Author Topic: Chicago - Advice  (Read 8256 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Chicago - Advice
« on: January 6, 2010, 06:17:12 pm »
Hello there,

Looking to go with the missus in August for a week and then on somewhere (undecided).

Any tips on where to stay?

Central and cheap as possible please?

Thanks

Nick
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
Re: Chicago - Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2010, 06:19:21 pm »
Can't tell you about places to stay, since I stay with my roommate's family. But you've picked a lovely time of the year to visit Chicago.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2010, 06:22:06 pm »
Can't tell you about places to stay, since I stay with my roommate's family. But you've picked a lovely time of the year to visit Chicago.

There is also a music festival on.

Would you advise anywhere to travel onto from there?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #3 on: January 6, 2010, 06:22:55 pm »

Yes. New York.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2010, 06:24:29 pm »
Yes. New York.

Was thinking that!

We have done that and will be on our honeymoon.

We fancy a doing holiday (hence the Chicago part) and then wanted somewhere chilled but NYC is a brilliant but more more hectic option to have

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2010, 06:26:31 pm »
We fancy a doing holiday (hence the Chicago part) and then wanted somewhere chilled but NYC is a brilliant but more more hectic option to have

Florida's always an option. Disney world, good scuba diving, although a little muggy.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2010, 06:27:50 pm »
Florida's always an option. Disney world, good scuba diving, although a little muggy.

Thought that too - could advoid the Parks and go to a nice beach!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2010, 06:28:56 pm »
Love Florida me. Just booked to go back in the summer and we got married there in 2008

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2010, 06:29:45 pm »
Love Florida me. Just booked to go back in the summer and we got married there in 2008

Where you going?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #9 on: January 6, 2010, 06:31:07 pm »
Orlando I'm afraid so can't really help with your theme park avoiding.
Thr keys are meant to be nice, maybe a fly drive to Miami could be a good idea

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #10 on: January 6, 2010, 06:32:31 pm »
I know of a lovely little honky in Chicago, can't remember the name of the place as I had a broken heart and a woman on my mind at the time.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #11 on: January 6, 2010, 06:33:07 pm »
If ya want an interesting vacation there is always vegas. Always always something to do there.... not just gambling. Lots of shows and tours and whatnot.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 6, 2010, 06:35:27 pm »
If you mention one more fuckin time that you got married in Florida in 2008....I'll scream Kid am telling ye..I'll scream!!!

;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2010, 06:37:32 pm »
Ah but it was a lovely service, lakeside plantation, perfect blue skies, friends and family there...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2010, 06:37:52 pm »

Are you going to Lollapolooza in Grant Park? If so you may want to stay more in the downtown area, as it would be closer.

My girlfriend is currently finishing her doctorate in psychology in Chicago, so I've been to the city loads of times. For most people visiting Chicago, their list of must-see places includes the Chicago Instiute of Art, Wrigley Field (one of America's most famous baseball stadiums) and Navy Pier.

The northern parts of the city are nice and quaint filled with typical Chicagoan architecture. The southside is pretty sketchy, as are parts of the westside. Transportation is cheap and relatively quick, although some tourist spots such as the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry (once used as part of the World's Columbian Exposition as referenced in the book Devil in the White City) have to be primarily accessed via bus only.

A great place to eat on the northside in the Wrigleyville area that is cheap is Tango Sur. It's a small Argentine steakhouse and is often voted one of the best cheap eats in the city. I believe it's BYOB. You'd have to go early (i.e. 5pm at the latest) as it gets packed very, very quickly. The service is a bit slow, but the food and the portions are amazing.

Additionally, there is a small movie theatre a few doors down from Tango Sur called the Music Box Theatre, which runs foreign, classic and independent films. The theatre was originally built in 1929 and consists of a large, restored original theatre and a small adjacent one added in the early 90s. It is a great place to watch a film, as it's like going back into time, complete with an organist playing before the film begins. They also sporadically have film premieres there or presentations by famous filmmakers and critics such as David Lynch, Roger Ebert, Spike Jonze and so forth.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15 on: January 6, 2010, 06:42:06 pm »
Any accomodation tips???

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2010, 06:42:52 pm »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2010, 06:44:26 pm »
Are you going to Lollapolooza in Grant Park? If so you may want to stay more in the downtown area, as it would be closer.

That is the plan - have you been?

Happy to stay in a B & B or guesthouse to keep cost down.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »
Any accomodation tips???

Sorry, I don't have any. There are loads of hotels in the downtown core. The ones along or just off Michigan Avenue will probably be the most expensive, as that is the city's main shopping boulevard. I hear the ones on East Wacker Drive between Michigan Avenue and Lakeshore Boulevard aren't too bad.

That is the plan - have you been?

Happy to stay in a B & B or guesthouse to keep cost down.

I haven't been, but almost did last year. You might be able to find more B&B type accomodation in the city's northeast areas (Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Lakeview)
« Last Edit: January 6, 2010, 06:47:57 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #19 on: January 6, 2010, 06:57:15 pm »
Sorry, I don't have any. There are loads of hotels in the downtown core. The ones along or just off Michigan Avenue will probably be the most expensive, as that is the city's main shopping boulevard. I hear the ones on East Wacker Drive between Michigan Avenue and Lakeshore Boulevard aren't too bad.

I haven't been, but almost did last year. You might be able to find more B&B type accomodation in the city's northeast areas (Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Lakeview)

Is this a safe part of town?

Offline Dish shhh

• Kopite
  • It's always darkest before the dawn
« Reply #20 on: January 6, 2010, 07:49:10 pm »

Lived in Chicago for 9 months and was back again last summer, just before La Palooza. Brilliant city and I lived in Wrigleyville, about 3 blocks from the old ground.  Anywhere near north towards the lake is pretty safe and cabs are cheap if you don't fancy walking after the festival.  There are loads of your standard discount hotel chains etc in and around Michigan Ave etc although they do tend to be a little more expensive during the summer.
Brian Reade - "Rafa Benitez was many things at Liverpool but unlike every manager since Kenny Dalglish, he was not a failure. Indeed a majority of Liverpudlians will remember him as a legend. Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy".

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #21 on: January 6, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »
Lived in Chicago for 9 months and was back again last summer, just before La Palooza. Brilliant city and I lived in Wrigleyville, about 3 blocks from the old ground.  Anywhere near north towards the lake is pretty safe and cabs are cheap if you don't fancy walking after the festival.  There are loads of your standard discount hotel chains etc in and around Michigan Ave etc although they do tend to be a little more expensive during the summer.

Any good ones?

Cannot wait to go

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #22 on: January 6, 2010, 08:51:35 pm »

Pretty much. Sent you a PM

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2010, 12:51:29 pm »
we went a few years back and stayed here. It was decent. Not plush, was due a revamp when we were there, but it was clean, reasonable and very handy for everything. :wave

Aside from the Galleries, etc already mentioned I would recommend the Aquarium which is amazing, and if you like architecture head out to the 'burbs to see the Frank Lloyd Wright house and neighbourhood - travelling out on the train gives you a sense of the size and scale of Chicago.

Offline bigman1981

• For men
  • Legacy Fan
  • OOT wool - but just can't help loving LFC!
« Reply #24 on: January 7, 2010, 02:23:38 pm »
The Intercontinantal on Michigan Avenue is lovely.  Their room rate isn't cheap if you are staying for a single night, but they always do deals if you are booking a few days there.

I've stayed there 3 times, and have got 3 nights for the price of 2 each time.
Red Forever!!!!!

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #25 on: January 7, 2010, 02:38:02 pm »
Was gonna say Boston, and it's worth a day/day and a half on the way to New York. Or, you could head to Toronto.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #26 on: January 7, 2010, 02:44:04 pm »
Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza.
DAMMIT!

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #27 on: January 7, 2010, 03:18:58 pm »
Dont go to Holiday Inn...

...but do go have a deep pan pizza & Tabasco chicken wings at Exchequer pub and a night out in Green Mill.  You'll love Chicago
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 05:48:09 pm »
Going to book this week - just need to find somewhere to go after.

Ideally we would like a beach holiday nearby to finish off the honeymoon nicely.

Offline Meg7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 04:56:37 am »
Depends on what you want to do. The museums are good but chances are (depending on day/time) they'll be pretty hectic. They generally are anyways but worth going to be honest.

You have to visit the Sears (now known as Willis) Tower. You get great views of the entire city. Just make sure it is a clear day or that plan is not worth it.

As for food, you can find anything at any price. You have Greek Town and Little Italy (I am situated in between them) and it's all good. As for more expensive you have the steakhouses such as Harry Carey's or Ruth's. Depending on what you want though, you can find it. Greek, Italian, Brazilian, etc. It's all there.

Lincoln Park is gorgeous but during August filled with kids. Anytime during the summer is really. Shopping on Michigan Ave. is worth it. Even if you aren't looking to buy, it's a good place to go to window shop and see people and see most of the buildings.

If you need any other advice let me know. Chicago is a great place.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »
Went about a year ago and stayed here......

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d75758-Reviews-Flemish_House_of_Chicago-Chicago_Illinois.html

Was really nice, not too expensive and decent location.

One recommendation I would suggest is going to the Hancock Tower rather the Sears tower. If you go to the Hancock Tower you can go to The Signature rooms on the 95th floor and have a drink while enjoying amazing views of Chicago. My missus told me the views from the Woman toilets was amazing! Get there about 4 or 5 o'clock and you should miss most of the queues. Plus you'll get the sunset on a clear day.

From my experience the other places in the States worth tagging on are Boston and New York (though the same type of place as Chicago) on the East coast. Parts of North Carolina and the deep South are nice as well. If you have the time then I would consider going further west to Las Vegas or San Francisco. If it was me I'd go San Fran. Think it's the best city in the US I've been to. It's not only the city itself, it's the surrounding areas you can visit (Yosemite, Napa Valley, Carmel etc...). Need a decent amount of time to explore fully though.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 01:47:59 pm »
Stayed at the Hilton where the Fugitive was filmed. There were about 1500 of us....were told to only turn left out of the hotel as if we went a block right we would be in a very shady part of town where muggings and shootings were always happening.
Did the Sears tower - that was amazing and also went to the Crazy Horse II club ;) ;D.

Really enjoyed the city and the shopping and the cows...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 03:03:56 pm »
May go to California after

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 03:10:07 pm »
May go to California after

Good choice.....just don't go to LA!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 03:13:40 pm »
Good choice.....just don't go to LA!

Where abouts?

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 03:23:26 pm »
Where abouts?

Personally I'd go to San Francisco, if I was going to California. Been there a few times and thought it was immense. Loads of stuff to do in the city itself plus you have things like Sausalito, the wine regions like Napa Valley and Sonoma, Carmel etc. within a day trip away. You could even do Yosemite at a push within a day. Though you probably need a couple of days to see it properly.

San Fran is small enough to get round it easy enough but big enough to have enough to do. I didn't think it was an amazing night out though there are some quality resturants out there to eat. Thought LA was too much of a sprawling metropolis to really explore the place and get a feel of what it's about.

Just my pesonal experience really. Others may have completely different ideas!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:16:27 pm by Jookie »

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 03:57:44 pm »
Where abouts?

San Francisco, in a heartbeat. Or stay over the bridge in Marin County or Sausalito, it's all amazing, gorgeous, laid back, perfect honeymoon stuff. Or head south to Santa Cruz, Big Sur, etc.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »
San Francisco, in a heartbeat. Or stay over the bridge in Marin County or Sausalito, it's all amazing, gorgeous, laid back, perfect honeymoon stuff. Or head south to Santa Cruz, Big Sur, etc.

Done San Fran previously and liked it but did not love it.

Missus wants to do Hawaii now

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:40 pm »
Went about a year ago and stayed here......

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d75758-Reviews-Flemish_House_of_Chicago-Chicago_Illinois.html

Was really nice, not too expensive and decent location.

One recommendation I would suggest is going to the Hancock Tower rather the Sears tower. If you go to the Hancock Tower you can go to The Signature rooms on the 95th floor and have a drink while enjoying amazing views of Chicago. My missus told me the views from the Woman toilets was amazing! Get there about 4 or 5 o'clock and you should miss most of the queues. Plus you'll get the sunset on a clear day.

From my experience the other places in the States worth tagging on are Boston and New York (though the same type of place as Chicago) on the East coast. Parts of North Carolina and the deep South are nice as well. If you have the time then I would consider going further west to Las Vegas or San Francisco. If it was me I'd go San Fran. Think it's the best city in the US I've been to. It's not only the city itself, it's the surrounding areas you can visit (Yosemite, Napa Valley, Carmel etc...). Need a decent amount of time to explore fully though.
That looks perfect to be fair.

Quite a light sleeper so prefer guest houses as less people to make noise!

Offline Delicious

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 12:53:28 am »

Are you planning on attending Lala?