Author Topic: Tribute Bands  (Read 1427 times)

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
Tribute Bands
« on: July 27, 2008, 08:25:17 pm »
For some reason ever since i saw the Australian Doors whilst i was in college i have enjoyed cover bands.

Last night i had the pleasure to watch tribute bands covering The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and finally Pink Floyd.

Yea the talent is hit and miss and the vocals are usually shocking but when you add in the comedic value it seems to add up to a cracking night out

Anyone else enjoy cover bands on occasion?
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: Tribute Bands
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:29:05 pm »
Australian Doors are top notch, Rattle & Hum the U2 Tribute are very very good also. I hear the Australian Pink Floyd are excellent as are the Stoned Roses.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:19:09 pm »
I used to work for/with a pair of artists who got really high on 'tribute bands'. I worked for them very early on and now they do all of Nick Cave's videos. They've done some brilliant stuff, knuckle in mouth punching the air type stuff using tribute artists or organising tribute type events. Google Iain&Jane Nick Cave and you might come across some goodies.

I decided last week that I was going to form my own tribute band, but just for a 15 minute gig... whether I do it or not (or if i get others to agree) remains to be seen.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:15:47 pm »
I love tribute bands - some are really good - check out 'The Musical Box' who do Gabriel era Genesis. Genesis lent them their equipment so they could have replicas made, and acess to all of their stage set ups and slides etc. The result is stunning - Peter Gabriel took his children to see them so they could see what their Dad used to be like!
 There are some good Zeppelin tribute bands about too - Led Zep and Letz Zep (who are in in Southport soon) for example. There's also an American all girl Zep tribute band called Lez Zeppelin who are surprisingly good.

Sure, some of them are pretty ropey, but most of the ones I've seen have something to recommend them.

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:56:26 pm »
I love tribute bands - some are really good - check out 'The Musical Box' who do Gabriel era Genesis. Genesis lent them their equipment so they could have replicas made, and acess to all of their stage set ups and slides etc. The result is stunning - Peter Gabriel took his children to see them so they could see what their Dad used to be like!
 There are some good Zeppelin tribute bands about too - Led Zep and Letz Zep (who are in in Southport soon) for example. There's also an American all girl Zep tribute band called Lez Zeppelin who are surprisingly good.

Sure, some of them are pretty ropey, but most of the ones I've seen have something to recommend them.

I watched "Led Zep Again" at the Whiskey Agogo and they were absolutely fantastic. Flawless performance

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:15:38 pm »
I watched "Led Zep Again" at the Whiskey Agogo and they were absolutely fantastic. Flawless performance

The guitarist for Ledzepagain posts on FBO, the Led Zep mailing list (Steve I think) - he told us that Jimmy Page turned up at one of their shows a few years ago, which naturally made him a bit nervous, but when he met him afterwards, he was very complimentary. I know that they are one of the top Zeppelin tribute bands in the US, but I've never actually seen them. (I think they had some stuff on Youtube once)

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 02:40:03 pm »
The guitarist for Ledzepagain posts on FBO, the Led Zep mailing list (Steve I think) - he told us that Jimmy Page turned up at one of their shows a few years ago, which naturally made him a bit nervous, but when he met him afterwards, he was very complimentary. I know that they are one of the top Zeppelin tribute bands in the US, but I've never actually seen them. (I think they had some stuff on Youtube once)

That's a nice story. Pretty sure I've seen them on youtube at somepoint

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:52:28 pm »
Reviving an old thread.  Anyone seen any decent tribute bands recently?  Thinking about going to see the Antarctic Monkeys, my mate went last week and said they were pretty good.  Would be interested in seeing a Nirvana tribute band but the one coming up in Google (Nirvana UK) don't appear to be heading this way anytime soon.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 11:25:49 am »
Pretty sure Bjorn Again are the most succesful tribute band ever. With exception of Oasis.  ::)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 01:24:01 pm »
For those of us of a certain vintage. The Small Fakers are very good. Manage to capture the spirit of the Small Faces very well and the lad who 'plays' Steve Marriot has him off to a T. They're London based but are often touring and have played the Cavern on a few occasions. Endorsed by Kenny Jones who's sat in with them a few times and Steve Marriot's widow.

Small Fakers are often on a double bill with 'Who's Who'. Raucous night all round for all you Mods out there.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:29:34 pm »
The only ones I've actually seen lately are Letz Zep, who played the Epstein last October - they are pretty good and the singer is from Liverpool. Worth looking out if you're a Zeppelin fan.
  I've seen a few online, who are worth listening to. The female Iron Maiden tribute, The Iron Maidens and Zepparella, a female Zep tribute are interesting. There are the Glimmer Twins (Rolling Stones), Vesbim Floyd (Pink Floyd), and Rain (The Beatles). There's a Dutch band called The Watch who regularly do Genesis tribute shows, but also produce some decent original stuff too. There's a guy called Elvis Prestello, who does Elvis Costello covers, but in the style of Elvis Presley - make of that what you will!

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »
For those of us of a certain vintage. The Small Fakers are very good. Manage to capture the spirit of the Small Faces very well and the lad who 'plays' Steve Marriot has him off to a T. They're London based but are often touring and have played the Cavern on a few occasions. Endorsed by Kenny Jones who's sat in with them a few times and Steve Marriot's widow.

Small Fakers are often on a double bill with 'Who's Who'. Raucous night all round for all you Mods out there.

We went to see 'The Kinx' the other month.

They did every hit record The Kinks ever had.  Loved it and had not heard 'Apeman' for fucking years.  :)

Brilliant night out

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 1, 2018, 12:47:59 am »
Going to see The Eagles tribute band the 'Illegal Eagles' tomorrow at the Brindley Theatre in Runcorn

Never got to see the original band so this will have to do.  I hear they are very good and at least its one of them where i know i'll know every song. :)