before. Just look at what Nicol has contributed to the sides he played in. Barness and Nicol on the wing is one of the best sights Liverpool fans ever saw. I'd rank Nicol just below Alan Hansen, but nothing lower than that. He is, to me, the best fullback we ever had.

But maybe we should keep this for another thread, before we forget Keegan again :) .

Yeah we mustn't take this off thread but i agree totally about Nicol, defo in my top 20 LFC players of all time, in my dream LFC team i'd have him at RB and Lindsay at LB but of course in doing so i'd be breaking up the formidable Nicol/Barnes partnership.

Anyway back to Keegan, a true Liverpool legend.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Countless posts commenting on Kenny, read the fucking thread title

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Was absolutely gutted and heartbroken when he left. Then delighted when I saw the King.

Ditto this!

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Does Kevin Keegan get enough recognition for what he achieved at Liverpool?
« Reply #100 on: November 5, 2011, 01:18:08 am »
Keegan was fantastic. Along with Emlyn he was the inspiration for Shanks new team winning titles in 73 and our first European Trophy.

One of the best I've seen.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 5, 2011, 01:20:18 am »
Fantastic player, who isn't given the recognition he deserves, he was the catalyst, the last piece in the jigsaw for our seventies success.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #102 on: November 5, 2011, 01:49:06 am »
NO!

as great as Kevin was and he was great he will always be remembered as the guy we sold and got Kenny instead!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #103 on: November 5, 2011, 02:07:08 am »
Fantastic player, that somehow seems to get overlooked amonst our other legends - maybe I'm wrong but that's the sense i get from mates who are fans altho not the 'old' brigade. Is it because he wanted pastures new and to ply his talents in europe? I think that's probably the main issue (if there is an issue) some have, maybe smarting a bit in thinking keegan thought Liverpool wasn't big enough for him.

For me, total legend who I hold in as high a regard as our other legends. Rushie is my all time fav but before him it was keegan and he'll always be a red legend of the highest order in my eyes.

Really looking forward to the lfctv 60 mins tonite.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #104 on: November 5, 2011, 02:15:52 am »
Very lucky man. If he hadn't been replaced by such an amazing player he would have copped a fuck of a lot of flak for fucking us off for Hamburg.
Lots of revisionist shite on this thread, but the winner is vishy for that utterly embarrassing comparison to Fowler.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 5, 2011, 02:15:55 am »
Keegan Kenny

Torres Suarez? ;D
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #106 on: November 5, 2011, 02:18:51 am »
Having said that, yeah probably was underrated for the very reasons I mentioned. Putting everything else aside, yep top 10 material.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 5, 2011, 02:59:02 am »
Very lucky man. If he hadn't been replaced by such an amazing player he would have copped a fuck of a lot of flak for fucking us off for Hamburg.
Lots of revisionist shite on this thread, but the winner is vishy for that utterly embarrassing comparison to Fowler.

But in the same sense he was also unlucky in that had we not gone onto be the crushing machine we bacame under Bob with the player replacing him being the greatest imho to ever pull on the red shirt then we may have spent the next decade or two pining for Keegan and looking back as him being the greatest number 7 we ever had, all if's and buts of course but unlike John C above i don't believe you can discuss Keegan's legacy and why his achievements are often over looked without discussing the impact the wee Scot who came in to replace him had on that very legacy.

Offline Fazakerley Red

• No longer angry :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fazakerley Red
« Reply #108 on: November 5, 2011, 02:59:57 am »
kevin was the club's first superstar  he was a great player and a true liverpool legend  but does get over looked when he shouldnt .

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #109 on: November 5, 2011, 04:07:40 am »
kevin was the club's first superstar  he was a great player and a true liverpool legend  but does get over looked when he shouldnt .

I think someone else may of been Liddelpool's first superstar.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #110 on: November 5, 2011, 04:40:09 am »
I wonder if he ever looks back with regret at his decision to leave. It must of been hard busting his gut for Southampton and watching Liverpool go from strength to strength.

As you say though a real class act who worked his way to the top the hard way.

He turned us down for Southampton. And they were runners up in his first season there. And he was top goal scorer.

Would have been interesting seeing Dalglish and Keegan up front though.
The charity match a year or so ago, Kenny played and there were rumours Keegan was going to play.
That would have been the closest we'd have got to seeing them in the same team.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #111 on: November 5, 2011, 04:42:24 am »
But in the same sense he was also unlucky in that had we not gone onto be the crushing machine we bacame under Bob with the player replacing him being the greatest imho to ever pull on the red shirt then we may have spent the next decade or two pining for Keegan and looking back as him being the greatest number 7 we ever had, all if's and buts of course but unlike John C above i don't believe you can discuss Keegan's legacy and why his achievements are often over looked without discussing the impact the wee Scot who came in to replace him had on that very legacy.
I pine for punctuation, but I think I get your point.......

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 5, 2011, 06:53:37 am »
Keegan Kenny

Torres Suarez? ;D
y
Actually a bot of truth in that. Had we not replaced him so well his loss would of been felt much more deeply. He really was a terrific player. Luis reminds me of him with his industry. KK was always so vigorous just like Luis. He made so many runs and worked so hard that opposition sides just got broken down from his relentlessness. He might be a bit of a knob but he was a terrific player.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 5, 2011, 08:05:29 am »
Kevin Keegan has spoken of how Liverpool Football Club made him as a footballer and a person - and revealed how the possibility of a sensational Anfield return was once discussed.

Forty years after signing for the club, the player who helped make our No.7 jersey famous has given his most forthright and personal interview ever - and if you're an LFC TV Online subscriber then you can watch the entire 60 minutes before anyone else right now.

The transfer never happened and instead in 1980 he signed for a Southampton side managed by Lawrie McMenemy.

Keegan explained what happened: "It was an option. I was with Lawrie McMenemy at a charity event the other day and he said he phoned up Peter Robinson, because he wanted me but Liverpool had a clause, but Peter said, 'No, we won't be signing him, definitely, we don't need him.'

"Liverpool had moved on, got different players and partnerships, were just as successful and arguably about to be even more successful.

"In football terms, it's never easy to go back. You've had it happen over the years a couple of times and it's half worked but it's never really the same. My book had been written at Liverpool and it was a nice little book. I had a lot of good fun and a few little downs, which makes a good story.

"Every time I come back, even driving here today, I go past my old digs. You can't take the memories away but it was finished."

Despite firing a century of goals in 323 appearances for Liverpool, Keegan is perhaps associated more with Newcastle these days following his return to St James' Park as manager.

But despite his father being from the north-east, the 60-year-old regards Liverpool as the club to which he owes everything.

"Newcastle and Liverpool are the two," he said. "I played for and managed Newcastle, my father and all his relatives were from up there, so there was a big pull for me in the north-east. But Liverpool made me, not just as a footballer but as a person. The people I met: Shanks, Tommy Smith, Ian Callaghan, Ron Yeats. All these people you take something from.

"You think, what makes Emlyn Hughes so special on the football field? Fitness. I want to be fit. What makes Tommy Smith so special? He absolutely loves the club. I'll take a bit of that. Taking bits of those people made me. It was a very influential time for me.

"The fans made me. When they started singing my name! What am I, five foot seven with Cuban heeled boots? But (because of them) I was six foot six.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/keegan-i-could-have-come-back

I'm 25 so obviously I never had the opportunity to watch Keegan. Some of my relatives speak fondly of him, however Dalglish receives their most praise.

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #114 on: November 5, 2011, 08:26:07 am »
No, not yet.

In technical terms yes he's better but in terms of his contribution to the team and his impact on it , no not yet, not by a long way. But one day he might be even better.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2011, 08:28:52 am by Shanks1965 »
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 5, 2011, 08:30:22 am »
shanks? just dont think you can judge players from different eras like that,  totally different game, an the players are so much fitter now allegedly.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline GEMSTAR58

• Kopite
  • Liverpool was made for me and i for liverpool.
« Reply #116 on: November 5, 2011, 08:37:58 am »

Suarez hasn't been here long enough to be comparing him to old liverpool players.

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 5, 2011, 10:00:32 am »
Dont compare the replacement of Torres/Suarez with Keegan and Keeny ....as much as I love Luis and did love Torres, For LFC the Double K's are way way ahead in status as players and leaders....though happy for Luis to join them in 10 years time.

Keegan was the talisman in a 6 years period that not only brought us an FA cup ( massive then) 2 UEFA cups ( ditto!) , 3 leagues and a European cup....and propbably more important from being an upcoming big English team to take Liverpool to the pinnacle of club football in the world...so thats what your up against

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 5, 2011, 10:05:25 am »
I'm genuinely shocked by that. Why was he lucky?
if I'm not mistaken the conversation was something like help us win the European Cup then you can leave, So he did and he did.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #119 on: November 5, 2011, 10:13:41 am »

In terms of playing style Suarez is similar .....but Keegan's all-action, goal scoring heroics put him in a different class. Years ahead of his time in several ways - his tirelesss work ethic allied to his skill was the epitomy of what made LFC such a force in Europe.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.