Author Topic: Red Dwarf  (Read 48570 times)

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
Re: Red Dwarf
« Reply #40 on: January 5, 2012, 01:40:57 pm »
Red Dwarf X is being filmed for Autumn showing

You'll have to forgive us if we get a little giddy as we type these words, but it really is a rather special thing to be able to say: Series X of Red Dwarf is now officially in production.

And what's more, we've got the pictures and video to prove it. First of all, Dave have posted an exclusive behind-the-scenes clip featuring Robert Llewellyn and Danny John-Jules undergoing their hair and makeup tests at Shepperton – offering, excitingly, the first glimpse of Kryten's mask and costume. The clip is also available on YouTube, in case anyone's having any trouble accessing it on Dave's site.

But if you really can't believe things are truly underway until you see a photo of the cast members on set... well, we've got one of those for you, too. Admittedly it's a half-built set, and admittedly Danny, Chris and Craig aren't in costume or anything... but there they are. Holding scripts, and everything! Although just in case you're thinking about using Kryten's image-enhancement device to read what's on the page: we've tried it, it doesn't work.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/12/09/red-dwarf-x-is-go/

And this from the first live audience filming session:

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/12/23/new-beginnings/

So fucking excited and hope it will be brilliant - Also:

Q   Are the original cast returning?
A   The series will feature Rimmer, Lister, Cat and Kryten, once again played by Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn.

Q   Is there going to be a new series of Red Dwarf?
A   Yes! Six thirty-minute episodes of Red Dwarf X have been commissioned by broadcaster UKTV and are being written and directed by Doug Naylor. The episodes are being filmed at Shepperton Studios in front of a live studio audience in December 2011 and January 2012, and will be broadcast in the UK on the digital channel Dave in autumn 2012.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2012, 01:42:38 pm by lachesis »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #41 on: January 5, 2012, 03:02:23 pm »
Simply no good without Naylor and Grant.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 5, 2012, 03:29:57 pm »
My favourite was Polymorph.  Whole house damned near pissed themselves watching Lister hump Kryten.  Soon as it was over we rewound the tape and watched that scene again. XD
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #43 on: January 5, 2012, 05:03:14 pm »
so 6 20 mins episodes with engrosing adverts :/

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #44 on: January 5, 2012, 07:08:24 pm »
Will keep my hopes up. Saw Robert Llewellyn on the train the other day, I was disproportionately excited.

Series 7 was the last Dwarf I liked, although even that was average at best.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #45 on: January 5, 2012, 09:49:17 pm »
Fingers crossed. Like, really crossed. :-\

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: January 5, 2012, 09:53:44 pm »
But WHEN is it?

After the white hole!

But WHEN is it?

After the white hole!

But WHEN i......................... oh never mind.   ;)

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #47 on: January 6, 2012, 01:05:10 pm »

Offline B.A. Baracus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: January 7, 2012, 03:51:50 am »
Yes, but the thing is, about Captain Oates; the thing you have to remember about Captain Oates; Captain Oates... Captain Oates was a prat.

Offline archie87

• Main Stander
  • Smoke me a kipper there lad
« Reply #49 on: January 7, 2012, 11:38:07 am »
My granddad used to tape them off UK Gold for me and I'd watch them when I got home from school and I can honestly say when 'Back to Reality' finished I was genuinely shocked. It was one of the best bits of tv i'd ever seen. I didn't know about the twist so it was a completely jaw dropping moment. It made me want to be a writer.

"David Lister, Technician, 3rd class. Captain's remarks: "Has requested sick leave due to diarrhea on no less than 500 occasions. Left his previous job as a supermarket trolley attendant after ten years because he didn't want to get tied down to a career. Promotion prospects: zero."

Sounds eerily like my life so far. Really hoping this new series can redeem the quality that it lost for the specials and series 8.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #50 on: January 8, 2012, 01:12:41 am »
after the specials the other year not sure if im looking forward to this, if they can recapture the magic of series 1-6 then great.  is holly back?  " we are talking april, may, june and july fool..."

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #51 on: January 8, 2012, 04:11:45 am »
"David Lister, Technician, 3rd class. Captain's remarks: "Has requested sick leave due to diarrhea on no less than 500 occasions. Left his previous job as a supermarket trolley attendant after ten years because he didn't want to get tied down to a career. Promotion prospects: zero."

The follow-up line was better

"Arnold J Rimmer, Technician, 2nd class. Captain's remarks: "There's a saying amongst the officers: If there's a job worth doing, it's worth doing well. If it isn't worth doing, give it to Rimmer. He aches for responsibility but constantly fails the engineering exam. Astoundingly zealous. Possibly mad. Probably has more teeth than brain cells. Promotion prospects: comical"

Really hoping this new series can redeem the quality that it lost for the specials and series 8.

Only my opinion but series 7 was far worse than 8. No Rimmer for most of it, and Naylor tried to fill the void by bringing back Kochanski and it ruined the whole dynamic of the show. It didn't work. However, Rimmer was back for 8 and it had its moments, although taking the show out of its claustrophobic confines and back into the 'wider world' isn't my favourite idea ever.
The biggest problem though is the absence of Rob Grant from the writing and that hasn't changed. I've got the four Red Dwarf novels and the first two (Red Dwarf and Better Than Life) were co-written and are as good as you'd expect. The third and fourth were solo projects by each of the writers and in my simple mind the Rob Grant one (Backwards) is the funny one whereas the Doug Naylor one (The Last Human) is the sci-fi one. I've got a feeling that this new series will be like the Only Fools and Horses specials - there will be enough to remind you how good the show can be without threatening to raise the bar higher. Hope I'm wrong, but the Dave specials don't fill me with a great deal of confidence.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2012, 04:23:49 am by reniformis »
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 8, 2012, 10:32:19 am »
Like most here, I don't have very high hopes but I'll certainly give it a try when it's on.

There is a report from someone at a day of the filming here that is interesting: http://www.ganymede.tv/indepth/red-dwarf-x-episode-1-set-report .
It's spoiler free, on the strict orders of Doug Naylor, who interestingly says that "if the audience release spoilers Dave say they wont let us have a studio audience for Series 11" !

Offline archie87

• Main Stander
  • Smoke me a kipper there lad
« Reply #53 on: January 8, 2012, 10:58:46 am »

Only my opinion but series 7 was far worse than 8. No Rimmer for most of it, and Naylor tried to fill the void by bringing back Kochanski and it ruined the whole dynamic of the show. It didn't work. However, Rimmer was back for 8 and it had its moments, although taking the show out of its claustrophobic confines and back into the 'wider world' isn't my favourite idea ever.
The biggest problem though is the absence of Rob Grant from the writing and that hasn't changed. I've got the four Red Dwarf novels and the first two (Red Dwarf and Better Than Life) were co-written and are as good as you'd expect. The third and fourth were solo projects by each of the writers and in my simple mind the Rob Grant one (Backwards) is the funny one whereas the Doug Naylor one (The Last Human) is the sci-fi one. I've got a feeling that this new series will be like the Only Fools and Horses specials - there will be enough to remind you how good the show can be without threatening to raise the bar higher. Hope I'm wrong, but the Dave specials don't fill me with a great deal of confidence.

I think with regards to series 7 that an episode like 'tikka to ride' was classic dwarf. Of course that involved rimmer aswell. Regarding the books I agree. I read them in order I think (Infinity, Better than life, backwards and the last human) and the last human was loaded with good ideas but fell short for me. Also agree on Kochanski, It didn't work.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 9, 2012, 03:16:31 pm »
Yes, but the thing is, about Captain Oates; the thing you have to remember about Captain Oates; Captain Oates... Captain Oates was a prat.

I would have whacked him over the head with a frozen husky, then eaten him!

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #55 on: January 9, 2012, 03:45:43 pm »
Actually it is Naylor that does the science stuff not Grant - I don't think there was a monopoly on the gags but obviously two heads on the same wavelength are better than one I guess.

I only just round to watching the BTE episodes froma couple of years ago. Had to admit I thought they would be far worse. The first episode was a bit clunky and not sure I like the overall storyline but it wasn't terrible imo.

I have some high hopes after reading the reviews form the audience, it sounds more hit than miss anyway, but I think we have to face the fact that nostalgia means it will never be as good as you remember and the majority of us have had some cynicism/wisdom added to our years.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2012, 03:56:46 pm by lachesis »

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #56 on: January 9, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »
Series 7 stands up a lot better now that it did at the time, because after the wait between 6 and 7, it felt shite and not like Red Dwarf.

Much better as time has went on.

Not holding a lot of hope for this new series. Hope I'm wrong.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 9, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »
Series 7 stands up a lot better now that it did at the time, because after the wait between 6 and 7, it felt shite and not like Red Dwarf.

Much better as time has went on.

Yeah ? I might have to try watching it again, it's been a long time.

Maybe I'm being overly critical for a comedy show but the plot hole in Tikka to ride is appalling.. it bugs me in what is otherwise a funny episode

Offline AJ4Seven

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58 on: January 9, 2012, 09:21:19 pm »
I have never really understood the love for series 6 of Red Dwarf, it spent most of its time rehashing older episodes & the rest was filled up with crude jokes that lack the charm of earlier series.  At least 7+8 tried to change the formula (they are nowhere near as good as 1-5, but at least I didn't feel like I had see it all before).

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2012, 11:50:22 am »
First released picture from Red Dwarf X

Due for release on Dave sometime in September

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 12:30:21 pm »
If Rimmer was a hologram, surely his age would remain constant i.e he'd forever be the same age as when he died. He looks a lot older in that pic.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2012, 12:47:55 pm »
If Rimmer was a hologram, surely his age would remain constant i.e he'd forever be the same age as when he died. He looks a lot older in that pic.

It would be psychologically disturbing for a hologram to remain evergreen whilst the crew aged. Thus the holo-projector applies an ageing algorithm to Rimmer for the mental welfare of all.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2012, 01:33:27 pm »
It would be psychologically disturbing for a hologram to remain evergreen whilst the crew aged. Thus the holo-projector applies an ageing algorithm to Rimmer for the mental welfare of all.
Not bad!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2012, 01:35:52 pm »

Good point.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »

Exactly.

I can't help but look forward to it having seen those pictures. Even average Dwarf is still better than a lot of the rubbish on TV these days.

Aim for Series 1 - 6 and pray.

Interesting to see how well / badly the cast have aged. Danny J-J still looks young.

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2012, 02:50:48 pm »
Exactly.

I can't help but look forward to it having seen those pictures. Even average Dwarf is still better than a lot of the rubbish on TV these days.

Aim for Series 1 - 6 and pray.

Interesting to see how well / badly the cast have aged. Danny J-J still looks young.

Amen to that.

I think in reality DJJ is the one whos aged the most. He's been in a few British crime flicks that i've seen. They all look pretty good consdering its nearly 30 years since it started.

Can't wait for it.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »
"I was so Excited, I dropped me Skateboard!"

"big?  it's like two badly parked volkswagens."
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2012, 03:58:14 pm »
Okay, SP, you explained the Rimmer aging...what about Kryten's double chin?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2012, 04:55:08 pm »
Okay, SP, you explained the Rimmer aging...what about Kryten's double chin?

Well thats obviously spare head number 3 that got squashed in the case

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:30 pm »
Episode called confidence and paranoia is on dave now.

Boss. Haven't seen it ages.
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2012, 08:15:55 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8-qQ_twvleg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8-qQ_twvleg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2012, 08:45:27 am »
From what I've heard from people who attended the filming it is a true return to form. Though the guy's have not aged well at all

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2012, 10:51:51 am »
From what I've heard from people who attended the filming it is a true return to form. Though the guy's have not aged well at all

Fancy that people ageing. Shame on them!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2012, 11:02:09 am »
The follow-up line was better

"Arnold J Rimmer, Technician, 2nd class. Captain's remarks: "There's a saying amongst the officers: If there's a job worth doing, it's worth doing well. If it isn't worth doing, give it to Rimmer. He aches for responsibility but constantly fails the engineering exam. Astoundingly zealous. Possibly mad. Probably has more teeth than brain cells. Promotion prospects: comical"

Constantly fails the exam?  I'd hardly call eleven times "constantly." I mean, if you eat roast beef eleven times in your life, one would hardly say that person constantly eats roast beef.  No, it would be a rare, nay, freak occurrence.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2012, 11:36:41 am »
New series?

Quality

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2012, 11:45:29 am »
Looking forward to it after watching the trailer, always fun to see the back in character. I think having the audience will be a big improvement

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »
Fancy that people ageing. Shame on them!

More of a point to show how old they make me feel ;).

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:36 pm »
New series?
Yep

Quality
I really hope so

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 4, 2012, 04:00:37 pm »

Episode list:

Red Dwarf X will run for six episodes, with the titles as follows…

1 - Trojan

2 - Fathers and Suns

3 - Lemons

4 - Entangled

5 - Dear Dave

6 - The Beginning

Oct 4th - 9PM - Dave
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #79 on: September 4, 2012, 04:19:53 pm »
Yay!!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.