Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1009940 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Alcohol Issues
« Reply #11400 on: July 16, 2017, 05:36:00 pm »
By the way, the question to ask isn't "what's wrong with a few pints every now and then?"

The correct question to ask is "what the fuck is right with it?"

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #11401 on: July 16, 2017, 11:08:32 pm »
By the way, the question to ask isn't "what's wrong with a few pints every now and then?"

The correct question to ask is "what the fuck is right with it?"

I read this thread with interest, as I have experienced the effects it can have on people, though not me personally. You talk a lot of sense, but I can't agree with that. For most people, there isn't anything wrong with it.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #11402 on: July 16, 2017, 11:18:54 pm »
I read this thread with interest, as I have experienced the effects it can have on people, though not me personally. You talk a lot of sense, but I can't agree with that. For most people, there isn't anything wrong with it.

I'm not sure that's entirely true (because there are a lot of people who have an unhealthy but functional relationship with drink) but I agree with your basic point. My Dad always said he got good value out of pints, they helped him unwind after a stressful job. He still drinks a couple of pints most evenings in his local before dinner, which is with wine and then maybe a whiskey before early bed. He's 77 and still plays golf and goes to the gym and and complains in restaurants. I know alcohol is technically a poison but I'd say he views it as a positive influence in his life. He may be wrong but at that point, you have to examine what you're trying to prove.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11403 on: July 16, 2017, 11:27:06 pm »

You're 100% correct. There's nothing "wrong" with it in the sense of the word

Just like there's nothing "wrong" with any addict abusing any substance of his/her choice as long as it doesn't affect anyone but themselves

The overriding point that I was trying to make is that it's a poorly framed question

It's idle rationalizing at it's worst

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11404 on: July 17, 2017, 04:37:11 pm »
Coming from someone who is pretty much teetotal, this sounds absolutely insane to me. During work hours? 15-20 pints? So your company is paying you to work, and you're consuming enough ale on your breaks that someone without your tolerance would probably be a bit too pissed to actually do any work.

I mean fair play if you can sustain it, but it sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

No 'probably' about it I would be obviously pissed.

The multiple pints during work thing is amazing to me also, plus the financial aspect as Billy says. How much do you pay for a pint?

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #11405 on: July 18, 2017, 03:42:25 pm »

The multiple pints during work thing is amazing to me also, plus the financial aspect as Billy says. How much do you pay for a pint?

That was one thing for me that I had to cut out. Drinking at lunchtime is a vicious circle. When my marriage was at it's worst, I had a period of about 2 years where I would go the pub maybe 3 days a week and have 2 or 3 pints because I dreaded the evenings and a few pints with the paper at lunch was a release. The problem with that is that drinking at lunchtime and then stopping makes you tired in the afternoon so you get to the time you finish and you have 2 choices i) don't have another drink and feel sluggish and lethargic all night or ii) have a few more beers and the choice is always the latter unfortunately.

I do very rarely have one at lunch now but that is more a social thing if people from work are going out but that is probably twice a year.

The cost was a big thing for me too. I work in London and the pub I was drinking in was a fiver a pint and I was getting a little bit of lunch in there so I was spending 20 quid per lunch break and you look back at the end of the month and realise you have pissed a fortune up the wall.

From your other posts Barney, sounds like you have a lot of other stuff on in your life so I can see the need for the release and I don't blame you. I don't know what job you do and what hours you work but mine is an office job and I found any of these 3 helped:

1) bring lunch in with you, that way you don't leave the office and the temptation for the pub is lessened
2) leave your bank cards at home and only take to work with you the money you will need for the day. I used to bring a fiver in as that would cover anything I needed and wasn't enough to go the pub
3) go lunch early. I found that if I did leave the office, going at my first opportunity (12) meant that I could go out and be back in the office before I really felt like a beer. If I left it until 1 or later I knew i'd be tempted.

Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11406 on: July 18, 2017, 11:08:21 pm »
Coming from someone who is pretty much teetotal, this sounds absolutely insane to me. During work hours? 15-20 pints? So your company is paying you to work, and you're consuming enough ale on your breaks that someone without your tolerance would probably be a bit too pissed to actually do any work.

I mean fair play if you can sustain it, but it sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I'll have an hour for lunch and have 3 pints (between 3.30 to 4.30), sometimes an hour and a half and have 4 (3 to 4.30). We'd then go back over for another pint around half 5, and depending if my manager is still there or not, I'd nip over again at half 6 for another when my mate is leaving.
Most days though it's only an hour for lunch and a pint at 5.30.

I'd take it if I could promise to try really hard  :D A quick calculation - I spend about £4500 on pints just in work. Fucking ridiculous when you look at it like that. That's not even the days I leave early, the drinks after work, or nights out at the weekend.

£3.50 between 3 and 7. Goes up to £4.00 after 7
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11407 on: July 18, 2017, 11:24:50 pm »
That was one thing for me that I had to cut out. Drinking at lunchtime is a vicious circle. When my marriage was at it's worst, I had a period of about 2 years where I would go the pub maybe 3 days a week and have 2 or 3 pints because I dreaded the evenings and a few pints with the paper at lunch was a release. The problem with that is that drinking at lunchtime and then stopping makes you tired in the afternoon so you get to the time you finish and you have 2 choices i) don't have another drink and feel sluggish and lethargic all night or ii) have a few more beers and the choice is always the latter unfortunately.

I do very rarely have one at lunch now but that is more a social thing if people from work are going out but that is probably twice a year.

The cost was a big thing for me too. I work in London and the pub I was drinking in was a fiver a pint and I was getting a little bit of lunch in there so I was spending 20 quid per lunch break and you look back at the end of the month and realise you have pissed a fortune up the wall.

From your other posts Barney, sounds like you have a lot of other stuff on in your life so I can see the need for the release and I don't blame you. I don't know what job you do and what hours you work but mine is an office job and I found any of these 3 helped:

1) bring lunch in with you, that way you don't leave the office and the temptation for the pub is lessened
2) leave your bank cards at home and only take to work with you the money you will need for the day. I used to bring a fiver in as that would cover anything I needed and wasn't enough to go the pub
3) go lunch early. I found that if I did leave the office, going at my first opportunity (12) meant that I could go out and be back in the office before I really felt like a beer. If I left it until 1 or later I knew i'd be tempted.

Civil Service mate. I can start as late as 12.30 (which I do most days) and have to work until at least 6.30. If I don't leave early for drinking, I'd stay until 8 most of the time.
The last few days haven't been normal days. Last Tuesday I went over and had a Fanta as I was completely fucked from drinking Saturday Sunday and Monday. Off work for public holiday Wednesday and Thursday, then only had 1 pint on Friday. Didn't have any yesterday until a guy that is helping me with some interview prep said about chatting to me for an hour after work. So I left work at quarter to 5 and had 4 or 5 before going home at 8. Today, I was in the bar twice. Only went over for half an hour at 4 despite knowing the ones I usually go with were there at the normal time. I didn't have anything. Back over again at 5.30, and again, didn't have anything.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #11408 on: July 19, 2017, 05:08:08 pm »
I had a mate who for a few years worked in a traditional old English midlands steel firm (strangely now out of business).

He would have 4 four pints at lunch, then go out after work and have another 4. When he got home he would have a couple of cans and vodka or something before bed.

On weekends he drank even more at home. This was all in his mid 20s. Of course he was over weight too as he didnt do any exercise.

Now he is a diabetic and hardly drinks anymore.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11409 on: July 19, 2017, 05:51:37 pm »
I'd take it if I could promise to try really hard  :D A quick calculation - I spend about £4500 on pints just in work. Fucking ridiculous when you look at it like that. That's not even the days I leave early, the drinks after work, or nights out at the weekend.

What do you spend on it a year? In total?

About 8 to 10 grand?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11410 on: July 19, 2017, 07:03:45 pm »
What do you spend on it a year? In total?

About 8 to 10 grand?

Hard to say really, but probably is pushing that. Some weeks I'd drink nothing outside of work hours, some weeks I'd take 2 days leaving work at 4.30 after lunch and sitting there to closing, then drink at the weekend also.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11411 on: July 19, 2017, 10:01:59 pm »
Hard to say really, but probably is pushing that. Some weeks I'd drink nothing outside of work hours, some weeks I'd take 2 days leaving work at 4.30 after lunch and sitting there to closing, then drink at the weekend also.

Would I be correct in saying it consumes the majority of your disposable income?

And also consumes the majority of your free time?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11412 on: July 19, 2017, 10:12:25 pm »
For sure

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11413 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19:47 pm »
Off to the GP tomorrow. These night sweats and general meh obviously have nothing to do with alcohol.

Been reading around, convinced myself I have a lymphoma or other nasty. Hope not.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11414 on: July 20, 2017, 09:19:57 am »
For sure

How are you health wise?

Do you work out? Go to the gym? Play footy? Any of that sort of thing?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11415 on: July 20, 2017, 09:24:35 am »
Off to the GP tomorrow. These night sweats and general meh obviously have nothing to do with alcohol.

Been reading around, convinced myself I have a lymphoma or other nasty. Hope not.

For what it's worth, last time I googled my symptoms I thought I was in the early stages of cardiac arrest

Turns out it was mild acid re-flux. The doctor gave me gaviscon and told me to go home ;D

Don't worry yourself too much. It mightn't be as serious as you think

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11416 on: July 20, 2017, 01:08:43 pm »
For what it's worth, last time I googled my symptoms I thought I was in the early stages of cardiac arrest

Turns out it was mild acid re-flux. The doctor gave me gaviscon and told me to go home ;D

Don't worry yourself too much. It mightn't be as serious as you think

Second this, do not google any symptoms, you'll always end up convinced you've got a major illness. Just wait to see what the GP says
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11417 on: July 20, 2017, 02:38:33 pm »
Second this, do not google any symptoms, you'll always end up convinced you've got a major illness. Just wait to see what the GP says

I took my son to the docs the other week as his shoulder was raised on one side, so making him lok like his other side had drooped....looked odd, so took him to the doc's.

Now, I'm not saying she wasn't a qualified doctor, but it started out as being curvature of the spine and ended up going to a pulled muscle in his neck....or something inbetween.

She even went on a symptoms website to check these things out.

She said to give him Calpol and Ibrupofen and to see how it was over the weekend.

Luckily it was just a pulled muscle and he was fine, but if a doctor can't be sure, what chance do we have??

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #11418 on: July 20, 2017, 03:11:05 pm »
A couple of days off 200 without now and saved a lot of money. Got a few Liverpool games to come up and already have the  money boxed off for them. Going forward I plan to allow myself to occasionally unwind with a drink on a Saturday night (my only night without work the next day) and then when I'm not driving to Anfield (me and a mate will take it in turns for Europe) a can or two in the car before we get to Liverpool and maybe 1 or 2 in the pub before the game.

So I'd be back drinking, but only midweek when I'm at the match or occasionally on a Saturday night. Roughly the sort of relationship with it I would like.

Will be pleased to get over 200 days without, I think that's a solid effort as my target was initially 60. Was tempted at a couple of weddings to just have one as I drove me and my girlfriend there but stayed the course. My main beneit was probably using the extended time not drinking (the 200 days) getting out of the situation I was in where I worked in bars, could drink while working and could drink free pints after my shifts, with lock ins at other pubs where the amount of alcohol I could consume day in day out was ridiculously high that I ended up doing like 7-8 pints a day continuously for weeks on end etc. My current routine wouldn't allow for anything like that level of drinking now as I have a new full time job 6 days a week from 9 to 6 and spend a lot of time with my son so I'll see how I go in a couple months and see how I feel.

I've really utilised the time without alcohol and the money saved to sort myself out and that's the main thing. We have another little one due in October and the missus can't drink until then so might even hold out until then myself  :wave
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:13:55 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11419 on: July 20, 2017, 04:04:11 pm »
Seems as if I'm off topic now.....   fucking hell things have moved fast for me today.

Saw my GP at 9.30, he was very thorough, sent me to have a load of blood tests and then a chest Xray.  Now while I feared lymphoma, that's chicken feed compared to the horror that might show up on the chest Xray of a smoker....

But radiographer didn't seem alarmed so I thought I was in the clear. This was 10.30.

After 12 had several calls from 'private number', but I knew it would be the GP and the fact he was chasing me didn't seem good, so being the rampant coward I am I ignored and didn't phone back. Then I had a voicemail from our hospital asking if I could come to an urgent clinic on Monday, and I knew the Consultant to be a chest specialist.

So I sat at home fucking shaking and determined to get roaring drunk or something.

In the end I phoned the GP.  They all seem pretty sure I have TB!!  Fucking TB! How on earth would I catch that?

But I tell you, if thats what it is I've dodged a fucking massive bullet or two.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11420 on: July 20, 2017, 04:06:28 pm »
Unless you die of it...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11421 on: July 20, 2017, 04:07:13 pm »
;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11422 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:09 pm »
A couple of days off 200 without now and saved a lot of money

Feels great, doesn't it?

A lad who I play football with is almost 6 months sober. He's planning to buy a 2009 Mercedes Benz out of the money he's saved from fucking drink off. Quite a big upgrade on the piece of shit Opel Astra he's been driving around in for the last 5 years

* No offense to Opel Astra drivers  :P *

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11423 on: July 21, 2017, 11:13:14 pm »
A couple of days off 200 without now and saved a lot of money. Got a few Liverpool games to come up and already have the  money boxed off for them. Going forward I plan to allow myself to occasionally unwind with a drink on a Saturday night (my only night without work the next day) and then when I'm not driving to Anfield (me and a mate will take it in turns for Europe) a can or two in the car before we get to Liverpool and maybe 1 or 2 in the pub before the game.

So I'd be back drinking, but only midweek when I'm at the match or occasionally on a Saturday night. Roughly the sort of relationship with it I would like.

Will be pleased to get over 200 days without, I think that's a solid effort as my target was initially 60. Was tempted at a couple of weddings to just have one as I drove me and my girlfriend there but stayed the course. My main beneit was probably using the extended time not drinking (the 200 days) getting out of the situation I was in where I worked in bars, could drink while working and could drink free pints after my shifts, with lock ins at other pubs where the amount of alcohol I could consume day in day out was ridiculously high that I ended up doing like 7-8 pints a day continuously for weeks on end etc. My current routine wouldn't allow for anything like that level of drinking now as I have a new full time job 6 days a week from 9 to 6 and spend a lot of time with my son so I'll see how I go in a couple months and see how I feel.

I've really utilised the time without alcohol and the money saved to sort myself out and that's the main thing. We have another little one due in October and the missus can't drink until then so might even hold out until then myself  :wave
If you haven't had a drink for 200 days you don't need it at all, and if you felt the need to stop tempting it back in is a foolish choice.
Just my opinion, but just saying.
Either way,  best hope to you on your journey.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11424 on: July 22, 2017, 04:07:08 am »
If you haven't had a drink for 200 days you don't need it at all, and if you felt the need to stop tempting it back in is a foolish choice.
Just my opinion, but just saying.
Either way,  best hope to you on your journey.

Without AA stopping is impossible. Eventually we think we can have a few. Been there so many times.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11425 on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:56 am »

Who are you trying to impress with 200 days?

Means nothing when you have your first jar

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11426 on: July 22, 2017, 06:13:51 am »
Who are you trying to impress with 200 days?

Means nothing when you have your first jar

Chill out, there's many different levels to this. Not everyone who drinks too much is on George Best/Gazza status.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11427 on: July 22, 2017, 07:06:59 am »
Chill out, there's many different levels to this. Not everyone who drinks too much is on George Best/Gazza status.

I can see through the bollox.

It's an illness. Won't massage the egos of people kidding themselves.

What levels are you referring too?

I've picked up after a year and will now drink to oblivion. Time spent is irrelevant.

There's only two types. Drinking problem and alcoholic. One is solved by getting a grip the other is an illness. It's such a misunderstood thing.

Your comment is ill judged at best and quite frankly not welcome. Citing Gazza and George Best as examples has annoyed me. Are they who you think of?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:26:46 am by CrasherKid79 »

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11428 on: July 22, 2017, 10:09:20 am »
Without AA stopping is impossible.

I wouldn't agree with that entirely

Don't get me wrong, AA is a great fellowship that helps a lot of people

Its just not for everyone I don't think

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #11429 on: July 22, 2017, 10:17:55 am »
I tried AA and it was not for me. Hated it.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11430 on: July 22, 2017, 10:57:16 am »

It's a progressive disease though

Best and Gazza are good examples of that fact

If I went back to drinking tomorrow then id probably be worm food within 15 years

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11431 on: July 22, 2017, 10:59:58 am »
I tried AA and it was not for me. Hated it.

I didn't hate it as such. I just remember sitting there once listening to some bloke rambling on about how he used to come home drunk and batter his wife. I remember thinking "I don't need to be hearing this". I just found it all a tad depressing. I don't need to sit in an AA room to recognize that I have a problem like. If you know what I mean?

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11432 on: July 22, 2017, 11:03:42 am »
Indeed i do Billy. Works for some, just not me mate.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11433 on: July 22, 2017, 11:15:05 am »
Indeed i do Billy. Works for some, just not me mate.

It's a great source to stop.

I found it very outdated to stay..

I'm an alcoholic and made my peace with it. I will drink today and stop tomorrow for about 4 months.

That's an illness, not a problem.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11434 on: July 22, 2017, 05:58:45 pm »
I can see through the bollox.

It's an illness. Won't massage the egos of people kidding themselves.

What levels are you referring too?

I've picked up after a year and will now drink to oblivion. Time spent is irrelevant.

There's only two types. Drinking problem and alcoholic. One is solved by getting a grip the other is an illness. It's such a misunderstood thing.

Your comment is ill judged at best and quite frankly not welcome. Citing Gazza and George Best as examples has annoyed me. Are they who you think of?

Didn't mean to cause offence, I apologise. I agree that it is a very 'enabling' thing to say, so maybe I should have just kept quiet. Not everyone who drinks too much is an alcoholic, that's all I'm saying. Some people can break bad habits and start to use alcohol more responsibly, some can't. I don't know what bracket Hij falls into.

It's true that the "I'll just cut down" lie is something that alcoholics kid themselves with for years, I've seen it many times on this very thread over the years.

In terms of drink-yourself-to-death alcoholics, while talking on a footy forum, yes George Best and Gazza are who come to mind.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11435 on: July 22, 2017, 06:12:07 pm »
I've just re-read your post and we are not that far off from each other:

You are diagnosing Hij as an alcoholic whereas I'm diagnosing him as having a drinking problem, which I think he got a grip of. Maybe I'm giving him too much benefit of the doubt.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11436 on: July 22, 2017, 08:00:37 pm »
Didn't mean to cause offence, I apologise. I agree that it is a very 'enabling' thing to say, so maybe I should have just kept quiet. Not everyone who drinks too much is an alcoholic, that's all I'm saying. Some people can break bad habits and start to use alcohol more responsibly, some can't. I don't know what bracket Hij falls into.

It's true that the "I'll just cut down" lie is something that alcoholics kid themselves with for years, I've seen it many times on this very thread over the years.

In terms of drink-yourself-to-death alcoholics, while talking on a footy forum, yes George Best and Gazza are who come to mind.

The wife's Ma now lies to her sister (wife and ma in law no longer speaking thank fuck) about how much and how often she drinks. Claims she only has two halves of lager a day, yeah she looked like it when she saw me and the lad at the chippy last week, 7pm and pissed. She's been in bed last few days because she's ill. The sister in law is having to sell her house due to a relationship break up, the Ma said her and the kids can move in with her, then changed her mind a few days later. As someone pointed out, its because she'd not be able to drink with them in the house.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11437 on: July 23, 2017, 09:19:39 am »
How are you guys/gals doing today?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11438 on: July 23, 2017, 01:49:36 pm »
When you stop drinking, you realise how many of your friends and family have a fucked relationship with alcohol:

My sister denies that she drinks, but mid week she'd call you off her face and you wouldnt here from her for a couple of days.
My ma hits the bottle when she's stressed after looking after the grandchild, she tries her best to diet but eats a tonne when shes drinking which gets her down
My da has a few every night now, I think he's at the age where it probably won't matter much in the long run as he has other illnesses going on
My mates are on it every weekend. I join in the odd time, part of me says to cut them off because I can't change them, the other part just joins in the odd time because I'm lonely and I love them to death anyway.

Then again, maybe none of them are alcoholics, they just can't cope with life and need a distraction.

At the moment my distractions are studying full time and hitting the gym. It took me a while to be honest with myself and others about my relationship with alcohol. The people that care about me know that I get massively depressed if I drink too much so don't push it.

At the age now where I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks which is nice.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #11439 on: July 23, 2017, 03:42:54 pm »
When you stop drinking, you realise how many of your friends and family have a fucked relationship with alcohol:

Quite true