Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3300370 times)

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #18200 on: May 10, 2018, 02:50:38 pm »
They had them in other places, too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_sports_paper
I used to deliver the Glasgow one when I were a lad, and it was also called the Pink even though it was on white paper and so far as my memory stretched back (not that far as I was about twelve) had never in any sense been pink.  In short I, too, miss TAW’s Pink brand.

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18201 on: May 10, 2018, 08:23:20 pm »
Great article by Paul Cope
https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/05/liverpool-the-enjoyment-of-a-european-run-v-the-unattainable-standards-of-pessimists/

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the current situation and those that either refuse to or are unable to put the last few weeks into context

The lad deserves the plaudits. I've been buzzing off his positivity. Totally get it mate and It's needed saying, too many waiting for the first stumble. Some great stuff from you the last few weeks.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #18202 on: May 10, 2018, 08:40:57 pm »
I like Cope on TAW. He's a funny little fella, all sharp angles and sharper wit.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #18203 on: May 10, 2018, 08:45:40 pm »
I like Cope on TAW. He's a funny little fella, all sharp angles and sharper wit.

He'll be enamored to know you describe him like a cross between Ronnie Corbett and an Isosceles Triangle
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #18204 on: May 10, 2018, 08:47:44 pm »
As the wrap is so adored on here, I think we should nominate someone from RAWK to represent the site and its fervent and passionate fan base to go on and do a sesh with the wrap lads?

I'll go first.

I vote Pansy.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18205 on: May 10, 2018, 08:49:57 pm »
Did I see that Neil is driving to Kiev for the final? I can only imagine the content that will be delivered both on the way there and back!

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18206 on: May 10, 2018, 10:20:56 pm »
As the wrap is so adored on here, I think we should nominate someone from RAWK to represent the site and its fervent and passionate fan base to go on and do a sesh with the wrap lads?

I'll go first.

Well volunteered Chopper
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18207 on: May 11, 2018, 01:38:19 am »
Well volunteered Chopper

I'm in.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18208 on: May 11, 2018, 03:02:07 pm »
the useless c*nt in the dugout.

Well done you, clearly have your priorities right compared to the spin doctor Cope. If only he could see Rodgers for what he truly was like you can.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18209 on: May 11, 2018, 03:16:42 pm »
Paul Cope spends his whole time whinging about other fans whinging about the team.

He made the review unlistenable when he was on it during the Rodgers era because he'd blame other fans for the shit performances rather than the useless c*nt in the dugout.
Quite like Cope personally, he's a funny fucker and pretty smart. Yeah, there may be an element of whinging about other fans whinging about the team, but I reckon we've got a lot of people in the fanbase who seem to get off on whinging unnecessarily, and it pisses me off too. I tend to be quite happy when someone calls people out on their whiny sense of overentitlement, so all power to him as far as I'm concerned.

I can understand people having a moan under Hodgson, for example, but right now there seems a lot more to be happy about than there is to be angry about, so why not focus on the positives? I'm not saying let's pretend everything is rosy, but it's pretty fucking good really. I mean, sure, if people are expecting us to win the league every season like we were 30 odd years ago then yeah, it's a bit shit. From a personal point of view though, I'm having about as much fun as I ever have in my 25 years of following the club and even if we win nothing I'll still have had a great nine months.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18210 on: May 12, 2018, 12:01:35 am »
Did I see that Neil is driving to Kiev for the final? I can only imagine the content that will be delivered both on the way there and back!
Unless I've missed something I don't think Neil has passed his test recently mate :)
I was going to say he could well be the back-seat driver for Paul Senior, but by all accounts there's a big fuck off charra taking them half way.

Safe journey to them all anyway.

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #18211 on: May 12, 2018, 12:27:30 am »
The lads are all great and do a brilliant job.The one thing I am no sure about is the bus journey to kiev holy f--k that will be something else.  :o I also voted aswell.
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18212 on: May 13, 2018, 07:48:26 pm »
Brilliant AFQ on Friday.  Best one in ages and one of my favourite line-ups.

Just listening to The Postmatch Pink™  ;)  and laughing my head off.

"This ref is the worst in the league".

"Yeah, but they can't all be the worst in the league!"

"Well this fella is two of the worst three!"
  ;D ;D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #18213 on: May 13, 2018, 07:52:51 pm »
Brilliant AFQ on Friday.  Best one in ages and one of my favourite line-ups.

Just listening to The Postmatch Pink™  ;)  and laughing my head off.

"This ref is the worst in the league".

"Yeah, but they can't all be the worst in the league!"

"Well this fella is two of the worst three!"
  ;D ;D

That was brilliant.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18214 on: May 14, 2018, 02:52:00 pm »
Very good AFQ - basically Atkinson and Gutmann in the same room is entertaining. Gutmann is naturally very amusing and Atkinson keeps it fluid all the time - he's become an exceptionally strong host.

Post-match Pink was great as well. A real feel good factor but also some genuinely decent analysis, which helps.

My one hobby horse about TAW was the absurdly critical Big Question episode back in January which focused on Klopp. Nevin and, to a lesser extent, Cope offered an unnecessary level of criticism of Klopp's tenure. It wasn't suggesting Klopp is bad for eth club, it was just a little too circumspect about the work Klopp was doing.

I did recently (politely) challenge Nevin on Twitter about how well Liverpool had done in recent months in the CL and he replied by saying 'it's the fans who are winning it'. Hmmm, that seems a dig at Klopp - but why? What's Klopp done so wrong? I don't get it.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #18215 on: May 14, 2018, 03:19:26 pm »
No Talking Reds today?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #18216 on: May 14, 2018, 03:39:22 pm »
What's Klopp done so wrong? I don't get it.
He's not Rafa. Nevin is a proper Rafa fanatic in case you didn't know which might explain the passive aggression.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18217 on: May 14, 2018, 03:54:18 pm »
He's not Rafa. Nevin is a proper Rafa fanatic in case you didn't know which might explain the passive aggression.
Yeah, I sort of get that. But I love(d) Rafa as well. Can I not dedicate my life to both men?!? Neither need to know about the other.

It may be due to his new role at RedsBet (which I think is a great initiative / endeavour), but Nevin's not been on TAW for a while.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:55:53 pm by Fitzy. »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18218 on: May 14, 2018, 03:59:41 pm »
Same lad who would get rid of Kloppo to bring in Gerrard and Alonso. Ain't no one taking him seriously.   ;D

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18219 on: May 14, 2018, 04:09:29 pm »
Same lad who would get rid of Kloppo to bring in Gerrard and Alonso. Ain't no one taking him seriously.   ;D
To be fair, I don't think he wanted to replace Klopp with those two, he was just suggesting that they're waiting in the wings should Klopp leave. It was a strange point to make but I don't think Nevin wants Klopp gone.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18220 on: May 14, 2018, 05:06:41 pm »
Talking Reds is up.  :)
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18221 on: May 14, 2018, 05:12:15 pm »

He didn't say that.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18222 on: May 14, 2018, 06:01:26 pm »
Anybody else enjoying the Blood Red podcast from the Echo? I am.

Offline biscuitme

• cakeyou
  • Main Stander
« Reply #18223 on: May 14, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »
Done.

Best £5 I spend a month.

I'll second that.

Vote cast.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18224 on: May 14, 2018, 08:11:59 pm »
He didn't say that.

Not in so many words. He said they would Klopp was under pressure and hadn't won anything and that Guardiola, Zidane, and Dalglish were enough proof for him to believe that Gerrard and Alonso could do a job for us. Basically... he's no faith in the team or the process whatsoever.

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #18225 on: May 15, 2018, 09:17:06 am »
I did recently (politely) challenge Nevin on Twitter about how well Liverpool had done in recent months in the CL and he replied by saying 'it's the fans who are winning it'. Hmmm, that seems a dig at Klopp - but why? What's Klopp done so wrong? I don't get it.

Really? That seems suspiciously terse and incredibly disingenuous. The fans haven’t changed since Rodgers was here and I don’t recall us making any waves in the 2014/15 Champions League. I really like Mike so will happily give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that I may be misunderstanding, but it does feel a little like he’s on the other side of the Rafa debacle and he’s letting the nonsense spouted about Rafa years ago by fans and media affect his attitude towards the almost universal praise and respect shown to Klopp by the same media and fans.

I still cringe at thinking about the shit Rafa had to deal with, but if our fans weren’t woken up by his successors reign, they’ll never change their minds. Meanwhile I want what’s best for Liverpool - and not having the distractions Rafa had surely has to be a positive - without media and fan sniping, the team can pull together as they have, and with a large proportion of other fans backing us for the way we play football, we don’t have the snide pressure that can be applied to an unlikable team or manager (look at united).

'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #18226 on: May 15, 2018, 09:22:23 am »

Weird that, I'm sure Nevin must have hated the muppets who proclaimed Gerrard/Torres was saving Rafa.
:D

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #18227 on: May 15, 2018, 09:24:20 am »
How did this thread get back to talking about Nevin/Klopp again?

Vicious circle this ;D

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18228 on: May 15, 2018, 10:01:44 am »
How did this thread get back to talking about Nevin/Klopp again?

Vicious circle this ;D
I guess I brought it up because Nevin was predicting doom in January and that hasn't come to fruition. Whatever happens in Kiev I think Klopp is pretty much vindicated. If you're going to hold Klopp to account for his decisions on a popular and widely listened to podcast then I guess it is fair to hold these voices to account when necessary.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #18229 on: May 15, 2018, 10:20:36 am »
I guess I brought it up because Nevin was predicting doom in January and that hasn't come to fruition. Whatever happens in Kiev I think Klopp is pretty much vindicated. If you're going to hold Klopp to account for his decisions on a popular and widely listened to podcast then I guess it is fair to hold these voices to account when necessary.

I find Mike's comments about Klopp on TAW and on Twitter a bit over the top. However, it's within his rights to voice concerns if he thinks there are any. On the flip side, he shouldn't moan about how Rafa was treated. He's in essence in the other side of the fence with Klopp c.f. Rafa. Where it looks like he's taking the extreme view to find major criticisms when only minor one could exist (in my opinion of course).

The other part of this is that I'd like to hear TAW do a review at the end of the season and see how the wide range of contributors view the season and get some refection on how the season has changed their thinking into certain players and staff. I don't think it's about pulling people up for their views at certain points ( I actually think the most extreme views will have been around not buying a CB in the summer, the Spurs defeat and not getting a Coutinho replacement) but about tapping into how people's views changed as the season progressed. If, and it's a big IF, we win the CL and you get certain contributors still skeptical of Klopp then you know he can never convince them around.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #18230 on: May 15, 2018, 12:53:14 pm »
Would be good if Talking Reds could be uploaded at the same time every day (preferably in time for peoples lunch breaks). It used to be on there by around 11 but it seems to be getting later as I'm sure you're all very busy. Either way, a set time would be nice so that people know. Understand it might not be possible due to changing schedules.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #18231 on: May 15, 2018, 01:42:07 pm »
My one hobby horse about TAW was the absurdly critical Big Question episode back in January which focused on Klopp. Nevin and, to a lesser extent, Cope offered an unnecessary level of criticism of Klopp's tenure. It wasn't suggesting Klopp is bad for eth club, it was just a little too circumspect about the work Klopp was doing.

I remember a while ago that a couple of contributors seemed annoyed when Klopp was trying to stir-up the fans during quiet periods at Anfield, like they were insulted that he would tell fans how to behave. It might be a hangover from that? "It's the fans who are winning it" might be a way of saying "we don't need you to tell us how to make noise".

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18232 on: May 15, 2018, 02:16:26 pm »
I remember a while ago that a couple of contributors seemed annoyed when Klopp was trying to stir-up the fans during quiet periods at Anfield, like they were insulted that he would tell fans how to behave. It might be a hangover from that? "It's the fans who are winning it" might be a way of saying "we don't need you to tell us how to make noise".
You may have a point. I certainly understand the idea that some fans don't want a cheerleader to stir them up and that may make a few of them bristle with irritation. But in truth, that's their hang up that they should get over, Klopp's approach with the club transformed the atmosphere around match days, especially this season. Yes the fans are a huge player in this but we would hardly be bouncing if we were bumbling along in 7th without the prospect if CL football.

Offline robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #18233 on: May 15, 2018, 08:17:35 pm »
Thanks to everyone who voted for us in this. The voting closes on Thursday so just a little bump for anyone who might have missed it. Nice one, Robbo.

Alright the Reds, we’ve got a shiny new studio at TAW and we’d like a shiny new award to stick in it.

1,300 podcasts have received votes in The Listeners’ Choice category of The British Podcast Awards and TAW is in the top 20.

So if you could vote for us - and encourage other people to do the same by any means possible - that would be fantastic. We don’t want some blert from The S*n winning, do we?

Up the Reds,
Robbo

https://www.britishpodcastawards.com/vote/

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #18234 on: May 15, 2018, 08:50:38 pm »
Would be good if Talking Reds could be uploaded at the same time every day (preferably in time for peoples lunch breaks). It used to be on there by around 11 but it seems to be getting later as I'm sure you're all very busy. Either way, a set time would be nice so that people know. Understand it might not be possible due to changing schedules.

This too. Try and watch every day but end up watching the 1 from the day before.

Might be too hard mind.

In terms of people not liking JK having a go at the crowd. I've met quite a few "older fans" who hate this about him. Could be a generation thing maybe?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #18235 on: May 15, 2018, 09:29:45 pm »
Voted, good luck- would be well deserved! I listen to a lot of podcasts on a lot of subjects, and can’t think of a show that has so much varied content. Since it came out its been a huge part of my week! Commuting, dog walking and working. Christ, if you ever decide to stop, I’ll have to hire you all on retainer to follow me around chatting nonsense to keep me entertained 😀
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18236 on: May 17, 2018, 09:56:26 am »
Sheamus  ;D

Should be popular given RAWK's love of WWE
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #18237 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:00 am »
Sheamus  ;D

Should be popular given RAWK's love of WWE
Haha, I couldn’t believe what we were getting when I saw that downloading.  And then it turned out to be a great listen as well, well done everyone.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #18238 on: May 17, 2018, 10:37:25 am »
Think I stopped watching WWE around the time Sheamus came into it but seems a top man.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #18239 on: May 17, 2018, 11:41:17 am »
The Sheamus interview is an absolutely top listen, as a wrestling fan as well it's always nice to get a peek behind the curtain but combining it with some solid LFC chat is the icing on the cake.

Have to say I think the content lately has been absolutely top notch, everyone seems to be absolutely flying in the roles they're in now, keep up the good work guys!