Author Topic: Shanklyboy's and Fat Scousers ( Leo who's still alive ) auld arse thread  (Read 4005643 times)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!
« Reply #41720 on: November 17, 2017, 11:17:54 am »

Something me mam & dad used to always listen to,probably more appreciated here than in the vid thread..

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/ThW7yGiXdCQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/ThW7yGiXdCQ</a>
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #41721 on: November 17, 2017, 01:08:22 pm »

Maggie May is alive and kicking.

She had some problems with her computer, wasn't able to send or receive emails but now has a new laptop and has promised to get posting again and let us all know she's okay!

Her health has drastically improved and she's eating properly now and she sounded as fit as a fiddle on the phone. That's some good news on an otherwise sad day.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #41722 on: November 17, 2017, 10:27:05 pm »
From memory, he certainly had a bit of an obsession with excitedly saying "Chivers!" in every other sentence back in the early to mid 70's.

I might be wrong but he seemed to be the voice of BBC football in the 60s.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #41723 on: November 17, 2017, 11:50:34 pm »

Delighted to see you back and in fine fettle Ms May.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #41724 on: November 18, 2017, 12:02:18 am »
I might be wrong but he seemed to be the voice of BBC football in the 60s.

You could be right, it's all a very long time ago now.

But I do remember some commentator back then always getting very excited over Chivers all the time when he played for Tottenham (or England) and in my mind I thought it might have been Wolstenholme. The way his name was said by whoever, or at least how I remember it, was very reminiscent of the shouts by some commentators for 'Rooney...' in more recent years.

It could well have been Coleman.

Looking back, and though I never warmed to him in any shape or form, I suppose Chivers was actually a pretty good goal scorer, he could certainly knock them in, as he did against us unfortunately a few times.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #41725 on: November 18, 2017, 05:52:05 pm »
Hold your plums was great. I felt a bit sorry for the Moenchengladbach girl, though, she was clearly flustered. On the other hand, the girl for 'which European Country still drives on the left?' Was 'all in'. I near fell off my chair when she spouted out 'I'm in the back kitchen'

https://youtu.be/a7APmG5qN5A

Victorious and glorious....

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #41726 on: November 18, 2017, 09:09:31 pm »
Delighted to see you back and in fine fettle Ms May.

Thank you Sweetstuff.  Hopes it's still hanging proud and rampbant   :o :o :lickin :-*
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41727 on: November 19, 2017, 03:37:59 pm »
Hold your plums was great. I felt a bit sorry for the Moenchengladbach girl, though, she was clearly flustered. On the other hand, the girl for 'which European Country still drives on the left?' Was 'all in'. I near fell off my chair when she spouted out 'I'm in the back kitchen'

https://youtu.be/a7APmG5qN5A

Whenever I think of "Hold Your Plums" that one immediately springs to mind, without a doubt one of the funniest pieces of radio I've ever heard and it still makes me laugh now.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:40:14 pm by kopite.keith »
When in Rome...

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41728 on: November 19, 2017, 03:51:08 pm »
Whenever I think of "Hold Your Plums" that one immediately springs to mind, without a doubt one of the funniest pieces of radio I've ever heard and it still makes me laugh now.

Radio City, right? I remember that show, had me in stitches too. I also loved, "What have I got.......*diddlydee!*.......in me 'and?!"

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #41729 on: November 19, 2017, 04:17:29 pm »
Hilarious.
Sunday morning staple in me ma's house that & there were hundreds alike.
"Where are yer now"?
"I'm in the back kitchen"  :lmao

Was that a scouse thing or national..the back kitchen.
Radio Merseyside it was Jim.

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41730 on: November 23, 2017, 10:04:11 pm »
Bump
When in Rome...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #41731 on: November 24, 2017, 12:19:51 am »
The back kitchen is a Manc/Lancs term. Say the same in Manchester matey. By the way, to my recollection, there never was any FRONT kitchen in any house I ever walked into!! ;D ;D ;D
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #41732 on: November 24, 2017, 07:45:05 am »
By the way, to my recollection, there never was any FRONT kitchen in any house I ever walked into!!
It usually wasn’t the “kitchen” either – just “back kitchen”. I’ve only come across this in Liverpool, but maybe other people could enlighten us?

I understand that kitchens usually were, and are, at the back. Good stuff in the parlour at the front, just in case anyone looked in. At the back was kitchen, outside toilet, back yard leading on to the alley.

My good friend, Google, tells me that a back kitchen is a room off the main kitchen, a scullery. Maybe we all came from aristocratic families where the servants would dress the game and gut the fish in a side room….

The only thing I can think of is that a lot of cooking was done on open hearths. My great-grandmother was apparently a terrible cook, but this was how she prepared food. On my Dad’s side, I recall a story about someone knocking the pot over and getting cinders in the evening meal. If you’d paid for a coal fire it made sense to eke out every drop of heat.

It seems the back kitchen may be making a bit of a come back, now the kitchen is an open plan designer area where you sit around the Aga, eating whatever the Deliveroo man has just brought round.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41733 on: November 24, 2017, 09:35:26 am »
It usually wasn’t the “kitchen” either – just “back kitchen”. I’ve only come across this in Liverpool, but maybe other people could enlighten us?

The classic 2 up 2 down (or 2 and a half up - plus cellar! - in the case of Grandma White's rather older and better built dwelling at 15 Barmouth Street Lower Openshaw Manchester 11 - now long demolished) consisted of a 14ft long lobby off which to the left was the parlour (no-one EVER lived in the parlour o' course as it contained the family's treasures. Maybe you could squeeze a smallish 3 piece suite in there and a wind up gramophone and a posh-ish china cabinet and sideboard but that was about it jam-packed full!)

The living space was centered around a square dining table (maybe 4ft x 4ft) and a couple of sturdy chairs. Built in ceiling to floor wall cupboards flanked the fireplace which originally had held the old cooking range (the one's you needed to black-lead to make them shine). Cooking on the fire had used to have been done by pivoting the big cooking pot (usually cast iron and weighed a ton!) via the swingable panstand over the flames to cook your stew. soups or boil your water in a mini-cauldron. Where Grandma White's range had long gone, my mam's granny - yep I did know and love my great-granny "Nana"'s 2-up/2-down - still had her original range in tact and she still used it!!

Off the living room at the back right hand corner - which incidentally never was referenced as having any specific name - there was a 5 foot square scullery / kitchen with a sink sited in front of the back window, a door to the left of the sink out into the back yard and toilet. Wedged into 3 feet of space on the opposite wall to that back door was the gas cooker. Now in Gran's scullery this was the door to the CELLAR!! Couldn't tell you what was down there - never ventured or better put was never allowed to venture down there. I do know that outside the front of the house (under the parlour window) was a cast iron plate covering the access to the cellar for the coal deliveries which were slid down into said cellar.

Top of the lobby was the staircase and at the top of the stairs is where her "piece de resistance" (the half of the 2 and a half upstairs rooms) was to be found. A tiny boxroom holding only a single bed, a bedside rough wood cabinet and one chair which acted as the "wardrobe" when you got undressed for bed. I thought this was a magical little third room that we never had had nor seen.

How we all (6 kids and Mam and Dad) squeezed ourselves into our  little 2 up - 2 down 6 minutes walk away from Gran's "posher pad" remains one of life's mysteries - a lingering insoluble conundrum with which we all of us have had to live. . . . .
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:02:30 am by JohnnoWhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #41734 on: November 25, 2017, 10:58:55 am »
I really do love this thread!

My take on a back kitchen having grown up in a 3 bed terrace is that the kitchen we use now was the back kitchen..the room we now call the back living room was the kitchen & the front living room was just the living room or the parlour..which was a no go area for kids/playing til the thro lounge was created.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41735 on: November 25, 2017, 12:23:55 pm »
I really do love this thread!

My take on a back kitchen having grown up in a 3 bed terrace is that the kitchen we use now was the back kitchen..the room we now call the back living room was the kitchen & the front living room was just the living room or the parlour..which was a no go area for kids/playing til the thro lounge was created.

A thro lounge FFS!!  Posh or what?? ;D ;D ;D

Nearest we came to having a third downstairs space that we could call a room was when me Dad God rest him built a wooden lean-to over part of the back-yard which incorporated the outside bog and moved the cooker and the kitchen sink into it. Not ultra hygienic cooking right outside the only kazi I hear you thinking - and you'd be right. But I'll tell yer what, whether it was just luck I don't know but NONE of us kids ever got the kind strike-yer-down illnesses that seem prevalent today. I never knew for certain that me Dad could do plumbing, gas fitting and move electrical wiring. Come to think of it, don't think he did either. . . . :o :o :o :P

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #41736 on: November 25, 2017, 12:40:00 pm »
A thro lounge FFS!!  Posh or what?? ;D ;D ;D

Nearest we came to having a third downstairs space that we could call a room was when me Dad God rest him built a wooden lean-to over part of the back-yard which incorporated the outside bog and moved the cooker and the kitchen sink into it. Not ultra hygienic cooking right outside the only kazi I hear you thinking - and you'd be right. But I'll tell yer what, whether it was just luck I don't know but NONE of us kids ever got the kind strike-yer-down illnesses that seem prevalent today. I never knew for certain that me Dad could do plumbing, gas fitting and move electrical wiring. Come to think of it, don't think he did either. . . . :o :o :o :P

;D

The joys of our youth eh!
Took me into my teens to appreciate how me mam managed to cope with us..
4 lads in 1 bedroom..a double bed & a single bed next to each other..another brother out & married at 17 an a sister who spent most of her childhood living at me nans..understandable & she loved it there too,no surprise seeing us brothers knocking 7 bells out of each other on a daily basis & thats without me arl fellas interventions.
Moving up in the world & getting an inside w/c & bath..you'd get snipes.."eeeee you have an inside toilet,must stink'.
I was more impressed at not having to have a wash down either sitting on the kitchen sink or later bathing in a tin bath in the yard!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41737 on: November 25, 2017, 12:41:05 pm »
A mate of mine was at the 1966 world cup at Wembley (jammy bastard!) him and his dad and he tells me that sitting next to them was one old feller with an empty seat by him. It was getting close to KO time and then me mate's dad asked how come the seat was still unfilled. The old man looked very sad and lonely and said " It was intended for my wife as we've both been mad football fans and had been to a couple of other world cup finals and we vowed we'd come to every other final afterwards as long as we were able. Sadly she died and this seat should have been for her."

Me mate's Dad said he was very sorry to hear of the fella's loss and ventured to suggest that under the very sad circumstances, maybe the old fella could have sold his tickets to some friends. The old fella shrugged and said there was no-one to sell them to. Me mate's Dad said surely there were some family friends that would have come in their place. The old fella said "no there aren't because they're all carrying her coffin at the crem." Bum-tish!!!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #41738 on: November 26, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »
Popped in to give a quick update on my youngest sister.

She underwent a biopsy the other day and her new heart is still working very well, and small things, she has amazed the Doctors and has opened her eyes and started to acknowledge things by movement of her fingers, something the other week we were told would likely not happen.

They've started a small amount of physio, she's strapped to a table that tilts upward in order to to try and get her muscles back in operation, and also have reduced her dialysis to every other day though she's still in intensive for the forseeable future.

Since she currently has a tracheostomy, she can't speak yet, but that's next on the todo list.

It will be a long and fraught road to any meaningful recovery and and we still don't know the full extent of any brain damage yet, but the team at Harefield are doing a simply magnificent job for which we are indebted.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41739 on: November 26, 2017, 04:31:02 pm »
In the darkness that has surrounded her and your family mate - a small glimmer of hope arises. May it continue successfully. Please God.

Best wishes to you all.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #41740 on: November 26, 2017, 06:02:00 pm »
Aye best wishes Gulley.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41741 on: November 26, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »
Best wishes to you all Gulley mate.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41742 on: November 26, 2017, 06:43:10 pm »
Echoing all those sentiments, Gulley - I hope things continue to improve.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #41743 on: November 26, 2017, 07:32:31 pm »
Best wishes to your sister, Gulley. I hope she makes a speedy recovery
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 10:06:09 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41744 on: November 26, 2017, 07:44:08 pm »
  ;D

The joys of our youth eh!
Took me into my teens to appreciate how me mam managed to cope with us..
4 lads in 1 bedroom..a double bed & a single bed next to each other..another brother out & married at 17 an a sister who spent most of her childhood living at me nans..understandable & she loved it there too,no surprise seeing us brothers knocking 7 bells out of each other on a daily basis & thats without me arl fellas interventions.
Moving up in the world & getting an inside w/c & bath..you'd get snipes.."eeeee you have an inside toilet,must stink'.
I was more impressed at not having to have a wash down either sitting on the kitchen sink or later bathing in a tin bath in the yard!

When I was about 5/6 we lived in an old house, due to be demolished just off Mill Street. It had its very own bomb site next door so a great play ground. The problem was that the outside toilet could only be accessed by going through the damp, musty, spiderweb infested cellar. Bad enough during the day but a nightmare at night. We had a chamberpot for me amd my younger sister but as I was the alpha male I refused to use it so my dad took me through the cellar a couple of times. One time he told me to go on my own and gave me a torch. Bravely I took off and, as I just started St Malachy's and becoming fully versed in the rhythms of Catholicism, decided to sing a hymn to keep the ghosts at bay. The ghosts kept away but the spider webs looked pretty scary in the torch light.

We moved from here to what was historically called a "Council House". A thing of myth now.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #41745 on: November 26, 2017, 10:26:43 pm »
Aye, all the best for your sister Gull.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #41746 on: November 27, 2017, 08:42:01 am »
When I was about 5/6 we lived in an old house, due to be demolished just off Mill Street. It had its very own bomb site next door so a great play ground. The problem was that the outside toilet could only be accessed by going through the damp, musty, spiderweb infested cellar. Bad enough during the day but a nightmare at night. We had a chamberpot for me amd my younger sister but as I was the alpha male I refused to use it so my dad took me through the cellar a couple of times. One time he told me to go on my own and gave me a torch. Bravely I took off and, as I just started St Malachy's and becoming fully versed in the rhythms of Catholicism, decided to sing a hymn to keep the ghosts at bay. The ghosts kept away but the spider webs looked pretty scary in the torch light.

We moved from here to what was historically called a "Council House". A thing of myth now.

Is why i like this thread so much..hearing little stories like that.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41747 on: November 27, 2017, 09:00:40 am »

Mill St and St Malachy's where mate? We had a St Malachy's in Collyhurst Manchester not very far from where the Etihad sits today. Of course, the biggest of the 2 Catholic schools in Collyhurst was St Patrick's on Livesey Street.

Mill St (and its various local name-change extensions) ran from Openshaw, through Bradford (our parish church St. Brigid's stood on it), edged onto a bit of Clayton and led on up to Miles Platting and Collyhurst. The common thread here was Mill St which linked Ashton Old Road with Ashton New Road. 

The rectangle bordered by Viaduct Street in the west closest to the city centre, Mill St in the East and the Old Road and the New road was my childhood neighbourhood. All of these abutting districts of east/central Manchester were no greater than 4 or so  miles from Piccadilly Gardens in the city centre.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41748 on: November 27, 2017, 01:30:14 pm »
Mill St and St Malachy's where mate? We had a St Malachy's in Collyhurst Manchester not very far from where the Etihad sits today. Of course, the biggest of the 2 Catholic schools in Collyhurst was St Patrick's on Livesey Street.

Mill St (and its various local name-change extensions) ran from Openshaw, through Bradford (our parish church St. Brigid's stood on it), edged onto a bit of Clayton and led on up to Miles Platting and Collyhurst. The common thread here was Mill St which linked Ashton Old Road with Ashton New Road. 

The rectangle bordered by Viaduct Street in the west closest to the city centre, Mill St in the East and the Old Road and the New road was my childhood neighbourhood. All of these abutting districts of east/central Manchester were no greater than 4 or so  miles from Piccadilly Gardens in the city centre.

Mill St in Dingle.

It was on the Catholic/Orange split and one day our Orange neighbour, Mrs Toner, asked my mum if she could take me to see the band. My mum shouted down it was fine and I heard the sound of a band coming down Mill Street. Suddenly my mum, who just realised it was the 12th July, ran out and dragged me indoors.

Around the same time I heard all the mum's talking about how sad it was that all those young men died in the plane. Bearing in mind the war had only finished 13 years ago and the bomb sites were evidence of the air war I assumed we were at war again. Later in the day my dad's Echo was carrying the story of the Munich air crash. I was still a bit confused, Munich was in Germany......but my dad told me they were coming back from a football match. I also have vague memories of a calypso tribute? song which came out after the crash.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41749 on: November 27, 2017, 01:47:12 pm »
Mill St in Dingle.

It was on the Catholic/Orange split and one day our Orange neighbour, Mrs Toner, asked my mum if she could take me to see the band. My mum shouted down it was fine and I heard the sound of a band coming down Mill Street. Suddenly my mum, who just realised it was the 12th July, ran out and dragged me indoors.
Top of Park Road, up by the bizzie station? I used to live bottom end of Park Rd. The Lodge marches were alway a bit of a puzzling entertainment for a young lad who never really "got" what is was all about until later......didn't they used to mark time and stop playing when they went past a Catholic church??

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41750 on: November 27, 2017, 04:10:01 pm »
Top of Park Road, up by the bizzie station? I used to live bottom end of Park Rd. The Lodge marches were alway a bit of a puzzling entertainment for a young lad who never really "got" what is was all about until later......didn't they used to mark time and stop playing when they went past a Catholic church??

I wouldn't know as my mum wouldn't let me go see them. ;)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41751 on: November 27, 2017, 04:19:13 pm »
I wouldn't know as my mum wouldn't let me go see them. ;)
Touché ;D

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41752 on: November 27, 2017, 04:41:07 pm »
Mill St in Dingle.

Around the same time I heard all the mum's talking about how sad it was that all those young men died in the plane. Bearing in mind the war had only finished 13 years ago and the bomb sites were evidence of the air war I assumed we were at war again. Later in the day my dad's Echo was carrying the story of the Munich air crash. I was still a bit confused, Munich was in Germany......but my dad told me they were coming back from a football match. I also have vague memories of a calypso tribute? song which came out after the crash.

Feb 6th 1958 a Thursday it was. I remember getting off the bus coming home from school at the corner of Ashton Old Road and had been hearing mumbled conversations on the bus. Everything carried an air of misery, no laughing no joking - very weird. I met my grandad coming out of work and as we walked home, we saw the billboards outside the paper shop saying "United plane crashes at Munich - Many dead".

To say that our neighbourhood was in a state of shock and turmoil was an understatement. First time I ever heard Dad crying - horrible night it was. All of us who had a telly were gathered around it waiting for the latest news updates from the BBC. Neighbours who didn't have one were in with us watching the horrible news breaking.

The calypso was recorded I think before the crash in Munich  written by a Trinidadian Edric Connor, who moved to England from Trinidad in 1944. He wrote it in 1953 a few years before the crash but everyone thinks it was Edmundo Ros's song because he was more famous.

http://thosediamondlights.com/fitba/Edric%20Conner%20-%20Manchester%20United%20Calypso.mp3

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41753 on: November 27, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »
Feb 6th 1958 a Thursday it was. I remember getting off the bus coming home from school at the corner of Ashton Old Road and had been hearing mumbled conversations on the bus. Everything carried an air of misery, no laughing no joking - very weird. I met my grandad coming out of work and as we walked home, we saw the billboards outside the paper shop saying "United plane crashes at Munich - Many dead".

To say that our neighbourhood was in a state of shock and turmoil was an understatement. First time I ever heard Dad crying - horrible night it was. All of us who had a telly were gathered around it waiting for the latest news updates from the BBC. Neighbours who didn't have one were in with us watching the horrible news breaking.

The calypso was recorded I think before the crash in Munich  written by a Trinidadian Edric Connor, who moved to England from Trinidad in 1944. He wrote it in 1953 a few years before the crash but everyone thinks it was Edmundo Ros's song because he was more famous.

http://thosediamondlights.com/fitba/Edric%20Conner%20-%20Manchester%20United%20Calypso.mp3

That calypso is ten times better than any team songs recorded - with the exception of the Anfield Rap, of course. ;)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41754 on: November 27, 2017, 05:48:54 pm »
That calypso is ten times better than any team songs recorded - with the exception of the Anfield Rap, of course. ;)

Naturally mate . . . . :P ::)

We were from a community that had a pretty big Irish Catholic population - hence St Brigid's church. When the whit walks were done in Manchester, we had our own Irish pipe band - no tartans just the plain saffron kilt with an over the shoulder maroon shawl. The main banner carried an image of the saint and proclaimed her as "Mary of the Gael". She's the patroness of Ireland and in our church were two massive statues either sdie of the high altar. One of St Brigid and the other one was of St Patrick. The parish was in truth an overspill from down Ashton New Road towards the city centre in Ancoats St. Anne's known as "little Ireland". It was my nin's parish as a girl and all of the Keelans in the Manchester phone book (her family name) might not know this but they all stem from the 6 brothers her uncles. In fact, my son's best mate since childhood  (and he's now 49) is related to us through his mother Isabel who a long time later we discovered was my nin's first cousin though much younger!! I should have known there was some connection as she was the absolute image of my nin - of course both sadly long dead and gone. Funny old world eh?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:52:29 pm by JohnnoWhite »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41755 on: November 27, 2017, 07:05:22 pm »
hehe, must have been a different Orange Lodge.  I was born in the South End (St.Pats) but moved to Norris Green when very young.  The Norris Green lodge used to march to Walton Hall Park most weekends, Southport on the 12th.  They would 'mark time', as you say, marching back up Utting Avenue, until they got to St.Teresa's and would strike up the band again as they marched past the church!  Like yourself, we were too young to appreciate the significance and, even though being Catholic, would follow them down Carr Lane to their meeting point in Swallowhurst.  Thankfully, it was never that antagonistic in my day, although my Nan would talk about 'the George Wise-ers'. If you read up on Liverpool life in the mid 1800s/ early 1900s, there were some nasty conflicts between the Orange and the Green around St.Pats, Holy Cross and St. Anthony's back in those days. Hopefully well behind us. Maybe Fat Scouser will make an appearance to give his tuppence worth from the Orange perspective. Where have you been, Leo?  ;) 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/articles/2009/06/18/history_sectarian_1909_feature.shtml

PS, just remembered, on a wall along Netherfield Road, someone had scrawled in paint "God Bless Our Pope", to which someone edited by adding "YE" on the end.

I worked with a bloke in the late 70s whose nan got seven days for pulling King Billy (not the real one, a sort of Battle of the Boyne reanactor) off his horse somewhere around Scotty.

Thankfully those days seem to have gone for good although it still seems to have some steam in Glasgow.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #41756 on: November 27, 2017, 09:02:16 pm »
I worked with a bloke in the late 70s whose nan got seven days for pulling King Billy (not the real one, a sort of Battle of the Boyne reanactor) off his horse somewhere around Scotty.

Thankfully those days seem to have gone for good although it still seems to have some steam in Glasgow.

Never argue with your Nan!
Victorious and glorious....

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41757 on: November 27, 2017, 10:15:47 pm »
hehe, must have been a different Orange Lodge.  I was born in the South End (St.Pats) but moved to Norris Green when very young.  The Norris Green lodge used to march to Walton Hall Park most weekends, Southport on the 12th.  They would 'mark time', as you say, marching back up Utting Avenue, until they got to St.Teresa's and would strike up the band again as they marched past the church!  Like yourself, we were too young to appreciate the significance and, even though being Catholic, would follow them down Carr Lane to their meeting point in Swallowhurst.  Thankfully, it was never that antagonistic in my day, although my Nan would talk about 'the George Wise-ers'. If you read up on Liverpool life in the mid 1800s/ early 1900s, there were some nasty conflicts between the Orange and the Green around St.Pats, Holy Cross and St. Anthony's back in those days. Hopefully well behind us. Maybe Fat Scouser will make an appearance to give his tuppence worth from the Orange perspective. Where have you been, Leo?  ;) 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/articles/2009/06/18/history_sectarian_1909_feature.shtml

PS, just remembered, on a wall along Netherfield Road, someone had scrawled in paint "God Bless Our Pope", to which someone edited by adding "YE" on the end. 

Manchester areas could be just as bad. My nin told me the story of the building of St Francis's the Monastery church in Gorton (although technically it was a friary with Franciscan friars tending to the needs of the Victorian poor in Gorton). The locals decided it was a monastery regardless of the technical accuracy and the name stuck. I believe it was likely a handed down family account as nin wasn't born until 1905.

Seemingly, Protestants maybe Orange order I don't know would come at night during the mid 1860's and destroy any building work done during the day. The friars appealed for assistance and some many hundreds of Irishman from all around Manchester and beyond came and occupied the building site sleeping rough on site to keep it safe. Pitched battles ensued until the Orangemen were finally driven off and the Friary Church designed by Pugin was begun and consecrated in 1867 though not finally completed until 1872. For the past 20 years it has been on the list of the WORLD'S 100 most endangered buildings. Absolutely beautiful building - stunning though no longer a functioning church.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorton_Monastery
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:20:28 am by JohnnoWhite »

Offline kopite.keith

• Offical OAP
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41758 on: November 27, 2017, 10:17:30 pm »
Me dad was brought up in the Dingle in Beaufort (pronounced Bewfort) Street. He told me of when he was a kid he was seen by his uncle sneaking into St Malachy's Church and making the sign of the cross, said uncle informed his dad who duly handed out a walloping for his misdemeanour.

Sincere wishes to you Gulley.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:23:24 pm by kopite.keith »
When in Rome...

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41759 on: November 27, 2017, 10:18:02 pm »
I watched the 1974 Cup Final on a colour TV at a mates house, the only colour set in the neighbourhood.

As the mate was, and still is a full on Bitter, he pissed himself when our screams of joy turned to a full on fume when Lindsay's goal was wrongly disallowed.

The final score was sweet, particularly after Malcolm MDonald sounding off pre match.

Saw this game on some sports channel a while back. I watched it live at the time. I remember the build up because there was near or next to no build up as I lived in Ireland. No tv coverage that I can remember. I do remember reading anything I could get my hands on. The battle on the terraces, which set of supporters could outsing the other... Shanks was bigging us up to win there too... innocent times eh !
Anyway I have been rambling a bit. What I wanted to say was what amazed me re-watching it was the ferocity and manliness (!!) of it all. They played hard, they tackled hard, got up,no fuss and went on regardless. No diving, no rolling around, no whining at the ref. It really stood out as the big difference betweem then and now. A different time eh.