Author Topic: The Aussie Thread  (Read 331127 times)

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Aussie Thread
« Reply #4280 on: June 12, 2018, 07:57:25 am »
Alright then landing in Sydney on the 24th, joining work on the 2nd of July. Exciting times, although wrapping things up back home now is a nightmare. Workplace is in CBD (Martin Place) so looking at suburbs that are less than 45 minutes by train - Chatswood, St Leonards, Rhodes are on my shortlist. Fingers crossed, treat me well Straya!

I lived in St Leonards for about 8 years and have been in Chatswood for about 4 now.  Lovely area.  Chatswood is a bit livelier - particularly on the weekend.  The rail service on this line is about as good as it gets in Sydney.  Though there will be changes from October-May because they're converting the Chatswood to Epping line to a metro style of train from the usual heavy rail.  Not sure what kind of affect that will have until it happens. 

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4281 on: June 12, 2018, 11:35:40 am »
Any readers of the Betoota Advocate? They're actually incredible at what they do. ;D
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #4282 on: June 13, 2018, 12:07:13 am »
Alright then landing in Sydney on the 24th, joining work on the 2nd of July. Exciting times, although wrapping things up back home now is a nightmare. Workplace is in CBD (Martin Place) so looking at suburbs that are less than 45 minutes by train - Chatswood, St Leonards, Rhodes are on my shortlist. Fingers crossed, treat me well Straya!

I work in Martin Place, are you going to one of the banks? What are you looking to pay weekly for rent mate?
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4283 on: June 13, 2018, 12:21:48 am »
Any readers of the Betoota Advocate? They're actually incredible at what they do. ;D

I love the Betoota, this was one of their finest in my mind.
http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/local-boyfriend-made-sure-he-had-half-a-carton-in-the-fridge-before-the-bachelor-started/

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4284 on: June 13, 2018, 01:16:15 am »
We are Liverpool!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4285 on: June 13, 2018, 08:26:34 am »
Best media outlet in the country. This made me nearly spit out my coffee,

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/heres-why-kink-shaming-the-poo-jogger-is-problematic-for-people-who-like-laying-cable/

The bit about the author "Jamie Hottake" is fucking brilliant. I lived next to West End for ages and that was my part of town as it were. I've come across so many of these types over many evenings/nights in West End. The satire is almost too good.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #4286 on: June 13, 2018, 06:33:11 pm »
This might be a question for the Teachers' thread, but does anyone in here know if I'd have to complete my NQT year before allowed to apply for a skilled worker visa?

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4287 on: June 22, 2018, 05:19:29 am »
Getting ready to relocate to Brisbane. Moving out of our unit next weekend. The Mrs is heading up but I'm staying behind for a few weeks to finish up my contract. A mate of mine has a shop with a room above it so I'm going to be staying there. I'm going to have my telly and xbox but finding I will have a lot of free time to fill. It's kind of a weird feeling to be honest.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #4288 on: June 25, 2018, 03:54:50 am »
Getting ready to relocate to Brisbane. Moving out of our unit next weekend. The Mrs is heading up but I'm staying behind for a few weeks to finish up my contract. A mate of mine has a shop with a room above it so I'm going to be staying there. I'm going to have my telly and xbox but finding I will have a lot of free time to fill. It's kind of a weird feeling to be honest.

Took the plunge hey Owen . Not been to Brisbane for about 17 years looking to go there next year .Most people I speak to  seem to enjoy it especially up the Sunshine Coast. . Hope it goes well
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4289 on: June 29, 2018, 03:54:59 am »

Took the plunge hey Owen . Not been to Brisbane for about 17 years looking to go there next year .Most people I speak to  seem to enjoy it especially up the Sunshine Coast. . Hope it goes well

Hey Paul, I did indeed mate, had been offline for ages, apologies I just saw I had an inbox sorry for not getting back to you. Yeah been hearing great things about the Goldie, going to shoot down for a weekend soon. Getting very excited, although the wife left today and I'm in my mates place so it's a bit of an anticlimax for me for a few more weeks.

How's things up there, mate? You and the family all keeping well?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4290 on: June 29, 2018, 06:48:30 am »
Brisbane is great as both the sunshine and gold coasts are a stone's throw away. There are some great mountain hikes around the corner too in the border ranges or the sunny/gold coast hinterlands. It's a city that's really up and coming at the moment.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4291 on: June 29, 2018, 02:29:06 pm »
 Just popping in to say that Randwick is the best place in Australia and I miss it every day.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4292 on: June 29, 2018, 03:43:55 pm »
Just popping in to say that Randwick is the best place in Australia and I miss it every day.

Spot on.

See what I did there? What was the name of the pub at the top of Coogee Bay Road? Thirsty now. :D

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4293 on: June 29, 2018, 04:50:40 pm »
Spot on.

See what I did there? What was the name of the pub at the top of Coogee Bay Road? Thirsty now. :D

The Royal Hotel is on the corner of Perouse Rd and Coogee Bay Road. Best schooner of Coopers in Sydney!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4294 on: June 30, 2018, 02:01:57 pm »
The Royal Hotel is on the corner of Perouse Rd and Coogee Bay Road. Best schooner of Coopers in Sydney!

That’s the one. Closest bottlo to where I lived too.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #4295 on: July 3, 2018, 08:45:01 pm »
Hey Paul, I did indeed mate, had been offline for ages, apologies I just saw I had an inbox sorry for not getting back to you. Yeah been hearing great things about the Goldie, going to shoot down for a weekend soon. Getting very excited, although the wife left today and I'm in my mates place so it's a bit of an anticlimax for me for a few more weeks.

How's things up there, mate? You and the family all keeping well?

All good thanks mate still loving Darwin, now it’s the dry season till October the weather is great lovely everyday
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4296 on: July 5, 2018, 03:45:01 pm »
More than a little bit painful to be sitting on a PR visa, whilst knowing that you ideally need to wait 18 months before making the move...
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #4297 on: July 9, 2018, 03:10:17 am »

:D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/J1KBCYp8Z-s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/J1KBCYp8Z-s</a>

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4298 on: July 19, 2018, 01:31:54 am »
How are our newest Aussie residents settling in?

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4299 on: July 20, 2018, 04:48:44 am »
How are our newest Aussie residents settling in?

Just seen this and not been about online much as you would rightly imagine, so apologies for not responding to some messages directed at me above. The past month has been insanely hectic. Wrapping things up back home was a nightmare. Flew into Sydney and got medicare and all the other regular drill done in the first week, joined work and as luck would have it, my boss hasn't had a resource in 4 months and has pounced on me. Been house hunting a bit with the wife over the past couple of weeks and we're edging towards the Epping/Eastwood right now. Eastwood's chock-a-block full of Asian eateries so that's a big draw. Would have loved to live in Chatswood, St Leonards but we've noticed apartments become smaller and more expensive as you get closer to the city (duh!) and as a single income household (for now), we've been priced out of our requirement range. Walked with the wife the other Friday from Barangaroo along Darling Harbour, did dinner and drinks when the first salary hit the account and already falling in love with this place. Now on to nail an apartment down, buy some IKEA furniture to assemble and test our marriage.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4300 on: July 20, 2018, 09:22:20 am »
Just seen this and not been about online much as you would rightly imagine, so apologies for not responding to some messages directed at me above. The past month has been insanely hectic. Wrapping things up back home was a nightmare. Flew into Sydney and got medicare and all the other regular drill done in the first week, joined work and as luck would have it, my boss hasn't had a resource in 4 months and has pounced on me. Been house hunting a bit with the wife over the past couple of weeks and we're edging towards the Epping/Eastwood right now. Eastwood's chock-a-block full of Asian eateries so that's a big draw. Would have loved to live in Chatswood, St Leonards but we've noticed apartments become smaller and more expensive as you get closer to the city (duh!) and as a single income household (for now), we've been priced out of our requirement range. Walked with the wife the other Friday from Barangaroo along Darling Harbour, did dinner and drinks when the first salary hit the account and already falling in love with this place. Now on to nail an apartment down, buy some IKEA furniture to assemble and test our marriage.

Sounds like you're settling in well mate. Great to hear  :wave
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4301 on: May 16, 2019, 03:02:14 am »
I'll be posting this in the main board as well.

Champions League Final - where to watch in Melbourne.

I'm waiting on confirmation, but some friends are hiring a brewery in Moorabbin (20 minutes from City). It will be open (and licensed) from 1am-9am. This will be ticketed, will have a DJ and a singer (Jamie Webster/Boss style). Should be a cracking night.

I watched last year in The Imperial, atmosphere was ok. Wasn't ticketed, so had to get in before midnight before the lock in. No entertainment, so f*ck all to do before game started.

I'll throw the link once confirmed.
We are Liverpool!

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4302 on: May 16, 2019, 11:34:39 am »
I'm not Australian, but I am a cricket lover.

Rest in peace Bob Hawke

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #4303 on: May 16, 2019, 11:43:34 am »
I have a good friend who is Australian.
Over a few pints we were talking about our relationships,i said to him over the last year or so sex with my mrs had completely dried up.
He replied "bummer"
I said "fucking hell i don't think she'd like that"!!
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4304 on: May 16, 2019, 12:10:18 pm »
I'm not Australian, but I am a cricket lover.

Rest in peace Bob Hawke

Mad sports fan and a great politician.

On Australia winning the America's Cup for the 1st time in 126 years.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s8mdHO2_Zo8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s8mdHO2_Zo8</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4305 on: May 19, 2019, 12:53:05 am »
So what do fellow reds down under think about the election results last night?

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4306 on: May 19, 2019, 02:00:10 am »

Bit like Brexit. Pensioners concerned about losing a tax concession swung it over the younger generation worried about the future of the planet.

You had city slickers in the more affluent areas moving towards the environment while the bush (Queensland) just want jobs and that's through coal mining. Queenslanders seem to forget that the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest and their pristine beaches form the base of a $25b industry that employs 215,000 people. There is only 20,000 jobs in coal mining and that's expected to drop to 15,000 over the next few years due to automation. On that issue alone I feel like we're becoming the Kodak of energy. We've got 7.7m sq kms (2.9m sq miles) of land where we could lay out wind farms and solar panels.

The Liberals will have their tax cut implemented within the first few months and then they have nothing. If they don't come up with some decent policy then in 3 years they'll get smashed.

At the end of the day negative politics won.

There's a small lesson in this for the upcoming US election. Clive Palmer a mining 'billionaire' spent $80m of his own money and won no seats in either house of parliament. Some would say wasted money, but he stopped an anti-coal Labor party from winning so that's all going to come back to him in business. The Dems need to be mindful that someone like Howard Schultz could pull votes away from their base and leave the door open for Trump to win again.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4307 on: May 19, 2019, 02:56:20 am »
Bit like Brexit. Pensioners concerned about losing a tax concession swung it over the younger generation worried about the future of the planet.

You had city slickers in the more affluent areas moving towards the environment while the bush (Queensland) just want jobs and that's through coal mining. Queenslanders seem to forget that the Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest and their pristine beaches form the base of a $25b industry that employs 215,000 people. There is only 20,000 jobs in coal mining and that's expected to drop to 15,000 over the next few years due to automation. On that issue alone I feel like we're becoming the Kodak of energy. We've got 7.7m sq kms (2.9m sq miles) of land where we could lay out wind farms and solar panels.

The Liberals will have their tax cut implemented within the first few months and then they have nothing. If they don't come up with some decent policy then in 3 years they'll get smashed.

At the end of the day negative politics won.

There's a small lesson in this for the upcoming US election. Clive Palmer a mining 'billionaire' spent $80m of his own money and won no seats in either house of parliament. Some would say wasted money, but he stopped an anti-coal Labor party from winning so that's all going to come back to him in business. The Dems need to be mindful that someone like Howard Schultz could pull votes away from their base and leave the door open for Trump to win again.

Great post. I'll go further though and say the sneering attitude of too many left-leaning folks is a serious problem. I have been to some of the parts of Qld that voted against labour. Those people are doing it tough and economic development is a serious issue that way. Jobs are a serious concern. The anti-Adani protest which brought people from Sydney and Melbourne to tell them that they shouldn't be mining coal only served to alienate them further from what I can tell.

It's not just pensioners that baulked at the tax breaks but many working people too as many of my colleagues have been spooked as well. Ultimately, young, educated professionals in inner-cities are all in on climate change and identity politics but there are vast areas of the country that have little to no prospects economically-speaking while a huge number of people have planned their retirements one way only to be told that it wasn't going to work any longer. Labour's policies were great IMO but they just did a poor job of selling the message. They somehow managed to make their climate change policies sound like fear mongering to a portion of the country and their rhetoric on tax breaks was seen as divisive as it isn't just multimillionaires that are negative gearing their investment properties but many regular working people who are perhaps comfortably off but not "rich" per se.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4309 on: May 19, 2019, 06:36:29 am »
Great posts Barry and jooney. Agree entirely with your posts but additionally what scares me is the fact that the country has compulsory voting so the votes completely reflect the voting population's views on issues. Unlike countries like the US where older people vote in droves, minority votes are suppressed and gerrymandering is rampant. The urban and rural divide on issues seems increasingly polarised, and if my reading is right, the left (labor+greens) has been matching the Coalition's pull like for like, but don't have the equivalent to the smaller far right parties like ON and UAP, which were clearly what swung the preference in the LNP's favour.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4310 on: May 30, 2019, 06:56:53 am »
After almost 10 years in Australia, I'm becoming a citizen in the next couple of hours!

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4311 on: May 30, 2019, 07:37:44 am »

Labour will shift further right.   Basically we're fucked for a generation IMO.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4312 on: May 30, 2019, 07:38:01 am »
After almost 10 years in Australia, I'm becoming a citizen in the next couple of hours!

Congrats mate!

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4313 on: May 31, 2019, 06:29:02 am »
Labour will shift further right.   Basically we're fucked for a generation IMO.

Every country I've stepped foot in over the past 6 years has shifted right in subsequent elections - US, India and Australia. The world is shifting right, unfortunately, so I wouldn't place much of the blame on myself.

Congratulations! How did you celebrate? I've got another three to go before I can apply, hope ScoMo & Co. don't tighten the rules in the interim.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4314 on: May 31, 2019, 07:30:10 am »
Congrats, 16yrs since my own lobotomy.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4315 on: September 4, 2019, 05:43:18 am »
How are yee all doing? Been a while since I popped in to say G'day. Almost one year since I've made the move from Sydney to Brisbane. Christ what a year of ups and downs it's been. Nothing bad but a few false dawns for us job and housing wise. Definitely out the other side now and really settled up here now. The place has really grown on me. On another and far more important note: Christ almighty aren't our boys a fucking joy to watch at the moment? Hope you're all keeping well and that those moving over/applying for visas aren't getting too stressed!

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4316 on: September 4, 2019, 06:05:50 am »
How are yee all doing? Been a while since I popped in to say G'day. Almost one year since I've made the move from Sydney to Brisbane. Christ what a year of ups and downs it's been. Nothing bad but a few false dawns for us job and housing wise. Definitely out the other side now and really settled up here now. The place has really grown on me. On another and far more important note: Christ almighty aren't our boys a fucking joy to watch at the moment? Hope you're all keeping well and that those moving over/applying for visas aren't getting too stressed!

Where abouts in Brissy did you end up?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4317 on: September 4, 2019, 08:44:56 am »
Congrats, 16yrs since my own lobotomy.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

I've just seen this! Thanks, mate!

Offline Scaryscouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4318 on: September 5, 2019, 04:13:09 am »
Where abouts in Brissy did you end up?

We ended up in West End, absolutely love it there. Walk to work by the river most mornings and stop at the Montague hotel on the way home. Loving the lifestyle up here BIG change from Sydney.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4319 on: September 5, 2019, 04:30:07 am »
Well done on your move SS, glad to know it's all working out! Why did you move away from Sydney, if you don't mind me asking?

Also to the rest of you, is there any hope for someone like me to buy a house in this country when a) I only moved here last year at 30 b) Can't live with my parents to save on rent c) Nor are they bankrolling my 30th floor apartment in Sydney CBD as I start with uni. I know the answers already but I guess I'm just venting.