Author Topic: The Aussie Thread  (Read 330941 times)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Aussie Thread
« Reply #4120 on: August 5, 2017, 11:14:18 pm »
Wait you can watch all matches if you have Optus right??

Yes you can. But Optus are forcing you to either take up a mobile plan (I have a work phone) or internet (I'm in a contract with another supplier). Foxtel never forced you to take other products.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4121 on: August 6, 2017, 01:53:59 am »
Wait you can watch all matches if you have Optus right??

Premier league yes, but not sure about the champions league. Think that might be with Foxtel still. Either way, I've already got a phone contract and an internet contract. I'm not swapping over to another provider just for access to football particularly when it can take up to 4 weeks to get connections sorted here and it's a real hassle to do anyway.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #4122 on: August 6, 2017, 04:02:38 am »
I use my housemates Optus for all the football games and have his mates Foxtel on my laptop so get all the golf, footy, european football and Showcase/HBO that way.

Got very lucky as I was relying on shite streams initially and I don't have to pay a penny ;D

Also.. In regards to footy.. I never thought I would be but living in Melbourne it's inevitable but I love it and I'm a surprisingly passionate Essendon fan.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4123 on: August 12, 2017, 05:45:10 am »
What's a good pub in Adelaide to watch the match? I normally end up streaming it unless it's a Saturday early KO, which this game is. Ideally, some place in the City.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4124 on: August 14, 2017, 01:25:07 am »
I dunno, I might be switching jobs soon though and doing a road trip in between. Is it worth it to come check out Adelaide?

I hear they have hot Bogan chicks?
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4125 on: August 22, 2017, 04:27:03 am »
Yo yo yo, any of you aussie freaks got back money from the govt while filing for a tax return?

Like I'm just a regular corporate dude, is this thing even worth it?

Oh and Sydney women are fine, jesus!!

PS : 60$ per day to rent a Porsche? What a country!!

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4126 on: August 22, 2017, 08:00:54 am »
Yo yo yo, any of you aussie freaks got back money from the govt while filing for a tax return?

Like I'm just a regular corporate dude, is this thing even worth it?

Oh and Sydney women are fine, jesus!!

PS : 60$ per day to rent a Porsche? What a country!!
By law you have to fill out a tax return. I got $5500 back last year as I was working 2 jobs so yeah, I'd say it's worth it!

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4127 on: August 22, 2017, 08:02:33 am »
$5500?

What a country! What a country! Love it

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #4128 on: August 24, 2017, 09:09:13 pm »
$5500?

What a country! What a country! Love it

Go see a tax agent rather than doing it yourself is my advice.

I got $2500 back!

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4129 on: August 25, 2017, 05:44:08 pm »
Fuck I already did it.

How much do Tax agents charge?

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #4130 on: August 25, 2017, 06:16:25 pm »
Luckily already with Optus mobile...all bases covered
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #4131 on: August 26, 2017, 01:50:02 am »
Fuck I already did it.

How much do Tax agents charge?

Approx $100-$150
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4132 on: August 26, 2017, 10:34:55 am »
Ohhh mann, got someone you recommend for next time? If they give me back 5k road trip for 20 days. Any suggestions apart from up the East Coast and Great Ocean Road? Preferrably one with a few travellers as well

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4133 on: August 26, 2017, 04:00:23 pm »
Must be some dodgy tax agents out there.  I always get bent over.  Going to see one this year though.

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4134 on: September 9, 2017, 06:53:32 am »
Yo yo, anyone watching the game tonight at Cheers?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4135 on: September 18, 2017, 02:00:33 pm »
Our visa application finally got submitted this week. Fingers crossed.

So, after one entirely failed application of my own, one turned down as it wouldn't include my other half, and a further joint application which has been delayed for about six months, we finally got a response last week and both my wife and I have had permanent, full residency visas granted  :wave

Made up as I genuinely began to believe it wouldn't happen.

We'd already planned our honeymoon over there for November, so gonna now use that as a chance to do a bit of recon for where we might want to settle.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4136 on: September 18, 2017, 02:06:11 pm »
Full permanent residency? How have you managed that? Congratulations, do you have a rough idea of where you're going to live?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4137 on: September 18, 2017, 03:20:17 pm »
Full permanent residency? How have you managed that?

It's a state sponsored visa via my occupation. It's taken almost a year to put together the various elements of the application (statements, English tests, skill certification, expression of interest, police checks, medicals etc etc), get it lodged and hear back. Finally worth all the aggro though!

Congratulations, do you have a rough idea of where you're going to live?

Thanks mate. The sponsorship is via South Australia, so we'll be looking at Adelaide primarily. I lived in Perth for a year, and my wife lived in Sydney on an internship, so we both have attachments to those two cities as well, but yeah, will be trying to adhere to the moral obligation where possible. Gonna depend on where we can both secure work as much as anything.
Twitter | Blog

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4138 on: September 18, 2017, 03:44:25 pm »
I await the Adelaide is boring jibes from the Aussie posters residing in their multi cultural paradises! What about Coober Peru?!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4139 on: September 18, 2017, 03:57:53 pm »
I await the Adelaide is boring jibes from the Aussie posters residing in their multi cultural paradises! What about Coober Peru?!

Haha yeah, i've seen a few of those comments in here previously. I currently work with a girl from Adelaide and she's giving me a few pointers on the place from a resident's perspective anyway. To be honest, given the choice i'd probably head straight for Perth because I loved it when I was there before, in 2012/13. In terms of work, i'd probably have the best chance in Sydney or Melbourne. But all of that aside, SA will be the first place we look due to the sponsorship element and the obligation we have to them, and then go from there.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4140 on: September 18, 2017, 05:58:57 pm »
So, after one entirely failed application of my own, one turned down as it wouldn't include my other half, and a further joint application which has been delayed for about six months, we finally got a response last week and both my wife and I have had permanent, full residency visas granted  :wave

We'd already planned our honeymoon over there for November, so gonna now use that as a chance to do a bit of recon for where we might want to settle.

Congratulations! We just got in line last month. Now for the unending wait which, according to the border website, could last up to 15 months.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #4141 on: September 18, 2017, 11:20:03 pm »

Congratulations mate well done
I remember it falling through last time . It's best move we've ever made

Personally I'd not listen to much to Aussies about where to live as most don't realise what a great place Australia is & think places are shit such as Adelaide & you think really!!

Have you been to the UK ??

Now I'm in Darwin & it's fantastic. It's never going to compare with the big cities as it's really just a big country town in the tropics . Nowhere is perfect but for the relaxed Aussie lifestyle it's perfect.
All Aussies I know where unsure about Darwin but none had ever been here .
For us & others with children it's just amazing a fantastic place for kids . So much to see & do & for such little cost .

I've lived in Sydney & enjoy all the Australian cities but I think depending on circumstances depends where you want to live .

We really love Adelaide & is somwheowe would consider in the future but when I first came to Australia 22 years ago traveling would I have fancied Adelaide probably not as I loved Sydney & all the things you enjoy when your young.
Now no interest in living in the big cities.
You get used to the heat here in Darwin & in 8 months being here eve had ONE day under 30 degrees. It's 32-33 everyday so if we move I'm looking Cairns or Townsville still warm all year round .

As for work I'm sure your aware in Sydney & Melbourne there's far more competition & ive heard since being here Adelaide is notorious for difficult to get work & slightly higher unemployment rate

Perth can be tough aswell a lot of Poms I know here didn't find it easy to get work straight away or end up doing completely different jobs to what they did in the UK.

There is a positive though & I can only speak for Darwin which has a very very laid back lifestyle which is great but can be infuriating if you need something sorted but you have to embrace it as I left the hustle & bustle of London for a reason .

The positive being the work ethic here is shocking in fact horrendous. To be honest in the UK just called lazy . People here go sick constantly for such minor things & are late for work constantly.

Now I work for Kmart as Store Operations manager here in Darwin I've had no previous retail experience but the store manager was desperate for basically a reliable worker with a good background. 😁😁

The beauty for me is next step is Store manager & can transfer in time to virtually anywhere in Australia as Kmart are everywhere

It's about coming here with positive attitude & try not to compare everything. I know you've been here before as I had traveling etc but living here for good is surreal at times especially when I think I'm in Darwin of all places .

I'm off to Adelaide in December for the 2nd Ashes Test & can't wait , been some good banter at work already

When are you looking at relocating
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4142 on: September 19, 2017, 09:26:24 am »
Congratulations! We just got in line last month. Now for the unending wait which, according to the border website, could last up to 15 months.

Thanks mate, and yeah, it's a painfully frustrating process. The new visa year began in July and around that time the processing times seemed to jump astronomically. Ours went from an estimated six weeks, to 9-12 months, and no-one seemed to have an explanation as to why that was.

Anyway, good luck with it all, I hope it works out for you. Where are you planning to migrate to?

I'm off to Adelaide in December for the 2nd Ashes Test & can't wait , been some good banter at work already

When are you looking at relocating

Great to hear that everything is going well for you, Paul. It sounds like you've settled really well. I've never been to Darwin, or NT in general, although I do know someone who lives there now (I met them travelling the east coast) and he seems to love it as well. Each to their own on this, as you say. I met so many people who actually hated Perth, mainly because it wasn't big enough, but that was part of the reason I loved it. You can walk across the city, no problem. I imagine Adelaide is similar in that respect. The lifestyle, and the climate, are probably the two main things that attract us to Australia. The lifestyle overall I just found to be far more appealing that what we're used to in the UK.

When I lived in Aus before I did a heap of different jobs (labouring on building sites, slaughter houses, farms, warehouses etc) and wasn't bothered by that in the slightest. To me it was all an experience (some better than others!). If i'm coming permanently though, and this time with a PR visa and the hope that i'd actually be considered for permanent, professional positions, i'm hoping I can continue my current career over there. This is the thing though - what I do, the majority of the jobs and major software companies are centered around Sydney and Melbourne, although I have seen a few positions come up in Perth over the last few months, but very few, that i've seen at least, in Adelaide. I'm gonna keep an eye on it, but that will ultimately decide where we end up settling I think. Ideally I wouldn't want the move to involve a step back in either of our careers. Nearer the time i'm going to start applying for jobs from here as well. If even one of us could sort something out ahead of time it would make the move a whole lot less stressful from a financial viewpoint.

In terms of when, our plan was (UK) spring/summer 2019, so we've got some time to get some savings together to head over with, and to sort out everything that we need to sort out at home.

We're in Adelaide at the end of November this year, so just missing the Ashes, which is annoying! Decided in the end to go to the 'International rules' game between Ireland and Australia at the Oval instead. Went to a couple of Aussie rules games when I was there before and had absolutely no idea what we going on in front of me. I'm basically one of 'those' lads that people at Anfield moan about on a weekly basis! Should be a good craic though, can't wait!

Appreciate you sharing your experience and pointers as well, it's really helpful to hear from someone who has made the move already  :wave
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:59:45 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4143 on: September 20, 2017, 06:04:16 am »
Thanks mate, and yeah, it's a painfully frustrating process. The new visa year began in July and around that time the processing times seemed to jump astronomically. Ours went from an estimated six weeks, to 9-12 months, and no-one seemed to have an explanation as to why that was.

Anyway, good luck with it all, I hope it works out for you. Where are you planning to migrate to?

Thanks mate! I've got enough points to go down the federal route, and have family in Sydney, so Sydney it is.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4144 on: September 20, 2017, 10:18:29 am »
It's a state sponsored visa via my occupation. It's taken almost a year to put together the various elements of the application (statements, English tests, skill certification, expression of interest, police checks, medicals etc etc), get it lodged and hear back. Finally worth all the aggro though!

Thanks mate. The sponsorship is via South Australia, so we'll be looking at Adelaide primarily. I lived in Perth for a year, and my wife lived in Sydney on an internship, so we both have attachments to those two cities as well, but yeah, will be trying to adhere to the moral obligation where possible. Gonna depend on where we can both secure work as much as anything.

I can see the Adelaide is boring vibes. There aren't many people here that are from elsewhere, which makes it a seem a bit insular but having been here a couple of months now and starting to get to know some folks, it certainly is a nice place. Work can be difficult to come by based on what you do, but in terms of quality of life, I think it is possible to have a nice life on a fraction of what one might end up spending in Sydney or Melbourne.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4145 on: September 20, 2017, 10:23:55 am »
Thanks mate! I've got enough points to go down the federal route, and have family in Sydney, so Sydney it is.

Sydney is a banging city if you can afford to live in the nice areas. It can be a proper shit hole if you cannot. So that's one thing to consider. But to me at least, it's the city in Australia that genuinely feels like a big city with suburbs of very distinct characters in a way that Melbourne doesn't even feel despite its greater multiculturalism. Brisbane is cracking city that's really on its way up at the moment. A prominent real estate website just released their survey of the most liveable suburbs in Australia and 7 out of the top 10 were in Brisbane, which is a real surprise to some but as someone that lived there until recently, it came as no surprise to me.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4146 on: September 20, 2017, 10:58:10 am »
Sydney is a banging city if you can afford to live in the nice areas. It can be a proper shit hole if you cannot. So that's one thing to consider. But to me at least, it's the city in Australia that genuinely feels like a big city with suburbs of very distinct characters in a way that Melbourne doesn't even feel despite its greater multiculturalism. Brisbane is cracking city that's really on its way up at the moment. A prominent real estate website just released their survey of the most liveable suburbs in Australia and 7 out of the top 10 were in Brisbane, which is a real surprise to some but as someone that lived there until recently, it came as no surprise to me.

Thanks for that. We're going to be a dual income household working in tech, so based on some preliminary math, I don't think affordability would be a problem. Which suburbs would you recommend, considering our workplaces would be in CBD?

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4147 on: September 20, 2017, 11:23:24 am »
Thanks for that. We're going to be a dual income household working in tech, so based on some preliminary math, I don't think affordability would be a problem. Which suburbs would you recommend, considering our workplaces would be in CBD?

What are your occupations mate (if you don't mind me asking)?
Twitter | Blog

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4148 on: September 20, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »

I haven't lived in Sydney, so you're best off asking someone that lives there. I've just visited many times and love the place. I do know that the commute into the CBD can be a bitch and driving isn't an option. So look for a place with decent public transport.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4149 on: September 21, 2017, 02:42:26 am »
What are your occupations mate (if you don't mind me asking)?

Don't mind at all mate. I'm a data analyst and the wife is in market research.

I haven't lived in Sydney, so you're best off asking someone that lives there. I've just visited many times and love the place. I do know that the commute into the CBD can be a bitch and driving isn't an option. So look for a place with decent public transport.

Thanks once again! Yes, I've heard things about the commute, will have to keep that in mind.

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #4150 on: September 21, 2017, 08:10:07 am »

Yeah mate !! Nice one ! You were the one who helped me get my application underway about 4 years ago and I have been here 2 and a half now !!  So glad you got sorted. But Adelaide ?? Really?
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4151 on: September 21, 2017, 08:44:20 am »

Depends on your interests. Beach versus bush, pubs versus small bars, harbour versus alleys, sport versus arts, terrace house versus McMansion, kids versus kidless.

Fill in the spaces and i'll narrow it down.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4152 on: September 21, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »
פ,pɐʎ sdoɹʇs

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #4153 on: September 21, 2017, 01:37:20 pm »
Melbourne >

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #4154 on: September 21, 2017, 02:07:22 pm »
Yeah mate !! Nice one ! You were the one who helped me get my application underway about 4 years ago and I have been here 2 and a half now !!  So glad you got sorted. But Adelaide ?? Really?

Hiya mate,

Yeah, I remember chatting to you about your application. At that time I think mine had just all fallen through!

Adelaide wasn't my ideal choice, but South Australian state nomination was my only way in, and it comes with a 'moral obligation', so yeah, i'll try and adhere to that and look at Adelaide first and foremost. Will ultimately depend on work though.

Hope you and yours are doing well  :wave
Twitter | Blog

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #4155 on: September 22, 2017, 12:29:03 am »
Hiya mate,

Yeah, I remember chatting to you about your application. At that time I think mine had just all fallen through!

Adelaide wasn't my ideal choice, but South Australian state nomination was my only way in, and it comes with a 'moral obligation', so yeah, i'll try and adhere to that and look at Adelaide first and foremost. Will ultimately depend on work though.

Hope you and yours are doing well  :wave

Re: State nomination. I'm pretty sure that's how I got my visa as well (13 years ago). I was a chef at the time and was told by my migration lawyer it would speed things up if you got a state nomination. We got Victoria, which was where we wanted to settle so no issues there.

Having said that, I'm sure there was nothing stopping me working/settling in another state. I definitely didn't have to work as a chef again. Maybe they have tightened it up a bit since then?
We are Liverpool!

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #4156 on: September 22, 2017, 02:08:57 am »

Great to hear that everything is going well for you, Paul. It sounds like you've settled really well. I've never been to Darwin, or NT in general, although I do know someone who lives there now (I met them travelling the east coast) and he seems to love it as well. Each to their own on this, as you say. I met so many people who actually hated Perth, mainly because it wasn't big enough, but that was part of the reason I loved it. You can walk across the city, no problem. I imagine Adelaide is similar in that respect. The lifestyle, and the climate, are probably the two main things that attract us to Australia. The lifestyle overall I just found to be far more appealing that what we're used to in the UK.

When I lived in Aus before I did a heap of different jobs (labouring on building sites, slaughter houses, farms, warehouses etc) and wasn't bothered by that in the slightest. To me it was all an experience (some better than others!). If i'm coming permanently though, and this time with a PR visa and the hope that i'd actually be considered for permanent, professional positions, i'm hoping I can continue my current career over there. This is the thing though - what I do, the majority of the jobs and major software companies are centered around Sydney and Melbourne, although I have seen a few positions come up in Perth over the last few months, but very few, that i've seen at least, in Adelaide. I'm gonna keep an eye on it, but that will ultimately decide where we end up settling I think. Ideally I wouldn't want the move to involve a step back in either of our careers. Nearer the time i'm going to start applying for jobs from here as well. If even one of us could sort something out ahead of time it would make the move a whole lot less stressful from a financial viewpoint.

In terms of when, our plan was (UK) spring/summer 2019, so we've got some time to get some savings together to head over with, and to sort out everything that we need to sort out at home.

We're in Adelaide at the end of November this year, so just missing the Ashes, which is annoying! Decided in the end to go to the 'International rules' game between Ireland and Australia at the Oval instead. Went to a couple of Aussie rules games when I was there before and had absolutely no idea what we going on in front of me. I'm basically one of 'those' lads that people at Anfield moan about on a weekly basis! Should be a good craic though, can't wait!

Appreciate you sharing your experience and pointers as well, it's really helpful to hear from someone who has made the move already  :wave

No worries mate
It's not easy deciding where to settle as so many options & personal variables to consider. Those in the IT , software & media industries then Sydney & Melbourne have the most opportunities but most competition as well for jobs . As was pointed out by another poster Sydney is very much like London great if you earn good & live in a decent area

Your giving yourself plenty of time to save up before coming which is good

On a permanent residency visa you can live anywhere you want . A moral obligation yes but as you don't need to apply for another visa I wouldn't worry about the moral obligation to South Australia.

My visa is different it's state sponsored by the Northern Territory but it's a 489 visa
Basically we have conditions to it . We have to prove we've lived in a regional part of Australia for minimum of 2 years .
We only again had a moral obligation to the Northern Territory . We could live anywhere except metropolitan Sydney,Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth & Canberra.
Northern Territory, South Australia & Tasmania the whole states are classed as regional.

The difference with our moral obligation is once our two years is up we apply for permanent residency & although we could live outside the Northern Territory it was advised to us its very favourable in your future application if to have gone to the state that sponsored you .

You don't have that issue . Darwin chose us really as we were about 18 months into our visa application before we realised it was only moral not a legal obligation. We'd gone to far down the track to Darwin to then change but glad w didn't as we'd never have picked it otherwise.

Lifestyle & work wise best choice made as we've both got good managerial jobs which give us local experience as it's called to put us in good position if we relocate to another part of Australia.

Would we both be in this position if we'd been in Sydney or Melbourne ??. Maybe but easier here no doubt especially as without local experience it can be tough to get work

Wherever you live you'll enjoy it . You been here before which is easier & if you have positive attitude to start with which might mean take any reasonable job to get underway you'll be fine .

If you have any questions on anything feel free mate I'll try to answer 😁
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4157 on: September 22, 2017, 11:14:43 am »
Cracking atmosphere in Adelaide today before the AFL game. For every person at the game, there must be at least a few in pubs around town. Haven't seen the City as lively as tonight in my short time here so far.

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4158 on: September 27, 2017, 11:30:03 am »
Yo yo yo, fellow foreigner checking in, this country is nuts, so much money and so little competition and an endless supply of single backpacker chicks. Amazing

Are we getting another goddamn pommie c*nt? You guys are like roaches down here man. Anyway come to Sydney, this is not even a question amd this is coming from someone who wanted to live in melbourne

Its no where near as expensive as people say unless you want to buy a house. Dont be too adventurous and go to a place like geraldton or broome, they will die as soon as China ends this mining boom

Good luck and if you come to sydney hit me up

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #4159 on: September 27, 2017, 02:33:24 pm »
I've Finally handed in my notice at work and heading for a year to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa with my girlfriend. Ive done my main research and feel like we have got a good plan in place- But i've got a few specific questions from people who have experience-

First let me tell you the vague plan-

Late November- Land in Sydney- We have an air BnB booked for the first week to acclimatise sort out bank accounts etc.
Early December- We are heading to the blue mountains for a few days before heading back to Sydney to watch the Spartak home game and the Derby- (heard cheers bar is the place to go but any other recommendations are welcome)
From there we are thinking about getting a flight from Sydney to Ayers Rock for a 3 to 4 night camping tour (not booked as of yet- it is looking quite expensive- we are happy to pay if it is going to be worth it (suggestions?) - before flying from Ayers rock to Cairns.
From here the plan is vague- we are going to buy a camper either in Cairns or Townsville if possible but the only fixed plans and accommodation we have are Magnetic Island for the Christmas and New Year period (Full Moon Party etc.) and the Melbourne Grand Prix at the end of March.

i guess the questions i have are-

(as above)- Is cheers bar the best place to watch liverpool games in Sydney?

- Optus Sport on a mobile phone contract- i have read that adding optus sport to your phone for 15$ a month gives you access to all premier ship games data free. Does anyone have any reviews on if this is reliable and signal is pretty strong on the east coast throughout?

- (as above) is Ayers Rock worth the visit?

-I am an engineering graduate with 3 years of experience post degree. I know on a WHV you can only work up to 6 months in one job but it is common (or even possible) to gain professional employment? i have some retail experience during Uni but otherwise nothing else.

- I have done research on the obvious things to do up and down the coast but does anyone has any obscure or unknown tips for experiences or places worth a visit in between Cairns and Melbourne?

-Also  any pieces of kit you didn't think to pack which arn't obvious but you would recommend?

Really looking forward to getting out there now- any questions for me please ask!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:36:25 pm by scouse92 »