Author Topic: Golf Betting Thread  (Read 227729 times)

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Golf Betting Thread
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2011, 06:44:22 pm »
Only problem with Lefty is that he's playing terribly at the minute.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2011, 06:57:54 pm »
He really is and wouldn't touch him with a barge pole right now.  So inconsistent with his shots its untrue.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2011, 07:30:37 pm »
But the stats don't lie.  His game and type of shots he IS making this year suit this course and Tournament.

His putting does worry me though I won't lie.

Playing shite doesnt necessarily mean your guarenteed to win fuck all. Just look at Man Utd for proof.

Offline RedStevie1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:30 pm »
Mickelson really isn't playing terribly imo, but wouldn't back him this week, just a warm up for the Masters for him I think, he's in much better form this time last year than at the same stage as last year.

My bets this week for the Houston Open, Bobby Gates @ 170 on Betfair, DJ Trahan @95, Piller @ 750/1 e/w on bet365 for a few pennies.

Gates - Lives in Houston where the tournament is on, has a T5 and a 6th place finish already this season on the PGA Tour, won on the Nationwide tour last year, apparently excited about the tournament on Twitter.

Piller - 999/1 on Betfair, born and went to college in Texas, won the Texas Open last year on the Nationwide tour, PGA tour rookie, tournament is on in Texas, surely can't be the worst investment ever.

Hassan Open

George Coetzee at 70/1, playing decently, young and improving player, backed him last week and he got close at stages. First time I backed him for no real reason, will stick with him this week and see how he does.

Not gonna have a big bet this week, will save my ammunition for next week.

Offline JM10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:05 pm »
Backed Ben Crane in a dream last night, so I've had to go for him @55. Will probably go for a couple others when I've had a proper look.
Twitter

Betfair referral code: 7X3XLFRPH

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2011, 10:09:30 pm »
One of my men Johnny Vegas supposedly did a lot of college and golf in Texas before he made the tour.  Hopefully he may feel a little more comfortable and the course does favour a slightly longer hitter.  Not massively but it has its advantages.

No doubt i'll stick a few quid each way on the big man again. 

Hopefully see a big improvement from his torrid time in Florida.  He was fucking awful on the east coast!

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2011, 12:19:02 am »
DJ Trahan or De Jonge look like decent bets in Texas

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2011, 12:31:54 am »
Each players stats at the Houston Open for the last 21 years. I reckon Jeff Maggarts got a bit on the side who lives in the area. Does OK when he makes the cut as well.

http://www.golfobserver.com/golfstats.php?c=276
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:36:32 am by 81a »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2011, 11:57:05 am »
I reckon Jeff Maggarts got a bit on the side who lives in the area. Does OK when he makes the cut as well.

http://www.golfobserver.com/golfstats.php?c=276

:lmao

Cheers for that link. Handy to have :wave

Offline danbylfc

• Kopite
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2011, 01:12:15 pm »
Whos everyone tipping for the masters next weekend?
Twitter: @Stedanby

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »
Haha. Two of my three European bets are out in the same group first in the morning. Robert Rock to make all and not get caught. 8)

Offline 81a

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2011, 02:42:15 pm »
Whos everyone tipping for the masters next weekend?

I think most here will wait to see what happens with certain players form this week before committing. I'm on Mickelson as my main bet for the Masters whatever happens this week.

Talking about majors, it's the first ladies Major of the year this weekend. Suzanne Peterson has a nice record on this course. Three 2nd's and a 5th in her last 4 visits.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:45:48 pm by 81a »

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2011, 05:45:32 pm »
Had a quick look at the Hassan just now.

Ignacio Garrido has a decent record around here and has a previous win in this tournament.  50/1 on Bet 365.

David Horsey used to be a regular pick for me and @ 75/1 and will be a decent each way pick for that price.

Rafa Echenique is a decent player and 150/1 isn't bad for an each way bet.  I remember in the BMW where he came runner up in 2009 and I thought he'd be one to keep an eye out for.  It didn't quite materialise as I thought but still a gamble with small stakes.

4 fold - 2 balls - Bourdy, Huldahl, Milka Singh and Canizares
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:57:21 pm by AdamR »

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2011, 07:05:32 pm »
Shell Houston open.  All each way as per.

Francesco Molinari is my main bet for this one with the lowest odds.  28/1.  Great player and always seems to play well when I watch him.  Should be up there.

Louis Oosthuizen - 50/1 in most places but SKYBET wanted to give me 80/1.  I'll take a bit of that.

DJ Trahan is long and straight and proves decent value @ 80/1. 

Johnnatan Vegas is 80/1 on StanJames and 66/1 in most other places.  Usually get higher odds of 100/1 + but the field isn't as strong as usual.  He has had a nightmare in Florida but is more used to the West coast.  Played a lot of golf in Texas in his youth and hopefully this will help, he is also long off the tee which is a bonus at this course.  Will he improve his poor putting record though?  Needs to and rapidly.  Plus he is my regular bet too.  I like the kid and i'll stick by him with each way bets

4 fold - 3 balls - Palmer, Yang, Day and Levin

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2011, 08:58:12 pm »
Not much reasoning for the Hassan other that I don't NOT want to have a bet in it.

Darren Clarke - He reckons he's got a good chance of winning it so that will do for me. 50-1

Matthew Nixon - Young lad who's improving and looks like he may do well as he gains experience, 100-1

Carlos Del Moral - 2 top 20 finishes and a top 5 in his last 6 starts. 70-1 Betfair

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2011, 12:46:48 am »
Gone a bit mad as its pay day today.

added Lucas Glover and Justin Leonard to my other 4 Houston bets.

Leonard has done ok in this event over the years and is a Texas lad himself.  Glover is class on his day and seems to be finding his form a bit now (T20 last week) after only 4 starts this year.

thats me done now at least until the cut when i will see how shit my six picks are doing.

Offline 81a

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2011, 01:23:30 am »
Here's the forum picks for this week. I think I got everyones selections. Apologies if I didn't.  Let's see what our returns would be on a "very" hypothetical 20 x 12 = 240 Ł1 doubles on the win market. Total Ł240 stake.

Adam R had the PGA winner last week and we missed the Euro winner.

Houston Open in the PGA - Levin, Kuchar, Schwartzel, Day , Simpson , Kim, Taylor, Mickelson,Woodland, Marino, Jones, Trahan, Gates, Piller, Crane, Oosthuizen, Mollinari, Vegas, Glover, Leonard

Trophy Hassan in Europe - Bjorn, Rock, Luiten , Howell, Nilsson, Goetzee, Echenique, Horsey, Garrido,Del Moral, Clarke, Nixon

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:25:36 am by 81a »

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:02 am »
What an absolutely terrible start for my two bets. Jesus Christ.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2011, 11:44:06 am »
Didn't realise it was on 2 courses.

How do they work this then?

This has annoyed me greatly even though I don't actually know how it works. 

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:41 am »
Without thinking before posting.

Do they play one course thursday and one friday?

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2011, 01:10:30 pm »
I actually considered backing Michael Campbell at 300/1.

Suicidal.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2011, 01:29:22 pm »
I actually considered backing Michael Campbell at 300/1.

Suicidal.

Me and my mate look at his scores and laugh at him every week. Sure he wouldn't give a fuck what we say like as the guy is a major winner. But Campbell is a bit of a sad story who nearly always finishes last these days.

We backed Duval through years of his bad times and he never really pulled back his form

Actually texted my mate when Campbell was -2 after 2 earlier.

I'm going to have a pop on him not making the cut if there is a market available.

Online stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2011, 01:38:49 pm »
Tom watson is 750-1 for the masters with bet fred.

quid each way 8)

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2011, 01:46:47 pm »
Had to laugh at the ironic surname

He had an 8 on a par 3 too.

(in work so didnt have time to mess about to make it a decent size)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:49:25 pm by AdamR »

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:26 pm »
Luiten off the mark with a birdie and Robert Rock back to level par with an eagle.

The World is good again.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:59 pm »
I'm seeing Rock as -2 on my scoreboard (from the official site?)

3 bogeys to start
3 birdies
1 eagle

Offline 81a

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2011, 02:25:11 pm »

3 bogeys to start
3 birdies
1 eagle

They had his score on the 9th as a 6 on a par 4. It changed after his round.

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2011, 02:29:18 pm »
Robert Rock finished 2 under. Great finish considering he was 3 over after 4 holes.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2011, 02:37:12 pm »

3 bogeys to start
3 birdies
1 eagle

Just seen that now. Amazing scenes. He was on 2 over before that eagle. Excellent news.

Evidently wasn't awake when he started his round.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:53 pm »
Seven days away 8)

Yang each way for me in Houston this week, he's playing well from what I've seen of him this year.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2011, 03:20:18 pm »
If you back Woods next week I will genuinely march round to your house and beat you with a big stick.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »
Don't trust the european tour site.

It had dredge as -3 at his finish.  Now it says +3.

Same with Rock. Had him at level.  Now it is -2.

Bourdy was -4....Now he is -2 finished

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2011, 04:05:38 pm »
I know for a fact that a while back there were a few people sacked for putting up the wrong scores and backing the players they'd put the wrong ones up for.

Never, ever bet off the scoreboard! Suppose it's quite a difficult thing to do really when you think about what they're going, easy to make a mistake I suppose.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2011, 04:55:16 pm »
Not even gonna bother looking at it anymore.  Any other sites have leaderboards for the ET apart from Yahoo?

Also it seems the back 9 in the Shell Houston open is proving difficult for players at the minute

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2011, 06:01:49 pm »
If you back Woods next week I will genuinely march round to your house and beat you with a big stick.

It would be deserved. :D
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »
Luiten just holed a short iron.  Loads of backspin.  (Eagle I expect)

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2011, 06:23:17 pm »
Super Joost just nailed one from about 150 yards.

Is right kidder lar mate. -3 for his round. Shame about the three bogeys.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2011, 06:29:04 pm »
Horsey finishing -4

Good lad

Offline JM10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2011, 07:08:54 pm »
Crane dropped 3 shots in the last 3 holes the dickhead. Finished -2, not bad but should have been better.
Twitter

Betfair referral code: 7X3XLFRPH

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2011, 07:11:28 pm »
Could be worse.  Roland Thatcher just went in the water 3 times on one hole! haha
9 on a par 4