Author Topic: Pro Cycling 2023  (Read 1463664 times)

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Pro Cycling 2018
« Reply #28920 on: July 3, 2018, 05:21:47 pm »
Finding it rather interesting if it was on recommendation from WADA, as it was they who appealed the case to CAS when FIS aquitted Norwegian skier Martin Johnsrud Sundby for extensive use of salbutamol.

They have said there have been cases of athletes with too high a sabutamol concentration in their samples when they stayed under the dosage limit of taking it, it depends on physiology and circumstances (race, environment etc), they can't recreate those circumstances under controlled conditions, so they are just dropping the whole thing.

Which is convenient.

What that means for future cases and whether they just made it more difficult for themselves who knows....
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28921 on: July 4, 2018, 03:47:36 am »
Weather conditions could be fun if it stays the same for TDF, apparently some areas of France the temperatures are 40C. :o
#Sausages

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28922 on: July 4, 2018, 04:51:15 pm »
Mad article on Froome’s food intake on the BBC now, they’ve released a load of data.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122
« Last Edit: July 4, 2018, 06:07:58 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28923 on: July 6, 2018, 01:58:07 pm »
Mad article on Froome’s food intake on the BBC now, they’ve released a load of data.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122

Read that now. My first thought was, fucking hell, it must be so boring racing for sky. Power numbers for everything, do this climb at that power, do that part at that power etc. What to eat, when, to the minute, calculates by the expected power output during each part of the race. Fucking hell, I'd rather be shite.

But anyway. The problem here is, this isn't evidence of him being clean. It shows he isn't superhuman, they are all reasonable figures for someone at his level. But it doesn't tell you how he got there. Can he do 400W at sub-threshold for an hour, because he's full of something? Or is that just how he is? Can he do these figures everyday, because he recovers quickly, or does he take anything to recover better? Also the food part - well that's the plan, but how do we know he doesn't hide boxes full of bisquits in his room? (He won't, he's a boring twat)

Also the power numbers. I could watch the stages back and work that out, but a lot obviously depends on the other riders around him - if he's drafting, he'll use less power, or if there's a tailwind. Or maybe he didn't need to go that hard because nobidy else did. What is in the data is that he never went as hard as they planned/fueled for, and I don't think he's hit his HR threshold much (I don't know what it is, his HR is pretty low anyway, but I'm older and a girl, and mine goes higher than that).

Anyway, its interesting, but its a smokescreen, it doesn't help the 'is he clean' debate.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28924 on: July 6, 2018, 02:06:34 pm »
Read that now. My first thought was, fucking hell, it must be so boring racing for sky. Power numbers for everything, do this climb at that power, do that part at that power etc. What to eat, when, to the minute, calculates by the expected power output during each part of the race. Fucking hell, I'd rather be shite.

Really takes all the fun out of it. I bet they have an appointed shite time, Brailsford stood outside the bog with a stopwatch.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28925 on: July 7, 2018, 11:37:16 am »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28926 on: July 7, 2018, 11:39:57 am »
Least interested I've been for years. Will watch some of course, but we know who will win so what's the point really?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28927 on: July 7, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »
Least interested I've been for years. Will watch some of course, but we know who will win so what's the point really?

Can always hope he just falls off his bike I suppose. Wouldn’t be the first time. For a professional cyclist his handling is pretty awful ;D

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28928 on: July 7, 2018, 11:12:17 pm »
Not a bad first days racing to be fair
What’s the rules this year..no talking about until after the ITV highlights show?
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28929 on: July 8, 2018, 11:42:50 am »
Not a bad first days racing to be fair
What’s the rules this year..no talking about until after the ITV highlights show?

Think it's ok to talk about the stages & conditions, but no spoilers like Froome's crash yesterday, until after ITV highlights show.

Shame Dave isn't around for the stage previews.
#Sausages

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28930 on: July 8, 2018, 06:17:03 pm »
Can always hope he just falls off his bike I suppose. Wouldn’t be the first time. For a professional cyclist his handling is pretty awful ;D

Think it's ok to talk about the stages & conditions, but no spoilers like Froome's crash yesterday, until after ITV highlights show.

It wasn't a spoiler, just an excellent prediction ;D

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28931 on: July 8, 2018, 10:01:46 pm »
It wasn't a spoiler, just an excellent prediction ;D
😁
Sagan is amazing isn't he
Mad how we always see the same amount of last few k crashes in the first few stages each year
TTT tomorrow.. Likley to see Thomas in yellow come end of day as they'll no doubt dominate.. But BMC and Quick Step could push them.. Interesting to see how teams of 8 as opposed to 9 will make
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28932 on: July 9, 2018, 10:22:34 am »
😁
Sagan is amazing isn't he
Mad how we always see the same amount of last few k crashes in the first few stages each year
TTT tomorrow.. Likley to see Thomas in yellow come end of day as they'll no doubt dominate.. But BMC and Quick Step could push them.. Interesting to see how teams of 8 as opposed to 9 will make

How does the the time work for each individual competitor on the TTT mate?

Is the time given to each of the 8 team members when the last rider crosses the line?

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28933 on: July 9, 2018, 12:38:33 pm »
How does the the time work for each individual competitor on the TTT mate?

Is the time given to each of the 8 team members when the last rider crosses the line?

Afaik, for the stage the team gets the time of the 5th rider that crosses the line. For the GC, each rider gets their own time.

I think its the 5th rider, but maybe its the 4th now that they have reduced the team size. You'll work it out easy enough when you watch it, because the not-needed riders will peel off early.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #28934 on: July 9, 2018, 02:49:25 pm »
Clock stops on the 4th rider.

Offline kaz1983

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28935 on: July 9, 2018, 02:51:54 pm »
Spoiler
Movistar losing time here.
[close]

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28936 on: July 9, 2018, 09:35:19 pm »
Nice to see other teams dominate and a likeable yellow wearer in GVA
I’m thinking..we’ll maybe hoping more like..that these early gaps will cause some attacking when we hit the hills from all sides
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #28937 on: July 10, 2018, 06:18:54 am »
Sorry...... may I ask where is Dave?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:29:05 am by Chig »
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28938 on: July 10, 2018, 08:14:42 am »
Sorry...... may I ask where is Dave?

Away.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #28939 on: July 10, 2018, 11:08:54 am »
Away.

O ok. Surely do miss having him around during the grand tour season.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28940 on: July 10, 2018, 12:05:51 pm »
I do miss the 2 Phils commentating on the tour, feels weird watching the Tour De France with them not commentating on it. 
#Sausages

Offline kaz1983

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28941 on: July 10, 2018, 01:51:49 pm »
I do miss the 2 Phils commentating on the tour, feels weird watching the Tour De France with them not commentating on it. 
Are you watching in Australia on SBS?

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28942 on: July 10, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »
Are you watching in Australia on SBS?

No in the UK on ITV4, i don't have Eurosport, only thing annoying about ITV4 is the amount of ad breaks they have. :no
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:39:15 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28943 on: July 10, 2018, 04:57:39 pm »
No in the UK on ITV4, i don't have Eurosport, only thing annoying about ITV4 is the amount of ad breaks they have. :no

I do recommend getting Eurosport player - about 6 quid a month, and its a rolling contract so you can have it for 1 month and that's it - much better coverage than ITV4, can access it easily on phone or PC/laptop - and some decent other sports on occasion (tennis/athletics/skiing) too

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28944 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02:15 pm »
Will Sunday's stage 9, Arras to Roubaix be brought forward, as if it's a normal start time the end of the stage will compete with the World Cup Final?
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28945 on: July 11, 2018, 11:57:42 am »
Disappointing there's only 1 individual time trial stage, which is stage 20, normally have one in around stage 12 as well as stage 20.
#Sausages

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28946 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:21 pm »
Disappointing there's only 1 individual time trial stage, which is stage 20, normally have one in around stage 12 as well as stage 20.

Definitely not, they're boring.

Offline kaz1983

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28947 on: July 11, 2018, 02:04:11 pm »
Agreed.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28948 on: July 11, 2018, 04:12:56 pm »
Agreed and it can also skew the GC massively if you have a powerhouse TT team.

Always felt it totally unfair that riding fast for 20 minutes with some bruisers helping you out has the same bearing as slogging your bollocks off up Ventoux or Tourmalet for 5 hours and being on the verge of death all the time.

He said ITT though.

But I agree, all TTs aren't the most exciting racing ever to watch.

Offline kaz1983

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28949 on: July 11, 2018, 06:52:40 pm »
I'd love to see a mountain ITT, ala 2004 Alpe d' Huez

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28950 on: July 11, 2018, 07:48:41 pm »
I'd love to see a mountain ITT, ala 2004 Alpe d' Huez

Or like the one in the Giro Rosa last year. Proper hard course, made it very interesting.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28951 on: July 11, 2018, 11:33:46 pm »
I’d love to see a last day one again like in 89....but way teams are now no doubt they’d find a way to batter that build up into boredom
+6 ticket exchange

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28952 on: July 12, 2018, 11:40:35 pm »
Enjoyed today's immensely
I like Dan Martin.. Great attack.. Especially as he went out to make amends on the last time he had a go there
+6 ticket exchange

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28953 on: July 13, 2018, 11:18:58 pm »
Man it’s quiet in here
I think we’ve seen the end of Cav as a sprinter at this level sadly..just couldn’t compete
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #28954 on: July 14, 2018, 10:43:54 am »
French rider ftw tonight!
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28955 on: July 14, 2018, 01:03:18 pm »

Couple of meandering transition stages to come today and tomorrow before the first rest day and the beginning of the big boys' racing.

Today meanders Dan...tomorrow is cobbles!! No meandering there.Both Porte and Thomas to go down at least once each is my prediction..Two of the worst bike handlers in the pro peloton..which is bizarre given their level
+6 ticket exchange

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28956 on: July 14, 2018, 11:55:31 pm »
For a meandering one(!) that was pretty interesting.. Poor Martin.. who now has to face the cobbles in pain😔 Poor Cav too.. Was looking ok there and slipped his chain.. Bullshit there on Greipels demotion.. 100% on Gaviria that.. Sagan went early there which is a rare mistake from him.. Impressive from the big dutch lad for second day in a row
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28957 on: July 15, 2018, 12:08:38 am »
Simply cannot wait for today's stage and genuinely agree with the experts that this years TDF will be lost for a few of the GC riders today.

So excited for this as the cobbles in 2014 did for Froome.  And in 2015 they were a bitch.

Stage 9 of the TDF, Wimbledon final and Wold cup final. A veritable feast of top class sport on offer.

Tony Martin out of the tour and he was a big fav for today.

Sagan again for the win probably but I like 2015 Paris–Roubaix winner John Degenkolb to go close.

Bring it on.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28958 on: July 15, 2018, 06:18:24 am »
Looking forward to today's stage as well, could be a belter of a stage, bonus that might get the stage done & dusted before the World Cup final starts. Rest day tomorrow then the Mountains stages start Tuesday.
#Sausages

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28959 on: July 15, 2018, 12:01:43 pm »
Today meanders Dan...tomorrow is cobbles!! No meandering there.Both Porte and Thomas to go down at least once each is my prediction..Two of the worst bike handlers in the pro peloton..which is bizarre given their level
Jesus..Porte down already..and looking like he's out..in the first 10k..looks like a couple of pedestrians hurt there too
+6 ticket exchange