Author Topic: The Hip Hop Thread  (Read 790375 times)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Hip Hop Thread
« Reply #9120 on: August 4, 2017, 03:46:34 pm »
Remember when i randomly met him at a newsagents in Reading. Unreal. One of my all time favs. RIP.

That must have been a proper moment of truth for ya, sounds like you got there at precisely the right time.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9121 on: August 4, 2017, 05:52:09 pm »
Remember when i randomly met him at a newsagents in Reading. Unreal. One of my all time favs. RIP.
Wow unbelievable, did you talk to him at all?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9122 on: August 4, 2017, 08:30:21 pm »
I find the Guru and MC Solaar relationship a strange one after what I've read about it over the years.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #9123 on: August 4, 2017, 11:54:10 pm »
Does anyone listen to The Pharmacy on Apple Music? It's a great show with a mix of classic hip hop (and a bit of Motown) as well a few new tracks.

I know xzibit is the main DJ but who is he woman on the show? I'm not sure what she contributes to the show apart from constantly making noises. Oooooh aaahhhh yeaaahh.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9124 on: August 5, 2017, 12:18:01 am »
I find the Guru and MC Solaar relationship a strange one after what I've read about it over the years.

That later had to be fake, very strange alright.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #9125 on: August 13, 2017, 07:44:05 pm »
i dont like the beats for DAMN. How do you dump kamasi williams, flying lotus and thunder cat after To Pimp A Butterfly? man.

Listened to Rick Ross for the first time a month ago, cant believe i swerved this guy because he has a shite name. "2 pac, biggie, nas, jayz, rick gayboy ross". mans got skills though.

raekwons latest album too. is dope.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9126 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
Not many young British hip artists coming up is there?
Was talking to a kid last night who actually has some real talent, who's doing grime music. He was saying he doesn't like it really but it's the only music the kids are listening to over here and he has a point tbf. Third guy in the video, some decent bars.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_1Hqr8Scq0

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9127 on: August 17, 2017, 09:31:11 pm »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9128 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:07 pm »
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thefader.com/2017/08/16/doom-jay-electronica-true-lightyears-adult-swim-kmd-crack-in-time/amp
An album between these two would be a hip hop purists dream.

Fuck yes it would. Can't believe we're still waiting on a proper Jay Electronica album, guy's been going for years.

Cheers for the heads up, I'm really looking forward to a new KMD album as Black Bastards is one of my all time favorites. I've got a hell of a lot of people into rap over the years by getting them to listen to that album, seems to be a good gateway drug!

I'm guessing this will pretty much be a new DOOM album, seeing as he was pretty much the group's prime mover aside from his late brother? Wonder why it's being released under the KMD moniker. In any case, the more I think about his, the more excited I get - DOOM's one of my favourite emcees, if not my favourite. Really weird rapping style and delivery but I can't think of a better lyricist, and a great beatmaker too, when he can be bothered. I've got pretty much all the instrumentals he's released over the years and some are really nice to listen too. That Missing Notebook Rhymes thing sounds intriguing too. Happy days.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9129 on: September 5, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »
Not many young British hip artists coming up is there?
Was talking to a kid last night who actually has some real talent, who's doing grime music. He was saying he doesn't like it really but it's the only music the kids are listening to over here and he has a point tbf. Third guy in the video, some decent bars.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_1Hqr8Scq0

Blame the industry that seems to think UK Hip Hop doesn't exist.  You take stations like 1Extra which are supposed to represent 'Urban' UK music.  They completely ignore UKHH and its all Grime.  The Guardian and other publications talk as if Grime is the first time the UK has had its own music which isn't American yet people were rhyming on hip hop beats from the early 90's and beyond.

You have a label in this country called High Focus which is doing great things and have some amazing rappers and producers putting out dope content but as I said they are ignored.

Check out guys like Fliptrix, Dirty Dike, Leafdog, Ocean Wisdom, Dabbla, Four Owls etc etc. 

We defiantly have dope spitters in the UK!!!

If a Grime artist did a track with DJ Premier that would be a big thing but when some British rappers get a beat laced from Premo it was pretty much kept under the radar and got no media support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYOYqn4No1w

Sometimes I think the UK Hip Hop industry is too White for its own good and ask whether that's a reason the scene has always struggled to get more support?
« Last Edit: September 5, 2017, 03:57:21 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9130 on: September 5, 2017, 05:10:51 pm »
Yeah the unfortunate thing is lyricism has taken a back seat in general which is the reason stuff like grime is thriving and the same over the water with Lil uzi, Lil tech, Lil berrata get ya wetter, and such.

I have to admit I don't listen to much UK stuff just because I've never been able to adapt to an accent which should sound familiar but just sounds off, bar probably lowkey but it took me a while with him.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9131 on: September 5, 2017, 05:48:57 pm »
Yeah the unfortunate thing is lyricism has taken a back seat in general which is the reason stuff like grime is thriving and the same over the water with Lil uzi, Lil tech, Lil berrata get ya wetter, and such.

I have to admit I don't listen to much UK stuff just because I've never been able to adapt to an accent which should sound familiar but just sounds off, bar probably lowkey but it took me a while with him.

I remember the first time I played some Jesht to a friend and he burst out laughing as he just wasn't used to hearing about British accent on hip hop but soon become a big fan.

Nowdays I see UKHH as my go to for lyrics and beats. Each to there own but it's more of the hip hop I know and love while in the US I see hip hop publications pushing guys who can't even freestyle for 16 bars.

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9132 on: September 5, 2017, 05:55:37 pm »
Blame the industry that seems to think UK Hip Hop doesn't exist.  You take stations like 1Extra which are supposed to represent 'Urban' UK music.  They completely ignore UKHH and its all Grime.  The Guardian and other publications talk as if Grime is the first time the UK has had its own music which isn't American yet people were rhyming on hip hop beats from the early 90's and beyond.

You have a label in this country called High Focus which is doing great things and have some amazing rappers and producers putting out dope content but as I said they are ignored.

Check out guys like Fliptrix, Dirty Dike, Leafdog, Ocean Wisdom, Dabbla, Four Owls etc etc. 

We defiantly have dope spitters in the UK!!!

If a Grime artist did a track with DJ Premier that would be a big thing but when some British rappers get a beat laced from Premo it was pretty much kept under the radar and got no media support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYOYqn4No1w

Sometimes I think the UK Hip Hop industry is too White for its own good and ask whether that's a reason the scene has always struggled to get more support?

So much good uk hip hop about. As well as the high focus lot there is the classic artists like Task Force, Lewis Parker, skinnyman and of course Jehst. Billy Green is Dead is such a great record from him.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9133 on: September 5, 2017, 06:42:59 pm »

So much good uk hip hop about. As well as the high focus lot there is the classic artists like Task Force, Lewis Parker, skinnyman and of course Jehst. Billy Green is Dead is such a great record from him.

No doubt. Chester P is still my favourite emcee

Offline MattyBoy21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9134 on: September 6, 2017, 09:48:28 am »
Big into Loyle Carner at the moment in terms of UK artists. It was a few months ago now but he did a great video with BT Sport for the Champions League final. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2g_QC9lV-o

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9135 on: September 7, 2017, 04:07:17 pm »
Big into Loyle Carner at the moment in terms of UK artists. It was a few months ago now but he did a great video with BT Sport for the Champions League final. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2g_QC9lV-o

That’s quality, that. Hadn’t seen it before, so cheers for sharing. I really liked his album that came out earlier this year, the kid’s a real talent.

I’m British, but for some reason have never really been into UK hip hop that much – even though there’s a wide geographical spread of artists, loads of them just ended up sounding pretty samey to me and a bit...eh...cockney, I guess? Not that there’s anything wrong with cockneys of course, it just never really did anything for me. Think I just prefer American voices rapping. Weird, I know. Love a lot of Roots Manuva’s stuff though, I think I like the quasi-Jamaican thing he’s got going on with his voice and Brand New Second Hand’s a hell of an album, and I used to be quite into Blak Twang – I realise both are Londoners and Carner too, which sort of invalidates my point about disliking cockney vocal deliveries but fuck it, I’m a hypocrite.

There’s a few others I used to check for too – Task Force, as mentioned above, Ty, Jehst, Lewis Parker to a certain extent. Aspects from Bristol were a lot of fun, my big brother was good mates with one of them so I saw them a few times. I seem to be listening to less rap these days full stop, maybe a symptom of hitting my thirties, and know sweet FA about the current happenings in UK hip hop – that Loyle Carner lad’s the first I’ve paid attention to in years. Can’t get into grime at all – I liked Dizzee Rascal’s first album but mostly for Fix Up Look Sharp, which is pretty much hard bars over an old school hip hop beat anyways.

Whoever said there’s always been good technical MCs in the UK scene has it spot on though. I used to go to a few battles and some of the guys there seemed easily as good as a lot of what was happening in the US, in a freestyle sense at least, and in some cases a lot better. It’s a shame that UK hip hop’s never really got the push some of its practitioners deserved.

@puroresu_kid I’ll check out some of those artists you mentioned. I’ve been neglecting stuff from these shores for far too long.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9136 on: September 7, 2017, 04:54:32 pm »
Tell you what though, Stormzy is a load of over-hyped bollocks. Couldn't even finish his album it was too cringey.

Offline Elf Pistolero_7

• Relegated.
  • Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Spirit Of Shankly
« Reply #9137 on: September 7, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »
Wow unbelievable, did you talk to him at all?

Hell yeah did i speak to him. Got a big hug and an autograph too. :)
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that"

Bill Shankly. He made the people happy.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9138 on: September 12, 2017, 08:32:08 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bnhoo64J8L0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bnhoo64J8L0</a>

Greatest rapper alive!

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9139 on: September 20, 2017, 03:00:26 pm »
Tell you what though, Stormzy is a load of over-hyped bollocks. Couldn't even finish his album it was too cringey.

This. Average at best.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #9140 on: September 21, 2017, 06:46:12 pm »
Throwback thursdays

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5WiEDL6_Ekw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5WiEDL6_Ekw</a>

8)
YNWA

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9141 on: September 27, 2017, 08:35:13 am »
Thought I'd bump this thread with an absolute classic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vwjwKPXy4sg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vwjwKPXy4sg</a>

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9142 on: September 27, 2017, 11:10:18 pm »
"Getting down on their middle eastern instruments"

"Now the kid considered like an Elvis of Baghdad"

Man, Rick was the fucking best. Drives me nuts he didnt drop more since his release. The Art of Storytelling is bona fide classic. Feel like he could still make a complete album today.
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #9143 on: September 28, 2017, 10:04:52 pm »
Maybach Music! Yeah, i liked his sound. like i said just judged a book by its cover and all that.

All about Rapsody's Laila's Wisdom in this moment tho. Its like To Pimp A Butterfly but with Lauren Hill.

Its real beats again rather than synthetic twisty treble and boom bass.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9144 on: October 24, 2017, 07:59:48 pm »
Been listening to Prince Paul's The Redux recently, a redoing of his follow up to A Prince Among Thieves, Politics of the Business. It's a nice little slice of late 90s/early 2000s rap, with appearances from De La Soul, RZA, DOOM, Masta Ace, Jean Grae and others.

https://princepaul1.bandcamp.com/releases

On the subject of DOOM, it seems his Missing Rhymes Notebook thing with Adult Swim has been cancelled. Not really a surprise given his track record over the last ten years or so, but still disappointing. Haven't heard much about the new KMD album either, so I assume the masked lunatic has got bored of making music again and gone back to getting stoned and watching cartoons in his basement. Such a talented bloke, but so fucking frustrating.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9145 on: October 24, 2017, 08:24:48 pm »
Been listening to Prince Paul's The Redux recently, a redoing of his follow up to A Prince Among Thieves, Politics of the Business. It's a nice little slice of late 90s/early 2000s rap, with appearances from De La Soul, RZA, DOOM, Masta Ace, Jean Grae and others.

https://princepaul1.bandcamp.com/releases

On the subject of DOOM, it seems his Missing Rhymes Notebook thing with Adult Swim has been cancelled. Not really a surprise given his track record over the last ten years or so, but still disappointing. Haven't heard much about the new KMD album either, so I assume the masked lunatic has got bored of making music again and gone back to getting stoned and watching cartoons in his basement. Such a talented bloke, but so fucking frustrating.

Never really checked out Prince Paul but I will have a dig into his discography soon.

DOOM is co-producing the new Bishop Nehru album with Kaytranada.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9146 on: October 24, 2017, 09:10:49 pm »
Never really checked out Prince Paul but I will have a dig into his discography soon.

DOOM is co-producing the new Bishop Nehru album with Kaytranada.

Prince Paul's done some good stuff. I haven't heard all of it but I'm guessing you know De La Soul, he produced most of their first three albums, which are my favourites personally - I'm not overly bothered by their more recent output, though some of it's ok. A Prince Among Thieves is a great concept album, and that first Handsome Boy Modelling School thing's ok too. Think he did most of the beats for the first Gravediggaz album and I always liked that one, some funny shit.

That's good about the new Nehru album, although if it's anything like Nehruvian Doom it'll just be him rapping over some beats DOOM did years ago from that Special Herbs series, slightly rejigged. He really doesn't seem to try anymore, which is fair enough - it's his life and career after all - I just miss that early 2000s run where it seemed like he was releasing a brilliant new album every six months.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9147 on: October 29, 2017, 01:52:10 pm »
Really like Big KRIT's new one. Very strong UGK vibes as per, but I have no problem with that at all. As with all double albums, there's a few songs that could be trimmed but it doesn't actually sound that bloated, and most are really good. Love his production.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9148 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:06 pm »
Really like Big KRIT's new one. Very strong UGK vibes as per, but I have no problem with that at all. As with all double albums, there's a few songs that could be trimmed but it doesn't actually sound that bloated, and most are really good. Love his production.

I still need to listen to this. KRIT is one of the most underrated rappers around right now.

I’ve been on a massive Pusha T vibe lately, MNIMN is a classic album.

King Push needs to hurry up and drop!

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9149 on: October 29, 2017, 07:11:05 pm »
I still need to listen to this. KRIT is one of the most underrated rappers around right now.

I’ve been on a massive Pusha T vibe lately, MNIMN is a classic album.

Completely agree mate, think he should be huge, love his voice and his beats are great, you can tell he's got a real reverence for old soul music, a proper crate digger. Maybe his stuff's too underground for the mainstream and too underground for the mainstream? Dunno really. I guess the fact that a lot of his stuff sounds like it could have been made a decade or two ago doesn't help, though that's probably why I like him so much.

Don't know any of Pusha T's stuff but I should really check it out, I thought Hell Hath no Fury was a proper cold, hard classic. Is MNIMN his  best work?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Hip Hop Thread
« Reply #9150 on: October 29, 2017, 07:25:04 pm »
Completely agree mate, think he should be huge, love his voice and his beats are great, you can tell he's got a real reverence for old soul music, a proper crate digger. Maybe his stuff's too underground for the mainstream and too underground for the mainstream? Dunno really. I guess the fact that a lot of his stuff sounds like it could have been made a decade or two ago doesn't help, though that's probably why I like him so much.

Don't know any of Pusha T's stuff but I should really check it out, I thought Hell Hath no Fury was a proper cold, hard classic. Is MNIMN his  best work?

It is a strange one with KRIT, I thought back when I first heard him a few years ago he would of been as massive as Kendrick but he seems to be a lot more low-key. I love the UGK and OutKast vibes throughout his music and the Scarface influence in his rhymes.

MNIMN is his best work IMO but check out Fear Of God, King Push - Darkest Before Dawn and also the single track Exodus 23:1 which is a Wayne and Drake diss and is great.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9151 on: October 29, 2017, 08:06:19 pm »
Cheers man, I'll see what I can find and have a listen.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9152 on: November 25, 2017, 02:52:16 pm »
Only just checked out 4eva Is A Mighty Long Time, wow, if Kendrick released THIS album it would be fucking huge.

One of the best albums of the year.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9153 on: November 26, 2017, 04:32:15 pm »
Don't know if anyone on here heard about it but Ma$e and Cam'ron have been beefing and Ma$e dropped a diss record yesterday on Ether/Takeover levels.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xGz_FZ0ePwE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xGz_FZ0ePwE</a>

Online wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9154 on: November 27, 2017, 11:56:34 am »
Don't know if anyone on here heard about it but Ma$e and Cam'ron have been beefing and Ma$e dropped a diss record yesterday on Ether/Takeover levels.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xGz_FZ0ePwE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xGz_FZ0ePwE</a>

"Imagine 20 years with a bitter bitch and the same drama...", started it off nicely.
That's how you eviscerate someone on a track.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:58:51 am by wheresnemeth »
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9155 on: November 27, 2017, 04:39:39 pm »
Well, this came out 10 days ago. Cyhi ghostwrites for Kanye and is ridiculously talented. Id give this a go:

He has an amazing interview with VladTV from before, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaaaI-yKsvY&t=9s

If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9156 on: November 27, 2017, 04:49:13 pm »
Well, this came out 10 days ago. Cyhi ghostwrites for Kanye and is ridiculously talented. Id give this a go:

He has an amazing interview with VladTV from before, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaaaI-yKsvY&t=9s

You know I've been bigging up Cyhi for the longest, I love the album he didn't disappoint.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #9157 on: November 27, 2017, 05:14:52 pm »
Yeah, he's a lyrical beast

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9158 on: December 1, 2017, 08:16:23 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xXWxHLj73YY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xXWxHLj73YY</a>

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9159 on: December 3, 2017, 09:47:34 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6_ZT63RPqWw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6_ZT63RPqWw</a>

Sunday morning's are perfect for some Black Thought  8)