Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3305377 times)

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #16920 on: October 27, 2017, 11:11:49 pm »
It's hilarious to hear people talk about conspiracy theories and editorial lines etc. I'm fairly new in subscribing but it's really clear (even if you didn't happen to have met a couple of contributors) that these are just people who want Liverpool to win things.

If that's an agenda then it's one we all share. Don't agree with everything everyone says but sometimes the stuff I disagree with most is also the stuff that gets me thinking the most.

Keep it up lads - you can't please everyone.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #16921 on: October 27, 2017, 11:54:50 pm »
Well, I do because I spoke to a few of them. There were a couple on various forums who couldn't wait to jump on his back as soon as things went wrong as well. Like I said, it was a small undercurrent, but they were there pretty much from the beginning.

I don't think Jurgens support is fragmenting either. Yes, there has been some criticism of certain issues regarding playing staff(some of it justified), but I think this fanbase is a long way from turning on him just yet.
The  biggest gripe is that  we didn't have an option 2, for VVD which was Rodgers undoing in agreeing on Ballotelli.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #16922 on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:49 am »
That Leicester guy on the weekend show, talking about their future: ‘we don’t want to turn into Spurs, never winning anything’.  Talk about delusional - I mean the sentiment’s fine, but if you’re Leicester that comparison needs to be to Norwich or Derby.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16923 on: October 29, 2017, 10:33:15 am »
That Leicester guy on the weekend show, talking about their future: ‘we don’t want to turn into Spurs, never winning anything’.  Talk about delusional - I mean the sentiment’s fine, but if you’re Leicester that comparison needs to be to Norwich or Derby.
I guess Leicester fans have a very unique perspective. They’ve achieved the incredible which gives them a certain status and self-regard that no other side of their stature will have. In one sense it is fair enough, but it will also create a certain arrogance that appears odd.

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16924 on: October 30, 2017, 05:00:07 pm »
Tried to listen to the latest pod. Had to switch off after 9 minutes. No offence but I don't listen to the pod to hear someone bitching and moaning for no reason about the fans and social media and blah blah blah. Talk of the game etc is why I listen, not to hear Phillippa Smallwood go on a rant for no reason when she was literally just asked what she thought of the game. I know most of the time she just bangs the super fan rhetoric but this one was just utterly bizarre.

I expect I'll get shit for having a critique but so be it. Just my opinion as a paying subscriber.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16925 on: October 30, 2017, 05:02:45 pm »
I’ve just been through the whole thing and barely even noticed.  I’d be surprised if there was more than a couple of minutes of that.  Might be worth having another go?

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #16926 on: October 30, 2017, 08:19:10 pm »
I’ve just been through the whole thing and barely even noticed.  I’d be surprised if there was more than a couple of minutes of that.  Might be worth having another go?

He's too busy doing the reverse superfan thing to bother with that.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #16927 on: October 30, 2017, 08:29:30 pm »
Tried to listen to the latest pod. Had to switch off after 9 minutes. No offence but I don't listen to the pod to hear someone bitching and moaning for no reason about the fans and social media and blah blah blah. Talk of the game etc is why I listen, not to hear Phillippa Smallwood go on a rant for no reason when she was literally just asked what she thought of the game. I know most of the time she just bangs the super fan rhetoric but this one was just utterly bizarre.

I expect I'll get shit for having a critique but so be it. Just my opinion as a paying subscriber.

Love that she had a fucking dig personally, not entirely sure how it's for no reason either. Shes at the game and talking about her experience at the game, including the support.

You're almost proving her point :lmao

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:32:49 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #16928 on: October 31, 2017, 12:32:27 am »

The other week you slated Melissa and I am being watched for my response to it which was subsequently removed. This week it's Phillippa, no other names mentioned in either of your 'critiques' of the shows involved. By my reckoning, I'm due a few days remission, mods, cos I was spot on, in all aspects! When is Ban This Filth coming back, btw?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:48:42 am by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #16929 on: October 31, 2017, 11:14:55 am »
Suggesting for an episode, might be to big for Wildcards but... Social Media?

It's been touched on here and there, it's a bit ridiculous at the moment. Lovren shared some of the DMs he was receiving the other day:

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16930 on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:53 am »
That's disgusting.
Until we get to the point when people are made accountable for what they publish - because that's what it is - on social media then things will get worse.

So in the context of this thread then I think it's entirely reasonable for contributors to be calling out people that overreact on social media.

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #16931 on: October 31, 2017, 12:00:03 pm »
That's disgusting.
Until we get to the point when people are made accountable for what they publish - because that's what it is - on social media then things will get worse.

So in the context of this thread then I think it's entirely reasonable for contributors to be calling out people that overreact on social media.

Totally agree.

The only thing that absent minded fool is "Murdering" is the English language.

What a complete an utter tool! Never understand why this behaviour is tolerated or allowed?
That kind of talk should end up with a jail sentence!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #16932 on: October 31, 2017, 12:23:55 pm »
What kind of sad life you lead, how small and inadequate you must feel in order to go online and spout such vile things to a footballer (of your own team)?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #16933 on: October 31, 2017, 01:30:25 pm »
Suggesting for an episode, might be to big for Wildcards but... Social Media?

It's been touched on here and there, it's a bit ridiculous at the moment. Lovren shared some of the DMs he was receiving the other day:

Such a "brave" thing to say hiding behind a computer screen.  ::)  Some people are just utter scum.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16934 on: October 31, 2017, 06:50:38 pm »
Joey Barton doesn't half talk some shite.

Offline Kop307

• Bets against Liverpool. "I could be talking utter fucking shit".
  • Kopite
« Reply #16935 on: October 31, 2017, 07:06:01 pm »
Joey Barton doesn't half talk some shite.

Haha I thought this a bit. I enjoyed the show though nevertheless, it's always interesting to hear ex players talking freely about thier experiences. I got the feeling Neil didn't exactly agree with Joey on a lot of things but resisted jumping in. I think he had a lot of good thoughts, he's certainly not shy of confidence. He does come out with some outrageous lines but he's an opinionated guy, he'll always split opinion.
There are 2 types of posters on RAWK - Those who have an opinion and post - and those who just comment on those who post. Have an opinion - grow up.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16936 on: October 31, 2017, 07:30:11 pm »
It's like listening to his twitter feed in real time. Fuck me, it's exhausting. He just rambles all over the shop.
I bet Neil had to go for a lie down afterwards.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16937 on: October 31, 2017, 07:33:36 pm »
I enjoyed the Barton interview to be fair :)

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16938 on: October 31, 2017, 07:37:49 pm »
good interview with Barton, he got given enough rope and just about got away with not hanging himself with it
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #16939 on: October 31, 2017, 09:57:22 pm »
didn't expect to enjoy listening to Joey Barton so much
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16940 on: November 1, 2017, 09:46:46 am »
The Joey Barton interview is, in many ways, a compelling listen. Here is a footballer speaking in pretty articulate terms about a range of football-related issues. He’s forceful with his opinion, has some insight and has a real grasp of footballers’ instincts and motivations. I am glad he got the chance to be on.

However, the issue with Joey Barton is that he’s almost interesting. But he isn’t quite interesting enough. The reason for this is that he is too incoherent to be really worth listening to. What I mean is that he is scattergun with his views and assertions. His opinions don’t always flow in a single stream of consciousness as he’s so keen to demonstrate his understanding of a wide range of issues. The outcome is that this totally undermines the potentially interesting ideas and views he holds. Far too often he punctuates a solidly held opinion with a tangential gripe that can take him off piste and sees him forging a different point altogether.

Early in the interview he rightly states that an expert is knowing an awful lot about not very much – essentially, he’s suggesting that one must really narrow ones focus on a single thing to then become an expert in that specific field. The irony is that Barton doesn’t live by that principle. Instead, he holds strong opinions on such a wide range of inter-related topics that it becomes too unmanageable to follow exactly what he’s trying to say. Indeed, the outcome of his approach is that he comes across as just shooting from the hip on a number of rich and complex issues that require a more thorough analysis than Barton is prepared or able to give. Added to this are the random digs he gives in various directions (as if it serves as some kind of therapy).

In the interview, he makes huge leaps from talking about Shankly being ignored when he left Liverpool to immediately linking this point to the modern-day disconnect with fans. The conflation of these two issues is intellectually redundant and speaks more about some broader discontent Barton has with football than anything to do with Liverpool or their relationship with fans.

An example of his fluffy, shallow analysis is his discussion about coaches needing to have top-level experience to be any good. This is, in itself, a really interesting point. But Barton deals with it in such crude terms (Wenger has lost it, Mourinho only does it with money) that he renders his point glib at best and just wrong at worst.

The point about all this is that Barton has some interesting views of the world, but that doesn’t mean he has licence to give off on the next thought and grievance to enter his head. Yes he knows the football world, but he should know that a lot of the issues he’s willing to pontificate on are a lot more interesting that he allows them to be. So rather than feeling he has to sum up an issue and have an answer about it, he needs to understand that it’s sometimes more interesting to actually decide that the answers are really difficult to come by so deeper discussion is worthwhile.

Neil was very restrained during the interview, and rightly so. There’s no value in turning it into Talksport and having a go at each other. However, when Neil did try to turn some of the discussion points into more in-depth points of interest (eg football and its cultural role), Barton was more interested in being ‘right’ than potentially exploring a matter in greater depth.

In short, Barton needs to realise that there’s virtue in discussing rather than asserting and that complex issues require respect and answers aren’t always warranted.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2017, 09:49:14 am by Fitzy. »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #16941 on: November 1, 2017, 11:32:18 am »
The Joey Barton interview is, in many ways, a compelling listen. Here is a footballer speaking in pretty articulate terms about a range of football-related issues. He’s forceful with his opinion, has some insight and has a real grasp of footballers’ instincts and motivations. I am glad he got the chance to be on.

However, the issue with Joey Barton is that he’s almost interesting. But he isn’t quite interesting enough. The reason for this is that he is too incoherent to be really worth listening to. What I mean is that he is scattergun with his views and assertions. His opinions don’t always flow in a single stream of consciousness as he’s so keen to demonstrate his understanding of a wide range of issues. The outcome is that this totally undermines the potentially interesting ideas and views he holds. Far too often he punctuates a solidly held opinion with a tangential gripe that can take him off piste and sees him forging a different point altogether.

Early in the interview he rightly states that an expert is knowing an awful lot about not very much – essentially, he’s suggesting that one must really narrow ones focus on a single thing to then become an expert in that specific field. The irony is that Barton doesn’t live by that principle. Instead, he holds strong opinions on such a wide range of inter-related topics that it becomes too unmanageable to follow exactly what he’s trying to say. Indeed, the outcome of his approach is that he comes across as just shooting from the hip on a number of rich and complex issues that require a more thorough analysis than Barton is prepared or able to give. Added to this are the random digs he gives in various directions (as if it serves as some kind of therapy).

In the interview, he makes huge leaps from talking about Shankly being ignored when he left Liverpool to immediately linking this point to the modern-day disconnect with fans. The conflation of these two issues is intellectually redundant and speaks more about some broader discontent Barton has with football than anything to do with Liverpool or their relationship with fans.

An example of his fluffy, shallow analysis is his discussion about coaches needing to have top-level experience to be any good. This is, in itself, a really interesting point. But Barton deals with it in such crude terms (Wenger has lost it, Mourinho only does it with money) that he renders his point glib at best and just wrong at worst.

The point about all this is that Barton has some interesting views of the world, but that doesn’t mean he has licence to give off on the next thought and grievance to enter his head. Yes he knows the football world, but he should know that a lot of the issues he’s willing to pontificate on are a lot more interesting that he allows them to be. So rather than feeling he has to sum up an issue and have an answer about it, he needs to understand that it’s sometimes more interesting to actually decide that the answers are really difficult to come by so deeper discussion is worthwhile.

Neil was very restrained during the interview, and rightly so. There’s no value in turning it into Talksport and having a go at each other. However, when Neil did try to turn some of the discussion points into more in-depth points of interest (eg football and its cultural role), Barton was more interested in being ‘right’ than potentially exploring a matter in greater depth.

In short, Barton needs to realise that there’s virtue in discussing rather than asserting and that complex issues require respect and answers aren’t always warranted.

That's a really interesting take Fitzy. I'll be listening to the podcast later.

I've often wondered why he's now playing the role of an intellectual. Does he aspire to be something more than he is, or perhaps distancing himself his past?

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16942 on: November 1, 2017, 12:20:42 pm »
That's a really interesting take Fitzy. I'll be listening to the podcast later.

I've often wondered why he's now playing the role of an intellectual. Does he aspire to be something more than he is, or perhaps distancing himself his past?

To be fair to Barton, he's wilfully seeking to better himself both intellectually and spiritually. He's possibly had a tough background and he is carving out at good life for himself. The issue comes with the fact he's not as educated as he is clever. He needs massive refinement if he's going to try and be a sage.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #16943 on: November 1, 2017, 12:35:59 pm »
To be fair to Barton, he's wilfully seeking to better himself both intellectually and spiritually. He's possibly had a tough background and he is carving out at good life for himself. The issue comes with the fact he's not as educated as he is clever. He needs massive refinement if he's going to try and be a sage.
I'm all for the new and improve Joey. I admire the fact that he is (or atleast appears to be) trying to better himself.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16944 on: November 1, 2017, 12:36:31 pm »
I'm glad he was taken to task on the "local fan" thing.

Speaking as someone who was born possibly as close to a football ground as anyone it baffles me why some people feel the need to get involved.

Oldham Athletic mean nothing to me. The reds are all that matter as they are all that mattered to my old man.

Do we get to to the point where you can't support a club because you're 0.5 miles closer to another club?

Plenty of overseas reds are "better" fans than some clowns living in L4. I love the city and love living here, but at times people are idiots. Even lads and lasses with an L postcode.

To have Barton, who's made money off showing little or no respect to anyone he meets, spout more rubbish is funny.  The man has his demons for sure. But maybe he should shut the fudge up before preaching to others.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #16945 on: November 1, 2017, 01:16:13 pm »
Oh is this your attempt at calling me a sexist :lmao

Fucking hell. It's actually quite funny, because it's people like you who are the reason why the political left is such an embarrassment. And I say that as a leftist/liberal. Constantly looking to be offended at everything and find 'discrimination' in everything.

FYI, I also think Adam Smith talks a lot of super fan shite too. Oh no, but he's a male... how can you spin that?

Isn't berating how other people show their support in itself a bit superfan though? Like the reverse superfan?

Personally I think unless you can find some rationale that shows how the dogs abuse Lovren, Mignolet, Henderson etc actually helps them improve or play better then it is pretty hard to argue with what Phillipa was actually saying.

I think people like you think just as much as any so called "superfan" that your way is the "right way" to support - and don't like it when people point out that it can be counter-productive (which by the way it can).

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #16946 on: November 1, 2017, 01:21:33 pm »
Oh is this your attempt at calling me a sexist :lmao

Fucking hell. It's actually quite funny, because it's people like you who are the reason why the political left is such an embarrassment. And I say that as a leftist/liberal. Constantly looking to be offended at everything and find 'discrimination' in everything.

FYI, I also think Adam Smith talks a lot of super fan shite too. Oh no, but he's a male... how can you spin that?

Was he not on the same show as Phillippa? Yet no mention of him in your 'critique'. The fact you've had to bring him into the conversation  as some sort of justification speaks volumes. Well done
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16947 on: November 1, 2017, 05:31:11 pm »
People talking about cancelling their subscriptions in the comments under the Barton podcast. Beyond precious. Don't fucking listen to it if he bothers you that much. :lmao

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #16948 on: November 1, 2017, 05:35:31 pm »
People talking about cancelling their subscriptions in the comments under the Barton podcast. Beyond precious. Don't fucking listen to it if he bothers you that much. :lmao
100% I bet people don’t cancel

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16949 on: November 1, 2017, 06:03:08 pm »

I recently realised that I didn't actually need to follow Joey Barton on Twitter, and it came as a great relief to just shut him off. On Second Captains the other day they discussed his comments about David Unsworth not looking "managerial" because he's overweight or whatever. I thought Joey's comments at the start of this interview kind of gave the game away. Disgusted with himself for being a couple of pounds over his playing weight (because he's football obsessed), he then lashes out at Unsworth with the closest tool to hand, Twitter. At least he's not beating the heads off people any more.

I think this analysis above is spot on. He speaks in great swathes of narrative, the kind of things you hear parroted in pub-talk that don't really stand up to the merest scrutiny. He started talking about the Academy system producing no footballers, an opinion which is often used by people who hate young people and blame them for all of societies ills. It's a society-wide, "it were better/harder in my day" kind of sentiment that finds its expression in the current football environment through opinions like Joey's and Danny Murphy's nonsensical comments about the U17 team wearing their jerseys backwards to show their names after winning the World Cup.

I think the pertinent thing about Joey Barton is that if he's an expert in anything at all, it's in playing football, because he's a Premier League standard footballer and an England international. He's an absolute bog standard thinker about the game though.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #16950 on: November 1, 2017, 06:23:50 pm »
I recently realised that I didn't actually need to follow Joey Barton on Twitter, and it came as a great relief to just shut him off. On Second Captains the other day they discussed his comments about David Unsworth not looking "managerial" because he's overweight or whatever. I thought Joey's comments at the start of this interview kind of gave the game away. Disgusted with himself for being a couple of pounds over his playing weight (because he's football obsessed), he then lashes out at Unsworth with the closest tool to hand, Twitter. At least he's not beating the heads off people any more.

I think this analysis above is spot on. He speaks in great swathes of narrative, the kind of things you hear parroted in pub-talk that don't really stand up to the merest scrutiny. He started talking about the Academy system producing no footballers, an opinion which is often used by people who hate young people and blame them for all of societies ills. It's a society-wide, "it were better/harder in my day" kind of sentiment that finds its expression in the current football environment through opinions like Joey's and Danny Murphy's nonsensical comments about the U17 team wearing their jerseys backwards to show their names after winning the World Cup.

I think the pertinent thing about Joey Barton is that if he's an expert in anything at all, it's in playing football, because he's a Premier League standard footballer and an England international. He's an absolute bog standard thinker about the game though.
That's sure not what he thinks ;D

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16951 on: November 1, 2017, 10:32:12 pm »
Could the good people of TAW put up the Klavan gif thingy you put up on twitter this morning or yesterday. Must have watched it 80 times and I fancy watching it again. Showed a glimpse of his magic tonight too...

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #16952 on: November 2, 2017, 07:38:19 am »

I'd agree with that.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #16953 on: November 2, 2017, 12:21:06 pm »
Listened to the Barton pod on my way home last night. He, erm, thinks quite highly of himself doesn't he?! :P
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16954 on: November 2, 2017, 01:36:21 pm »
I think the pertinent thing about Joey Barton is that if he's an expert in anything at all, it's in playing football, because he's a Premier League standard footballer and an England international.
That was about two-thirds of the podcast and I found it absolutely compelling, him talking about what it’s like to Be A Footballer.  Tend to agree that he’s unfocused and can tend towards the pub bore on the other bits, but he talks pretty well and in fairness much of ordinary people’s discourse (including sometimes bits of taw itself) is of that type, so it wouldn’t have been hugely out of place except that the ‘expert’ bit was so compelling.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #16955 on: November 2, 2017, 01:47:33 pm »
I'm glad he was taken to task on the "local fan" thing.

Speaking as someone who was born possibly as close to a football ground as anyone it baffles me why some people feel the need to get involved.

Oldham Athletic mean nothing to me. The reds are all that matter as they are all that mattered to my old man.

Do we get to to the point where you can't support a club because you're 0.5 miles closer to another club?

Plenty of overseas reds are "better" fans than some clowns living in L4. I love the city and love living here, but at times people are idiots. Even lads and lasses with an L postcode.

To have Barton, who's made money off showing little or no respect to anyone he meets, spout more rubbish is funny.  The man has his demons for sure. But maybe he should shut the fudge up before preaching to others.

I can accept that many locals may not understand how people from outside Liverpool support the club.

The problem with Barton not that is has issue with it, he simply doesn't accept it and that's that.

I was born in the South East, I'm surrounded by Tories and Brexiters. My local team is Southend fucking United, it isn't a case of not supporting them because they're shit - I just don't identify with any aspect of the club or town.

Though to be fair I was brought up to support the club from a young age and wasn't to know that then :P

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #16956 on: November 2, 2017, 02:04:42 pm »
I feel sorry for the TAW lads. When I listen I'm much more interested when someone says something that I disagree with than that I agree with. And I mean that because I know these are genuine thoughts and feelings rather than pundits trying to court controversy.

Seems like some people only like TAW player when people agree with them and get very frustrated with anyone who puts a different point of view. But a good podcast shouldn't be an echo chamber for your views, it should make you look at things from a different angle.

That being said, I would probably hate it if I disagreed with everything because it would just wind me up.

I think the Barton interview was interesting. I took from it some things and disagreed with plenty but anything that is him saying what it feels like to be a professional footballer should be interesting to us all because I don't think there's many on here who have been.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16957 on: November 2, 2017, 02:15:01 pm »
Honestly amazed Barton is getting much love.

In my ears he did himself no favours. I felt for Atko as Barton was all over the place, having Evertonian digs left right and centre.

To people saying they'll cancel because of it. Good God...

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #16958 on: November 2, 2017, 04:40:55 pm »
Honestly amazed Barton is getting much love.

In my ears he did himself no favours. I felt for Atko as Barton was all over the place, having Evertonian digs left right and centre.

To people saying they'll cancel because of it. Good God...

Is he getting lots of love?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16959 on: November 2, 2017, 05:23:00 pm »
Is he getting lots of love?

Maybe love is strong. I managed to get through it without punching the wall.

Id describe it as anything other than "interesting" listening to him